Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
What's the thread's opinion on DefTech's ProCinema line of speakers?

I'm looking at this bundle, and I easily see myself using the 5.1 set-up until I can spring for a couple Sierra Towers and then make it a full 7.1 set-up. But if DefTech's procinema line are generally crap or overpriced to begin with, I'll look elsewhere.
https://www.accessories4less.com/ma...-package/1.html

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Taima posted:

Just wanted to let yall know that the Pioneer VSX-LX305 is currently on sale for $649 which is an absurd steal imo.

Dirac Live, 9.2, HDMI 2.1 receiver.

Definitely make sure the features are there that you want- notably the pre-out is limited, but woof. What a deal. I own one of these and they're fantastic. Just Dirac alone would be hard to live without at this point.

https://www.adorama.com/pivsxlx305.html?sdtid=17073196&emailprice=t

The funny part is if you go into the Adorama website cold and look the LX305 up, it's listed for $750. You need to go through the email link Taima posted to get the extra $100 off.

So....thanks for that! :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, this is kind of an rear end in a top hat short fuse ask, but can anyone give me a recommendation for a 7.1 setup for under $2,500? Tower speakers for the front two preferred. Smaller, wall-mountable (wireless?) preferred for the rear speakers. I'm not huge on asthetics as long as the colors are fairly neutral and works with the above Pioneer LX305.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, do I have to pay $350 for a license to use Dirac Live calibration with my new receiver?

Also, the only Pioneer Elite model they have license for is VSX-LX805 when I ordered the LX305. Is that going to be an issue?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dogen posted:

The RP series is both good and less uhhh Klipschy sounding

Also man that seems like a good price I got my 8000F no atmos for more, on a good sale at the time I got em, dang.

So, I ended up getting the RP II series set including the new 8060Fs w/ atmos. Something I didn't quite realize at the time was the Atmos upfires take up another channel, don't they? So, the pair of these things take up 4 channels already.

This is what the back of it looks. And I guess while I'm here, I should ask about bi-amping. I'm assuming this means I can remove the bridging cables on the bottom two sets of jacks, and set up separate amps to cover the lows and the highs if I want to truly drive myself insane? (The top set of jacks, I'm assuming go to the upfires?)

Oh, and are there any cables you folks recommend? Or can I just use whatever RCA I have lying around?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Got my system in and installed it last night. New 65" coming tomorrow. Will recenter the bracket.

Dirac live setup was pretty painless. Sounds loving awesome. Discovered one weird quirk with Pioneer AVRs. If your front L/Rs are powerful enough/cover enough range, it'll automatically shift all the bass to them, leaving the sub to languish. You actually have to go into the hardware settings and change your front speakers to "Small" for it to engage the sub.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Dec 2, 2023

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

KozmoNaut posted:

My Denon did the same, set the fronts to large and the crossover to 40Hz.

With 6.5" woofer bookshelf speakers.

Pioneers only go down to 50Hz for crossover. But that works so long as you toggle on "Double Bass". Thanks for the tip.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Dogen posted:

Don’t do double bass though

Any particular reason?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I know this is probably wishful thinking, but I've got a pair of Klipsch RP-502S's that I'm looking to turn into my rear surround speakers, but running wire to them is out of the question. So, I'm looking for wireless speaker kits, but it seems to be a super thin market. The only system I've been able to find that runs a decent wattage (i.e., the wireless receiver has an onboard amp) and isn't straight bluetooth (which is laggy as poo poo) is Amphony's 1800 series wireless set. The reviews, however, aren't great.

Everything else on the market appears to be underpowered, twitchy, or single transmitter to single receiver.

So, I'm seeing if the Goon hivemind has knowledge of other potential solutions.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 14, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

My experience with Amphonys was pretty frustrating. Lots of cutting out and had to have them on a switch because of the hum when not providing a signal.

So, I ended up going with a single receiver/dual output setup from Dynasty Audio. I'll just take the aesthetic hit running cable + conduit across the back edge of the room and up the rear corner walls.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

So, I ended up going with a single receiver/dual output setup from Dynasty Audio. I'll just take the aesthetic hit running cable + conduit across the back edge of the room and up the rear corner walls.

Just want to report I installed this yesterday, and it works great. And now my AVR is maxed out. :v:

Random question. The receiver has a number of listening modes, but since most basic content is 2.1 or 3.1, I don't get anything out of the surround speakers unless I put it on Extended Stereo mode. That's fine. But, does this mean I have to manually switch it between Extended Stereo and Dolby Surround depending on the piece of media I'm watching at the time? Or would the system normally autodetect the channel configuration? I'm on a Pioneer Elite AVR.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I just got a Pioneer VSX-LX305 a couple months back, and its been great. It's technically 7.2, but I'm really using it for 5.1.2.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The Perfect Element posted:

Yeah, it's bizarre isn't it. My yamaha receiver has like twenty different presets , loads of which are stupid, like 'Munich concert hall' or whatever.

I mean. Gotta cater to those folks that watch a poo poo ton of theater broadcasts and recorded operas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

smoobles posted:

I have a Denon S760H and a Sony TV, and got a very specific problem that maybe one of you has encountered (Google isn't helping much)

HDMI 3 (ARC) is my Denon, and connected to that are my PS5 and Switch.

HDMI 1 has nothing connected to it, but previously had the Switch connected.

About half of the times when I turn on my Switch, the CEC tells my TV to go to HDMI 1, which has nothing plugged in. It was formerly the Switch before I set up the Denon, so it's like my TV is remembering wrong.

I suppose reformatting the TV would work but wanted to save that option for last. I can't find a setting to reset the defunct HDMI port, feeling much like a boomer here.

You can always try trick-loving the TV into reassigning the port by plugging a throw-away input device into HDMI 1. Run in a few times, then see if it still auto-switches when the Switch turns on.