Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Have fun, and congrats

BTW, as long as you can beatmatch you are better than 90% of the DJs i have seen at the "big" or superclubs

Assuming you are opening dont play any bangers (or whatever you want to call them), just set the mood for the opener..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

dont eat a carb posted:

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on mixing hip hop and grime?

I'm pretty new, and I've been trying to do a grime tenminmix. Problem is, the tracks I want to use have very, very few if not no points in time where the beat doesn't have vocals over it, so in/out loops are quite difficult, and the songs are in general quite busy, making slower EQ3 based transitions sound like poo poo most of the time. Mixing hip hop is obviously a completely different beast from trance or house, and I'm not sure where to start. I've been toying with hotcue juggling using a music game controller, which is one way to do things, but even then it still often feels messy and noisy. I have basically flawless buttonmashing rhythm/timing from over a decade of playing music games, but I am still struggling to learn how to pick the right hotcues to blend things smoothly.

I'd check out the essential mix by Brodinski, there is some hip hop in the first 30 minutes or so that is well mixed.

In terms of grime I cant help you there. Never understood that genre.

quote:

Also, I have a few ideas for longer trancier mixes I've been playing with, but the way I want to do them involves each track being 3-5bpm faster than the next one, but everything lends itself to really gradual transitions. If I was doing it in ableton, I'd set the BPM to move up by 5bpm over the course of the entire song, which is unnoticeable, but I can't really do that live. What's a good way to handle gradually raising or lowering BPM over the course of a set without doing any cut transitions when working with faders live? Sometimes the songs have little drop points where I can do it unnoticed, but when they don't it's either really obvious or i'm using both hands to slide the pitch as slow as possible over the course of a minute and can't do much else.

Are you using CDJs? Hit the master tempo button to lock the pitch. Just gradually raise and lower the BPMs so they match. Usually meeting halfway is best.

No one will be able to tell that you raised the BPM by 2 or 3 over the course of 30 seconds. Raise the first track 2.5 and lower the second 2.5.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
If anyone in the bay area is looking to buy 2xCDJ-200's and a numark dxm09 w/ a cofin in perfecting working condition send me a PM. They are really cheap, but I want to sell it as a package hopefully ($600). Also has to be local which is why I'm not posting this in SA mart.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

mstrkrft posted:

gently caress, too bad you're not in Canada :( I'd snag that up without a moments hesitation. Good luck selling!

I'd have no problem shipping it but I have no idea how much it would cost to ship all 80 pounds of it or however much it weighs, especially internationally. I guess if you wouldn't mind paying the shipping then I wouldn't mind doing it, although I don't know if it would still be a good deal at that point.

e: also there's no way for you to try them out and I'd hate to sell someone some gear they find out they don't like (to each his own)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

gr0g posted:

Hey guys, I got a bit of a mix of a set up. S4 with laptop, plus cdj1000's and djm 800 + audio8 soundcard and x1, altho audio8 came with this gear but not with timecode cd's or software.

What I want to know is if i get an S4 scratch upgrade kit, will this also work seperately with the Audio8? or can I only use the Audio8 with Scratch Pro 2 (Meaning I would need both the upgrade kit and tsp2)

This is so I can use both set ups at home, but also use just a laptop + audio8 outside.

Can you clarify this? What exactly are you trying to do (what is the routing)?

That is a lot of expensive hardware you got there, don't they come with manuals?

From what I've read it sounds like the Audio8 is unnecessary with S4. Why do you have it? For use with your laptop?

Also what "gear" did your audio 8 come with :confused:

does this help? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr6lFLMDE7E

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I've seen top bills djing without headphones. For example, le castle vania at I think spookfest 2010 in SF (cant remember for sure), played his entire 1 hour set without headphones. I was there for the guy after (I think, long time ago). He had a really good timeslot too. His songs also sucked.

Pretty sure it was prerecorded. I was with people who don't go to EDM events often and they were asking me if it was normal for the DJ to not use headphones.

88h88 posted:

So I know trainwrecking is a bad thing but are there any audio examples of particularly lovely mixing? I mean what's the threshold on what's just poor and what's actually "oh gently caress, my ears!"??

I've always wondered this.

Check out any Oakenfold live mixes from mid 2000ish onward. I remember his set at EDC 07/08 had me rolling around laughing it was so loving terrible.

Occasionally someone new will post a mix in the mix thread that is really terrible. Sometimes they are just new and it's fine, whatever, everyone starts somewhere! Additionally, a large majority of mixes posted on reddit/r/mixes are really bad

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 20, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Vidmaster posted:

Thanks for this, I'm checking out a few of them now!

D2Techno on soundcloud posts (hundreds?) of livesets if you're into techno and associated genres. You might have to go through a few pages since they also post a lot of radio shows.

soundcloud.com/d2techno

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Darkstitch posted:

So DJ'ing.

Ugh I want to actually make my own music and just get a bunch of synths and just create some crazy poo poo.

Virtual DJ will have to suffice for now I guess lol.

I do mostly electro. Like hard electro mixed with some but very little trance. Usually the only trance I play are songs well known like Escape (I have a sweet electro version) or Better Off Alone, and kill me now I'm getting into Skrillex. Oh and Deadmau5. It hurts to play Deadmau5 but most people don't know this kinky Mellefresh song is Deadmau5 so I let it slide. Heh.

Anyways here's me hustling my mix again. I usually hustle outside 7/11 handing out cd's with my girlfriend so we make enough to buy two lokos and a pack of cigs whenever we go down that road. >.>

Here enjoy.

So... you're selling your mix or giving it away for free?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Penguinone posted:

Any of you guys dj in the Detroit metro/Ann Arbor area? Starting to look around for a wedding in December.

I used to maintain a list in the DJ mix thread, and there were no goons who said they were from the Detroit area.

I would keep in mind there is a difference from a "wedding dj" and what most people consider to be "djs" (majority play EDM)

I guess if you're down for some dark techno beats or 160 BPM hardstyle for your wedding you're in the right place...

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

epswing posted:

Am I supposed to verify and possibly fix the beatgrid for every track I'll ever play?

Cue the track and make sure it's accurate, and if it's not you're going to have to do it manually, which is why you shouldn't use syncing functions unless you know how to beatmatch manually (it seems you do though!)

Syncing is nice and all, but by the very nature of music it's not going to be accurate all the time.

Also I was going to add what Vanilla Slimfast said above, but he beat me to it...

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

OG KUSH BLUNTS posted:

Yea, I'm done with this thread. Apparently saying anything that might upset controller DJs leads to a massive influx of poo poo posting.

You're posting on somethingawful and you literally said "all controller DJs are lovely" and "gently caress Club Controller DJs". You started this shitstorm, don't pretend it's not your fault.

What you said was just as loving retarded as ye' olde CD vs Vinyl debates

Muck and Mire posted:

I'm addressing the guy ITT who is pining for "the old class of DJs." Which parties are you going to in SF, btw? I see plenty of controllers here, I know plenty of people who use them, and I've never noticed a difference between the two groups.

Have we met?? What clubs do you typically go to in SF? :)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

JohnnyMondo posted:

What a creep!

But for real, are there any good regular Techno / Tech-house nights in the bay area? I go to a lot of "headliner" DJ shows at places like Public Works, 1015 Folsom, Mezzanine, Mighty, but I'm looking for like a monthly or something with local DJs.

Weekly @ Vessel for techno. Really, the only local dj only events I know of are the stuff Taj throws "Local Love". I think you can find those http://www.djtaj.com/

I don't think they really do techno/tech house. Vessel sounds like it would be perfect for you, they usually have local openers, and it's never expensive.

It's small though - maybe 200-300 max.

It seems like vessel's lineup doesnt really have much coming up, though.

e: another club is Monarch, it's new (remodeled), fairly young, friendly crowd. Mid-20s... They play techno/minimal/tech house type stuff. I've only been there once, I believe tiefschwarz is playing soon, though? It's even smaller than vessel

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 3, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

epswing posted:

I don't think the argument was about "this medium is better than that medium" but more of an observation that "the barrier to entry for medium X is quite low, which leads to ignorance, and a larger number of folks who have worked a smaller number of hours because it's arguably easier to learn than medium Y"

I think the frustration of the medium Y folks stems from this growing desire for instant gratification, which is increasingly more common among young whippersnappers. The kid who sets her controller on top of a pair of 1200s is just used to getting what she wants when she wants it, so "I want to mix tracks right now oh hay push buttan" is coming from the same place as "I need a table for this right now oh hay turntables".

There have been lovely DJs since turntables. It's nothing new with controllers. People were literally using this same argument years ago: that CDJs were easier to use than turntables and was making things worse. And now that same argument is being recycled and used here.

The whole idea that the equipment you're using has any sort of connection to who you are/your skills is so ridiculous I wish it would stop being brought up. It's not any easier to be a great DJ now than it was 5 years ago, and the only difference now is its marginally easier to not trainwreck every transition.

People who aren't going to put effort into DJing will always not put effort into it - vinyl, controller, CDs. Bad DJs are bad DJs. The lack of a sync button never stopped Captain Douchebag from "DJing" and the presence of it now doesn't make any difference to him now. He's still going to play his bad songs in no intelligible order, only this time the crowd won't have to endure as many trainwrecks.

Technology changes, people don't. Lots of people on this planet are terrible by nature, it's an unfortunate fact of life. Just enjoy the artists and DJs that know what they are doing, and ignore the rest. Music should be fun, don't stress when Captain Douchebag plays 3 Guetta tracks in a row, just walk away.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

keevo posted:

The exception being DJ Vice.

Also the Great DJ Luxor. Not to mention Pauly D

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Apr 30, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

fordan posted:

A DJ on another forum I'm on apparently got asked why he didn't include Levels in a megamix he did. So he did a new mix, here's the track list:

Seinfeld - I'm Building Levels
Levels Avicii
Calling vs. Levels (Shaltielo Mashup) Sebastien Ingrosso Ft. Alesso
Good Levels Feeling (Massivedrum vs ''sickindividuals Remix'' Bootleg) Flo-Rida vs Avicii
Levels ( US DRM Edit ) Avicii/www.djrobsonmichel.com
Levels (Alex Ramos 2012 Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Allan Abdalla Remix 2012) Avicii
Levels Right On Time (Bkg Bootleg) Avicii vs. Syndicate Of Law
Avicii - Levels (Saradis Christmas Feeling Edit) Avicii
Levels (Sergi Moreno & Sack Muller Remix) Avicii
Levels Trackster (Rave Radio Bootleg) Avicii vs Miles Dyson
Best Of Levels (David Puentez Mash Bootique 2012) Avicii
Levels (John von Wh1te Mashup) Peter Luts vs. Avicii
Drifting Levels (Rudedog vs Felix Leiter Bootleg) Avicii vs Rudedog
DYNAMITE LEVELS (((POWER HOUR MASH-MIX))) Taio Cruz/Avicii/DJ DEVILLE
Hello Loca Levels vs. Lunar (Andrew G Monster Mashup) Avicii vs. D. Guetta & Afrojack vs. Sak Noel
Flash Levels (Marco Zanfardino 2012 ReDUB) Avicii & Clockwork vs Green Velvet & Nicky Romero vs A.M.R
Good Feeling (Levels Version) (Dark Intensity Remix) Flo Rida feat. Avicii
Good Feelin' Levels (Cloud Epic Rework Mashup) Avicii vs Flo Rida
Levels (Blaster & Smyle Remix) Avicii
Levels (Danilo Costa Instrumental Cover Edit) Avicii
Levels (Dirty Freek Remix) Avicii
I Just Wanna gently caress vs. Levels (Shaltielo Mashup) Avicii & Baltimore Club
Levels (Exclusive House Rework) DJ BeatBreaker / DJMAKJ / Avicii
Levels (Felix Leiter's Digital Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Funk D Bootleg) Avicii
Levels (Good Feeling) (Gordon & Doyle Mashup) Avicii feat. Flo Rida
Levels (Hardwell Next Levels Bootleg) Avicii
Stereo Levels ( Chuckie Mash Up DRM ) Avicii
Sunshine Levels (Sndrz Bootleg) Avicii & David Guetta
Super Bass (Delirious Levels Mix) Clean DJ Delirious
Levels (Jao Miranda Version) Avicii
Levels (Jason Alamo Best Of Bootleg) Avicii, Hardwell, Skrillex, Cazzette, Clockwork
Levels (Kingz Dutch Anthem) Anthem Kingz
DWhere Them Levels At (Djs From Mars Mashup) David Guetta vs. Avicii
Levels (Matt Cox Remix) Aviici
Levels (Melody Crew Remix Edit) Avicii
Levels (Olav Basoski's Sunday Morning Mix) Avicii
Levels (Phillipe Boulevard Remix) Avicii Ft. Etta James
Levels (Rafa Carneiro Boom Edit 2012) Avicii
Levels (The Moogs Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tocadisco Mix) Avicii
Levels vs Levels 'clockwork Remix' (Del Pello Mashup) Avicii vs Etta Jones
Next Levels (TheFatRat Remix) Avicii
Show Me Levels (Michael B. & Denny Delano Bootleg) Steve Angello vs. Avicii
Give Me All Your Levels (Toy Armada Da Vicii Mash Up) Madonna vs. Avicii
Levels (E-Thunder Private) Avicii
Levels (Marlo Bootleg Remix) Avicii
Levels (Inexus Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tyr Remix) Avicii
Levels (Skrillex Remix) Avicii
Levels (Tiagoleiria 88bpm Remix) Avicii

You cant drop something this amazing without a link

keevo posted:

It's definitely safe to say that David Guetta does his stuff live. Check out his really amazing five minute long build up of Levels he managed to use with that new Pioneer effects box.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LQ5zLdLSAFQ#t=615s

http://youtu.be/LkERt-geXfg

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 18:03 on May 11, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Sjoewe posted:

Or prepare some edits yourself.

Going to second this

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
There was a special on the BBC, "The Story of Richie Hawtin"

http://soundcloud.com/bbcradio1/the-story-of-richie-hawtin

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

I kept watching that going :wtc: and then the end hit and I burst out laughing

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Solus posted:

What else can I actually do while I'm playing music?

The most important thing to do is to be intelligently thinking about where you want to take the mix, i.e. to be thinking a few songs ahead, and to be watching the crowd to see how they are reacting.

There's no reason to press a bunch of random nobs, if you find yourself with a lot of extra time between songs, you should challenge yourself to mix faster.

I agree with the poster above. Anything more specific, you need to tell us the genre.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Blowdryer posted:

Could someone give me a rundown on how not to blow out speakers? (I'm terrified I will.)

Dont run them beyond the loudspeaker RMS power rating. If you are not using a quality loudspeaker, I'd go further and say dont run it beyond the RMS power rating at a single frequency

It's good that you aren't running in the red. Congrats, you are smarter than 90% of all DJs :)

How are your speakers powered? Do you have an amp connected to some passive speakers, or powered speakers?

Blowdryer posted:

So does this mean as long as I'm not hitting reds on the level bars on the S2 I'm good to go?

If your amplifier is set up correctly, yes

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 30, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Feed Me's visual setup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMPur05qOBo

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Sealcub posted:

If anyone is trying to get rid of a lower-end controller and/or subwoofer I made a post about buying your stuffs over in SAMart - http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3506900.

Alternatively, anybody have recommendations for online shops (apart from ebay/craigslist) or perhaps online forum communities that sell used DJ equipment? The area I'm in has a pretty dire selection.

zzounds.com sometimes sells used/"blemished"/floor models

I don't know if they are worth it. IIRC they come with fully warrenty and replacement if they fail or something

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Beatport upped their maximum price and some songs are now $2.99

In particular, in my current cart they are mostly songs that are electronica and <3 minutes in length. Really bizzare :|

Solus posted:

So how's about this new thing: Serato DJ

http://serato.com/dj

And the pioneer thing that's coming out with it looks like it is going to loving KILL. http://bit.ly/QHkRo1

MSRP of 1200. There must be something wrong with

This looks really awesome, going to consider buying one. Release date of Nov 1st

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 3, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Christmas came early today in the form of a 25% off beatport coupon. Going to save $75+ on this beatport cart.

I'd post it here for others but it's locked to my account.

Here is a 20% anyone can use: OCTMXMG

e: sorry about my previous post about the $2.99 songs, that was incorrect. 4 tracks in my cart were set to AIFF for some reason (?) which is +$1. :downs:

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 5, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Alfajor posted:

Is there such a thing as a gift card to BeatPort? That'd probably go well.

That had them for a while IIRC, they stopped them for whatever reason. No clue why

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Beatport is doing some kind promotion this month

Use promo code "UNLOCK" to get 10%, if you use it by Nov 6th then you get another code to use for 20% by nov 14, and if you use that, you unlock some yet-unknown third code

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
e:ignore

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Soundcloud has a new beta, with new features. I could summarize all the changes, but it's easiest if you just click this link: http://next.soundcloud.com/

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I've never had a problem... werid?

e: do you have a paid soundcloud account?

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 13, 2012

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I'm curious what the length and tracklist/genre was for the mixes you had taken down. What was the first track in your mix, and was it played from the very beginning of the song?

(honestly trying to determine why it's only effecting some users)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

keevo posted:

I'm pretty sure it's dependent on what genre you're playing. If you're playing Top 40/Top 10 Beatport stuff then you're likely to get caught out by the copyright filter. I don't think it depends on what kind of account you have.

I didn't think so either, but it was the first question that came to mind. I agree with you on the top chart stuff, hence my last question :)

I'm also trying to figure out how accurate or in depth it is, i.e. if you start a 4 minute song at the 2 minute mark, it might not catch it (?)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Batu posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for mixers that aren't too pricy? Recently got two turntables from a friend so I'm looking for something that I can use to start to play with them but I'm also an eternally broke college student.

Price range?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Hey guys who wants to see Kaskade for NYE?

http://www.wantickets.com/Events/116770/Kaskade-New-Year-s-Eve-STORY-Premium-Open-Bar-9PM-Midnight/

quote:

Kaskade - New Year's Eve – STORY - Premium Open Bar 9PM-Midnight

DJ Booth VIP for 50

•Includes all the benefits of General Admission

•Includes 50 VIP Admission Tickets

•Includes 8 Premium Vodka Magnum & 12 Dom Perignon Luminus Magnum

•Party Favors

•Does NOT include Tax or Gratuity, this will be charged onsite

$100,000.00
+ $6,000.00 Service Charge

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Dopo posted:

That setup is so loving unreasonable.

The only thing I was confused about was dual laptops. Just seems like a waste of ~$1500. I can understand everything else in the pic

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Re: soundcloud copyright rejection

I've been informed by an artist who does a lot on soundcloud and with a pro account who occasionally has something taken down due to copyright that Soundcloud only analyzes the first 40 seconds of an upload. He said "you can just put in some bullshit like *wooshy wishy woosh woosh* and it will work". It was pretty funny (probably doesnt translate well to text), but thought you guys might want some closure on the discussion. He also said mashups are another way some people get around it

e: forgot to mention, he had one of his mixes with HIS OWN SONG at the beginning get rejected because it was released on EMI (I think?)

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Old Man Pants posted:

Traktor for iPad finally happened I'll pass personally but its kinda a neat gimmick.

Doesn't seem like a gimmick to me. The ability to organize your library, cue points, etc on a tablet is something that the dj industry has been long overdue by years on.

Not to mention they said in the article that more features are coming.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

Was gunna post this earlier! Sent it to several friends who also enjoyed it. Saw it posted by beatport on FB :v:

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
I just got my solo plan on soundcloud upgraded to a "pro unlimited" and now have every feature unlocked and unlimited hours for no price increase

E: Looks like they changed the pricing scheme down a tier, that explains the "opt in" thing

mitztronic fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Re: Earplugs

1. Hearos foam (32 dB, very poor sound quality, $10 for a box of 20 pairs)
I recommend these if you will be close to speakers or at a particularly loud event. They make everthing sound like poo poo but offer the best price/protection.

http://www.amazon.com/Hearos-Ultimate-Softness-20-Pair-Foam/dp/B001EPQ3H4

2. Etymonic ER-20 (12 dB, fairly flat reduction, ~$20)
I exclusively use these now because of how well they sound. I used the foam earplugs for 4 years and switched to these this past year.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ER+20&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3AER+20

I've heard mostly negative things about fitted earplugs (mostly that they work great, but break easily and are expensive and difficult to replace)

I'm interested if anyone else has any good recommendations