Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Here are the settings I have set in Traktor that I've found helpful, for what it's worth (some of these might match defaults, idk):

Audio Setup -> Enable Multi-Core Processor Support
Loading -> Loading only into stopped deck
Loading -> Duplicate deck when loading same track
Transport -> Key Lock -> Quality -> HiQ
Decks Layout -> Platter/Scope -> Minimized
Decks Layout -> Misc -> Show Minute Markers
Decks Layout -> Misc -> Color Mode -> Spectrum
Decks Layout -> Deck Header -> Show Cover Art
Track Decks -> Deck Header

Mixer -> Level -> Enable Autogain (keep an eye on your gains if you turn this on, sometimes the detected autogain is wack)
Mixer -> Level -> *Disable* Limiter (I had a sound engineer tell me my signal was crap with the limiter on)
Mixer -> Level -> Headroom -> -3dB
File Management -> Determine track-time automatically
File Management -> Analyze new imported tracks
File Management -> Analyze new tracks when loaded into deck

Hope this is helpful for someone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah, I don't know why the manual would have ever stated that. External mixing mode should only be used if you are actually controlling your mixing outside of traktor (e.g. when using an audio interface with or without scratch control). Since the controllers like the S2 and S4 only have one main output, it would be impossible to use them in this fashion

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Fenarisk posted:

I find phrasing/lining up songs properly to be much harder, like those times you know what you want but it's like that horrific 2-3 seconds where one ends and the other hasn't kicked in fully yet.

this is what 4/8/16 bar loops are for :ssh:

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

qirex posted:

Are people not into Sony V6/V6506 anymore? Before the current crop of DJ-focused headphones started coming out 12ish years ago they were what everybody used. Is it because they don't get as loud as more modern ones? They're $78 on Amazon [and you'll probably have to replace the pads after a few years for $10].

I'm still using my v900s. I think they are pushing 13 or 14 years old now

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

A lot of good labels are on Bandcamp too. I try to buy from there if they have releases I’m looking for as it more directly supports the artist

And they support FLAC/WAV/AIFF without paying a “format fee” like on Beatport which is nice

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

this is for just a regular do my own thing gig and I want to go somewhere where I can get charts for like, ukg, breakbeats, does "future garage" still exist? you can prob tell when I removed my thumb from the pulse.

Kinda? Check out labels like Food Music, Futureboogie, Saints & Sonnets

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Is there any major differences in the SL types? i.e. MKxxx

The MK2 have the pitch lock groove (instead of a button) which is a pain in the rear end to deal with when mixing

Look for M3Ds or better

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

actionjackson posted:

Yep, got them at 320 CBR, thanks.

Honestly, the turntable thing is really tempting just because I like having an actual physical record, but at the same time, it's just so much more expensive, and obviously many tracks will either not be on vinyl, or they will be but be constantly sold out.

Also in reference to master tempo, is that something you can handle with something like Audacity? For example I have some tracks that are 120, and are 128. I assume if I tried to mix them together it wouldn't sound very good on vinyl, as you'd have to adjust the bpm on both to 124 or whatever. With digital files I don't really have to worry about this.

The pitch lock in Traktor is going to be higher quality than the CDJs and as good if not better than whatever you might do in Audacity.

Be sure to flip on the “high cpu” setting if you are on a modern laptop for better quality. Last I recall that is not the default setting

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Maybe try doing a consistency check on your HDD itself using Disk Utility? Maybe there are errors in the filesystem itself.

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not really into the streaming integration side of things,but I have to say this part has got me really curious. You may have seen my posts earlier ITT about my endless quest to sync my DJ libraries and databases across three computers in both Traktor and Rekordbox. This utility you're using, would it work for these purposes? I'm on a Mac, if it makes a difference.

As for streaming sync and cloud storage, it'd be nice but I'm kind of a luddite in that respect and would prefer to have my files on me.

In related news, my quest for an acceptable Ethernet switch that can network my computers and entertainment centre and also my DJ gear continues. I bought a LinkSys unit and plugged everything into it; I get internet no problem but the CDJs just do not cooperate with it - load times are aeons and I'm experiencing for the first time Pioneer's wonderful (not) EMERGENCY LOOP mode. I'm probably just going to go back to an isolated switch for the Dj gear but it'd be really nice to have my computers available via Rekordbox sync as well.

CDJs are not meant to be on real networks like that. They simulate their own ad-hoc network when plugged in. If you only have two, just link them directly to each other with an Ethernet cable. If you have more than two, put them on their own isolated switch and not one that handles “real” network traffic

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

MrSargent posted:

I want to pick up a second turntable to start practicing DJing on vinyl more but I really don't want to spend a lot on it. I currently have an AT-LP120 which works perfect for what I need and wanted to pick up another used one to pair with it. I could grab a silver one for about $150, but my current one is black and I feel like that might drive me crazy having two different colored tables. I also don't think I have ever seen someone DJing with two different colored turntables and am wondering if that would make me look like a weirdo.

Just spray paint them both gold or something

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Super86 posted:

Regarding Beatport, I use Juno Download. I've found it has generally better prices, especially when you buy whole albums. However everybody seems to recommend Beatport. Is there something I'm missing?

Beatport generally has a lot more content and also has exclusivity with a lot of labels for new releases. Used to be 4 to 8 weeks from street date but I don’t know if that’s still the case. If you’re just casually buying whatever, Juno is fine

Since you don’t really know any of the music, I would start with charts (top sales for the different genres, charts put together by DJs you like or recognize), and then branch out from there

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

I would not pay that kind of money for a DJM600. It’s honestly a pretty garbage tier mixer compared to anything modern

Maybe I’m just bitter because I played on them so regularly back in the day and had more than one good set recording not turn out because the quality was so bad

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

abuse culture. posted:

is it kosher to post a mix in here for critique? it's 2 hours long, lol!!!!!!!

There’s a DJ mixes thread you could post it in. Hasn’t been active in some time tho

e: lol last post was 3 years ago https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3049995&perpage=40&pagenumber=76

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Key transpose is not the same thing as pitch shifting

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

Virgil Vox posted:

I've played one these once and they were obsolete then. What's the oldest kit y'all remember? Radio shack mixers anyone? [I think my local store carried tascam? I drooled over that rack mount four channel joint with the effects.

First CD players I ever DJ’d with were some rack-mount front-load players that did have pitch control in the form of a tiny slider on the front panel, but no jog wheels. Played tons of sets in my early years where CDJ-100s were the norm in venues, before the advent of 1000s and later the 800s

I’ve also played vinyl on all manner of janky-rear end thrift store turntables too. The worst I remember was a random house party that I was at the evening after I had gone record shopping, and the records were still in my car. The party had a pair of decks set up so I hopped on, but one of the turntables’ pitch fader didn’t work so I had to do all my pitch matching on the other deck, regardless of whether it was the live channel or not

Good times

P.S. I’m old and I’ve been doing this for a really really long time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

You might also consider separating the battery requirements by investing in a portable rechargeable power station (basically a giant lithium battery with a built in inverter)

This would open up more options for the speakers and other gear by not having to shop for only battery-powered versions

Edit: Anker is a brand I’ve trusted for a while now. They make several models with built in or separate solar panels for charging as well

Something like this: https://a.co/d/6PUoibi

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 22, 2024