Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
His knee probably sounds like rice crispies at all times now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

mobn posted:

My RNC technique is pretty bad, which is probably why I don't think I could finish it one handed.

Once I get my arm under their chin, I do the standard hand-on-bicep grip, and put my free hand on the back of their neck. I push forward with that hand, and squeeze my bicep on the choking arm to add more pressure. If I don't do these two things, my arms are long enough that there's free space in there and I don't get enough pressure on the arteries.

Try to make your elbows touch.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

My answer to this is to abandon your shot as soon as possible and turn it into a guard pull, or just shoot singles, but I know that's not what you were looking for.

Go straight to x-guard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Who Gotch Ya posted:

Yeah dropping straight to x guard rules too. The "pick them up and put them down on their back" move from x guard is so much easier than shooting a double.

My go to move is arm drag, if that fails-single, if that fails-drop to x. I don't care how it translates because I'm there to have fun not to win fights.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

shizen posted:

well a counter point didn't josh barnett win no gi worlds and he has never trained in a gi I believe

Against who?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Death Bucket posted:

You are the guy I refuse to roll with. Stay away from my crippled joints.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fawker posted:

I'm a little sick at the moment, sniffly and some coughs. Would I be a big rear end in a top hat going to class tonight?

Yes

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

be careful with that. Killing off the non harmful bacteria on your skin may make it easier for the bad kind to spread.

I'm not a doctor and I don't think anyone really knows but it may be bad to be too clean.

Another thing: If you have suspected staph, tell the doctor that you participate in a contact sport and the odds of infection are much higher. I had an ingrown hair on my knee that freaked me out, the doctor said it was no big deal but I insisted he get it cultured to be sure. It turned out OK, but if it wasn't I would have been in BlindSide's situation or worse.

You're confusing skin with intestines.

Edit: A medical mobn

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 27, 2011

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I can watch Corey Hill's leg snap all day but watching that video made me want to throw up. gently caress heights, those dudes are crazy.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

Yes, the tournament that gives you penalties for pulling guard is definitely trying to make the game more skewed towards bjj and away from wrestling.

Hanlon's Razor applies to fighting in almost all areas.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
You can get various arm triangles from that position but you probably won't finish them without turning into them. Most people just can't squeeze that hard.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

Isn't it an automatic DQ to roll out of bounds to escape a submission anyways? Though I guess they were close enough to the edge of the mat that you might consider it as being incidental. Avellan probably knew where he was though.

They take away points if you do it more than once or some poo poo. The rules this year were kind of odd compared to most sub grappling competitions.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
If a submission is hurting you to the point of injury why aren't you tapping?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

BlindSite posted:

I think the real solution here is that you all need to learn to keep your neck protected.

He has obviously been ignoring his Wu Tang.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I let people pass my guard while locking in a kimura and sweep them with it as soon as they get to side control.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I don't think he had Vera's legs crossed. I think it was just a straight-up double kneebar.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Relson would tell you to go to sleep. It really helped my game to focus on relaxing when I'm under side control or half guard. You can defend a lot better and it is easier to get in position for sweeps and transitions.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
What is TGIF?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
http://gulf-coastmma.com/leg-lock-defense-webinar/
Alan Belcher is doing a webinar tomorrow that will go through his preparation for Palhares. His baby is fat.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It is definitely a knee tap. Ebersole likes to do that and mix it up by using it as a strike sometimes. I think he's done it in all of his UFC fights.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Fat Twitter Man posted:

Speaking of which, why did he quit the UFC?

He probably had to do things that weren't jiu jitsu and said gently caress that.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

How come none of my training partners ever suffer a debilitating calf cramp when I'm the one stuck in a submission hold?

Obviously you aren't drinking enough coconut water.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That is pretty cool.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Instead of trying to finish the choke, work on holding onto the head and arm while passing to side or mount. Then you'll be in a much better position to finish the choke.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
http://www.mginaction.com/VideoDetails.aspx?VideoId=9387

It isn't the exact position but it is head and arm control. You could try this and similar passes using your instep/foot whatever.

Here is a thing(skip to 0:45):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ti-8EvfVSY

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 28, 2012

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Here is a thing

It starts at around 4:20
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1GgMPl7F_4

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Watch more Big Nog fights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=doJPc2rsO10#t=290s

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Looks like the got paired up against each other and are just loving around.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

"Women always get the short end of the stick at grappling competitions, no one gives them the same level of respect as men"
*Shows two women fighting for 5 minutes at the beginning of the episode, then doesn't refer to them ever again*
Real groundbreaking moment there, Lloyd...

Lloyd Irvin isn't too keen on empowering women(unless it makes him money.)

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Novum posted:

Dangerous stuff really. Doesn't really feel like much until your foot in on upside down.

They are brown belts, they should know that. If they don't tap it is their own drat fault.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CivilDisobedience posted:

Well sure they're energy efficient but they also can cause serious injury with almost no effort, and in a situation like this where tensions are high and people aren't being super careful it just seems like a recipe for disaster. If you can't attack the fingers why should you be allowed to attack the toes?

Maybe you should learn what toeholds are before you talk about them.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

origami posted:

We're approaching mobn levels of grapple-chat.

We're way beyond that point.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYsi1Y-rGY

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Chexoid posted:

Personally it makes me sick seeing someone go for the Anaconda choke, it's irresponsible and dangerous, not to mention animal abuse to use a snake in a fight.

That's nothing compared to the mata leon. BJJ breeds a culture of animal cruelty.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Edit: I can't read.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jan 26, 2013

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

CivilDisobedience posted:

People seem to be getting really defensive about this misnomer, why is that?

Because you are being an idiot.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

What's the best way to finish up the RNC if I have very long arms? I have their trachea in the V of my elbow, hand grasping my bicep, other hand on the back of their head. I'm puffing my chest forward and pulling back/squeezing with the choking arm. Despite this, there just seems to be too much space in there and I can't get enough pressure to get a tap or put them out. I've experimented with grabbing my shoulder instead of my bicep, but that seems to move the V of the elbow out of position and turn it into a trach crush with my bicep. It also seems to make it easier to break my grip.

edit: Also I am doing lots of curls, but that's more of a long-term solution :)

I was taught to keep the choking arm relaxed because flexing creates a little space. You should use your shoulders and back to squeeze your elbows together and make sure to keep your head against your opponent's head.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Another reason to not watch the Olympics.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

I wonder if the IBJJF and UFC will step up and ban Lloyd Irvin and anyone competing under his name from competing.

Dominick Cruz is never fighting again anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

fatherdog posted:

When he initially got into BJJ he was interested in doing MMA, but at the academy he got into all he trained was jiujitsu, and then in 2003 he burst onto ADCC and became The Best Guy. After he got his NY academy to the point where he could spend time away from it he went down to ATT to train for an mma career, but after his first match DREAM basically told him "okay, we'll have a match for you next event" and then... didn't, four times in a row, and finally he just threw up his hands and went back up to NY to teach and keep winning grappling tournaments.

Someone that good at pure grappling should never do anything else.