Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005
How important is it to match a sub to the rest of your speaker system? I am lucky enough to be inheriting a pair of Polk LS50s and surrounds (I can't remember the model number on these), and I am thinking about adding a sub to help out the low end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

Cross posted from the general question thread.....

In the next few months I plan on putting together a 2 channel setup with my computer as the source, but I am confused about the topic of DACs.

What kind of specifications do I need to be looking at?

How important are they to the overall listening experience (is there a certain price that there is no point in going over)?

Lastly, what kind of models/brands should I be looking at?

Edit: Maybe this would make more sense in the home audio system thread.

TheChimney
Jan 31, 2005

Hob_Gadling posted:

Bitrate and sampling rate. Try to match your audio files.

Connectivity.

Do you want it to do something else besides work as a DAC for computer, like work as a headphone amp?

Otherwise it's just like sampling any other piece of audio equipment. Listen for yourself, judge for yourself.

I have a Pro-Ject USB DAC and have been completely satisfied with it. I don't have high quality lossless music, all my stuff is CD quality. It cost me around €100 and I don't feel I can gain anything by upgrading it. For SACD material I'd just use a SACD player since even a quiet computer is relatively loud compared to other audio equipment. I would guess around $200 is the point where diminishing returns hit hard, and you can good performance with less if you don't need iPod docking or whatever.

Pro-Ject, NuForce, FireStone FUBAR if you want a reasonably priced DAC.

KingRex T20U is an interesting little thing. Unfortunately I haven't heard it personally.

Linn Majik DS-I if price is no objection and you want the best possible "all-in-one" unit. It sounds nice, but $4200 MSRP is way above my means.

I would eventually like to have some high-end headphones. So, the ability to use it as a headphone amp would be a plus.

I've been reading some about Peachtree's iNova and iDecco. They look interesting: a DAC, pre-amp, and amp all in one package (though they are pretty pricey). Do you have an experience with these?