Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Very useful thread, I want to say thanks to Hob and jonathan for helping clarify the muddy as gently caress HT field.

I just placed an order for a 55" GT30 and am really considering getting a 3 speaker setup to compliment it. We've always just used the TV speakers for everything, and they're okay on the 42" Panasonic plasma we've got currently.

I'm wondering if its such a substantive benefit in the viewing experience - primarily movies - over TV speaker sound to justify the approximately ~$500 for 2 Monitor 70s and a CS2 center speaker..

As far as price off retail that's pretty good, and what I've read about these speakers is that they're quite good. But it's still $500, plus the $200 receiver I won't need unless I get them.

Kind of silly to say this in a HT system thread, but help me make a decision!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

haximus prime posted:

I believe most of those sales expired on the 28th.

They're still on sale, but not as good a deal.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Just ordered a 920-K, Monitor 70s and CS2. Will post a review when they all get here!

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Im enjoying my Monitor70s and am toying with the idea of adding some bookshelf speakers as rears for a 5 speaker setup. Any reason to prefer Monitor40s vs the $30 cheaper Monitor30s?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Re: The Pioneer 820 with Monitor 70s: I have a 920 with M70/CS20/M40 surround setup and the volume in my large open living room can go so loud it flat out hurts my ears before I noticed any kind of distortion or clipping. This is just set up with direct plugs, no bi-amping or whatever, as simple as you can get it. These things can get very, very, very loud.

I do think a sub would really help the setup though, especially for music. For movies its alright, the M70s reproduce the sound of lows but not the feel, if that makes any sense. Music would certainly be better served with a sub, I listen to a lot of electronica/dubstep/etc and it's lacking that certain punch.

Ron Burgundy posted:

I'm not sure what the consensus here is, but I would personally suggest getting the centre speaker at the same time as the L&R. It makes movie dialog a lot more discernible to me.

I was surprised by how much of the sound from TV shows and movies gets run through my center speaker, it's almost like the two towers are the extras and the real speaker is the center

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Bunk Rogers posted:

Picked up a Denon 1912 over the weekend and need speakers to pair with it. I wasn't planning on spending so much and it looks like speakers are even more of an expense. I figure I will go with Polk monitors 60 or 70. They're on sale on Newegg for $114 and $179. Is the jump in sound so great as to make the $55 difference worth it?

edit: I'll eventually add the other bits but drat this is spendy.

The Monitors are on the low end of expense/quality. I'm very happy with my M70+M40 surround setup. I think the general consensus is that if you have a sub, the M60s will do. No sub? THe bigger M70s will punch more bass.

I dont plan on getting a sub so I went with the M70s and theyre very loud and clear with a clean but not resonant bass. You hear the lows, but you dont feel them.