Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

So I had picked out components and planned to buy them as they come on sale. So far I have the Onkyo TX-NR609 receiver and the Polk Audio CS1 center channel speaker (1.0 sounds better than I expected :haw: ). I just bought Polk Audio Monitor 60s for the front speakers on Newegg (on sale today!).

I had intended to get Monitor 30s for surround, but the Monitor 40s are on sale for the same price as Monitor 30s today. If I got those for surrounds instead of Monitor 30s, am I going to hate them because they're ridiculously big and awkward? I would be getting two pairs for 7.1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

DragonKeeper posted:

Slightly off-topic amusing anecdote. After the release of Batman The Dark Knight, a number of IMAX theaters had issues with blown subs(I lost 2 of my 6, those are fun to change). This was not due as they had originally thought to an issue of running the volume too hot per se, but it was in fact due to a mixing... well... fault where frequencies too low to be heard were left in the sub track erroneously. Since IMAX theaters generally tend to run some really nice equipment, it did its best to pump it out anyways and destroyed a lot of drivers in the process. But man did that movie sound (and look -- especially the 15/70 IMAX stuff) good. http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img28/4471/imaxbehindscreen.jpg Here's a shot I took during the last (and only) screen replacement. To give you an idea for scale, the lower platform has 6 18" subs and is roughly 15 feet off the ground. The top most channel is around 45 feet up by comparison. It is accessible by ladder only. I was up there twice; never again.

Here's an off-topic question: why is the sound in theaters so god-damned loud? I mean, I like loud, good sounding systems, but some theaters push it to the point of being painful, and I'm positive they're exceeding OSHA limits. Has any theater gotten in trouble for this?

I feel like there's a point at which a soundtrack doesn't sound as good because the system is overloading your ears. I think some theaters put in their system and then just crank it up to 100% without putting any thought into it.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

DragonKeeper posted:

Our digital IMAX system, and this is pretty neat, has permanent microphones mounted in the auditorium and actually runs a complete self-test and EQ adjustment program EVERY DAY before the first show runs. If anything is amiss that it can't fix, (blown driver, buzzing amp, etc) it phones home and a tech will come out and fix the issue (supposedly by the next day).
Ok, that is pretty awesome.

I at one point considered taking a decibel meter to the theater and writing a letter if it was over OSHA limits, but I don't want to be an old fuddy-duddy. Also, it sounds like it may be more the movie's fault (in terms of a poor mix) than the theater's fault if they're just leveled to a reference level.

I like to tell myself that I'm just protective of my hearing, but it could be that I'm just a pansy.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Following up on that, why is it that I can count on one hand the number of movies whose sound really worked? I'm talking beyond delivering the necessary information to the viewer. The last time I saw a movie whose sound blew me away was the horror film The Strangers. Other than that, it's just loud loud loud.

I have noticed a lot of movies and shows that don't really take advantage of multichannel systems. I was watching a show last night that had a scene with rain and the rain was only on the front channels and it was a bit of a letdown (the show was broadcasting in 5.1).

Erwin fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 2, 2011

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

Just connect the Sub pre out to your subwoofers left input and you'll be fine. The other connections are for speakers, but since you have a full-fledged receiver you don't need to (and in fact shouldn't) use them.

Yeah, the book that comes with the Polk sub says to do this.