Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Phillipians 1:21
I went to community college and now work in IB. The school you go to to complete your degree is going to matter about a thousand times more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

Original name guy posted:

Yes that is what i thought. Is there anything about yourself that you wouldn't mind sharing that may help guide me? My primary concerns are that when i try to transfer to a 4 year that i wont be able to gain admission to any target schools because i am from a community college, and that if i gain admission to a school as a junior internships wont be extended to me as my academic track record will have all taken place at a CC.

So could you mention what school you went to or a comparable school, what internships you did if any, and what about you made you stood out?

Sorry for the delayed response.

My situation may not give you the answer that you are looking for, because I work at a boutique and the process for one of the large IB is going to be significantly different.

I went to a state school in California for my undergrad after transferring from a community college. I didn't do an IB internship while in college, but I did work for a financial advisor. I got heavily involved with the local cfa society while I was an undergrad, and I would recommend you do the same. Most IB are going to recruit out of particular target schools, but mid market and boutique firms can be an option if you don't go to a target.

I ended up getting an interview at my current job because the guy doing the hiring reached out to a professor of mine and asked for a top student to apply for the position, and due to my relationship with that professor and the involvement i mentioned earlier he referred me in. They liked my resume and I had a good interview and I was in.

I guess the moral of the story is that if this is what you want to do, not attending a target school won't necessarily mean your dream is over. IB is a hard field to get in whether you go to Harvard or wherever, but I think the key is to make the most of your relationships while in college because you can later leverage this into opportunities. I think your military background will really help, as you will notice your peers in college will be dumbshit kids who aren't taking things seriously so it might not be as hard to stand out as you think.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions feel free to help.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

I'm also at a boutique and I would be happy to address any questions you post in this thread. I've never worked at a bb firm so I can't give you comparisons other than what I've heard.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

The Gnome posted:

What type of boutique? NYC based? Just wondering what you're experiences are in terms of hours, work load, expectations from senior MDs and lifestyle..also, exit ops...thanks

We primarily do valuation and m&a advisory work for small and mid-market companies. Unlike some other boutiques, we don't specialize in any particular sector, so I get to work on all kinds of different industries. This has its upsides and downsides of course. I am based in Southern California. Workload is pretty heavy right now, but my hours seem to typically be more flexible than what I hear from people at larger firms. The biggest perk of being at a boutique is that there are more opportunities to work directly with MD's as well as senior management of your clients.

I think the exit opportunities for someone from a firm like mine are pretty varied. PE, larger IBs, corporate finance for a client, etc. Given that we do a lot of valuation work a lot of people have moved on to similar roles at the big 4. At a boutique there is going to be a cap on your career development unless you are the type of person who wants to be the guy who sells the work, so at some point you will likely have to move on if you don't have that personality.

mike-
Jul 9, 2004

coffeetable posted:

Well then, the next question is: are you any good at
  • probability
  • statistics
  • multivariable calculus
  • linear algebra
  • optimization
?

Honestly, You don't have to be good at any of these things to work in investment banking. Especially on the m&a side.

• Locked thread