Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I've been thinking about starting my comic for a while now, but I get caught up in how I want to release stories/ strips
My current plan is to release small strips bi-weekly and to have them lead up (sometimes story-wise, sometimes not) to a longer story with full pages that I put up on Gumroad or something for free. My previous plan was to just release all of them monthly, strips + stories, but I realized that I needed some content throughout the month to keep people interested.
Does that idea seem stupid/ unwieldy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

Also, on this, I was thinking of hosting on tumblr, I already have a mock-up page set up
I dunno if hosting on an actual hosting site like Drunk Duck or Smackjeeves or whatever would be more beneficial. In my mind, hosting on tumblr would allow easy cross-posting between my main tumblr and the comic tumblr.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

Bro Enlai posted:

I haven't used DrunkDuck or SmackJeeves, but one disadvantage of posting on Tumblr is the search system. The tags aren't that useful for finding content, so unless you hitch your wagon to a popular fandom, you may have trouble getting noticed.

If it helps, I'm not new to tumblr in the slightest, I already have nearly 800 followers. Exactly how many of those are spam accounts, I dunno, but still. The point is that I have exposure down

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
Anyone here have any experience doing 100% traditional comics?
I want to try and do some stuff 100% traditional, but I need some tips, even if I actually plan on only doing it, like, 85% traditional (I want to do the text in the bubbles digitally. Still hand-written, mind you).

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

Ruin Completely posted:

Use non photo blue for the pencils, it makes it a billion times easier to scan (this only applies if you're doing b/w, though).

now, if I plan on adding splashes of color here and there (I don't have enough Copics yet to do full-color works, only a bunch of greytones and some primary colors and sea tones) what would I do? Just regular old pencil work? I have some non photo blue pencils coming in today (hopefully, along with the primary colors copic markers) and I want to test them out regardless

And I guess on a grander scheme, I just need help with scanning stuff. You know, adjusting the settings so the scan looks good

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

That exact scanning method is what I was looking for, actually, I saw it posted elsewhere and I couldn't find it again
I'll definitely try that with this comic I'm working on now, thanks!

which brings me to another question I have: about how long should I spend on inking? I know it's different for everyone, but I have a bad habit of feeling bad when I spend too much time on something and I end up rushing it even though it's something that would benefit with more time. I just need a ballpark estimate, something I can keep in mind so I can be like "OK, take this slower." If it helps, what I'm working on right now is j ust a small 4-panel comic but I also plan on doing a few full pages later.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
OK, so, I kinda got tired and forgot to try out that scanning method
BUT, I'll try to do it on the next one

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

al-azad posted:

I can see your blue pencil showing through. If you're going to do color work aside from monochrome stuff you don't need to use a blue pencil. Also, since you're using black inked lines you might benefit from the ink dropper tool when adjusting the black levels. It might not make much of a difference but try it and see what you get.

Yeah, the decision to color it traditionally was a decision made too late on my part
Originally, I was just gonna do it digitally. I'll try to do better on my next one

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
What would you suggest if my comic is taking place in a city, but I've never lived in the city in my life, only visited?

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

TheGreekOwl posted:

Greetings~

I recently drew these two pictures, to try and get motivated about webcomic and because I wanted to try something unfamiliar with my art. I do have a webcomic but I do not think I am ready to post it here

I drew with markers and ink, and tried to color it by watered down acrylics. I didn't really end up looking so good, so I went on photoshop and painted the skin there. She is a ladybug by the way if you are wondering.

Hey I remember seeing these! I'd definitely be interested in seeing more of your work in the future, whenever you feel confident enough to share!

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
Oh man, going on about lettering, I was planning a short comic once to experiment with tons of different types of lettering to indicate tone and quality of voice and stuff
I never really got around to it, though, it was just going to be a short comic that would expand on this even shorter comic I did in the past with the same characters

I did it around July of last year, it's kinda dumb looking back on it, but hey, I should be worried whenever I DON'T feel that way about old art

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I know it's a few weeks from now but do any of you have any plans for April Fools strips yet for your comics? I'm trying to think of a thing to do

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I was thinking of doing, like, a false start gag, like, pretending that my first story was up and running but have it be utter nonsense, but I feel like that may shoot me in the foot later if I don't actually hit my deadline/ true release date I was going to put at the end and I may betray the trust of some of the people who follow my tumblr who have been wanting to see it for some time now.

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

DrSunshine posted:

... why should I even draw anymore, when there's people like you out there? :smith:

I understand what you're trying to say here, but please don't say things like this. If anything, you should be motivated even more!

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

Guess I can post this here

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014

Plankhandles posted:

You should sign your work someplace! It's cute, and it's the kind of thing (a self-contained strip with a joke, doesn't need continuity to understand) that people would repost without source.

Ahh I didn't think of that! I usually sign my pics, but I guess it slipped my mind

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
This isn't a full story yet, but I did up a little mini comic for a series I'm planning
http://tapastic.com/episode/46958

I have some bigger, less "mini-episode" stories in the works and I'll probably put those up on there too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikochansan
Feb 11, 2014
I missed my personal deadline for getting the first few strips of my comic done, so I might as well upload these for now while I get my poo poo together and work on the rest

• Locked thread