Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
My question isn't about big home audio set ups, but it may involve a receiver, so I figured I'd start here. If there's a better thread please let me know!

I need an FM radio for my sewing room, preferably with Bluetooth as well. Our internet is flaky so I don't want to stream, but I have some playlists on my phone it'd be nice to listen to.

Budget is $300 max but I'd prefer to keep it under $200.

I am not opposed to a receiver and 2 speakers, since I know a tabletop radio makes compromises. I am opposed to the "bookshelf" CD-cassette-radio set-up I had in college; those were ugly and I don't want to own one again. I've got about 2 feet of shelf I can easily put a unit on, but could do some rearranging for a little more if needed. (I can run an antenna where it needs to go, no worries there.)

I found two units that might do what I want and are in budget:

Sangean HDR-19, $229 at Walmart and about $299 elsewhere
https://www.sangean.com/en/product/hdr-19-natural-cherry

Toshiba TY-CWU700, $150 or so everywhere
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba-30w-audio-system-silver-brown/5937006.p?skuId=5937006

Remote control is highly preferred so I don't have to leave my task.

My most-listened to station is a classical station and it has an HD broadcast available, but I've never heard it because my car is old so I don't know if it's that much better than normal FM. The Sangean does HD radio but it's also substantially more expensive. I don't know if that unit's speaker is substantially better enough to justify the price either.

I did see the Sangean HDR-18 is about $150 but lacks Bluetooth, perhaps it plus a Bluetooth adapter could work?

The room is carpeted, about 9x13. The sewing machine is fairly loud when in use and I don't expect a little radio to get through it (it'd be too loud for me anyway if it did), but I have a lot of quiet sewing tasks I do there too.

I don't have time to stalk a thrift store to find anything used.

Thoughts on those units? Suggestions for a different way to go?

effika fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005

trilobite terror posted:

If you want better quality and flexibility I would try to find a “real” receiver and pair of stereo speakers like you said.

There is a Sony that everybody sells that comes in at around $99-150 new, Best Buy has one or two Insignia models at that budget, and Yamaha probably makes the best of the bunch but it’s $150 just for the receiver.

If you’re savvy shopping used in your area (Craigslist, yard sales, thrift, etc) or getting hand-me-down stuff from friends or family you can get something really fantastic for tens of dollars or even free.

You can definitely thrift your speakers, and stereo receivers from any time in the past ~30 years are a dime a dozen (older than that and it’s generally going to be appreciated/cost inflated enough these days that it probably isn’t worth it for you unless you really love the vintage aesthetic). But it’s not unreasonable to get a good receiver for $0-50 and some speakers for $0-50 and have a much nicer setup than one of those all-in-one dealies

Got any receiver or speaker models in specific to look for new?

I'm not going thrifting, but thanks for the reminder!

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Good news: I found an old Philips phone dock/alarm clock with Bluetooth and FM, shoved away since the port doesn't fit anything modern. The sound quality is not good but it'll do for now and give me some time to watch for sales (and maybe thrift some).

I think I will get an FM receiver and a 2.0 system. I could also hook up the small TV I have in the sewing room and that would be better than the little soundbar I have for it. Like the radio, it's used for background noise (and keeping an eye on the weather during storm season), not Experiencing Cinema. I could probably find space for a subwoofer.

I'll keep an eye out for those brands, but if you have anything that pairs well together and would be under $400 I'm all ears.

This is not a space where I'm trying for Best, just better than a soundbar and a phone dock.