Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

What's the general consensus on using in-ceiling (drop ceiling) speakers like the Polk RC60i for providing the rear L/R channels in a 5.1 setup?

Is it a bad idea to try combining these with floorstanding front speakers because of audio coming at you from two different heights?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Decided to upgrade my currently 8-year-old HT setup of a Denon AVR-1611 and Polk speakers (2x Monitor60 towers, CS2B center, RC60i ceiling surrounds).

My only 'good' speaker is my SVS PC-2000 sub which I bought last year to replace a Polk PSW10 and it made the Polk look pretty laughable in comparison.

Bought a Denon AVR-X3400H so I can have 4K / AirPlay / Spotify / more HDMI inputs / Audyssey XT32.

Shopped around a bit for 5.0 speakers in the $1k price range and settled on Chanes, specifically three A2.4 for LCR and two A1.4 for surrounds. I will keep the cheap Polk RC60i's in the ceiling for 5.1.2 Atmos for now.

Ascend Acoustics and Chane were the two brands that seemed to be the best value for the $ in that price range and caused me to rule out things like ELAC Debut / ELAC Uni-fi / SVS Prime.

I was a little concerned about the lack of professional reviews, and am mostly just taking Internet people's words for it, but hoping for the best because people on AVSForum seem to love the Chanes. Seems like the biggest gripe against Chane is that they have had supply issues in the past with people waiting months for things to come back in stock, but I placed my order this morning and they have already been shipped to arrive on Tuesday.

Will follow up with a report next week either way because it is hard to find people's reviews outside of the cult of Chane on AVS.

Parker Lewis fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jan 3, 2019

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

qirex posted:

AVS people loving love Chane, I’m curious to hear how you like them. I was considering them but they were out of stock when I was buying and more importantly I’d have to put electrical tape over their awful comic-sans-rear end logo.

It caught my attention when people on AVS were preferring the Chanes over speakers like the SVS Ultra or Ascend Sierra 2 when the Chanes should have in theory been a tier below those others in price/performance.

I worried that the reviews were almost all too good to be true and that the same few forum posters kept showing up in different threads to push the Chanes. But I also read through most of a pretty huge owner’s thread, and talked directly to a few Redditors who own them, to convince myself to at least give them a try.