Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

epswing posted:

Spoke too loving soon. I've had it out of the box for 5 days, and the CUE button on the B deck doesn't fire properly anymore. If you press it gently, it clicks audibly but doesn't fire until you give it a little more pressure. If you back off the same amount of pressure, it unfires, but it hasn't audibly unclicked yet.

What the gently caress.

ive heard they are all breaking...

get what ya pay for i suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
EDIT: drat it i thought i was editing that^^ post for some stupid reason. sorry for double post like that.

88h88 posted:

When talking about renting a venue it was more a private party thing than an actual event where random dickheads turn up. My friends know I've been squirrelled away over winter putting this lot together and at some point I need to let them hear the end result for themselves. Anyone playing on it would be a close friend and I'm lucky to know a fair few DJs, I'm not about to host someone I don't know at least like you say, not without getting paid for it.

Maybe, instead of a private party(like at a house or venue?) you go around and talk to venue owners and say "how about i come out with a bangin rear end PA and ive got some DJ buddies and we"ll come out and spin for $100 and a $50 bar tab, we dont even need a sound guy or anything, and you can see how many people we can bring"

Go in there act all professional and make sure you bring people, maybe not even alot, but just bring people. And at the end of the night go talk to them and theyll probably pay you easily if alot of people came but if not that many came but YOU still think it was worth $150(if say like 35-45 people drinking) then be stern about collecting your pay if they try to stiff you, they really like trying but wont if you stand up.

Then bring more and more and more people and when theres a bunch of people they will pay hundreds to thousands of dollars and you and your buddies can all make money and reputations to carry to the next gig.

Starting off i would just split everything even with your boys, but say there are 4 djs and you, you split the money 4 ways for DJs, 1 way for you DJing, 1 way for speakers, and 1 way for booking/organizing event. So you would get 3/8 of the total money while everyone else would get 1/8, and you know change the shares if you are only doing sound and DJ but not organizing or something.

And thats hustling. Get em hooked then raise the price...

oredun fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Mar 31, 2012

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
its not that if you use a controller you are a lovely DJ, its that lovely DJs typically use controllers in this day and age.

For me to get 5 grand of equipment took many years, so i learned how to use everything very well, but when someone buys an S4 or something, they have no fuckin clue how to use it or any techniques a "good" DJ would use while DJing.

So, i think the barrier to entry is so low and talent has fallin with it, its not so much that EVERYONE that uses a controller sucks dick, its just that most people with controllers do in fact suck due to lack of overall experience, the equipment has nothing to do with quality its more just an indicator of experience.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

mitztronic posted:

There have been lovely DJs since turntables. It's nothing new with controllers. People were literally using this same argument years ago: that CDJs were easier to use than turntables and was making things worse. And now that same argument is being recycled and used here.

The whole idea that the equipment you're using has any sort of connection to who you are/your skills is so ridiculous I wish it would stop being brought up. It's not any easier to be a great DJ now than it was 5 years ago, and the only difference now is its marginally easier to not trainwreck every transition.

People who aren't going to put effort into DJing will always not put effort into it - vinyl, controller, CDs. Bad DJs are bad DJs. The lack of a sync button never stopped Captain Douchebag from "DJing" and the presence of it now doesn't make any difference to him now. He's still going to play his bad songs in no intelligible order, only this time the crowd won't have to endure as many trainwrecks.

Technology changes, people don't. Lots of people on this planet are terrible by nature, it's an unfortunate fact of life. Just enjoy the artists and DJs that know what they are doing, and ignore the rest. Music should be fun, don't stress when Captain Douchebag plays 3 Guetta tracks in a row, just walk away.

yes yes yes yes, BUT people with controllers IN THIS DAY AN AGE tend to put far less effort into being a "good" dj than someone that has a vinyl/cdj setup that took years to get. Sure people drop 5gs on new cdjs and a djm all at once, but its alot more rare than someone buying a $350 controller.

Do you see why its much more LIKELY that someone with a controller would suck? just purely because of how long theyve used a controller as compared to a turntablist. i think in a few years people will rock controllers just as hard as vinyl or cdjs, but until people become really proficient on controllers, they kinda lag behind people that dont use controllers.

its not that controllers makes you suck, its most people with controllers suck.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

So I just picked up some CDJ2000s (my wallet hurts but these things loving own). I'm getting ready to burn all of my music to DVD-R and wondering if anyone has any insight to share with regard to keeping things organized. I get that I should be organizing by Genre and Date - should I back-date tracks I've bought over the past couple of years, or lump things together and simply label every disc 'April 2012' for now? Is there any advantage to organizing by BPM, not Genre? Is it really that important to print slips to go with each disc?

what about usb sticks? seems alot easier

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

epswing posted:

I had a pair of Denon DN-S1000s, and they read data and audio cds alike. The performance, however, was noticeably better on audio cds, when it came to jogwheel responsiveness.

Has anyone else noticed this?

its because wavs are uncompressed and when you use data its mp3 and it has to decode it first

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vas0line posted:

I take pleasure in reading long, drawn out, heated discussions on other online forums pertaining to the controversy surrounding the mighty sync button. It's funny because beatmatching is so easy a childe could do it after practicing for an afternoon.

i dont understand it either, i mean, beatmatching is not really the hard part about DJing.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

The funny thing about the whole sync debate is that CDJ's allow you to do the same thing, set both cd players to the same bpm, and all you gotta do is get the start right and they will stay locked for the most part.

Except if youve ever touched a CDJ in your life youd know this wont work unless you consider being locked a 1.5 second transition.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I still need to work on that last part. I think i'm OK, but i have little confidence and 'selling myself' (interviews/bookings/etc.) has always been a problem. I've been talking with some quality DJ/producer friends about setting up a 'bass music' night somewhere, but i don't want to fall into the same 'Bassmentality-wannabe' category as all the kids these days - even though i'm a sucker for that poo poo.

EDIT: First of all about "Bass night". For every 1 bass night ive seen succeed, 20 have failed. For every 1 "dance" night, 5 have failed.

Think about that. BTW you will fail, just get over that. youll throw nights and noone will come and itll suck real bad. but im saying you have a 1/20 chance with bass night or 1/5 chance with dance night.

Now onwards...

Ok, so heres the deal. I swear to loving god this is the answer and it took me a while to figure it out and literally dozens and dozens of failures. Right this moment Im "reinventing" myself and this time around im going to brand myself ALOT harder and actually promote myself with the internet. So everything im about to tell you i did without internet, without mixtapes, and without even a consistant name.

Every single person that has actually wanted to DJ a lot and listened to what i taught them have enough decent to great paying gigs.

Here is the mother loving SECRET: the "underground" is a loving joke. Its nothing but scenester loving idiots and cling ons. Theres no money and no good consistent gigs, everyone with money is a drug dealer in some capacity. Its propped up with drug money directly or indirectly, and everyone involved is a half wit.

The drugs are very very important here. Its not that drugs are bad(actually they are great) its that bars dont make money off drugs. The key to making it as a DJ that makes money is to SELL DRINKS.

SELL DRINKS.

That is your goal in life as a DJ. Sure you may say youre an artist and this is you artform and blah blah. Well, you are actually an artist but you are an alcohol sales artist.

You are a DJ, not a musician, so your job is be the tour guide of bitchin rear end party land. And in party land alcohol is the most important factor to you.

You need to play music to people that will spend lots of money at the bar. This is how you get and keep gigs.

Im not going to bullshit you, you will have to play kesha and rihanna sometimes. Sometimes you even have to play like even nikki minaj or some other awful slut. But you can also play your favorite throwback rap(like that white people have heard) you favorite glitch hop mixed into that into some tupac into miley cyrus into jump around into ice ice baby mixed with wolfgang gartner.

You see, there has to be a common denominator. People really truly do not goto DJs playing around to give a gently caress. They go to dance and not give a gently caress. So dont try to play alot of music theyve never heard. It doesnt work. Ive played "dubstep" shows where bros are out there playing ambient dubstep and the crowd digs it then i can go out and light it up with some top40, oldies, funk, 80s, 90s, dubstep, electro house, breaks because people MUST have songs they can sing along to and party with their friends.

In addition to partying with their friends, THERE HAS TO BE GIRLS!!!! You must, absolutely MUST, play music girls like. Sexy, melodic, 4 on the 4 STUFF GIRLS LIKE. If there are women there enjoying themselves, everyone else will follow because everyone likes hot chicks, even other chicks, and especially other hot chicks.

Ok, thats how the gently caress do it: play music people have heard and know well, sell drinks, play music for girls.

Other than that you can mix in, loop, effect, whatever the gently caress other kind of music you originally wanted but you have to mix in top20 stuff of the last 40 years. Mix in your style of music while still providing everyone something to get down to.

If you think about, playing only what YOU want to play is really selfish and kinda silly if you think about, if you want to do that, you should just stay home. Youre there on stage to entertain people and if you think you know the best music for them right at that moment id say you are an arrogent bastard.

Its really that simple, im going to repeat because its very important:

1. Play music your crowd wants to party to. Take requests. I bet ive played "Get Low" at 99% of all my shows and it killed it every. single. time. It doesnt matter who is, everybody wants to party to that song with a girl/guy after youve have a few drinks.

2. Sell drinks. If you play "Get Low" you will sell $500 of drinks right then. Play LMFAO shots later youll sell another $500. Everybody wants to drink to party songs like that, and dudes will buy girls drinks especially during songs like shots.

3. Play music for girls. If girls want to come dance to your music you will make it to the top of the world.

Dont think of it as "Selling out", but think of it as "Selling up". Its the world we live in and if you want continuous great paying DJing gigs youve got to play pop music from the current and past. Obviously mix it up thats what is your style, but think you are a party curator first and plan everything around that.

Sorry that was so long but its what ive learned, its my path but trust me it wasnt my first choice, but ive been playing 100+ times a year for the last few years and its been working great for me while i see people get stuck playing no pay gigs(i played em) and eventually just kinda quit. On the flip side i see people who go the more pop direction get gigs and stay in the scene.

Im not bragging because really its not much money at all, but as a college student working 2-4 nights a week for about 3-4 hours total away from my house so 12-16 hrs a week making near a $1000 a week on good weeks and never less than $500 and its just the greatest to be able to do what i really love. Yeah, so i have to play lil wayne or kesha sometimes, but gently caress you im a DJ i literally get paid great money for playing around on my turntables and getting drunk!

And, man, if you dont have an old lady, the pussy is unbelievable. Like unbelievable. Like i wouldnt believe me if i was trying to tell you all the poo poo thats happened. I have a girlfriend so im not even getting laid but its insane the lengths they will try. Im not sure if youre into that sort of thing though, im not so much but its still hilarious and insane at times.

And last but not least, remember you are there to be party leader. You need to be smiling and dancing around and singing along with your music and giving shout outs every now and then for birthdays and poo poo like that. It gets people excited to be there with you blasting some tight music and partying with their friend.

I swear to thor that if you take this advice and bend it to fit your situation you will succeed in any ways you desire for DJing. I didnt just come up with this poo poo a lot of smart older dudes taught me most of it both DJs and musicians. Obviously its actually alot harder work than it seems, like if you had a lovely day or your girl broke up with you, you still have to goto work and act happy and be in a good mood.

You also need to be well above competent at DJing. If you dont think you could plug your computer in and play a better set than the person before you need to get to a place where you think you can. You have to feel the crowd and the mood and the music that you dont even have the capacity to think about twiddling your gear or any of that bullshit. It should be automatic, completely. Like good practice is getting blind drunk and see if you can still mix like you are sober. This is important because you will likely get blind drunk DJing at some point, but also it means its muscle memory at that point and you can focus your everything on the music/mood of your room. No body cares about how well or creatively mix songs as long as the songs or mixes are good. Also, dont play alot of cheesy top40 remixes, just play the original perhaps with every 10th a remix, people generally dont care for them, unless they do then be able to play nothing but those cheesy remixes.

Good luck, and seriously, just try playing some more pop, itll allow you to play(and thus get residencies) at many more places than without top40 music.

Haha, sorry this was so long and rambling, but i tried to tell you everything i learned was important to getting and maintain well paying jobs over the years.

oredun fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 26, 2012

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Haha! Im glad anyone read this and didnt get into an argument with me that im a sell out or anything! IM really glad people got something out of that.

But yea, just sell out enough to make money.

Something that helped me was checking my ego at the door and having a stage persona. Its funny because people that meet me when im working think im some sort of dj stud or something, but really i have two cats and sit in my studio all day and im pretty boring. And IMO, when people think you are way cooler than you actually are, youve done your job as a performer.

A good way to start is find some bars/venues that really need a good dance night. Go in there and pitch your idea and just ask for a few weeks at a cheap rate to start out and then go from there. You will fail and you will be fired from gigs. Its just life. But some will work, and just go from there.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Anae posted:

Oredun posted some great stuff, but I'd just like to point out that if you are in the UK you should take it with a pinch of salt - while I assume what he posted is true for the US, over here the 'underground' is much more popular and getting moreso literally every day. The two nights I play at are always full every week, and the audience is always at least 50% girls too.

i guess my advice is only for scenes that have a relatively smaller underground than mainstream crowds. i assume the UK is more into "underground" as are major cities in the US. I dont live in a major city or the UK.

To the used carsalesmen DJ, i believe its because DJs that dj for money tend to be the more entrepreneur type and used car sales falls into that category.

EDIT: i feel like this post might have a hateful tone but i dont mean it like that.

And to the dudes saying i never want to go anywhere: do you really think you will make it anywhere playing music noone has ever heard? really? unless you are BLOWING UP on the internet literally no one wants to hear your music youve made yourself. NOONE. I have a studio, i enjoy making different flavors of house, honestly, DJing is what supports my gear addiction and lets me play in my studio instead of working. BUT! No one wants to hear that poo poo. If i was getting 10k views a week on soundcloud, yea, that might work, but until then it will literally take you nowhere. Ive seen it 1000 times before. Homeboys start making music, think their music is AMAZING, try playing their music, noone likes it and they get few to no gigs.

Id rather play some radio music along with my remixes or originals and continue to play gigs and actually let people hear my stuff instead of fighting for poo poo rear end gigs all the time.

I dont think you understand how im setting my self apart. You and everyone else think they need to make some half assed homemade music to get anywhere when thats simply not true. My difference is that common folk want to see me and not just the "heads".

For proof, just look at the wevels videos. Get low is seriously the gayest loving song ever, but it works wonders on a drunk crowd.

oredun fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 30, 2012

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

JohnnyMondo posted:

I agree that it's cool to see live electronic music, but it's pretty ridiculous to claim that everyone else is being "fooled" into enjoying themselves. Plenty of rock bands play their songs the exact same way every show, and if you followed them on tour you might see a pretty drat identical set 2 nights in a row. That doesn't make the show any less fun for the audience.

Also, for me live music is mostly just about hearing music super loving loud. The biggest difference between seeing someone live and playing their album at home is mainly just how loving loud live music is. It commands your attention and doesn't allow room for anything else, and that's really what I'm paying for.

No, hes saying laptops are ruining it. Especially "live" electronic music. Hes not complaining about people that do it the same every night, he is saying its lame everybody does nothing at all. I completely agree its becoming absolutely refuckingdiculous. Ive recommended using serato instead of live to play music because its more live to the audience and it really is more live.

I remember years ago before I had played so much but still had started as a hobby and really had no idea what was going on and i got on stage during a rowdy rear end bassnectar show and got up behind him to see how loving amazing bassnectar would be at ableton.

Oh yea, i was tripping balls on acid.

I am instantly horrified at what i see. I notice he has like 15-20 clips total spread out on like 4 channels. He has them going into a xone 62 and he has a maudio drumpad thing and 2 cjd 100s turned off.

He has the clips mapped to like 1 button on his controller and a beatrepeat or something.

Then he would click play, check it in headphones just in case, then raise the volume on the 62. He only used 2 tracks on the xone. Then he would touch everything and swing his hair in cicles, wait 3 minutes and repeat the routine.

I left horrified of what i had found and vowed to never see him again, im sure the lsd was messing with my emotions at least a little tho haha!

But today, i feel like whatever if thats his thing thats his thing. I personally would use techs and scratch and mix and whatever, but i figure maybe he never used techs really or hates them so whatever. Hes on stage and were just a bunch of nerds with our dicks in our hands, so i mean you have that too.

Im not sure what the answer is, yeah everyone does the same set every night or it wouldnt be that good because they havnt practiced it, but doing nothing at all is pretty loving gay and is def. the easy way out no matter how you look at it.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

a foolish pianist posted:

You know, I didn't believe it could possibly be real, but there it is.

theres a loving acoustic version in there, its pretty hilarious.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

TheWevel posted:

Do any of you herberts use video at your gigs? I'm thinking about making the jump...I'm the last audio only hold-out in my posse.
Im trying to its just SO MUCH work i cant ever finish it and it hasnt happened yet. I bought a djm700 to mix video years ago and ive already sold it without ever doing video.

Ive been to clubs with video and i swear it makes people like zombies and they just stare at the screens so im not sure if i even like it to be honest.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

I'm confused by this scenario - they have a permit for sound / music, but something is preventing the use of turntables specifically?

it sounds like a plot out of some cartoon or something.

i mean thats not really a law right? "no turntables after 11 OR WERRR TAKIN YOU TOO JAIL!"

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Dr. Goonstein posted:

Reading up on these a bit and these sound like a pretty good buy and definitely in my price range. My problem is that the first review on Amazon is saying they aren't made for people with large heads in mind. I will admit that my head is a step up from average, so while I can't imagine I would have that much of a problem, I still have to wonder. Any feedback on that?

I have a big head. They are too tight after a while. I have hdj1000s and they hurt the top of my head after a while especially if ive got both sides on and not one side behind my ear when i dj.

Also with the hd280s you cant cup with your shoulder.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

sweet picture from one of my residencies. I cant wait to get some pics from my next job, its seriously crazy.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

This picture makes me feel nervous. I say this to everyone, but get a laptop stand! Thos drinks look like they are a bass drop away from pouring into your computer.

I cant stand seeing a laptop on stage so i try to hide it best i can.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

keevo posted:

I hate it when the laptop is directly in front of the DJ so it covers their face. I'm looking at you club DJs.

It kills your nightvision so bad when you look away you cant even see the crowd. I have no idea why they do that.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Koesj posted:

You can batch rename your songs' filenames with Rapid Evolution 3 which is a finicky piece of software but does Key detection for free too.

Is there a way to completely disable iTunes integration in Traktor on OSX btw?

Rapid Evolution ruins all the ID3 tags for serato. Do not use it if you use serato.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Solus posted:

So I'm making my ~first ever setlist~

I'm still not entirely sure what I can do with Either Traktor or Virtual DJ other than firing off a track, applying random effects and playing around with buttons and then crossfading into the next track when the cue I put there rolls around.

What else can I actually do while I'm playing music?

You dont just make a playlist. The point of djing is to play the song that the crowds wants to hear the most at that moment. You have no idea if the crowd will dig your berlin minimal techno so you might have to play dubstep or maybe a sorority party rolls in and you have to play top40.

The point is, djing isnt about making a playlist and just using that, but rather closely watching the crowd and playing the best song for them.

Trust me, it works A LOT better.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Solus posted:

Now that I've actually found my local DJ shops (Of which there are three)

The best two controllers in my price range are the Vestax Typhoon or the Mixtrack Pro. Both have soundcards so I won't need to buy one of those (Yet) and I like the feel of both of them.

Which is more future proof?

Neither, they will both be outdated and worthless(money wise) in a year or two.

That said, id choose the typhoon because its all metal.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

n00b posted:

If it's a mingling-schmoozing type of venue I'd steer clear of the big tunes and concentrate on trip-hop and slower electronica. Massive Attack, Tricky, Portishead, with the odd 80's pop tune to change things up.

Second this, but in addition ask people what else they want to hear. Dont concentrate on a genre, concentrate on the party.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

The new gig. Sunsphere in Knoxville.

Icon ULTRA lounge.

ULTRA!!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Shovelbearer posted:

Oh wow, that's awesome. I went to UTK and used to play shows somewhat regularly (as Lemon Drop Kid). Recently went back and played Midnite Voyage at the Cider House. Is the overall scene pretty good these days?

The midnight voyage dudes are killing it. Im not really into that scene, I tend to stick more to residencies so i dont deal with them, but they are bringing a shitload of pretty big names to knoxville.

vanilla slimfast posted:

I believe you mean the Wigsphere :colbert:

Shhhhh! Dont tell anyone my secret to sexcellent hair!

But seriously, the first thing i asked at the interview was if they found the whigs up there or what.

oredun fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 2, 2012

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
DJ Crazy Clown

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

mitztronic posted:

I didn't think so either, but it was the first question that came to mind. I agree with you on the top chart stuff, hence my last question :)

I'm also trying to figure out how accurate or in depth it is, i.e. if you start a 4 minute song at the 2 minute mark, it might not catch it (?)

It just takes like 15 seconds of any part of the song. So that wont work.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
DJ mixers tend to be absolute pieces of unreliable poo poo until you spend around $500 new or used.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Firaga posted:

Depends where you live. If you're in a big enough city you can get a used DJM 400/350 for less than that. And I guess a Xone 32, but I'm not a fan of that model.

I'd budget around $500 though, if you take your time you can find a used Xone 42 or a DJM 600.

If you're in a smaller city you're looking at much more brand new and I wouldn't bother with some brand new piece of poo poo.

djm 400 is junk, its too old, doesnt have xlr outs.

djm 350/250-good enough, pioneer makes nice stuff, good ergonomics, xlr outs.

xone 42-unreliable junk. otherwise i think the 22/42 would be almost perfect. but they are junk.

xone 32-somewhat high quality mixer, except it has the WORST design choices of any mixer except the xone 62. seriously stupid poo poo. i think whoever designed them had never DJed before.

djm600-outdated, not digital, avoid at all costs.

if you have 500, you could buy a rane 56(no xlr outs and a really stupid power supply, but otherwise great), you could get a DJM700 which is an excellent mixer, ecler makes good stuff.

I think you best bet would be to get a pioneer 707 for about $250. They would great, last forever, have XLR outs, IEC power, and its cheap as poo poo.

get a serato box off craigslist for around 200, and youve got an amazing setup for a great price.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Firaga posted:

I always forget about Rane!

I like the Xone 42 because it has 3 channels and a dedicated filter compared to the DJMs in that price range. A+H has since updated it, I'm not sure how the older version was.

In regards to the 32, the gain knobs are on the back next to the connections, and the filter is bound to the crossfader rather than a knob. If you're OK with that it's priced very well.

DJM 250 has the colour knobs (dedicated filters) which you can only otherwise get in the 800+.

my problem with the 32/62 is you cant scratch with the CF due to the curve, the cueing is dumb as hell. the 4 band eq is a pain in the rear end and does not make a mix sound better, the gains on the back on the 32 and the line/phono switch is right in the way on the 62 so when you twist the gain you turn the music off half the time.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

revmoo posted:

I have a moderately specific question; I've been dj'ing for years and I have a set of tech 12s and a four channel mixer. I want to get into digital vinyl but spend as little as possible. Guitar Center has a used SL-1 for like $250 which would get me into Serato which seems to be the popular pick. Is there a cheaper route? I spin dnb/prog/house/hiphop so basically everything. I do a lot of vinyl manipulation.

I've looked at apps like Decadance and Ms Piggy and it seems like you can do it on the cheap but the apps don't have the same polish. Is it worth dropping the extra coin for the 'real thing' (Serato)? or might I be better off trying to cobble something together cheaper?

For the control PC I will just throw a spare C2D board into a portable atx case or something. I have the rest of the hardware covered I'm just not sure how to handle the digital vinyl part.

just get serato, traktor licenses are a boondoggle. serato works perfect every time.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

chrix posted:

There's a lot of expensive recommendations in this thread. There is absolutely no reason to spend over $200 on your first mixer, as long as you're ok missing out on the cheesey effects/special features. I used a Denon DN-X100 for years before I bought a Pioneer mixer. There's one on ebay for $135 right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Denon-DN-X100-DN-X100-DN-X100-DJ-Mixer-2-channel-/310506701736?pt=US_DJ_Turntables&hash=item484ba443a8

i would almost agree, and it depends on what the dude is trying to do here, but the dnx 100 has a crossfader lag problem. even though its been "fixed" its not.

I had a dnx 1500 and it had the updated firmware but still had a lag. it was a great overall mixer you couldnt scratch good with it.

So, in other words, maybe $135 isnt to bad for a decent minus one thing mixer.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Alfajor posted:

oops, wrong thread. I guess since I'm here, I'll ask:

Ideas on good songs to play at a NYE party? My hilarious slot goes from 11pm to 2013, so I guess I should include something with a countdown, right??

midnight madness by chemical bros.

To the dude that asked earlier, i bought an X1 and use it with serato. Its pretty awesome but it seems to work best with traktor. You have traktor, so i would get it. Its great.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
All this talk about controllers, the new pioneer is the fuckin answer.

Its next level.

That is all.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Solus posted:

I was thinking about one (as I posted a page or two back), but then I realised I could buy a Z2, an X1 and another F1 for the same price and potentially put turntables on it at a later date. And now I don't know what I want :psyduck:

you would pretty much to have turntables to use a z2 to its potential.

You dont need an x1 and f1. you would need an f1 at the most, but i would think a z2 would be just fine for anybody, and the z2 has an x1 built in.

If youre not sure what you want, you def dont need to buy as much poo poo as possible, at the end of the day you are just mixing one track into another one.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Jesse James posted:

Exactly what I was saying. A quick cue in the cans keeps you looking like a rockstar instead of looking like a total jackass.

Yea totally, the cans make the DJ. Whoever holds the cans gets the requests.

In other news, i folded and got ahold of a DJM-T1.

It is amazing in every way except its not serato and traktor sucks dick.

Im thinking about switching back to serato, but im going to give it a few weeks before i make any rash judgements.

Heres how it went down: opened box, installed driver and traktor duo, plugged in and tested, works.

Then i took it to my big weekly gig and used it.

It worked perfect!!!!!! Besides hating traktor for a number of reasons, its tied together with the software so well i just have to love it. So, maybe, traktor it is.

Heres a pic of it at its first gig. Seriously, i took it out of the box and used it on stage before ever using it or traktor before. Everything worked perfectly all night and i even got wasted and used everything just fine. I give this thing 9.9/10.

ps dont try this at home, it was a 2 dj gig and it wasnt the end of the world if it was hosed ,and i brought serato too

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Old Man Pants posted:

Let me get this straight. You bought an expensive piece of hardware that was tied to software you don't like, didn't really even get to experiment with it, and then took it to gig with? And everything worked flawlessly even though you got blasted and you are still unsure about it? I am so confused.

Correct.

Thats why im giving it such high points for usability.

It worked right out of the box exactly as it was supposed to. Thats loving amazing.(and it was easy enough to use for a drunk guy)

Like i said, i also have serato, and i was planning on just mapping the midi to serato. Which works amazing, as i have an X1 and it works great with serato. The X1 sold me on the T1 because its basically a mixer with a X1 split in half and moved to the sides.

But yea, traktor in the minimal deck view tied to a DJM-T1 is a very very powerful piece of DJing equipment, and if anyone is looking for something similar i highly recommend it.

oredun fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 29, 2013

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Blowdryer posted:

Why do you hate traktor?

First of all, its to big for a 13" screen. I can understand why they let you adjust what you see, but only to a point. I wish i could see some things but not others, and its kind of a choice but kind of not.

Secondly, i like some flexibility when i DJ, im a "working" dj so i get alot of stupid rear end requests. traktors beat mapping does not work all that well, and if its not beat mapped the beat meter thing wont work. I like serato cause i can just look at the screen and match the beats up(along with my headphones obviously, but seeing a bpm and waveforms on top of each other REALLY helps)

And thirdly, i feel like traktor is over complicated. Sure, maybe for people that like controllerism and poo poo its cool, but i like 2 turntables with looping and hotcues which serato does beautifully.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

vas0line posted:

Why not pick up a USB box o' knobs and map that poo poo out in Traktor. You can pick up something like an Akai LPD8 used for under $100.

I got a used X1 for $50. I love it and cant recommend it enough. If you need knobs and buttons that things got them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Solus posted:

How sturdy are Traktor Audio 8's and are they still worth getting? Because my local store has a new in-box one for sale for the same price as a Audio 2. But there is no warranty, aside from the ones afforded to me via the Consumer Care act we have here. I'm wondering if it's worth getting instead of the Audio 2 I was planning on

audio 8 is solid as a mothafucka. great sound card i would highly recommend.