Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Weed smokin', joint tokin', fake Jew of the Weed thread

guy in a jetta posted:

is nick diaz gonna get clowned on?

You could say that.

I wonder what his excuse is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Heard Eddie Cummings is no longer with DDS, anyone know more about why?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Kimura trap to take the back. Kimuras to sweep from botttom Z-guard. I love Kimuras.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

EBI 16 was announced to be May 5 in Las Vegas! Featuring Beatriz Mesquita (Black belt IBJJF World Champion), Elvira karppinen (Brown belt IBJJF Nogi World Champion) and Raquel Pa'aluhi Canuto (Black belt IBJJF Nogi World Champion).

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

There's a pretty decent Fight 2 Win card this Saturday featuring Kit Dale vs Jake Shields and Travis Magalit vs Marvin Castelle. Not to mention next week is Polaris 6 with Jake Shields vs Craig Jones and Benson Henderson vs AJ Agazarm immediately followed by EBI 15 (perhaps we'll see Geo Martinez vs Eddie Cummings once again). Pretty exciting month for grappling fans.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

Travis is one of my coaches and I'm SUPER excited for this.

I love Travis. He showed me some drills that upgraded my back retention 100x. He's got a super awesome style and most don't know he received his brown belt from 10P San Francisco's Denny Prokopos so this is kinda 10 on 10 crime.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

omg chael crash posted:

Travis is one of my coaches and I'm SUPER excited for this.

What'd you think of the match? I thought it was pretty closely contested and the estima lock Travis had probably won him the match. He did an excellent job defending Marvin's RG and forcing him to reset with every slam. I had a blast watching and got a huge kick out of the fact Travis tried to imanari Marvin.

Can't wait for next Saturday, Polaris in the morning and EBI 15 at night!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Heard Geo had the flu during EBI and was puking between his matches. Respect to Calestine though. That was the most exciting EBI IMO. Lots of quick finishes. I was REALLY impressed with Nick Honstein surviving and getting out of Ben Eddy's RG attacks.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I'm a 10p blue belt.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I love MTS. Eddie isn't putting on an act BTW, it's just him.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

break squad!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I've been training for about three years now, I have two bulging discs in my neck and just saw an orthopedist who recommended I get an injection of some sort to see if will help my nerve pain and perhaps consider artificial disc replacement or fusion surgery. He also told me to stop training. This was the third medical opinion I got on my neck in the past 4 months. First guy said no surgery recommended until I have insane levels of daily pain, that I can continue to train as I felt comfortable, second guy said let's do fusion ASAP and I should be able to resume training after the fusion operation. I've been seeing a chiropractor who has been providing traction to my neck and providing a lot of immediate relief.

However, I really haven't been able to train much these past months, just a leg lock class or drill session. There's been a few times I've felt good enough to do a few sparring rounds, however last Friday I went to a buddy's house and showed him a back take where you are the top turtle, you crossface with the inside blade of your arm while you reach to his far arm and secure your crossface then fall to your side, get your hooks in and finish the choke and I felt a small pop in my neck and instant pain and thought... "not again". I had pain that night and the next day and felt back to normal the day after.

I can't stop training. I love BJJ. I don't want to be hosed in ten years either. I know a ton of people have dealt with disc issues and still train or even have had disk replacement/fusion surgery and are good to go. I'm curious if anyone here has dealt with a similar situation and what they did to keep training. Any suggestions of Los Angeles based doctors who train or deal with combat sports athletes and might be able to provide me insight into my crippled body?

Edit: Words of advice to those who haven't experienced back/neck issues yet... take strength training and yoga seriously.

heeebrew fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 12, 2018

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Yuns posted:

I've suffered 2 severe neck injuries (no surgery but one robbed me of use of my tricep and another robbed me of use of my bicep until they healed after a long time) and 1 severe lower back injury that left me with a limp foot and required surgery. I have a ton of experience with spinal injuries. I also have a friend who had a neck fusion and still trains and another one who got an artificial disk put in his neck and quit as a result. I am going to write up a long response to your question but it's going to take some time to do it.

I really appreciate that. Thanks in advance.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I've had some guys take my back and RNC over my jaw super fast neck crank style in the past with very limited time to tap. This is a concern of mine.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I'm so excited for Quintet 2... But it's 11pm on Sunday night!

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Closed guard is life. How else you gonna play RG?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Quintet 2 was awesome. Loved seeing 10p go out, have some really tough matches and come out victorious.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Haisam Rida was the standout imo. Thats def a guy to watch going forward.

Rida getting guillotined by Geo though.... that was a holy poo poo moment for sure.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

It shouldn't be considered knee reaping unless you're attacking the foot that you are reaping but it's a grey zone for sure.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Just work the techniques your instructor goes over. Nothing better than hitting the move of the day.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

First roll in a long while and I got my neck crunched once again with my teammate attempting to step over my head with a kimura but just neck cranking me with his thigh... gently caress. I feel a lot of pain in between my shoulder blades. Gotta love jiu jitsu.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Yuns posted:

Flograppling was in class filming video today. I was trying to avoid the camera but managed to have the camera right in my face as I had to tap to an RNC. I'm looking forward to being embarrassing b-roll on a profile on one of the pro grapplers.

Goals

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Anyone competing tomorrow at Gracie Worlds?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Felt like Darren Till didn't even try to go flat to his back to defend that darce, but I know Woodley has monster arms and I'm sure that darce was loving tight.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Took a sick day today due to anxiety and was able to make the day class. My anxiety was relieved and my neck can't move now.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Any one actually have cervical disk replacement surgery or fusion and return to training? More neck pain than training lately...

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

spb posted:

Anyone use voodoo floss before? Does it work?

I have forearm pain/fatigue that I'll use the voodoo floss on, it seems to help provide temporary relief.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Yuns posted:

Some of the senior guys were having a talk after no gi class this morning. We're seeing an annoying trend of newer less experienced guys spamming leg locks - particularly heel hooks. We think that they think that is the DDS game. It is not. That's a complete misunderstanding. I've rolled with some of the best competitive leg lockers since they were blue belts. They do NOT spam leg locks. For example, Eddie is so good at leg locks in part because his ground game is so complete. He has incredible grips and control and an incredibly difficult guard to pass. Because of this he can create leg exposure like no one else I know. His ability to create leg exposure with his control and ability to off balance puts him into position to enter strong advantageous leg entanglements and his development of the control, hierarchy of position and finishing mechanics allow to take advantage of it. It is not just going inverted into a reverse X guard then elevating into an inverted heel hook. Without a complete game, you will not be effective at high level. Garry and Gordon also have complete games. They are not leg lock spammers. So don't treat leg locks as a short cut, you will get smashed.

Our gym changed the rules to first two rounds of rolling "no leg locks!" cuz we had a similar issue.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Since my neck is hosed, I only play legs.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Is this the first EBI with no DDS guys?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

can't wait for Quintet. On one hand, I love how TAM is signing all these "free agents", on the other hand, they aren't from TAM so it's not quite the same thing as "team x" vs "team y".

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Quintet is stacked. BTW, heard a sneaky rumor that EBI will introduce team-based EBI soon.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lY0PL5RYU8M

There are levels to this poo poo.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

HAHAHA she called him Jordan Ryan.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Proud of team 10th Planet. Tough loving matches tonight.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

drat Craig Jones is so impressive. I sincerely hope Boogeyman isn't hurt too bad, that was loving nasty.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Tacos Al Pastor posted:

Please post some pics and let us know how it went.

We need to do this but on the West Coast. I know SoCal has a ton of schools, I'd be down if anyone else is interested.

Down.

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no joke the other day a blue belt put me in such a tight side control I had to tap. It was practically like an ezekiel choke or something.

Was he smashing you with the shoulder of justice?

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

Defenestrategy posted:

Welp, I found a huge glaring hole in my game.

I suck at neutral bottom guard. Like if I'm sitting there and my opponent is standing there and I think to myself "I'm not gonna cause a scramble or stand up, I'm gonna have my opponent engage me and I'm gonna try to go to a guard and play a guard." I get toreando'd or knee cut and I get passed. Once we're pass that initial kerfluffle it's fine. I'll reguard and play guard and it's fine, or I'll get a reversal and it's fine. It's real sad, if I had to guess from playing pass and sweep today I'd get to any guard from neutral like... 10% of the time and get pretty much passed the rest.

So I guess I'm gonna be playing neutral pass and sweep for the next five months or what ever instead of free rolling. Any one have any advice on going from bottom neutral to a guard?

Have a guard in mind and look to establish your guard grips/contact before he can establish his passing grips/contact. It's time to get rid of the idea of a "neutral" guard and only develop an "aggressive" guard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heeebrew
Sep 6, 2007

I was training for 10-12 months before I was even coming close to hitting submissions on other white belts. I remember doing my first comp about 9 months in and I never submitted anyone at the gym, I was like WTF do I expect to happen at a competition? I got smashed and dominated but didn't get subbed my first match and I was loving hooked.