Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

reichsten posted:

Quick price check. For a used pair of CDJ 1000 mk3, with coffin - $1100

Original owner, hardly used, local pickup so no shipping. Seems like a pretty great deal to me, any concerns or things I should check for when I test the gear out?

That deal is good, they go for about $599-699 used at guitar center. They're solid units but the primary thing I'd check is to make sure the cue and play buttons have a nice click in them when pressed. Other than that run through all the buttons and functions like normal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

LISTEN TO ME posted:

You guys part of any record pools/DDSs?

I have a membership to DJCity. It's $90 for 3 months. Download as much as you want, whenever you want. Most songs are in 320kbps but I do have a few that are lower. Really good selection of top 40 / remixes, big room house stuff, and lately trap. You can download each song individually, so if you only want the clean edits or whatever it's easy. Great preview system too, similar to beatport.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I just checked my Kallax and counted 113 records in one bin; they were packed just a little too tight to browse so I think 100 would be a perfect number. A 2x4 Kallax would fit those nicely. Congrats on the records!

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

actionjackson posted:

I just realized that by default bandcamp mp3s are VBR which won't work with my old cdjs (200s) (they play, but you can't scan or anything). Does anyone if the second mp3 type (just says 320) is CBR? Otherwise I would need to convert them somehow.

Yeah, I buy a lot of tracks from Bandcamp; they're a constant 320.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Never played on them but my brother has one purely for vinyl listening, build quality, weight, and torque all felt good. I've heard and read they're decent for DJ duty, especially in a home set-up.

Also: I think you can re-download from Bandcamp in any format, just click on collection in the upper right to see your stuff and under each item is a small linky.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

The obvious ones are make sure anit-skate is set to 0, have the proper (or slightly more) counterweight, and the record fits nicely on the spindle. However the 2M is way more an audiophile cart. The DJ oriented carts like Concords have a rugged suspension to handle back-cueing and scratching so this could totally be the issue.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I haven't used Serato in about a year but isn't there a giant BPM display on the interface? Just move your pitch slider until the numbers match; takes like 2 seconds. Are you wanting to not look at your screen at all, or do you want to be able to just press play whenever and have it drop on the beat for the full syncsperiance like pioneer?

I use a digital out for hums too, I use the RCA master out to a cheap analog to digital converter I got on amazon. If you have to use XLRs I bet your going to have to find a XLR -> RCA cable then into a A/D converter.

Something like these...
https://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audi...5XE1MTRCA0BB0N2
https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Opti...tal+audio&psc=1

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I never touched sync or even knew grids existed in Serato, that was the appeal to me. I like the old schoolness of it but to be able to play mp3s.

When I analyzed tracks in Serato I only let it analyze the waveform no beatgrids and no BPM. Then it would automatically take the BPM from my itunes tag and use it , which I knew was accurate because I tapped it myself or the record pool already had the correct one. Hopefully that might nudge you in the right direction sorry. Serato shines as a DVS system but I do think Traktor and Rekordbox have better sync/quantization/looping. I really miss in Serato how you could double sort. I would sort my playlists firstly by date added and then secondarily by key or maybe BPM it was brilliant.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Opinions on the Pioneer XDJ-RX2? I'm tired of lugging my CDJs everywhere and looking for an all-in-one solution.

I've had one for almost a year and use around ~15 hours a week. Never frozen or let me down it's very solid. Feels just like the DJM mixers, and buttons / pitch, color screen the same as the CDJs. Huge difference in the jogs obviously but I only use for pitch bend, maybe if you really practiced you could scratch well on it. The track filter, key recommends, search and sort functions are useful and powerful. Anything you want specific let me know, I would recommend especially comparing cost to a "real" CDJ/DJM setup.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

What’s your budget? Are you in US? What kind of music will you be playing? Crowd size?

If by house parties you mean in an actual house I would go with one or two powered 12” or 15” for subs and 10” or even 8” for tops. You’ll get some crazy room gain putting those in a corner, and it will be portable, fitting in a car and light if you have to move it over stairs. I don’t particularly like the EONs but admittedly haven’t heard the current generation. If you got the $ I would do Yamaha DXR8s and a DXS12. This would be perfect for a house or small group outside, killer for a practice session at home, but short for a wedding gig or school dance.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Any foam will do, I’ve moved around little pieces from a bunch of different flight cases. I’ve also used the sticky on back 3M style Velcro to attach different pieces.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

d0grent posted:

does anyone know of a midi controller that is just 1 platter and a fader? I'm looking for something cheap and/or small I can use just to scratch samples for production stuff, not for anything live.

The Reloop Spin or Numark Scratch however you'd need DVS / Control vinyl I guess.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Is it absolutely essential for your workflow? I’d be looking towards Xones or DJMs or something else at this stage.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

FFS I mean, just make it 4 channels and have each channel be able to switch inputs like the x1800.
Like goddamn who the gently caress needs 6 simultaneous tracks?

I mean, considering the Live PA aspect, 6 channels isn't nearly enough.

Yeah!

Denon has had good inputs with their matrix thing. I think the input selectors are a little too complicated for some DJs; once had a guy all confused when with just a two channel mixer I was rockin a pair of cdjs and pair of turntables.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

New needles need to break in, play a few LPs and they’ll feel a lot better. If it’s still a trampoline then mess with the counterweights.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Eh, I was rearranging my set up and just pulled out the ground wire on the 1200 end cause I was yanking on it like a dumbass trying to get an extra half inch. I’m glad these things are pretty well documented and that I can solder; cause we’re gonna do some surgery.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Found a DJM600 black version for $300 locally. Thinking about pulling the trigger on it for a basement all vinyl 4 deck setup but I'm still slightly reluctant.
I've never used one and don't know how they sound. I did have the Behringer knock-off of it and ditched it because it was lovely but now I'm desperate for another mixer.
Thoughts? Other recommendations?

e: yes I realize that it only has 3 phono inputs, I've got that covered already.

That’s a great price and black is a little more rare in my experience. It doesn’t sound good but I think if your using it for vinyl only it will be okay, I’ve found they really sound bad with modern cdjs. Depends on your speakers too I guess and it will be better than the behringer.

Edit: I would get it if only to have a cool piece of dance music history. That was THE mixer when dance music took over the world.

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 27, 2020

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

britishbornandbread posted:

re: Rekordbox. I'm presuming by playlist you mean something that resembles what you'd throw together on a playlist on iTunes. Thing is, i just want a nice sidebox to drag some songs into when I'm thinking a few songs ahead. It's crazy Rekordbox doesn't have something that simple built in, unless I am missing it on the bombside that is their interface

There's no tag track list like on the standalone players? I use that all the time an essential feature imo, even when I was on serato it had that temp list in the middle you could add to. And member back in the vinyl days we used to put them sideways in the crate.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

abuse culture. posted:

is it kosher to post a mix in here for critique? it's 2 hours long, lol!!!!!!!

:justpost:

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I’ll have to dive into it, if they made the beat jump bigger than whatever it was (4? 8?) that’s huge and helpful. Center display showing track artwork would be good, everything else I wouldn’t really use. Maybe someone will sell off their 2000 nx2s for decent price now.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Mister Speaker posted:

Anyone have trouble with Pioneer hardware not recognizing Rekordbox volumes? I've got a couple of hard drives and SD cards that my CDJs don't like to read, despite them showing up and synchronizing fine in the software. They're the right format (FAT32) but they just don't show up on the CDJs and I can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't.

You mean while using link? Sometimes I’ll have a player, that doesn’t have the usb stick, see the playlists, artists, keys and stuff but then says all the folders are empty. Usually I can load or delete a track from the tag menu, and suddenly it sees all the tracks in those folders. Ive tried loading a previous track and that made it see everything as well. Turning it off and on fixes too. This usually only happens once or twice a set and only with a couple of my usb sticks. Kind of annoying but I can quickly deal with it. This is with (3) xdj1000mk2 and a djm2000nxs, the players have latest firmware but the mixer does not.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

^ he's done the 24hrs and is still going... Jealous of that music library fr :aaaaa:

Hopefully some maniac puts out the track list because that right there is a huge, huge chunk of pure DJ gold.

I caught about the first three hours live; lots of classic uk garage and cue button abusing, was great!

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

mitztronic posted:

Beatport is really going downhill on their website, especially with UI problems

For at least the past two weeks, the 'play all' and 'add to playlist' buttons have been broken. They're aware of it but somehow this simple issue is not fixable in 2 weeks despite being a huge user issue and reported many times. There is no ETA from them. I'm a software dev and this is the kind of bug that should be fixable in an hour or two. You would think it would be high priority since it effects listening.

On Safari, right now you cannot always add tracks or albums to your cart. I am using chrome now, but this is just another example of the most critical functions of the site not working.

On tablets, the playlist drawer is gone and the volume slider doesn't work.

It's especially unfortunate that even with these issues, it's still a better site to use than the competitors...

My absolute fav bport thing is always having to login every visit, remember me never ever works

The new downloader is pretty bad too, I can only do one track at a time or it fucks up

I've been using bandcamp mostly now but it's hard to discover new music on the site

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Has anyone sold their vinyl collection?

I haven't seriously played them in a lonnng time. I would love to free up some space / I don't want to pay for a storage shed, I don't want to move with them (not planning on moving soon but maybe) and I'd love to make some cash. I also think now is the time to sell, I don't see newer djs wanting to get into records, and the old guard is getting older.

Did you sell them individually on discogs or do bundles some other way? (Advertise on genre specific online groups?)

Do you regret selling? Really what kept me on the format was exclusivity of tunes but that's not an issue anymore. I spent the summer ripping most of the house I would play. And if there's something I'm selling I could just rip before shipping. I have this weird habit of not mixing formats I either play all digital or all vinyl.

I have pretty much every trance and progressive house tune released, a healthy collection of drum n bass, and then hundreds in random genres. Even the given lower value on discogs is a nice sum however I'm aware it would take years to get even that.

TLDR; what are your experiences selling vinyl collections? Worth it? Thanks

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Nov 2, 2021

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

sporklift posted:

I think about selling my 2000+ record collection weekly haha. How many records do you have?

Close to 6000, 95% DJ 12" singles.

I'll admit I'm considering quitting teaching and need some sort of job to occupy my time while I figure out what to do next and a little income wouldn't hurt. So selling individually looks attractive. Not really in a area for buyers but I have a cargo van. Biggest closest city seems to have decent vinyl shops but no DJ specific ones and no one really plays out on wax anymore.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Personally, I would LOVE to stumble across a collection like yours. I go to my local record shop and just clean out their $1-3 "electronic" records every time I'm there.

This is the way. If you make a regular habit of always checking every bin you'll strike gold. I tell this story all the time but I found the entire Good Looking Records catalog in the used dollar bin. Got lots of collections this way.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

If you really want to browse: https://www.discogs.com/user/Virgil_Vox/collection

I'll crosspost a "did u ever sell collection" post in the vinyl thread too

also lol the thread title really needs an update

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Nov 2, 2021

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Super86 posted:

What are your thoughts on dedicated controllers (XDJ RX family for example) vs controllers requiring a laptop?

I've recently started an online course on Udemy and the first thing the guy tells you is to get a standalone controller. The reason supposedly being reliability (laptops tend to fail at the worst possible moment) and convenience (not having to carry the laptop around in the first place). But I can also see some pros in using the laptop. So what are your thoughts on this?

Depends on your goals and sorta what you play. Contrary to the above poster in the EDM world virtually no-one uses laptops and just rolls up with sticks. In the open format genres laptops are all but required. The technology is good enough that no matter what path you choose it will work well. I use sticks cause my sets tend to stick close to a single genre and I don't need to do any turntable tricks. I like not worrying about where a laptop/controller will go, I have redundancy with cloned sticks, and i'm not bugging the person before/after or soundperson by reaching over and plugging/unplugging poo poo. If your going to just play a handful of tech-house tunes for an hour then sticks are the way. But having a laptop is great for large libraries where you spin everything, and when you play multiple hours it's so much easier to search and organize, you also might have more control of effects/loops/production, and of course if your into turntables that's the way to go with DVS. I would look to what your scene or fav DJs are doing and copy that as a start

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I want to get into a record pool but they all want proof that I'm "actually a professional DJ" and I'm definitely not. I just spin poo poo in my bedroom. I'm mainly a video guy and I haven't had many DJ's/events to work with through pandemic times so I figured I'd start spinning and streaming. Using Serato and a Numark Platinum FX I borrowed from a DJ friend.

lie, they don't check

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

This worked. I'm in ZipDJ. Seems overly expensive for what they have.

Anybody mess with Roland's controllers with the sequencer on the top? Are they cool?

Nice, I had zip DJ for maybe a month or a trail can't remember, but yeah I wasn't too impressed. I was really happy with DJ City for anything open format.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

algebra testes posted:

The toughest realization for every bedroom DJ is that they're never leaving the bedroom and shouldn't bother learning Pioneer gear so just stick to Traktor, baby.

At least I turned off beatmatch and the phase guide though.

That's not a bad strat at all

There's so many talented bedroom only djs rocking numarks*

*or whatever it is now

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I don't know if I'd be able to help either way but do you mean Video Djing or Virtual DJ?

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

I would also recommend a baby pioneer controller like the ddj400. Native Instruments doesn't have a great track record supporting their older gear and honestly I'm surprised they are still around. You'll wake up to a software update that will completely nerf your gear. Pioneer will be robust and supported for at least the near future. Unfortunately the entry level controllers don't have a vinyl pass through.

Couldn't go wrong with either of these, serato/rekordbox are both great.

Roland DJ - 202 would be a good controller for serato.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srg-QtEHpwI

DDJ400 - for pioneer record box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6-dSpRCp0w

^ I used to post on a DJ message board with that dude , cool to see he's still in the game, big ups.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

JamesKPolk posted:

I'm kinda throwing around getting cdjs. I have turntables but lol at this point digitizing my vinyl seems easier than gigging that way.

What number do Pioneer cdjs start getting good? I'm seeing 800s that are around what I wanna pay, 1000s for more, then the 2k/3k well outta reach. When do they start playing USB sticks as well as cds?

Are Denon ones decent? Are they gonna mess me up if everywhere I might play is pioneers? Any other brand to consider?

I'd stick with pioneer if your going to play out. I'd look at used xdj700 , or the first gen xdj1000mk1. The XDJ-RR is also a nice stand alone unit.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

^ That's a tough one. I had the little Native Instruments bare bones 2 ch mixer and used it with their ipad app and being able to mix on planes, cars, classrooms was an absolute blast, so the Prime Go would be extremely fun if you think you'll use it in that way. It also gets you into a "pro" ecosystem and you could add the big boys for home/studio later like you were saying. I've been itching to try those motorized players. There's a nice used one on Musicians Friend with a case: https://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/used-denon-dj-prime-go-dj-controller/117799618.

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

beeaar posted:

I was going to get a DDJ-400 but snoozed and now it's sold out on Amazon and on their official website. What's the best place for me to look for one? Can I trust ebay?

assuming USA:
Reverb, Guitar Center, Musicians Friend, agi pro and yeah ebay is prolly fine

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Records where one channel is hotter is not uncommon but also check the tracking and weight on needle

edit: this on the chem bro album? I'll pull my copy and see

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Apr 11, 2022

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

"where do I begin" remains timelessly good. So I guess it most be the mixer itself? Strange then. But yeah arnt digital inputs nice, don't think I've used a line level rca in 15 years.

Reminds me:
The cdj200s (yes just two zeroes) were amazing bang for buck at the time, if you didn't need to scratch. .02% pitch, digital outputs, mp3 data cd capacity, very shock resistant.

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 13, 2022

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Have at least a set worth on a stick. I personally will never trust a streaming source, but 256AAC will be okay quality wise

edit: there are some bport deals ending today so take advantage of that if you are downloading

Virgil Vox fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 28, 2022

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Like other posters said you'll be great! Keep it mellow with edm but if your doing open format a couple bangers from the early 2010s would be fine. I like opening the best, set the mood, play weirder tracks, can see who responds to what, it's kinda a challenge but rewarding.

I remember when I first started going to raves and/or all ages shows with trance headliners and honestly I liked the warm up DJs sets more than Paul van Dyk or tiesto cause they had tunes I never heard before, they were experts at crafting a mood and atmosphere that made you work for that musical satisfaction if that makes any sense lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virgil Vox
Dec 8, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

What's the go-to record pool these days? I've been seeing a lot of stuff about zip DJ and tidal, but I have no experience with anything beyond beatport.

I mainly spin house, tech house, DnB.

DJCity , I don't think you'll have any luck with pools specifically for those genres though there's an occasional house remix.