Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ducttapeismagic
Jul 25, 2005

Giggity Giggity Goo
I just want to thank jonathan for his awesome advice. I contemplated buying the Pioneer VSX-820-K, and the Pioneer Front LR and Center channel speakers for about a week. Then when my wife saw Faikon's setup. She said it looked nice and I pulled the trigger on the receiver and cables from monoprice. I'll pick up the speakers at Best Buy since I couldn't find them on Amazon, but I can't wait for everything to come together!

Will post pics and how I like them when everything gets setup (in about a week).

Edit: The VSX-920-K was $5.05 more than the VSX-820-K, so I bought the 920.

Ducttapeismagic fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Mar 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ducttapeismagic
Jul 25, 2005

Giggity Giggity Goo

King Bahamut posted:

Thanks a lot guys. I think I might go with the 820--the fiancee wants an iPod interface, an extra HDMI is probably a good idea, and I like the thought of auto-calibrating it. Works in the budget too. I'll look at the store but I assume I can use the first post-mentioned "banana plugs" here. At $79, the center speaker in that Pioneer series is probably the logical buy

I bought the 920 and love it so far. When I was shopping (2 weeks ago) the price difference between the 820 and the 920 was like $6. It might be worth looking into for future-proofing.

Yes, you'll be able to use the banana plugs mentioned here. They were kind of loose, but tight enough that they will stay unless you move the cables a lot.I also bought the Pioneer LR and Center channel that you are thinking about purchasing. I love them. I'm still working to get more low frequencies, but I think I'll have to go get a sub for the sound that I want.

We watched Inception on our new 3.0 set and WOW! The difference between this set of speakers and TV speakers is like night and day. Definitely worth the money, and as jonathan mentioned in his post, connecting all components to the receiver is the way to go.

Gone are the days where my wife fumbles through the inputs on the TV, even though they are labeled. She turns the receiver on, and the TV comes on and is set to the right input. Then she presses the button on the remote that is conveniently labeled DVR and she's watching TV like normal. She loves it.

Ducttapeismagic fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Mar 23, 2011