Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neenski
Apr 22, 2006
I got the pioneer VSX 920, Polk Monitor 60s and Monitor CS2 mentioned in this thread, with a DVR, wii, ps3 and 360 hooked up. Sound is great overall, but I'm having a few growing pains:

1. I have to adjust the volume every time I switch sources. For example, here's what I set each source at to get the same volume level:

wii - 28
ps3 - 32
360 - 38
DVR - 45 (except when watching non-hd channels)

2. Center channel sounds overpowering, I kinda regret getting the CS2 over the CS1, or maybe I'm not used to 3.0 sound yet. Playing with the equalizer helps a bit.

3. Just a nitpick, but it's kinda weird to have to turn off the receiver and the TV after watching TV, turning off just the TV results in sound still coming through the DVR.

All in all, I'm seriously considering returning the vsx 920 and getting a receiver that lets me adjust volume for each source independently. Any recommendations for a receiver in the 250-350 range with this capability?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neenski
Apr 22, 2006

Hob_Gadling posted:

Auto level control (manual p. 57) doesn't work here?

I tried it out, but on my model ALC only works in stereo mode

quote:

Did you run the auto setup with the mic? It shouldn't be overpowering. I'd try running the setup again. Sounds like it failed somehow if one channel is a lot louder than others.

In any case it's not the fault of the speaker. It just reproduces what gets sent to it: you'd have the same problem with CS1. Does the same problem happen with all sound mixes or just stereo sound that gets mixed to one of the pseudo-surround types? I had to make the center channel a little louder than others just so I could hear clearly what people were saying.

Yeah I think I'm just not used to the dialog coming directly from beneath the screen. Sounds a bit odd after 20+ years of listening in stereo, but I'll get acclimated eventually.

quote:

Use HDMI control to shut down or start up both devices with one push of the button. Check manual p. 63 for instructions.

Doesn't look like my model supports this either.

quote:

If rerunning the auto setup doesn't help, you could look at Denon AVR-391. I have the version two generations past (AVR 1610) and it should deal with all the problems you have. I'd definitely fiddle a little with the settings, though.

Thanks for your help, I think I may end up going with either an Onkyo RC360 or a Denon 891 for the GUI OSD and volume control. Man, I didn't realize how nice an overlayed GUI OSD would look before using a text only OSD.