Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
For some very unusual equipment I use to watch movies, I need a receiver that still has RCA inputs for separate audio channels. A few years ago many had this, can someone recommend a good cheap new unit that still does?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

jonathan posted:

Basically you have a device called the processor which is just like a receiver, except it only does the decoding part, it then sens a line-voltage signal out to the amp(s) that you have running to the speakers. You could start off with a processor and a 2 channel amp to drive your speakers, then add additional amps once you step up to a 5.1 system. This setup is beyond what's intended for this thread, however it can be done on a budget, and this setup is a bit more future proof. You don't need to replace amps when new audio standards come out, just swap out the processor (or upgrade it's firmware).

FWIW, this is also the EXACT sound system setup of every movie theatre. In some rare circumstances cinemas are running digital sound through a brand new processor but with amps and speakers from the 40's and 50's.

The discrete solution is the way to go for redundancy proofing, if the budget allows.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I'm not sure what the consensus here is, but I would personally suggest getting the centre speaker at the same time as the L&R. It makes movie dialog a lot more discernible to me.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Carta you'll need to run the amp in stereo mode, or with LR on regular mode you will be getting [movie title] - the original motion picture soundtrack with some muffled dialog and sound effects.