Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
Well I pulled the trigger on a Onkyo TXNR509 today from Newegg for $279.99 it promises to play music from my home network and that's what really made it stand out. The price was right and reviews are good.

Also picked up some Energy Classic 5.1 speakers, they have a ton of raving reviews all over the net. I'm hoping they live up to the hype. As far as I know there is no where around here where I can listen to speakers before buying them (I'm not going back in Best Buy again, they suck) so I have to cross my fingers.

Also got from monoprice:
100ft 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable
10 PAIR OF High-Quality Copper Speaker Banana Plugs - Closed Screw Type [JX-74043]
Speaker Stand - Black (SS-01) - Set of 2
10ft Premium 2 RCA Plug/2 RCA Plug M/M 22AWG Cable - Black
Speaker Wall Mounting Bracket - Black (Max 7.5LBS) - Set of 2

Grand total for everything is right at $800, now I just have to wait for it to get here and wire my walls and hang the speakers. I guess I'll grab a wall plate for the two audio connections behind the stereo to make it look nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

Came home with a sweet Redbox Blu-ray and a Onkyo TX-NR509 Reciever with no audio / network after it has worked fine for 3 years. It was working perfect 3 hours prior with no changes other than powering it off and back on. After goggling I've found this is a common problem and Onkyo has some quality issues. I think it's a disservice at this point to mention Onkyo in the OP without some sort of disclaimer.

I only paid $280 new for the unit from Newegg so I guess in three years I've gotten my money's worth. I'm still terribly bummed though because my wife is a hard sale on things like this and I will not be enjoying sweet 5.1 Dolby True HD for the foreseeable future.

Looking at things in the same price range right now I'm seeing units with spring loaded speaker connectors and boxes that scream "Made in China." (Yamaha RX-V377).

If sound quality is my biggest consideration, then what is a good receiver for between $250 to $350? I don't have good enough internet at my house to give a poo poo about any streaming services or network abilities. I have always felt that the network items just rob value anyway. I'd rather have better amps than Netflix built in.

For speakers I have two Energy bookshelf and one bookshelf center unit and the powered sub from the "Energy Take Classic 5.1 Speaker set" that seems to be for sale everywhere. I have two 8 1/2" ceiling speakers from monoprice positioned 11 feet above just behind the rear of the couch. This is what I can afford and speakers are not going to be changed any time soon, that's for sure.

My blu-ray player is a PS3 because it's the best drat blu-ray player.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

xeria posted:

1) I'll be getting an HD antenna as well. It seems, from googling around, like the best solution would be to coax the antenna directly to the tv (since the tv seems to have a tuner built-in), and then use a digital optical cable to connect the tv to the receiver. This is correct?
2) I know I can just HDMI my PS3 and WDTV to the receiver directly and have no issues, but I have some legacy hardware that still sees use:

a) a slim PS2
b) my roommate's VCR
c) a Retron 2 (NES/SNES combo)

Right now, I have the PS2/Retron hooked to the tv via composite (though I'm aware now that component is way better for the PS2, so if nothing else, I'll be getting some appropriate cables for that!) and the VCR via coax. If I wanted all of these to go through the new speakers/receiver, what's the best way to go about this? I know they don't really make receivers anymore in the latest models that have built-in analog>HDMI upconversion.

The Retron, I might trade in to the local video games store for the new model that comes out sometime this month, if they get one in stock. It'll have HDMI hook-up and solve that problem at least. Otherwise, the 2 only has S-Video and composite outputs, so would I need to composite into the receiver and composite out (or should I just connect the drat thing directly to the tv because it's NES/SNES games and who cares)?

The PS2, it seems like if I get a toslink and some component cables, I should toslink/comp in to the receiver, then comp out from that to the tv?

And I'm honestly not sure at all what to do with the VCR. This is the back of it for visual reference:

Any ideas?

1) Yes, this is how I have my "HD" antenna setup, direct to the TV with the audio passing through HDMI back to the 5.1 receiver. (There is no such thing as an "HD" Antenna, your grandma's rabbit ears will work fine for HD over the air content.

2) You really need to find a way to hook up each component to the Receiver then have one HDMI from the Receiver to the TV. They still make receivers with composite inputs so it should not be that much of a problem.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

CaseFace McGee posted:

Technically true, but it depends on your signal strength. If you have a really good signal, this is definitely true. If your signal is weaker and you want an HD picture, you will need a more sensitive or powered antenna. Many "HD" antennas are just more sensitive, more directional, or are amplified. If you don't mind having the same picture quality you got with a standard def TV, then old rabbit ears are fine. If that antenna doesn't give the desired picture quality, then a more sensitive, "HD" antenna will likely help unless you are in a receptionless black hole like I am.

However, a lovely, low quality antenna can still be marked as an HD antenna simply because it will still technically plug in to an HDTV.

TV Signals in the US are digital now, they are all or nothing. You cannot receive an SD signal since it is no longer broadcast. If you get a weak signal the picture drops out in squares or all together. It does not and cannot loose quality.

I have no cable and use over the air broadcast through rabbit ears in my attic for over a year. This is a true story. There is no such thing as a High Definition Antenna.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

It confused the hell out of me until I hooked it all up myself in person.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

There is a volume knob on the back of the sub, and there is most likely a sub pre-am output level on the receiver somewhere in the setup. My guess is the sub is just turned down in the back.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

If you have never owned a 5.1 setup then you are probably overestimating how much sound actually cones from the rear speakers. I struggled with the same problem as you and I have mine in the ceiling now. They just serve to fill up the space with sound.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

So I'm at the point where I'm ready to start looking at adding an audio system to my TV setup. I live in an apartment and probably will for a while yet, so I don't necessarily need something that will be very heavyweight (I'm just filling maybe 250, 300 sq. ft. tops), though it would be nice to get something where it won't feel like it underperforms if it happens to survive long enough to land in a slightly bigger space down the road.

When I lived in an apartment they would have complained about kids running across the room and loud conversation if I had people over. If I would have fired up a sounds system they probably would have called for the SWAT team. I don't know how your going to get away with it.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

That looks just like the brick I have in my closet. Google "Onkyo receiver no sound" before you decide on rolling the dice on it.

(Sorry for the double post, the delete button seems to have been removed)

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I just wanted to tell someone that would understand my disappointment with Sears the other day. I was just browsing in the mall, killing time with my wife and we went into the sears electronics department. I asked where the surround sound receivers were and the young sales girl (19 or 20 years old?) Directed me to a display with three sound bars but had no idea what a receiver was and they had none in stock. She had never heard of one, and did not understand it when I told her, nor did she understand why I would not be satisfied with a sound bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I guess your right, I didn't go there to buy one, I was just browsing. I was under the assumption that these things used to be pretty common on the shelf.