Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Splinter posted:

The S4 will support timecode at some point. It has 2 phono/line input channels to hookup turntables or CDJs, but the software doesn't support it yet. I'm guessing you'll be able to use timecode with the S4 in Tractor Scratch Pro 2.

http://nativeinstruments.com/#/en/products/dj/traktor-kontrol-s4/?page=1813 [bottom of the page]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That Wicked Walrus posted:

Seriously, if you want some laughs go ask any of your non-DJ friends about DJ equipment (club girls are best for this).

"Press headphone to ear, music comes out".

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

melee beats posted:

i made you guys a picture

Counterpoint:

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 8, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Leaving out the laptop is an interesting idea. I can see this getting some traction in the mobile market thanks to the phone import. Does it take pre-gridded tracks? Will it also be usable as a generic Traktor controller? Can you give any pricing hints?

Also if you can say will there be any other SCS updates? I still think the SCS3 is dying for an audio interface module and a USB SCS1d that could do Traktor's high-res jog code would be neat.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

AKP posted:

Since I can connect the S4 to my iMac via USB, can I just plug in normal headphones through my mac and still hear what I'm doing while mixing?

You could just buy a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for $0.23 [or $3 at your local radio shack] but that sounds far less complicated than your solution ;)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

More MusikMesse stuff:
ITCH 2 preview, sample player, UI changes, still no built-in effects:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdlgcc4A2Jc

Novation Twitch: compact ITCH controller with no wheels $500
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/04/05/novation-twitch-brand-new-controller-with-a-twist/

Pioneer DJM-T1, looks like a Rane 57SL competitor, 2-deck scratch live control, $2000
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/04/06/pioneer-djm-t1-brand-new-traktor-mixer/

also comedy Numark Mixdeck Quad: 4-channel all in one [seriously, look at the picture] box
http://www.skratchworx.com/news3/comments.php?id=1687

quote:

MIXDECK QUAD comes complete with Traktor LE DJ software in Europe and Asia, while North and South American DJs will receive Virtual DJ software in the box.
:jiggled:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've seen DJs mix between dubstep and D&B by using a track that's 1/2 the BPM of the D&B.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I thought pee breaks were the whole reason extended mixes existed?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Professorbx posted:

So, the goon DJ machine I managed/worked on, the Stanton SCS.4DJ just got released, and I (or my tattooed arms) was in a commercial we shot for the unit.
Does the .m4a support include Apple Lossless?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do think it's weird that the S4 and the NS6 are both just barely too big to fit well in a normal carry-on sized bag, it would seem like that would be a really big deal to a lot of traveling DJs.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah the last time I saw Qbert play he was on after Jazzy Jeff who is technically perfect [seriously it's unreal] but can still make a crowd move. There's also super-tech DJs like Kid Koala or Swamp who still make it entertaining. Qbert was great matched up with the Piklz or on a 2x2 but on his own it's "master of 10,000 'wah' scratches".

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Firaga posted:

Traktor S2!! It's so cute! I'd imagine its perfect for a professional mobile dj (weddings, events, etc)
http://www.djtechtools.com/2011/08/25/traktor-kontrol-s2-exclusive-look/

Looks neat and way more portable than an S4. I know Ean Golden is like filter/effect god but do people really use filters so much that it's a big complaint about what's missing? Plus it seems like a good upsell opportunity for him to sell more midi fighters.

edit spoke too soon: "This controller, augmented by a more performance-oriented controller could provide a great center piece to your DJ arsenal."

qirex fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Aug 25, 2011

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I just poked around in a grime mix I have [Science Faction: Grime] and the transitions are mostly instant, super short or have a sound effect over them. Most rap songs have intro and/or outro segments.

Solution: airhorn.wav

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pocket (well almost) scratching!
https://vimeo.com/32513569
It's more of a proof of concept than anything but with some improvements I could see something like Twitch + an ipad + some kind of single job scratch controller being super portable and flexible.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

geeves posted:

:stonk:
I'm predicting a lot of lip piercings and fitted New Eras with flat brims.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I got myself a Kontrol S2 because I got a bonus at work, I have a dumb Traktor question: Is there any way for it to feed the detected BPM back into the BPM tag in the library? It obviously saves it because it doesn't analyze the file again but the BPM stays 0 in the browser.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Rickets posted:

I believe you have to hit the little lock icon button in Traktor to save to ID3.. check out this page near the bottom:

http://blog.dubspot.com/beat-gridding-in-traktor-syncing-properly-dj-endo/

(I haven't used Traktor in a couple months so I don't exactly remember where)
That looks like it should work. Given my job as an interface designer the number of tiny, unlabeled controls in Traktor is kind of driving me nuts. One other question, since my old favorite Sony V6es appear to have disappeared from the market, what's a good pair of headphones in the $100ish range? I'm not going to be gigging or anything, this is just for screwing around at home. I've heard good things about the Audio-Technica ATH-PRO5 and the price is certainly right.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

JohnnyMondo posted:

It's at the high end, but some of the best studio / DJ headphones under 100 are the Sony MDR-V600.
I tried the V600s a long time ago and wasn't a huge fan. I ended up buying V700s instead [anyone want to guess what happened to those?]. It looks like V6es and 7506es are trickling back into the retail channel so I might just get a pair of those, maybe another tsunami or Thailand flood distribution problem for Sony?

I should have just bought like 4 pairs of v6es when they were $75 on Amazon 5 years ago.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 16, 2012

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Is anyone going to the DMC Bay Area Regionals? I've been to several of them in the past but the all ages crowd + it will probably take even longer than before to get everyone's laptops/interfaces connected makes it less appealing.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think there's actually a good argument for a DJ-specific file format, it would be pretty cool if you could have a portable standard container format, especially if it could save cue points, loops or even multiple versions of one song [clean/dirty/instrumental/acapella].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Vidmaster posted:

but then you also have people like David Guetta who supposedly just plays a prerecorded set and stands there pretending to fiddle with knobs and such.
I saw Moby do this exact thing in 1993.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Has anyone here tried V-Moda Fader 2 headphones?

edit: I went ahead and bought them, I'll post impressions when I get them.

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 30, 2012

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shovelbearer posted:

I hope to do more gigs there, as the male:female ratio was quite nice:
Something Awful DJ thread exclusive: Bitches love tater tots.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Or the just-announced Denon SC2900. The jogs aren't motorized but they're big like a CDJ and it supports USB drives and has native Traktor support.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I know turntablism isn't everyone's cup of tea but this poo poo is bananas:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoyaJR-QnSU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

oredun posted:

Neither, they will both be outdated and worthless(money wise) in a year or two.

That said, id choose the typhoon because its all metal.
Every DJ controller [except maybe the VCI-400] will be outdated and worthless in 2 years.

I had a Vestax Spin which was the same hardware as the Typhoon and it was a far cry from all metal but it was decent quality. The main thing I didn't like about it was that there was no way to not use the mouse and keyboard, buttons instead of a knob for track browsing meant it was always faster to go back to the computer.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't play out but I'm really happy with the Crossfade LP2 for home use. They recently released a "better" folding pair but they're $100 more which is pushing it since they have the exact same drivers as the LP2.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The earcups on the v-modas don't rotate. If you're looking for that look elsewhere.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The S2 has pitch faders.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Paul Kersey posted:

Hey all, what kind of basic set up would I need in order to start DJing college house parties? I like to play techno, house, etc, and I would just be using two turntables and a mixer.
Records. You also need records.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Roybot posted:

It also makes playing connect-the-dots between labels much much easier, which is probably the most useful feature of it.
Yeah, in an age where everyone who makes dance music releases under 4 names across 6 labels discogs is gold.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you don't have "Single Ladies" you'll be fired and replaced by a cell phone immediately before the bouquet toss.

Basically have as much of the billboard top 100 for the last 40 years as you can get your hands on.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

To me it can be deconstructed down to which way the crowd is facing. If they're all looking at the DJ it's one kind of show, if they're all looking at each other it's another.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

bad day posted:

Not metal, but look for something Z-Trip and Cut Chemist did live at the Future Primitive, it's a sort of rock/rap/turntablism thing and might give you ideas.
That's "Live at the Future Primitive Sound Session vol 2" with him and DJ radar and it is impressive but it's also two incredible DJs on 4 turntables who practiced together a lot so your results may vary. Z-Trip did some other interesting stuff, look at "Rockstar" and "Rockstar II" he did for Return of the DJ compilations which are more metal-oriented and the "Uneasy Listening" and "Best Friends" mixtapes, [both from before mashups were really A Thing].

Sidenote: Even if you're not that into turntablism I think stuff like the Return of the DJ or Deep Concentration compilations can be great for ideas [or jacking beats].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Kid Gloves posted:

It's too loving corny to exist.
Counterpoint: Scooter has been around for 20 years and still gets gigs. That said I hadn't heard that Selfie song and it's bad, like I'd rather listen to Scooter bad. That lazy sawtooth sound seems like it's getting long in the tooth and "bitchy woman talking" songs are nearly universally awful [racking my brain for one that isn't].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Bay Area lore has this as the canonical version of the creation of PLUR
http://hyperreal.org/raves/spirit/plur/Origin_of_PLUR.html

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I should finally sell my Tascam XS-8, I bought it on clearance but it's just a rebranded Hak 320.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Move the needle? How about moving the whole turntable?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpldTnghpNk
[also some pretty ill foot scratching]

Swamp is a beast though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I like the idea but it needs more connectivity, like you should be able to plug in an external controller if you want more pads or knobs or something. Or 2 RJ45s so you cna daisy chain them. Or at least another USB port on the back if you just want a big HD of tunes, putting the place where the music comes from right next to the touchscreen seems risky. Plus if they did that they could finally do something many DJs have needed for ages: sealing the top plate so it can resist a spilled double vodka cran. [anyone want to make a "SPORTS" mixer in all yellow?]

I'm sure there will be an XDJ-2000 next year that costs twice as much and has 2 USB ports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

keevo posted:

Good luck to all the DJs playing tonight. Don't gently caress up.

Remember: midnight is when you say it is.