Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

mobn posted:

The worst was when they'd say something like "Oh, and over on mat 4 somebody won by guillotine or something", cut over to show the guy getting his hand raised, and when you come back to the match they were showing it's either over or someone got reversed.

This is pretty much how it is when you go to a regular competition with a decent amount of other people from your group competing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Subparr posted:

Thanks for calling me an idiot, dick!

Well, apparently he's not wrong!

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm sorry you have a pussy neck

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
once again, just because you can hit a certain submission with regularity doesn't make it a "high percentage move" you moron

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

james earl pwns posted:

only sperglords get angry about the semantics of it

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
BJJ is the gayest loving sport

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

fatherdog posted:

In grappling - since 2002

So was this just no-gi bjj or did you wrestle or something?

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
That I don't understand. I realize that doing a neck/spine/leg lock you saw on youtube once is very dangerous, but if you are only allowed to do things you learned there you're limiting yourself.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Ok, that's different then.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The same school that gives out the camo ones

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
It can be but okay

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Yeah it's happened when I got armbarred and didn't tap soon enough. It hurt a little after but the next day it was fine.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I'm an idiot and grit my teeth whenever I do anything. I chipped my tooth choking someone. Since then I wear a mouthguard every time.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

Competed in my first tournament today! Lost one match via RNC, lost the second on points, (4-2). Welp, back to the drawing board. Great time, though.

I've competed 4 times, today being the latest. Second tournament I competed in I hosed up and didn't tap soon enough and got choked out. They're great for showing you what you need to work on, and the pace is different from regular class which is fun.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Does anyone know anything about Tiger Schulmann BJJ? this weekend I was at a NAGA competition in New Jersey and on the day the kids compete they took 2 or so full mats for warming up and were doing calisthenics and poo poo as a group and it was kind of weird imo.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I think it's supposed to be more of a crushing choke. You can make it a choke that affects the carotid but it's not the only way.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
You won't see them in MMA because you'd have to grab the glove for most of them. I've seen matches end with a wristlock at some competitions I've been to but they're not at all common

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
No

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Is this real

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

CivilDisobedience posted:

They pander to wrestling like nobody's business, because that's what sells tickets

Jon Fitch: Fan Favorite

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Nifft posted:

Yep that's exactly how it would go..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxfUsdV9j70

Wrestling is a lot more than just double and single legs.

No you see it's not fair because Gardner needed to wear a gi too and

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
The majority of orgs either use the unified rules or something very similar. So yeah, when you talk about MMA rules you're talking about those rules sorry you don't understand this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Dangersim posted:

Keenan got his black belt from galvao

I wonder what Kel's up to