Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
what the gently caress are you supposed to do with your hands in a tech house set? you can't really mix two songs without it sounding like loving garbage, which is fine and all but you generally have to play almost the entire 8 minute long song and it gets super boring just standing there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

I'm assuming this is what's driving "innovation" behind all the stupid effects and color buttons on those horrible mixers

hey the effects are super useful if you know when to use them! which is never with tech house because it's all about subtlety and slow buildups

and coloured LEDs are never a bad thing when it comes to raves/rave music

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Lmfao.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
His shambhala mixes from 2009-2013 are classic and full of songs that will make hoodie dudes all misty eyed with memories. Do not listen to any more recent ones, they're very very bad

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Having stood 5 feet behind excision when he played at shamb last year he's definitely doing it all live

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Crime on a Dime posted:

The song choice doesn't seem relevant, they're all cookie cutter awfulness

Dubstep has gotten way worse over the past few years and consequently so has excision but he is still a really skilled DJ. It's a shame that he plays exclusively like riddim now because he used to break up the brostep into manageable chunks

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
If you can afford it I would definitely try and snipe a cheap S5 off eBay, it's super powerful

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Good

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Is there a service or person I can pay to make my music library not an absolute disaster and put genres and energy levels on things

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
It’s only like 300 songs. I will literally pay you, noble gentlegoon reader, to do it

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Rave Matthews Band

(jk that's Pendulum)

Lol

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Get a simple midi controller and ableton and you’re set. If you really want to spend money you can get a Push but I would practice and get yourself familiar with production and the style in which you work, then you’ll be able to get gear that matches your needs.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Use rekordbox or serato only, they’re the industry standards. Nobody uses anything else except for some psychopaths (like me) who still use Traktor.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
is it kosher to post a mix in here for critique? it's 2 hours long, lol!!!!!!!

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

vanilla slimfast posted:

There’s a DJ mixes thread you could post it in. Hasn’t been active in some time tho

e: lol last post was 3 years ago https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3049995&perpage=40&pagenumber=76

Don’t worry, upon listening to it a few more times I’m deeply unhappy with it, and myself,

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
What kind of music are you playing? Are you planning on playing out or just playing at home and making recordings? Actual dollars for your budget would be helpful because intermediate can mean a lot of things. Functional DJ gear runs from very cheap to ludicrously expensive but it’s all the same poo poo deep down

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Splinter posted:

What are some recommended entry level DJ controllers with a built in soundcard these days? A buddy of mine with no other music hardware is looking for something to get started with, but I'm out of the game when it comes to current options. It seems like the DDJ-400 would be a solid choice that checks all the boxes @ ~$250, but is there anything else to consider?

That’s a very solid choice yeah, especially if he’s eventually going to play on cdjs.

Other options are:

NI kontrol s2/s4, a more luxurious experience but you have to use Traktor which may not fit well with future plans
Numark platinum fx, lots of features, uses serato which is pretty similar to rekordbox (what he’ll probably eventually use if he plays live), expensive for being a numark
Roland 202, don’t know poo poo about this but it does come with some cool emulators so if he’s doing live looping it could be interesting

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Nobody watches streams or virtual events, so there’s your problem

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
You can pry my discontinued and extremely unpopular Kontrol S5 from my cold, dead, never beatmatching hands

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

So my first gig is coming up in a week and I'm real loving nervous and feeling unprepared. Venue is a high ceiling bar/pub with a stage, event is a queer dance party fundraising for trans healthcare and I'm up first at 8 for 90 minutes then another DJ takes over 9:30-12. I play open format, mostly mainstream dance, house and hip hop.
Part of it is I haven't made a setlist before, when I stream it's all improvisational just looking at what Rekordbox says is in key and I use sync liberally because I don't trust the pitch faders on my DDJ-RB for poo poo.

You’re fine. You’re likely going to play to an empty room. Just go and play songs you like, and try to keep it medium-low energy.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
I’ve tried basically every vocal extractor and they all top out at “almost passable in a mix for a short period of time” as an absolute best case scenario

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
I hate that dirtyphonics song lol. The tempo transition with the cool musical theory stuff on the second drop just sounds like a dj train wrecking a mix!

E: actually I like the part that’s a house version of polygon. It’s just that awful second drop completely kills the song for me

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
I avoid transition tracks as a rule because Traktor is a piece of poo poo that can’t handle dynamic beat grids and that’s what I practice on but I do have this one sitting in my library taking up space. Mid energy house to 7/10 energy dnb.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnB/comments/10gq0q/julio_bashmore_battle_for_middle_you_the_funk/

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Bass House is relatively recent stuff. Probably became a “thing” in like 2016. Start with old ac slater, tchami, jack beats, joyryde. Night bass has had a weeklyish show for the entire time. Theyre probably the most recognizable bass house label. Listening to a few of those from different years will give you some history too.

E: be aware that bass house has an atrocious noise to signal ratio. Be prepared to hear some garbage

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Dec 11, 2022

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

If U like Bass House U might also enjoy this thing that's been around for a long time called Breaks. Unless you're married to the four-on-the-floor kick rhythm, there are lots of Breakbeat tunes you'd probably really dig; the genre carries a similar sound palette and clearly had a strong influence on lots of Bass House artists. Great for spicing up a set that's mostly House tunes.

Check out Stanton Warriors, Left/Right, Nixon, Colombo, Nikki Nair, Uberzone, or any of the Hot Cakes mixes by Deekline.

i love breaks but people just get turned off by/don't know how to dance to anything that isn't a 4 on the floor or maybe a 2-step. you can see their brains melt in real time

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Happy hardcore is coming back baby

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

It's mostly recorded feedback fed through a datamosh program (dd_glitchassist) and composited in Resolume. I'm glad you liked the visuals, I haven't been focused on them as much while I try to get good at DJing.
Speaking of: how do yall take a mix and polish it up? I tried doing another live take at that mix to fix some of the more glaring errors and it somehow turned out worse, or at least not better. I rushed mixes that I thought I nailed before, dropped in weird spots, scratched with the crossfader open. Then I tried another couple times to retake it offline and I kept scrapping it partway through. Is there a note taking system people use?

The secret is to record it in ableton

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
The DJM EQs are heinous! You don’t need a Xone/4 band EQ to do long harmonious blends but using software that lets you set sensible EQ curves is a huge deal IMO.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Learning to pick the right phrase of a song to mix in and out of is IMO first something you gain from knowing your songs really really well(eg “ok, the high hats come in here” or whatever) and then with practice you can guess with like 90% accuracy based on subtle cues in the song and DJ Superpowers

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

w4ddl3d33 posted:

i have no idea if this is the right thread, but i'm a complete novice - never mixed or produced anything that wasn't harsh noise, and that requires no skill at all. i really, really want to get a mixing deck so i can play around with techno, but i want some recommendations from actual real people and not sponsored top ten lists on google. what would be a good, reasonably priced mixing deck for a TOTAL beginner?

it basically hinges on whether you want to just dick around in your bedroom or want to play for other people eventually.

if the former, the three major ecosystems are rekordbox, serato, and traktor. iirc all are available for free trials, so your best bet is to try them all (just using a mouse and keyboard) and find out which has the most comfortable ui, then buy an entry level controller for that program.

if you want to play out at any level above event small enough that you can bring a controller, youre stuck using rekordbox for better or for worse. it's probably prudent to learn it and become a slave to the pioneer ecosystem so you don't have to learn cdjs in a rushed two hour session before your first gig(s), trust me from experience. in that case you're stuck with a pioneer controller

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

w4ddl3d33 posted:

reasonably priced for me is no more than £200. i've had the pioneer dj-flx4 recommended to me before, so that's very high up on my list. rekordbox is a little bit terrifying to me - so many buttons! - but one of my close friends is a dj who hasn't been able to get any gigs because he refuses to use it, so if you can't beat em join em etc etc etc. thank you all for the advice!

another thing - other than a mixing board and software that won't alienate me from my local scene, is there anything else you'd consider absolutely essential for a home setup? any specific headphones? should i just cave in and buy a maschine plus so i can pretend to be fred again? i have a yamaha shs-10 so should i ever need a sampling keyboard i think i'm good, but if anybody wants to disagree with me they can go right ahead. please read that as a brag about my vintage instruments

if you are on a budget do not buy a maschine plus lol. if you already produce music at a level where you would feel comfortable playing it live then mayyyybbeee think of incorporating live poo poo to your djing. for now your best bet is to focus on getting familiar just djing.

you can do it with just your computer and literally any headphones or speakers at all, add a controller to that and you're good for a while until you get used to djing. you will probably make rapid progress at the start but it takes a long time to get live-ready (depending on the quality of your local scene).

youre mostly concerned with song structure and phrasing at the beginning so it doesnt matter how good it sounds(audio fidelty wise. it is very important to have decent sounding music as a dj). if you decide you like djing and want to do more, then you can impulse buy some headphones in the 150-200 dollar range. buy the sennheiser hd 25 or similar popular dj headphones.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Do not let mixed in key set your cue points. it’s unbelievably bad at that. It’s literally worse than no cues.

Idk what kind of dedication you have to djing but upgrading to 3000s seems like an extremely drastic step. Focus on your phrasing and trying not to look at the screen. Count to four eight times or count to 32, starting on the one. Do this over and over. Eventually you’ll be able to guess which beat you’re on in a 32 beat phrase just by subtle cues in the drums or w/e. After that it will be natural to maintain good phrasing.

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 22, 2023

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Yeah Don’t start with 600 tracks lol. Start with like 50 and add to your collection 10 or so at a time

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Not gonna recommend a song because that’s up to personal taste but to mix out I would put a 16 beat loop around the 4:30 mark, cut low end slowly, bring in low end from new track slowly, bring high and mid in on track 2 to full by 32 bars before drop, cover up imperfections with delay or reverb or filter on track 1, after drop keep loop going and slowly fade out before hi hats come in on track 2

E: the same 16 beat loop in the middle of the build is also a decent place for a tempo change if you’re feeling spicy

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
My kontrol s5 has a pitch knob and it sometimes comes in handy

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

Yeah but it's stepped by semitones, is it not?

By default yeah

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Just keep counting (1,2,3,4 2,2,3,4 3,2,3,4 etc) and eventually you’ll know where you are in the 8 bar phrase without really trying

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
What I found really helped me to get in the groove/feeling of phrasing and all that jazz was to do insane vocalization of the music a la Glenn Gould (timestamp in the video). DJing is great because it's all about feeling - do whatever works to get you REALLY into what you're playing and your brain will help you fill in the gaps. Never, ever do this when playing out, unless your DJ persona is "savant"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPZ-xNjzfLI&t=130s

e: Idk how best to put it into words, but you can also think of phrasing as eliminating where you aren't. You probably already implicitly understand where the "one" is in a phrase. An easy next step is to find the "five" and internalize the timing/sound/feel of that part of the phrase. Once you've done that, you can work on the 3 and the 7, then to the rest etc. Use the chunking power of your brain to break up each phrase into constituent parts.

abuse culture. fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 22, 2023

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
you can also abuse the hell out of the beatjump feature to force fix your phrasing. this is what keeps me stuck to traktor!!! 2000NXS only have up to 2 bar beatjumps!!!!! What is this, 2015?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
unless you have an urge to do scratch routines i don't know if you can justify 1000+ dollars on a turntable