Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

If you're serious about scratching you'll need a good direct drive turntable. The "super OEM" ones [even Pioneer] all come from Hanpin. I think the most popular are the Pioneers, Stanton 150s or the Reloop 7000s. I haven't been paying attention to used 1200 prices but the ones I mentioned earlier are in the $450-700 range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The only time I've seen anything like that and actually enjoyed it was the first time I saw BT many, many years ago and he was using an MPC as a controller but he had it rigged up to the lights and stuff, plus half the time he was playing the pads using actual drumsticks. Diplo-style inifini-looping on vocals does nothing for me.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I had an S2 and the fader was OK but the jogs were a bit fiddly, I mean obviously it can be done, there's plenty of youtubes attesting to that fact, I just never felt 100% on it [not that I'm any good at scratching in the first place]. It's hard to adjust to how much you have to move the jog wheel equivalent to a record.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Saucy Slit posted:

Amazing battle b/t Xmen and ISP. If anything watch it for the ISP routine because they just spank the Xmen. It's kinda hard to get through the X routine, very sloppy. You can see how deflated they are after ISP tears it up on a whole new level. And as a Bay Area crew they flipped the lids off this NY crowd completely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsV3aR6rhkc

The routine the X-Men do around 2 minutes is a classic and I love how Mixmaster Mike always looks like he's having a blast. They're not really listenable as music per se but the ISP's Shiggar Fraggar Show recordings are pretty insane especially given when they were recorded. Most of them are on youtube.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

My favorites downtempo mixes are probably Code 4019 by DJ Krush, Celestial Mechanix by DJ Spooky and Blazing the Crop by Rae & Christian.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Alfajor posted:

I'm baffled. How does Serato promote this as "a supreme performance" ??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lR7gQGhEJqg

Compare and contrast.

edit: Also I'm reminded that awful Zac Efron "I do my special move on some CDJs" movie had the third worst opening in Hollywood history.

qirex fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 1, 2015

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Stems are interesting to me but they seem like a first step. It seems like you'd actually want multiple stems per part, like you could have both the clean and dirty version of the vocals or multiple basslines. It just feels like they developed the limitations of the format entirely around the limitations of their controllers [which is reasonable I guess since they implemented it]. That said it makes a lot more sense than remix decks which I never really understood.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mitztronic posted:

I've seen a lot of stupid, ridiculous poo poo on beatport but this takes the cake:

https://pro.beatport.com/release/dna-spectrum-frequencies-part-5/1491753

Wasn't there a performance record like this? I want to say DJ Radar or DJ Swamp or one of those experimental guys made it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess minimum $1500 maybe even $2000+ [and that's for the aluminum model], Panasonic is using Technics as its high end brand and it looks like they did a lot of work on this. The 1200s were so "cheap" for so long because they could just keep one assembly line running with minimal changes and this looks like they did some major work.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

revmoo posted:

Aren't they pretty much dirt cheap at this point?

I looked a few years ago and the only ones that were under $500 were absolutely thrashed; bent tonearm, janky speed control etc. and now that replacement parts are dear it didn't seem worth it. Maybe it's changed in the last few years and in markets that aren't SF where literally everyone is a DJ.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

According to The Verge the SL-1200GAE model with magnesium platter and tonearm will be $4000.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

revmoo posted:

Not sure I believe that.
It's limited edition though! only 1200 made ever until the next special edition.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Mister Speaker posted:

Seriously though the new converters and AES/EBU output are realistically the only big improvement. Why do they think we need more, bigger screens?
Pioneer marketing is just jealous of all the brand exposure Apple has been getting for free so the answer is to put a literal wall of glowing Pioneer logos between the DJ and the crowd. Some rich BurnerBro is sure to have them on the playa this year because he can, we'll see how durable they are.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Looks like Pioneer is serious about Rekordbox DVS, they just announced a $349 mixer with the license included. What's the cheapest Serato mixer, the Mixars Duo? That's a grand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bPY7nc7wpY

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Are people not into Sony V6/V6506 anymore? Before the current crop of DJ-focused headphones started coming out 12ish years ago they were what everybody used. Is it because they don't get as loud as more modern ones? They're $78 on Amazon [and you'll probably have to replace the pads after a few years for $10].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

MrSargent posted:

For what it's worth, my buddy who has been DJing for 10+ years told me that Serato and Traktor are similar enough that transitioning wasn't really an issue. You would just have to redo all of your cues and loops I believe.

There's software to automate this, Rekord Buddy if you're on a Mac, I think there's similar Windows software floating around. If you don't have many cue points and stuff it might not be worth $60 though.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Friday thought experiment: on a scale of "slightly stupid" to "you're a moron" how bad of an idea would it be to try to teach myself to scratch on a PT-01? I just simply don't have space for full turntables at the moment and the idea of being able to use timecode and a mixfader with my phone or iPad is super appealing. I figure if nothing else I'll end up with a super light touch.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

dj bobby bieber posted:

Two of my friends who are turntablists can rock a pt-01 with a mixfader. I've only seen videos of them working it, but it sounds like it's fine. I'd say give it a shot

I mean learn from the beginning. I have a feeling it's like trying to learn pool on one of those Sharper Image tabletop pool tables.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's more about space and complexity than budget, I actually have a decent scratch mixer sitting in my closet. It's also about me not starting to buy records again [I had a problem with buying records] and wanting to keep my computer out of the equation. Other things I've been considering are a controller that can interface with iOS like the Reloop Beatpad or even an XDJ [but at that point I'm saving no space and exceeding the cost of buying a decent record player]. The appeal of the PT-01 setup is I could put it away instead of dedicating a huge chunk of space to it. I'm a total corner case I know.

reminds me of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xuy0GAsnNQ

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Olympic Mathlete posted:

That's the initial video I thought of but then on rewatching it realised he wasn't exactly scratching. I then found that other one which is actually really loving cool.

If you go later in the video he does some rudimentary juggling but yeah, the one you posted is more actual scratching. I just have a permanent soft spot for '90s DMC videos. Life was so much simpler then :shobon:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I think that's a photoshop from the DJTechTools forum, or I've seen something very much like that there. People have been asking for something like that since the horrible Technics CD players.

The mixer is definitely real though, they gave one to the US DMC winner last week.

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 12, 2017

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

They're both real and the pricing is reasonably competitive:

The Seventy Two is $1899 which is a lot but is only $200 more than the Pioneer S9 it's clearly meant to replace.

The Twelve is $799 which is also a lot but it's in the ballpark of a super OEM turntable and a decent cartridge. Not sure about the touch strip cue points, I think most people will stick to using the ones on the mixer.

I think the thing about both of these is they leave room for other products both above and below them, like a smaller version of the Twelve or a 4-channel version of the mixer.

There's also two new cheaper Roland all-in-one controllers for Serato so it looks like it's Pioneer vs. everyone else on Serato [and deep in a Berlin basement I guess someone's probably still working on Traktor and wondering why nobody loves stems as much as they do].

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oh if you buy the S2 make sure you get the previous owner to email Native Instruments and free up the Traktor license, just unregistering a computer won't do it [speaking from experience]. It was a fun decent controller but I didn't like the jogs much but if you're not trying to learn to scratch on them you should be fine.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I have the opposite problem, I'm trying to sell a dead mint Tascam XS-8 which is a rebadged ecler 320 for $100 and I'm getting like "yo does this do serato" and offers of literally fifteen dollars.

[if anyone's interested let me know, it's in the original box so I could ship it]

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVolzBEy-MU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Phase isn't from Rane, it's a startup and I think they launched it via crowdfunding. The plan is that it works with every DVS software but they've been demoing it with Serato because thet's where the bulk of scratch DJs are.

Jeff is maybe the cleanest sounding hip hop DJ I've ever seen, like his whole set was just technically perfect down to EQs and everything.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

According to this Technics wants $1200 for the new Mk7s, which is frankly hilarious but I'm not shocked. I was guessing $999.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It'll be fun to watch the mental gymnastics when the next Nexus players look and feel like the 1/3 of a DDJ-1000 mixed with a SC5000 but cost three grand apiece.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Phase just got delayed for like the 4th time, March is the release date now. It’s cool technology but I’d wait until it was a bit more mature.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I liked Butter Rugs but part of that is being a ISP/Bay Area homer. They're really thin compared to felt so you'll have to set your counterbalance a little heavier.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sorry to double post but this just popped up:

10" touchscreen
4 USB, SD slot and internal 2.5" drive bay
smaller jogs but same screen in the middle
$1699

a bunch more stuff here
https://djtechtools.com/2019/01/17/prime-4-details-of-denon-djs-new-1699-4-deck-standalone/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk8uIIPwOCw

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 17, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I kept waiting for them to show the screen tucking away somehow but nope, it sits over the edge of the case. I think if this does OK there's a chance for an even larger one with full size jogs, but I think that would probably approach the cost of an actual SC5000/X1800 setup anyway and be way more of a pain to ship and service.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'd guess if Pioneer has anything soon it'll be a new CDJ/XDJ player with the center screen from the DDJ-1000 and performance pads. That said if they want pads they'll have to make the jog wheel smaller which is why I'd guess this will be more of an XDJ-1000 mk3 and not a Nexus player.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DACs are basically a solved problem, I'd imagine they're just using whatever is in the rest of their pro gear. What impacts the sound is the processing algorithms they use more than CPU horsepower, I mean an iPhone can do 4 tracks of audio with effects and realtime video in djay, hardware specs aren't going to tell you how it sounds.

That Akai thing looks super fun and if I was dumb I'd buy one as a toy.

qirex fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 18, 2019

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah Stanton was doing some out there stuff, the SCS.1D was basically the original Rane Twelve and they had other bits like the SCS 3 with its weird modular no moving parts controllers.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Reports from NAMM are that the new 1200 feels a little cheap, which might be a problem since it's the most expensive DJ turntable on the market.
https://djworx.com/namm-2019-technics-sl1200mk7-oh-boy/
https://www.digitaldjtips.com/2019/01/the-new-technics-sl1200-mk-7/

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

For uplifting trance just listen to a bunch of Gatecrasher and Euphoria mixes and pick your favorites.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Annual reminder to not update macOS until your DJ software says it’s ok.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It must be nice to be able to move as slowly as Pioneer, like they haven't even put the DDJ jog screens into the CDJ/XDJ line yet and they're still selling just fine charging over 2 grand for a CD player.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

There’s 7” control discs you could put on a PT-01.