Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
That Stanton is so ugly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Sharzak posted:

Hopefully this question makes sense--

What's the easiest way to line up breakdowns and stuff ahead of time? Like if I want the crash/buildup/whatever that signifies the beginning of the outro of track A to sync up with the crash/buildup that signifies the end of the intro to track B, do I just have to eyeball it and use my platters to adjust or is there some Weird Trick to getting them to sound right?

Platters/eyeballing/weird trick is manual beat matching, but if the rest of your track is gridded it shouldn't drift or anything. Or do you mean songs that are different tempos?
Stuff like that usually starts on phrase so it's just timing.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Anyone have much experience mixing with an isolator or rotary mixers? The new Rane looks beautiful and from what I've read and heard it seems like it would suit my style really well. I know Mr Saturday Night swears by them for their parties as well as some older DJs.
It wouldn't be terribly practical for me since no venue or person (as far as I know) has one in this city but I'm really intrigued. The Xone DB2 I have has an isolator mode but it really just increases the DB range of the EQs.
I'm just curious what DJs have to say about them.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

bad day posted:

Looks like rotary mixers don't have a crossfader? I suppose if you are mixing longish techno/house/edm tracks or not concerned about beat-matching/mixing and just playing songs they are a good option, but I do a lot of blends and switch up records fairly quickly so lack of a crossfader is a deal killer for me.

What's the big deal about an isolator on each track? Isn't this exactly the same as the cue function? Almost every mixer already has that.

Anyway these things sure do look cool but just wouldn't work for me.

I always have the cross fader turned off and prefer to use my channel faders. Most of the DJs I know are the same but we all play house and techno.

My understanding of an isolator is along with mixing tracks its like another EQ band for the master that helps you colour your bands for more effect and emphasis. So you'll have long blends and you're "riding" the different bands to bring out the mix more. Also the EQs on a rotary have a deeper db range to compliment that and are mostly analogue/a very solid build quality so that makes them appealing to a lot of people.

Only thing is lots of DJs are better off or prefer to leave the dials and filters alone and let the tracks play as they were recorded so I can see that its not for everyone but people bring them up a lot especially house DJs so I'd love to hear from somebody who has played a lot with both types of mixer.

I like a lot of head room and touch my EQs and filters a lot so this sounds right up my ally but they are very expensive.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jul 29, 2015

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I usually manage the DJs at my events because I like wires and plugging stuff in and for the most part everyone is good about metering. If someone pushes into the red I can hear it right away and go over and turn the gain down and they will just apologize and not do it again. Two tracks metering together at +6 (at peak, maybe +3 is better) on the master is fine and sometimes I have to tell people its OK to turn it up a little. I always just tell DJs who haven't played with us before to watch their gains before we start.

We also only use Allen and Heath, I know Pioneer is standard but I find it much harder to work with their mixers. I just don't understand how you can smash your sound into red and not realize it. We generally have the sound plugged right into the mixer because we host in places that aren't actual venues so there is no outboard with a limiter or anything and you can tell right away if its clipping. I think a lot of DJs just don't realize how badly it fucks your sound up.

When we do play at venues I guess the sound dude catches it or whatever or maybe people just have respect for expensive sound systems. Also people don't always seem to realize you don't need to sit in yellow the whole time and you can bring your volume up and down and work your mix.

So yeah I don't even think its drunk DJs a lot of the time but just people not really understanding how the vu and headroom and clipping works.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 29, 2015

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Isn't it more of a pain in the rear end to set up your laptop though? That's probably the biggest reason why I like CDJs over Traktor.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

aeglus posted:

Not having to lug around your laptop or worry about losing anything important when drunk is very nice though.

Yeah that's what I meant. Also space can be awkward sometimes.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

revmoo posted:

My Traktor Audio 6 poo poo the bed this weekend. I've tried multiple computers, multiple USB ports, Windows 7, Windows 8, different cables, etc etc etc. The unit lights up when I plug it into a USB port, but all I get is a blinking 'USB' light on the box, the PC never detects it. I've tried everything I can think of and it definitely looks like the hardware has failed.

I'm out of warranty by a good year and a half, has anybody had good luck getting Native Instruments to replace hardware out of warranty? It is going to suck if I have to spend $250 to buy another unit. I'd switch to Serato just out of anger but I already have a NI controller so I'd be literally replacing my entire setup.

I doubt they would replace it but you can probably find a used audio 6 for less than $200 on craigslist. Or you can look into a focusrite or something cheaper. Maybe go to your local music store and ask them if they can do repairs or at least tell you whats wrong with it?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

revmoo posted:

Wait, third party interfaces can work with traktor and timecode records?

EDIT: No they can't.

I think I'm just going to pick up a mixer that supports Traktor. I really don't feel like giving money to NI again after this $300 unit lasted all of 2.5 years.

I have some friends who use third party for Traktor but none of them use time code, just controllers.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Isn't cue 1 by default the start of the track?

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
Ah yeah I don't use my cue or cup much on my X1 just toggle between the 4 points unless I'm beatmatching something manually and need a different point in the track.
You could always custom bind something like shift+4.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Watching these videos in contrast I literally burst out laughing after putting on the Sinden one then fast forwarding halfway through the Mix Master Mike.

To be honest I'm not on board with this sampling/stems/beat juggling business and I think these companies should stop trying to reinvent the wheel. Lots of people have issues playing two tracks together now I'm gonna hear random out of place sounds and efx. If you wanna do a "live" setup there are lots of ways to do that already, but now people are going to think they aren't poo poo unless they are slamming stems together.
But that's a whole other conversation I guess and I'm sure lots of people out there will disagree, although even in the professional world, that Sinden vs Mix Master Mike video is a pretty good example why this format sucks.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Alfajor posted:

Speaking of broken, my DDJ-SR started having some weird issue with one of the channel upfaders. Best I can describe is: when upfader is at 100%, the sound sometimes comes out at 60~70% volume. A tiny wiggle of it will set the volume to 100%. This is loving awkward, and it first started happening in the middle of a gig last weekend. At first, I thought the venue was turning the volume down, but then I noticed, and just kept a close ear to any time I brought a song into that channel. Since the DDJ-SR is a 2 channel mixer, this was often.... anyway.

I took a video now to better convey the issue: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3CbHnGpcMk

Any ideas? It really kills the mood when the volume suddenly dips :(

Had that issue along with other similar issues with some of my other controllers, my traktor s4 was practically unusable by the time I got something new. Mostly stayed at home too. Seconding that you get it serviced.

Also worth noting that my problem went from "I can deal with this" to "I can't use this" over the course of time...

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Dubstep Jesus posted:

I'm considering getting an FX pedal to use as an FX unit since the dedicated FX units really have way more than I would ever use. I was thinking the Boss RE-20 which is a recreation of the Roland Space Echo Pedal.

Am I an idiot for thinking this would work?

If you are producing or playing live this is a pretty normal thing. Check out the Eventide H9, analog guitar pedals. Zoom G3 for a cheap all in one.
If you are DJing the mixer's, Ableton's and even Traktor's built in effects should do this well enough. Are you trying to do something specific? Too much effects can ruin a mix, plus routing will be kind of a pain in the rear end.

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY

Dessert Rose posted:

PSA: New versions of Traktor will occasionally accumulate a bunch of errors in the audio buffer (or something, who the gently caress knows) and after playing for an hour you'll notice some super grainy distortion out of your audio interfaces. (Headphones and master out both for me.) Over time it just gets worse and worse.

Restarting Traktor fixes it, but it really hosed me over for a gig I recently played (first paid gig in a year. Of course.) - sitting up there with 10 min left in my set and basically playing music through a bit crusher, trying to decide if restarting is worse than what's going on now. Luckily the guy I was opening for showed up early and I handed off to him asap.

I hear from friends that this problem can be fixed live by going into the audio settings and changing the sample rate (thus reinitializing the buffer) but I haven't tested it yet myself. Maybe I'll get a chance to test it at the party I'm playing tomorrow!

Pro audio software, everyone. :sigh:

On the upside, I had a paid gig a couple weeks ago! It was awesome!

Nice this has happened to two friends of mine. One was during a gig between 12-1 AM, I was expecting to never throw a party at the venue again because the staff were panicking thinking there was something wrong with the funktion ones. I figured it was something to do with the buffer, nothing we tried has fixed it. We all just use CDJs now so its whatever but really really annoying. I wonder what the issue actually is.

Firaga fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 6, 2016

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I have an old 2009 white macbook running snow leopard that I use just for running Traktor at home since I don't actually own CDJs and I never have any issues with it, all the problems my friends have had were with newer versions of OSX so I feel like it might have something to do with Apple rather than NI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firaga
Jan 4, 2005
WHAT YOU SAY
I've seen that floating around the internet but I juuust noticed that drum sequencer. No idea what's going on there.