Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Sorry, very ignorant query time! I have got some shelf speakers with bi-wiring capabilities, and an amp with just a single connection for each channel. What is the best/cheapest way to bi wire my speakers? I have loads of standard audio cable, but I can't figure out how I'd some how split that to bi wire it, so I guess I need to buy special cable like this ? If that's the case, how do I handle the amp end of the connection when I've only got one port to plug into?

Everything online is surprisingly opaque about how to achieve this fairly basic task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

trilobite terror posted:

Don’t

Biwiring is a scam. It does nothing of value and causes problems and can actually gently caress up your equipment if you cause a short, etc.

Leave the jumpers/plates on the back of the speaker where they are.

Bi-amping, where you use separate amps or amp channels to run your tweeters and woofers, can be used in exceedingly rare occasions, but mostly it’s just there to grab money from guys who buy receivers with more channels than they need and set them to “bi-amp” thinking they’ll get noticeably more power out of their front channels.

Thanks! I guess I'll just leave it then, unless the goon hive mind disagrees with you and persuades me otherwise.

Just to clarify though, I wouldn't have to gently caress with the speakers at all to bi wire. They just have 4x ports to plug wires into already.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Not sure if anyone can realistically answer this, but : my current 5.1 set up includes a passive sub that came with my inexpensive yamaha HTIAB. I have already upgraded my front left, right and centre speakers, and am now wondering whether I should upgrade the sub, too.

I live in a mid terrace house with my family, so rarely if ever crank things up to anything like cinema volumes, so I'm not sure if dropping more cash on upgrading the sub will be worth it, given those constraints.

Should I spend a couple hundred on something second hand / refurbed, or not bother?

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Thanks all. The sub and amplifier are what came in this package.

Budget wise I'm probably unlikely to spend more than £100 on something second hand on Facebook, given how uncertain I am about the benefits.

I mean the current one is fine, I guess, but then I don't know what I'm missing out on! There's a chance there's unparalleled nuances and punchy explosions the likes of which I daren't even dream.

So long as it's not a ludicrous thing to do, I guess I'll just grab something for £60-£100 and hope it works out.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Why do AV receivers even include all those processed sound modes? When has anyone ever said "I really need my movie to sound like its playing in an ancient, echo-y church!"

Yeah, it's bizarre isn't it. My yamaha receiver has like twenty different presets , loads of which are stupid, like 'Munich concert hall' or whatever.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Here's a fun issue for the thread to help me with : I've mad my Samsung s92c hooked up to my avr via hdmi arc since I got the TV last summer, haven't changed the setup since, but am now experiencing a problem where the sound will sporadically cut out for a second, maybe every 5 mins or so.

This problem only occurs when I am watching stuff directly from the TV itself (eg Netflix or BBC iplayer), and not when I'm passing audio thru from the ps5 or my cable box.

This makes me think that it must be something to do with the audio processing being carried out by the TV itself. I have tried switching cables and it makes no difference.

The only setting I can change which resolves the issue is switching the audio output format to pcm, which means I lose 5.1 benefits.

I have no idea how to resolve this issue, and it's annoying as hell. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

SA Forums Poster posted:

It was my understanding that PCM was uncompressed audio. You will get the full 5.1 audio...

In theory, but I think steaming services just output in Dolby, and if you change the setting to pcm you just get stereo.