Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

chrix posted:

To do a big megamix, we'd need someone to be able to stitch all of the pieces together and that's a pretty tall order.
Could just pass the mix around and have everyone add theirs to the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm thinking more along the lines of everyone being responsible for stitching their part onto the end of the file they received before sending it on to the next person. That way some poor guy isn't stuck having to guess how each part is supposed to mix with the previous one. You could work with the last 30-60 seconds of the previous mix in Serato then splice your part onto the main mix.

I agree that lossless would be a problem after the first few participants, so I think we'd have to use MP3. Yeah, we'd lose some quality re-encoding the mix 6-8 times, but I don't think that's a big deal for a ML collab.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

chrix posted:

:words:
Sounds good. Who wants to splice! :v:

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

:words:
I just buy the songs I want to mix. Buying whole releases when I just want a track or two would get expensive pretty quickly, and water down my library. It's up to you though. If you like the idea of buying full albums/releases, go for it.

MP3 vs WAV also comes down to personal preference. WAV files are higher quality, but most people cannot tell the difference between 320Kbps MP3s and WAVs most of the time. You're certainly not going to ruin someone's night by playing 320 MP3s instead of WAVs. Playing WAVs is slightly less CPU intensive because they don't need to be decoded before playback like MP3s, but on most computers CPU usage won't be an issue (though MP3s may still load slower). WAVs also take up much more hard disk space than MP3s, but storage is so cheap now that this isn't as big of a deal as it used to be. WAVs don't support tagging, so you'll have to rely on your DJ/Music program library to store metadata (like track, artist, bpm), and if you move to a different program (or a different computer w/o your library file) you'll have to re-enter all the info.

If you buy WAVs, you can store them as FLACs. FLAC compresses WAVs w/o any loss of quality (kind of like a ZIP file for audio). You can sometimes reduce the file size by up to 50% by using FLACs (though this is still a lot larger than an MP3). The FLAC format also supports tagging. FLACs have to be decoded like MP3s though, so you'll lose the CPU benefits of WAVs.

I personally buy WAV/FLAC when they're offered in hopes that somewhere, on some system, to some ears they'll sound or feel a little better. Another reason is I'd rather have the WAV if I ever want to do a remix or an edit. I'm crazy though. Regardless of the format I buy (WAVs/FLACs aren't always offered), I replayGain the files @ 93dB (+4dB) and store them as WAVs for DJing.

320Kbps MP3s are fine though, and probably the way to go if you aren't OCD about going lossless. High quality variable bit rate MP3s (e.g. LAME's V0 preset) should sound identical to 320s in most cases while taking up less space, but most stores don't offer tracks files in this format.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You should look for some blogs that cover the genres of music you're into. There are a lot of quality free downloads being offered these days. Bootleg edits/remixes and original tracks. Also, Soundcloud.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Twiin posted:

I'm really tempted to pick up a Traktor system so I can stop carrying so many CDs. But I don't know which I would want, the S4 hardware interface or the timecode cd/vinyl.
The S4 will support timecode at some point. It has 2 phono/line input channels to hookup turntables or CDJs, but the software doesn't support it yet. I'm guessing you'll be able to use timecode with the S4 in Tractor Scratch Pro 2.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 11, 2011

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
That's good news. The upgrade price isn't bad either.

The S4 has a grounding post. I'm running a 1200mk2 into one atm.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

melee beats posted:

Sweet, but like I said, not super practical, right?
In what way?

If you're going someplace that doesn't already have decks and a mixer, you'd bring the S4 instead of a mixer.

If you already have a nice mixer, I'd say something like an X1 and an interface would be more practical than an S4.

I don't think there's much need for timecode if you have an S4 unless you scratch. The S4's jogs are pretty good, and if you take full advantage of Traktor's sync capabilities you don't even have to use them much.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Le0 posted:

So the new Macbook Pro are on the Apple store, I guess this is more than enough to use Traktor and a S4?
Any use to get the 7400 rt/min hard drive or is that just overkill?

That'll be fine for Traktor. In general 7200 rpm is good for music software, but I think you could get by with a 5400 rpm drive with Traktor (it loads everything in RAM doesn't it?). If you do want the 7200 you could save some money by buying one separately if you don't mind installing it yourself.

I'm also looking for a laptop for the Traktor S4. I'm wondering what resolution you guys recommend. I'm wary of the 1280x800 of the 13" MacBook and MBP. I'm thinking the 1400x900 of the 13" MBAir and the 15" MBP would be a better choice, or even the 1680x1050 15" MBP. Is the MBA CPU pushing it a bit in terms of power (1.86GHz C2D)? I sometimes run Ableton at the same time as Traktor, and am worried it may sruggle with that. I pretty set on a Mac at this point since I want to get into iPhone development as well, and am not confident I'll be able to tweak a PC laptop as much as my desktop to get it to work flawlessly with my Ultralite or other picky interfaces if it has troubles out of the box. However, I'm open to PC recommendations as well. I've heard good things about ADK Pro Audio laptops.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
2 reasons I'd go with the pro over the macbook are the new macbooks don't have a firewire port and the resolution is pretty low (1280x800). I have a firewire interface, and there are a lot of interfaces out there that are firewire only.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I played around with the new Pioneer controller for a bit at Guitar Center the other day and on the whole the S4 felt like a higher quality unit. The jog wheels specifically felt MUCH better to me. Whatever NI did for the braking really does a lot to set it apart from the light, free spinning toy like feel of almost every other MIDI controller jog wheel they had at the store. The knobs on the S4 are also bigger and had a better feeling to them IMO.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Whats a good cartridge for vinyl to digital transfers? Right now I have a Ortofon Concorde Pro S. Will I get a bit more quality using something with an elliptical needle? Is the Ortofon OM Arkiv (or Concorde Arkiv I guess) ideal for this, or is it just marketing and similar quality could be attained from a cheaper cartridge?

On another note, where's a good place to buy replacement parts for 1200s (mk2 if it matters)? I'm looking for a new dust cover.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

thewaablah posted:

However if you click that 1911 button, it makes it 100x better.
This is amazing.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The upgrade e-mail was for people that bought the S4 before Traktor Pro 2 came out (it came with Traktor Pro S4). If yours came with Pro S4, the logo in the upper left should say Traktor Pro S4. If yours came with Traktor Pro 2, the logo in the upper left should say Traktor Pro (and it just says Traktor in the title bar). Are you sure that's not what you have? Go to the help menu and see if there are options for "About Traktor 2..." and "Visit Traktor 2 on the web"

Tomahawk: S4!

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Rivfader posted:

If you're going to go for an SSD definitely buy one yourself and install it, never upgrade with Apple, they unfortunately charge too much. Simply leave the basic 5400 RPM in and switch it out yourself (same goes for a normal 7200 RPM).
Apple's SSD prices are actually pretty reasonable. Upgrading to a 128GB SSD from a low end 15" is $200. That's around how much you'll have to pay to buy a similar sized SSD online. A 3rd party drive might be slightly faster than what Apple gives you, but either will be such an improvement over a mechanical drive that you're not likely to notice the difference. Upgrading through Apple also saves the hassle of installing the drive/osx as soon as it arrives, and Apple will support it if you have any issues with the drive. The SSD upgrade is only ~$100 if you get a high end 15", which is a great deal.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Anyone have any advice for dust-proofing gear for burning man (playa proofing)? I'm planning on bringing a MBP and an S4. For the MBP I'm definitely getting a hardshell case, but I think it might be a good idea to get something to cover the keyboard and maybe the trackpad and screen as well (since that's where most of the holes in the case are). Anyone have recommendations for this sort of protection?

For the S4 I have a dust cover I can throw on if a dust storm comes while I'm playing, but I don't really know if there's anything else I can or should do. Ideas?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Figure out a way to mix in the intro to Space Walk by Lemon Jelly as the sun peeks up from behind the mountains and you win.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've used both an S4 an a MixTrack Pro, and I thought the MixTrack both looked and felt much cheaper than the S4. The MixTrack will work as advertised, but I don't think it's fair to say its quality is on par with an S2/S4.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Styliferous posted:

Yeah, the unfortunate problem with searching Craigslist is that my area has nearly nothing going for DJ equipment, the last time someone posted a pair of vinyl turntables was a month and a half ago, and they were asking $900 for a pair of Technics. The closest city to me is an hour and a half away, and the nearest major one is 3+ hours on the highway.
Keep an eye out on ebay. I found a mk2 there for $250.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
You can also scratch vinyl using the S4 without the scratch upgrade, just no timecode.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If your tracks are gridded well and you add the cue point while the track is playing, the cue point will be placed right on the beat closest to where you hit the button (that's usually where you want it). Turn the snap feature on if that isn't happening (on the s4 there's a dedicated button for that. On the s2 it looks like there's a snap indicator, but I don't see a button).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 28, 2012

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

epswing posted:

Am I supposed to verify and possibly fix the beatgrid for every track I'll ever play?
If you want to take full advantage of Traktor and its features, yes. In my experience Traktor is generally pretty good with gridding, only requiring moving the start point or slightly adjusting the bpm. However, sometimes it gets it completely wrong (I see this more with hip-hop and funky breaks). In that case I use a tap tempo site to get a starting point then work from there. If a track has tempo changes or doesn't hold a constant tempo, you have to get creative with the gridding and/or turn off sync.

BTW, there's a button for doubling or halving the bpm. I find it useful for styles like DnB and Dubstep, which sometimes I'll mix to from other fast EDM styles, and other times come from hip-hoppy stuff.

epswing posted:

It seems like mixing with software (like Traktor+S2, VirtualDJ+MixtrackPro, etc) makes it really, really easy to just push buttons and blamo, you're suddenly a "DJ"...unless the beatgrid isn't perfect in which case all these 'nice' features are moot and you're exposed as a skill-less button-pusher. Seems like a pretty big crutch.
Software has definitely lowered the barrier to entry to becoming a DJ. "Learn to beatmatch" is now "learn to beatgrid". It has its pluses and minuses.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Regarding controller DJs generally being less experienced than vinyl or CD DJs, I don't buy the argument that its due to controller DJs not having to learn to beat match. Before your can beat match, you aren't going to be playing out getting experience actually DJing for people. Time spent learning to beat match is time that could have been spent working on mixing, digging for new tracks, learning which of your tracks work well together, etc. If two equally talented people start to learn to DJ at the same time, one with vinyl, the other with a controller, I think the controller DJ will have more experience with the creative aspects of DJing by the time they both have the skill to perform without trainwrecking.

I think the real reason why any given controller DJ is likely less experienced than a vinyl or CD DJ is most people learning to DJ these days start with a controller. Yes, there are some very experienced DJs that have switched to controllers, but I'd wager the vast majority of controller DJs have been DJing for less than 3 years. Its similar to how in years past if you saw a DJ with a super budget mixer and cd players, they were probably less experienced than a DJ with CDJ800s & a DJM800.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Does Traktor's new BPM and tempo detection engine support a grid that changes tempo yet?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

epswing posted:

Oh that reminds me, I've always wondered...

For a group like, say, Justice, when I go to see them "live", how much of it is just pre-programmed? Are they just hitting play and headbanging for an hour? They seem to be "doing stuff" but...what are they doing exactly?

I guess I'd have the same question after seeing Daft Punk. Amazing show, but is it just a pre-programmed set?
Daft Punk's set that debuted at Coachella '06 was prearranged with some freedom in how they used effects each show. They played basically the same set for over a year and a half (there were some minor tweaks made to the Coachella arrangement when they toured in 2007). While it was an amazing show, I have to admit I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw it after having heard the Coachella recording many times before.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
There's a headphone thread in the A/V arena that would be a good place to ask: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2387142

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Old Man Pants posted:

Traktor for iPad finally happened I'll pass personally but its kinda a neat gimmick.
I don't have an iPad, but that sounds pretty cool and is a good sign. I've always wished there was a way to leverage my Traktor beat grids to do some basic headphone-less DJing on my phone on road trips. Hopefully they have something for Android in the works.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
With enough drugs you could probably get by without any of that equipment.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

an skeleton posted:

Also, is it ever a problem finding a sick track but there is absolutely nowhere to buy it?
Yes. If you're listening to promo DJ mixes or live sets often times some of the tracks are unreleased. Most of the time those tracks are eventually released, but sometimes they aren't.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Foobar2000 can do that on Windows.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Asked this in the Mac thread, but probably better here: Anyone have recommendations for a laptop stand for a 15" MBP that is sturdy, height adjustable and rugged enough to survive some travel/gigs?

I've been looking at the Crane Stand Pro/Plus or various Odyssey models. Anyone have experience with these?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Crane Stand it is. Anyone know if there's much of a difference in quality between the Pro and Plus besides the interface tray on the Pro?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I think all the connectors inside the CH1-4 boxes are inputs into the Pioneer. I don't think you can use any of those connectors to output audio like you have diagrammed with CH3 and the red cable. The only ports that output audio are the Main Outs and Booth Out.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm not 100% clear on what you're trying to do, but I think there's 2 approaches you can take:

a) Route Live into one of the Pioneer channels using the line out from your computer into one of the channel inputs on the Pioneer. Connect your speakers to one of the Pioneer's output channels. With this approach, you should be able to cue and mix sounds from Live using the DDJ-SX alongside any tracks you play from the DDJ-SX software (Serato?). The DDJ-SX software should have the ability to record whatever you're hearing from the speakers (which will be a combo of what you're doing in Live & the DJ software).

b) Route the output of the Pioneer to the line in on your computer. Connect your speakers to your computer. Route the signal from the Pioneer to a track in Live. From Live you can then trigger additional sounds on other tracks, and/or process whatever sound you're receiving from the Pioneer before it gets routed to the speakers. All of this can be recorded in Live. With this approach, you'd only be able to cue the tracks triggered in the DDJ-SX software from the headphone jack on the DDJ-SX.

BTW, if you're using the onboard sound card on the computer rather than an audio interface, you may encounter some noticeable latency with either of these setups.

With approach a, you could potentially use a master out to route what you hear back to Live (via the computer's line in), but latency would probably be too high to make this useful for anything besides recording the Pioneer's output with no additional processing (in which case you may as well skip this step and record from the DDJ-SX's software).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

cname posted:

Yea, gonna just stick with option A. My crazy dream idea basically revolved around an old software for Scratch Live called "Bridge" or something which turned the APC into a MIDI for SL. (I think)
The Bridge lets you load Live sets into decks in SSL (which you can then control with your APC) and save SSL performances into a Live set which you can then edit and add on to in Live, all without having to do any external cable routing. But it doesn't work with Serato DJ (yet).

And yeah, like TheWevel said, is there any reason you can't use Serato DJ for looping? If you can get that to work for you, I think it'll be a much smoother workflow than running Live at the same time.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I use Traktor, so I can't help you there.

One thing to consider: if you go with the setup where you route the audio from Live out of the computer into an input on your controller, SDJ's and Live's clock will not be in sync. If you trigger a loop in Live in time with what you're hearing from the speakers, the loop will not be in sync with the tracks you're playing in SDJ by the time in reaches the speakers (due to latency).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
How does that help with looking at the crowd more? It seems like it would just replace looking at a laptop with looking down at the controller's screens.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What about the Bones from TV? You're the Bones from TV, right??

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I almost never use the crossfader unless I'm attempting to scratch (poorly). Upfaders all the way even when I'm doing quick mixes. Rotary is similar to mixing with the upfaders. If you're not down with upfader mixing, I imagine you'll have a bad time with a rotary mixer.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
What are some recommended entry level DJ controllers with a built in soundcard these days? A buddy of mine with no other music hardware is looking for something to get started with, but I'm out of the game when it comes to current options. It seems like the DDJ-400 would be a solid choice that checks all the boxes @ ~$250, but is there anything else to consider?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah I'm thinking the DDJ-400 is probably the way to go, as I think the significantly lower price over an S2 will be a more important "feature" than converters and build quality for him at this point. I'm actually still rocking a 10+ year old S4 mk1 (and Traktor 2 for that matter) because it's continued to "just work", so I appreciate Traktor (am a little peeved NI can't be bothered to update their Mac drivers to support newer OS versions so this will become a paperweight if I ever get a new Mac laptop though), but I think at this point he's just looking for something as cheap as possible to see if this is something he wants to get into (at which point he'll have a better idea of what features he cares about before buying something better).