Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I had to mix in my headphones for so long because my dj booths never had monitors.

I don't know how people use split cue...it always felt super weird to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Use a half beat, echo out on the beat. If it's good enough for literally every live mix radio dj, it's good enough for your 50 year old party. Don't get too fancy with effects...you'll get complaints.

edit: and don't speed mix through like 100 songs in 30 minutes. there's a time and place for everything and that party is not it

edit 2: change your filter settings to djm in traktor. i think it's under setup-->mixer? i am not a traktor guy (serato 4 lyfe) but i seem to remember the default is like allen and heath or something.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 2, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Yeah, don't spend that kind of money on headphones. You can get a decent pair for like $1-200 bucks. I've been using the same pair of Ultrasones for almost 10 years for djing and mild-producing. I also have a pair of AIAIAIs that are somewhat modular but I always end up using the Ultrasones because they're more comfortable.

edit: http://www.ultrasone.audio/en/products/dj/dj-1

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 3, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

MrSargent posted:

Is there any reason to get the Ultrasone DJ 1 Pro instead of the standard DJ 1?

The only differences are some replacement pads and a detachable headphone cable. It's up to you. The detachable cable is nice if you're like me and forget to unplug your headphones and try to walk away from the mixer.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

mitztronic posted:

I've had my finger on the buy button for a pair of these for a long time. Sounds like I should just do it...

DO IT

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

MrSargent posted:

Sorry to bump, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? I want to order the headphones today so they arrive before I go out of town if possible.

DJ equipment has ridiculous MSRPs. Really that goes for all musical equipment.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

qirex posted:

There's software to automate this, Rekord Buddy if you're on a Mac, I think there's similar Windows software floating around. If you don't have many cue points and stuff it might not be worth $60 though.

There used to be a free Native Instruments utility to do that very thing. I seem to remember it was in their forums.

edit: http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=12266

The download links still work.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 15:48 on May 19, 2017

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Only use transitions. The more pitbull the better.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Also it looks like the DJM-T1 supports rekordbox DVS now. My biggest gripe with the T1 was Traktor.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Put your :10bux: on this shopping list and never worry about anything ever

5-10 each of the following:

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=7150
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7186
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7135
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7139

two of these: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4760

and regular XLR, 1/4, RCA cables

RCA is 100% not the standard audio out. The standard is XLR or 1/4. You'd use RCA for booth or recording. IIRC this has something to do with RCA getting electrical interference over long distances but I might be confusing that with something else.

Edit: here is why http://www.aviom.com/blog/balanced-vs-unbalanced/

Get all of this stuff plus this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DI20

Boom, you can play in any venue

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

lmbo calrissian posted:

Hey can anyone answer this in 5 words or less?

Am practicing learning to dj - what monitors should i buy? i have a garage, too unmotivated to plug in headphones

$150 per speaker. Good deal.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The ones I linked are loud enough for house parties if you ever decide to dj outside your bedroom.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Nobody dj's in stereo either, so just like, buy one monitor.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm having an issue with Rekordbox that's becoming a major pain in the rear end. I do a lot of copying of files and playlists between RB, Traktor and iTunes, to facilitate quick access whether I'm DJing with my laptop, CDJs, or putting music on my phone. The process I use is a bit convoluted (I think I've laid it all out ITT before) but it works perfectly fine - the gist of it is that everything is based on the iTunes folder hierarchy (Artist/Album/Track) and all other software is referencing those file paths so I don't end up wasting space with multiple copies of songs. Once cues and other metadata are edited in Traktor, it's all run through RekordBuddy and the playlists are manually copied into Rekordbox. Like I said, this works fine, ensuring consistency of file structure and preventing unnecessary duplicate files.

But just today I opened up Rekordbox to find about 240 songs missing. These tracks were not missing last night when I was organizing them into playlists across Traktor and Rekordbox. The problem only seemed to occur when I created a handful of playlists in iTunes (to put music on my phone). It seems to be random - not local to one or two playlists, just a handful of songs from different lists. The files are exactly where they're supposed to be, even the 'missing' filepath in Rekordbox shows identical to the actual file location.

Any ideas why RB is doing this? Or if there might be a way to batch relocate these files, to avoid the tedium of manually pointing it at each one of 240 tracks?

I would reach out to the Rekord Buddy dude about this. He may be able to help better than the Pioneer support.

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

OK what is the best way for me to get radio-safe versions of top-40 songs? This is a one-time thing so I do not want to subscribe to anything.

"She just bought a new rear end but has the same boobs"

iTunes but they won't be DJ versions, or just join a record pool anyway.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
That's a good price for them. Just be aware that the CDJ900+ are better because you can link them together.

edit: it may not matter to you. use can still use the usb connection on the 850 to connect to traktor/serato. if you don't, you just need to double up on cds and usb sticks. kind of annoying

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Jul 20, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Just get an A/B switch for your computer speakers. It'll be a lot easier in the long run.

https://www.amazon.com/Source-Table...+input+selector

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Mister Speaker posted:

Once again I'm trying to streamline my music collections across my three machines, and I'm at something of a roadblock. I've come to the conclusion that the best way to keep Traktor and Rekordbox libraries sync'd across my computers is to make them both native to an external drive. The roadblock I seem to be hitting is that both pieces of software don't like to 'relocate' files unless they're actively flagged as missing.

Rekordbox already has a utility in its preferences to transfer the database, and I can highlight all new tracks and export them to the external drive... but it doesn't seem to want to relocate them unless I trash the original files. What's worse, is that using its 'use this location to find other files' function doesn't seem to support nested folders (artist>album, for example), but it writes this kind of folder hierarchy on export!

Traktor, on the other hand, will support folder hierarchy, but its 'relocate' function will scan the entire selected volume, which takes forever. I'm currently exporting its library, tracks and all, to the new drive, then I will load that collection and check the filepaths - but if I import new music in the future, will it automatically copy it to the external drive? If I change one of the library locations in the File Management pane, will it do this?

Basically I want to be able to add tracks, alter hotcues and organize playlists in my Traktor and Rekordbox libraries on my desktop, then move the hard drive over to my laptop and have the exact same updated data show there.

You want Rekord Buddy.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Oh, I guess I don't understand Rekord Buddy then. I know it can handle external collections but I get what you mean about the databases now. It's been a while since I've used Traktor.

I think in your situation maybe forego the database entirely and just use folders on your external. I know there's a lot of Traktor users in this thread but this is one area that Serato has done a great job with. Serato crates are stored wherever the music is stored and move with them. Same thing with the beatgrids and cue points.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
edit: oh, I was wrong. The 750 doesn't support Serato, only rekordbox and Traktor.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 7, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Serato supported Pioneer stuff tbh. Also check out the Rane 72. I've owned both Rane and Pioneer gear and I liked them both.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

revmoo posted:

Pretty sure it's time for a new receiver. In the meantime, is there a quantization I can enable in Serato?

I mean, real djs don't use sync :smug: but I believe there's a Q for quantize in the upper left hand side of the UI. There's more settings for it in the setup screens.

Also it's worth clicking on the question mark in the upper right of the screen to enable the tooltips temporarily. There's a bunch of shortcuts listed in the tool tips that will make your life easier.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

guppy posted:

I've thought of moving from Traktor to Serato because everyone else seems to use it and the controllers seem nice, but I haven't bothered because the stuff I do uses like 2% of DJ software features. Reading this I am kind of glad I haven't.

That would make you the perfect Serato user.

revmoo posted:

I thought I was graduating to the big leagues going from Traktor to Serato but it's a sideways move AT BEST.

There are actually a lot of things I like about Serato, but it's really not a better product, and probably mildly worse.

I think I can make peace with the lovely grid algorithm and the lovely sync, but I have GOT to figure out a way to set BPM's on the fly. If it's not possible I think that might actually be a dealbreaker.

You can, click on the BPM and tap it out. Also to be perfectly clear, you're not using ABS mode when you're djing right?

also: serato BPM haters- https://support.serato.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004115507-BPM-Range

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 31, 2018

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
They'll probably be 899 in whatever your local currency is. Brits and European customers always get the shaft on electronics.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I think people have moved on emotionally from Technics. Technics is like an ex that never goes away and still wants to hookup like 5 years later.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

MrSargent posted:

Don't know if this has been posted before but this is a really cool video from Rane featuring DJ Jazzy Jeff. Seeing him get excited over a new piece of technology is pretty cool since he has been doing this for decades now. These are essentially trying to emulate the sound of vinyl without any of the complications associated with turntables and needles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK_ATzpPzKM

Yeah, like 3 pages or so ago. You actually quoted the same video.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Click the arrow in the upper right part of the history window and add the artist field.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Thumps don't get loud enough imho. I think the JBL EON series is a lot better...at least a much higher SPL than you'd get from the Mackies. I guess it depends on the size of the room and the amount of people.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
The extra features on all these Pioneer controllers sure make good Youtube videos, but like, who uses them while actually playing out? I never even used most of the features on my VCI-380 and it's like a quarter of the size.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm really disappointed that Serato hasn't gotten with the times and implemented touchscreen support. Hell, I can't even run it in anything other than 1080 resolution without it looking all fucky. It's only a feature people have been asking about for like, what, 7 years?

If you’re on a Mac, they released a Retina version like last year. I don’t know if they ever did the same for Windows.

edit: wait, maybe I’m thinking of ableton?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

guppy posted:

I have some dumb beginner questions

There's really not any sort of "one size fits all" approach to djing, which is why it's hard to find what you're looking for. Many of these questions break down to defining your style. I'll try to address some of them from the perspective of a multi-year, top40/open format bar & club dj.

quote:

I understand that people try to keep tempo the same when they transition so that it's not jarring to the audience, but they aren't playing an entire multi-hour set at the same tempo, are they? My uninformed thought is that maybe you'd try to play several (3-5?) songs in a row that are the same tempo, using the pitch faders to normalize the tempo between them, and then do some kind of more abrupt transition like an echo out to move to a new BPM range. Is that accurate? I understand I could also do half-time or double-time transitions, but that's still pretty limiting.

This is heavily dependent on music format. If I'm playing a 100bpm track and need to get 120, I might do the stair step method of playing a couple songs to get there or if it's a well known song, I might drop it cold. It really depends on the track and what the crowd is feeling. There are also trannys (premade transition tracks) which are also fine, but I tried not to use them all the time. One of the hardest things to do while learning is not playing in front of somebody because you have no idea how your set is landing. The audience is a big part of what's happening as far as song selection and mixing style. Also, if you haven't already, I highly recommend finding some kind of record pool that has the kind of music you're looking to play out. If you play polka or something, maybe there's not one out there for you, but generally speaking record pools have most of the genres covered.

quote:

I'm assuming most people aren't just fading one track out and hitting play on another track like a radio DJ, right? I mean, it does seem like that would work, but I think I should be looking to do better than that. Besides echoing a track out, I know I can just line up the tracks and cut to the new track on the one, or try to EQ mix the bassline of the old track out and the new one in, although you don't really have a ton of time with non-EDM tracks unless you set up a loop. Are there more options I should know about? I've watched a lot of YouTube videos on this, but they don't tend to get more in-depth than that.

Again, this is music dependent. Almost all of my songs have come from record pools (shout out to Benzi and Clubkillers) so they have dj intros on them already. A dj intro is an 8 or 16 bar drum only intro to a song that may also just go straight to the chorus before the first verse. This will allow you to mix either way...you could use a long intro if you're maintaining a groove or you can set a cue point on the chorus to change things up. You could also learn a few scratch techniques like the babby scratch and the one or two click flare. These are all tools in a tool box, not necessarily appropriate for every transition. Use your gut.

quote:

Videos on YouTube are all over the place about how much I should worry about mixing in key. Seems like more of a concern if I'm planning to EQ mix, but not so much with the others? I can't imagine people are trying to play entire sets in Gb minor, right? What's considered to be a "compatible" key? I would think maybe parallel (e.g., C Major -> C Minor) and relative (e.g. A Minor -> C Major) minors, maybe the dominant (e.g. C Major -> G Major)? (I am new to DJing but an old hand at music theory, feel free to throw music terms at me. In contrast, I have no idea what "4m" means as a key.) Should I care about this at all? Finding songs that are both the same tempo and the same key seems like a big ask, if you're looking to do it for more than a song or two.

I think this is one of Traktor's dumb quirks but you should really be using the Camelot wheel and not standard notation. I don't remember if Traktor has camelot translation or not. The basic gist of Camelot is that the notation is in 1A, 2A, 3A or B around a wheel. You can mix from 1A to 2A and know that it will be in key, and you can go 1A to 1A if you want. You can also jump from A to B and around the wheel. I know Serato DJ and Rekordbox have Camelot. And this is easier than you think. A lot of genres have similar keys...for instance, there's a lot of top 40/hip hop that's in 5A. Build a library with a huge number of tracks and this gets a lot easier. It may seem hard at first but really, with practice and time, all of this gets easier.

quote:

When I bought my S2, Traktor 3 didn't exist. Is it worth the upgrade ($49), and am I likely to have performance issues with it if I didn't have any with Traktor 2? My DJ laptop is a MacBook Air with a 1.6GHz i5 and 8GB of RAM.[/list]

I am kind of wondering if I shouldn't have gone the Traktor route at all, and instead gone with Serato or Rekordbox, the latter of which wasn't really a thing at the time, but unless it's going to be a big improvement for me, I would just as soon not invest several hundred dollars in a new controller when my S2 works fine, and I don't know which I would go for in that case anyway. My biggest complaint about Traktor 2 is that it's not possible to put the waveforms next to each other, although I know I should be working on getting to the point that I don't need them. (And effectively I don't, since they don't do me much good separated.) But it's bizarre that it's not even an option. I've also read that it's easier to search for things in your library in Serato, but maybe that's improved in Traktor 3.

This is one of those never ending discussions amongst DJs. I've been using Serato software since 2008 and I would never use any of the extra features in Traktor. Some people love Traktor. I will say this: none of the working DJs I know use Traktor. Even the two that used to use Traktor switched over to Serato DJ a couple of years ago. Use that info how you want.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 5, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

britishbornandbread posted:

Thing is, i just want a nice sidebox to drag some songs into when I'm thinking a few songs ahead. It's crazy Rekordbox doesn't have something that simple built in, unless I am missing it on the bombside that is their interface

You can do this in Serato DJ with the "Prepare" list.

https://serato.com/latest/blog/20257/how-i-use-serato-dj-prepare-w-jordan

edit: I guess your controller doesn't work with Serato DJ which is a bummer.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jul 1, 2020

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Are you married to Virtual DJ? The cheaper Pioneer rekordbox controllers aren't terrible:

https://www.pioneerdj.com/en-us/product/controller/ddj-400/black/overview/

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Serato DJ in internal mode with the Pitch N Time plugin should be able to do what you want. I think the controllers are all +8 or +16 on the pitch. Maybe the Pioneers do +50?

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
they hate us ‘cuz they ain’t us

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
I'll never understand the draw of split cue. One of my buddies always used it and it was the first thing I turned off on his mixer if we ever went b2b.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
From what I've witnessed, Stemverter is better than the Serato algorithm.

https://cfloinc.com/stemverter3/

I have heard some samples and it's really good.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Yeah, reloop is a really good option and what I was going to suggest. They have a menu of like,10 different turntables with various features and price points. Also the Pioneer PLX series is decent as well. They had two versions but not sure if the cheaper one got dropped.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002

Mister Speaker posted:

Anyway, ranting again, but is there yet a solution to this silly problem? I'm thinking of poking around in the Scarlett MixControl app but I'm pretty sure people have tried that. My only other idea is something like Soundflower to internally route audio and spoof OBS into thinking it's hearing the correct inputs. IDK if that's worked for anyone either, info is scarce - and wouldn't this also incur some sort of delay?

I think this might be what you're looking for: https://github.com/Andersama/obs-asio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
It's hard to go wrong with the JBL Eon series. They're practically designed for what you want to do and they have a battery version.

Keep in mind that the battery versions of speakers are usually smaller and won't match the SPL of an AC powered speaker.

edit: I guess also check out the IRX series, they're cheaper... I probably wouldn't go smaller than 12".

Also the cheapest best upgrade is getting stands for whatever speakers you end up buying. Getting speakers off the floor and at or above ear level makes a huge difference. Bodies are really good at absorbing sound.

TheWevel fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 22, 2024