Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
While rolling today, my partner tried to take my back and accidentally gave me the standard "armbar across my shoulder" counter. I wasn't quite able to finish it (safely) before he escaped, but I'm pretty sure I could have gotten the tap (with significant risk of injury) if I had just cranked as hard as possible the instant I saw the opening, which got me thinking.

Of course, I'm gonna err heavily on the side of not injuring my partner while training, and I'd go for it without hesitation in a self-defense situation, but where would competition fall on that spectrum? Is it OK or possibly even expected for competitors to apply submissions so fast that their opponent may not have time to tap before injury?

Put another way, what's the worst injury you'd seriously risk giving your opponent in order to win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I placed 3rd in my division at my first ever tournament today! It was a round-robin format with the weight classes grouped by whoever showed up, so of course my worst nightmare came true and I was the lightest guy in my "bracket". Two losses by points (0-2 and 6-8), two wins by submission (ridiculous"verbal tap" and Ezekiel), one win by points (7-0).

The "verbal tap" was sort of hilarious because I was smothering the other guy with my chest in mount to get him to freak out and hopefully roll over, but he groaned/yelled loudly enough for the ref to call it. A win is a win! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

5 matches in 45 minutes was rough, but I'd recommend the format highly to anyone looking for some Competition Experience™.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Hi Grappling Friends,

I feel as if I've been in a frustrating plateau lately. The instructors at my dojo don't seem to teach many small guy techniques or many bottom techniques, and the average size competitor at my gym is quite big. As a consequence right now I'm contending with a whole bunch of 180-300 lb guys who have smothering top games (many of them are tradesmen or farmers too, so they have that kind of tireless labourer's strength). If I can get to one of my two murder positions (back or crucifix) I am able to finish anyone in the gym at a high percentage, but for 95% of my rolling time I'm smashed under a big guy, defending keylocks. I have a number of good sweeps from half guard, but the top-game arms race has basically made everyone play crushy stifling half guards, and I haven't been able to get any of these sweeps to work from what was once one of my favourite positions. The only silver lining I've gotten really good at surviving. I spent much of last night under huge purple and black belts and gave up only a couple submissions (yes, I recognize that the black belt was going easy on me.)

But to spend a whole roll merely surviving is still frustrating, and I don't feel as if I'm learning anything or improving.

So I'm trying to figure out how I should approach my roll time and training to get through this plateau. I asked the instructor last night for some escapes from these positions, and he was happy to oblige (he didn't know he was teaching until he showed up, so he took requests). The thing is there wasn't anything new in what he showed. I had seen all of these techniques before, so it amounted to more reps on these techniques and hearing them described from a different perspective. I'm not sure if right now that learning new techniques will do me any good. It's more as if I just need to keep suffering in bottom side/half and defending kimuras until... idunno... these techniques start working maybe.

My main idea, aside from asking for instructor help, is to stop going for any submissions and focus 100% on position in my rolls for a while. Really it was that Weidman-Gastelum BJJ scout video, and the current thread discussion, that gave me the idea of changing my mindset in this way. I figure that if I just focus on maintaining and gaining position, that I'll begin to end up in these bad positions less frequently, and that if I stop going for submissions when I have the positions, I'll start learning follow-up positions for when people manage to defend my favoured techniques and escape. Is this a worthwhile approach to improving my jits game? Or is this ridiculous? Anyone have any other suggestions?

Have you seen this sweep before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv2gxvayoPY

Granted, I'm a medium-sized dude who is on the larger side for my gym, but I stumbled on this one early in my white belt career when I was getting flattened out a lot and have spent the last year or so sharpening it, and it consistently works on people waaay better than me. I like to use a thumb-down (pronated) cross-collar grip in the gi instead of the side-of-the-head thing he shows.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

mariooncrack posted:

Thanks for posting this. I was stuck in a similar position on Wednesday and couldn't exactly figure out how to get out. Hopefully I'll remember to try this next time I'm stuck like this.

I also in bottom side countrol. The guy on top had his arm behind my head and had a pretty good grip on the collar of my gi. Is there anything I can do to try to break that grip?

I'll let better people answer the grip break question, because I can't think of anything for it. However, this sweep can work from bottom side control as a reversal if they wrap your head like that; you just have to wait until their torso is roughly parallel with yours (or wiggle yourself around to force it) and watch out for the backstep -> step over to mount counter. If they do backstep, you can usually get enough space to work your leg in and reclaim guard if you're quick.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

JaySB posted:

The kimura is your friend, quite possibly your best friend.

It's Kimura Month at my gym, and I keep getting flashbacks to all of the times when I *could* have used these cool setups while rolling however long ago, except now everyone else knows to look out for those setups.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

If I'm reading it correctly, that rule about grabbing the legs from the bottom side of newaza straight-up bans a lot of BJJ staples like the tripod sweep, DLR guard, etc., which were used with some success in high-level judo this last year.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

spacetoaster posted:

But the dying cockroach is my super move. :colbert:

And yeah, my flexibility is pretty bad because of the weightlifting. I wonder if there's a BJJ weightlifting program. Lighter weights, more reps seems like it'd be ok.

5/3/1 for MMA is what you're looking for. Don't be surprised if your gains slow down a *lot* with the addition of BJJ. If you're going to do both in the same day, lifting before BJJ can work, but BJJ before lifting will be disappointing and/or dangerous. Don't forget to adjust your nutrition, sleep, etc. to account for the increased activity.

For flexibility, some people seem to really like Yoga for BJJ, or there's Joe DeFranco's Limber 11 and Simple 6, or just focus on whatever happens to be tight.

IMO, the most dangerous part of BJJ training at most places is people with weak breakfall skills trying to train takedowns. Developing good breakfall skills (find an experienced Judo guy to teach you if you can) will go a long way towards keeping you safe on the mat, and statistically speaking, it's the most likely thing from BJJ that you'll ever use in real life.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

spb posted:

Do you guys wash your belt after every class? I have one belt so I wash it only once per week. I always wash my gis though of course.

Yes, it's made of exactly the same stuff as the gi. I hate that the weird social hierarchy associated with the belt system means that I can't call a multi-stripe black belt an idiot when they get all superstitious about not washing their belt because they'll "lose their jiu-jitsu" or whatever. I got MRSA years before I started BJJ, and it was easily the worst pain I've ever felt; a friend also got it and nearly died (hospital stay, intravenous vancomycin, the whole shebang). People waxing sentimental about being proudly unhygienic is among my least favorite aspects of the hobby.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

My gym is what I would call "leg lock-curious". We spent all of last month on them, and it was simultaneously interesting and frustrating to get kicked back to "clueless beginner" level. Getting into a spirited battle with a trusted training partner while you're both exploring new territory is a really cool feeling.

The only downside is that I'm probably gonna DQ myself by accident at a tournament tomorrow because now I see toeholds everywhere.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Tournament update: feet never entered the equation, I just lost the normal way a bunch (round-robin).

Amusingly, the guy who won my bracket and subbed everyone but me DQed himself in our match by picking me up from side control and "slamming" me two or three inches. I didn't even notice until the ref stopped the match because it felt nicer than being crushed, but rules are rules!

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 17, 2018

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

VRViperII posted:

A guy at my gym passes my guard every time with this super basic move that i can’t stop, and I’m sure it’s because I am missing one simple concept. Hoping you guys can help.

In my full guard, puts his face into my belly, grabs near my belt with both hands, elbows tight to my hips and close to the floor. He then pushes back away from me until my guard easily breaks around his very low posture. I think the hands at my sides also have lapel in the grip, to stop me from sitting into him. I’m basically pinned there and he passes his head under a knee to finish.

His head is tucked low and goes like a turtle head into his gi so a cross collar choke would just catch his forehead.

I haven’t seen or been taught this pass anywhere, so I definitely haven’t seen a counter, but it seems so silly that there must be something I can do.

If you do positional sparring at your gym, try doing your best impression of his technique to the upper belts when you get the chance and pay attention to what they do to shut it down, then try to do the same thing to him. If he's one of those upper belts, just ask the other ones straight-up how to deal with it, because goodness knows they've had to think about it even more than you have.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

butros posted:

Main question is - is this position something that I can/should be able to work from? Or is it a position to be avoided and my ending up there is actually just a byproduct of my lovely passing?

As mentioned above, both. It sounds like you're falling into a hip switch half guard pass position, so you might as well learn how to finish it when you wind up there.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

L0cke17 posted:

Last night some new lovely white belt (as opposed to me, a slightly less new but still lovely white belt) tried to ezekiel me. He had no leverage at all, wasn't putting any pressure on. Then all of a sudden leaned forward and jammed their whole body weight almost on to my adams apple with their fist and it hurts like a bitch now.

Almost felt like something cracked when it happened, but I'm really hoping it's fine and just bruised or something.

I had a polite chat with them between fits of coughing about slowly adding more force to submission attempts rather than just throwing 100% at it from nothing to give people a chance to tap before hurting them, especially when you don't know the technique very well.

The receiving end of an Ezekiel choke from the top is no place to chill out and relax. If they've already grabbed their sleeve and gotten their fist to your trachea, you're in a *lot* of trouble.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Ezekiels have been my favorite submission since a small older purple belt caught me with one from the *bottom* of mount when I was a white belt. My old gym has a solid white belt -> blue belt program, but it doesn't include Ezekiel chokes, so in the final month or two before I switched gyms, I made it my personal mission to catch every single white belt there with one and then show them an escape/defense for it. Stopped back in for an open mat a few months later and some of the white belts I recognized were doing them to newer ones that I didn't recognize. It's the ciiiiiircle of liiiiiife

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I hear that too with my strength training but I am worried about ending up like that guy who tried to "bulk up" and ended up turning into a potato

Unless you're a very small person and/or actively trying to lose weight, that's probably not enough calories for 3+ classes a week *and* a serious lifting routine. Try bumping it up to 3000 and see what happens.

EDIT: can't go wrong with the ol' PB&J and a glass of (chocolate) milk.

Nestharken fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 31, 2018

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Positional sparring rules. My gym usually does ~30 minutes of it after drilling, starting in whatever position the move(s) of the day were from. It's good for getting a feel for novel positions even if your entries for it suck, and when the hell else are you going to experience the fleeting joy of having an upper belt in mount or back mount?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

People are weird about wristlocks, both giving and receiving. I suspect their reputation of being "dirty" or "prison rules" moves leads to a filter on the sort of person who hunts for them. They're also way more likely to provoke a non-standard verbal tap like "owowow" or just "ok" for some reason, even when applied slowly and deliberately.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

spb posted:

Can you wristlock against white belts? Maybe that's why I haven't experienced it, similar to leglocks

Everyone who puts their hands on my hips in closed guard gets treated to this until they stop doing it, white belt or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9Tm6Ddm3Yw

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

There's a similar guard break that's a bit more technical (the first one here):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6OXHhvKaSA&t=57s

The main points, as I learned it, are to anchor your hand somehow (either with a pants grip as shown above or just a no-thumb grip above the knee) and distribute the force across your forearm to make your arm harder to stuff for a triangle.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

It can be pretty sneaky, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka-VfDAvQjI

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Speaking of injuries, any recommendations for lower back pain after rolling? I picked up some stretches that help a lot, but was wondering if anyone else had any recs.

Strength training. I only get lower back pain from BJJ if I've been slacking on deadlifts. Some people also swear by reverse hyperextensions, but the machine for that is a little uncommon.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I'm 5'10" 180 and get confused by the ~160 dudes calling me a "big guy" until I roll with the ~200 guys my level and get reminded "oh yeah, 20 pounds is actually a pretty big handicap".

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

What was the rule in question, if that wouldn't be too incriminating?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I had a response typed out for the edited post, sorry about that. :X

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

FreakyMetalKid posted:

I started with half guard because I always ended up there whether I planned to or not. My closed guard would get broken and they'd pass to half. If I was in a bad position, I'd escape to half. I realized both that I already spent a lot of time there and that it's an easy position to obtain. Eventually I got pretty good at it. I now pull people into half guard as my preferred starting point. With that as the base of my game, I just started choosing pieces that I could connect to the existing stuff. I would get sweeps regularly and then hold people in side control without any reliable submissions, so I started working on attacks from side control. Some people shut down my half guard game, so I started on transitions to different guards. I try to add new techniques when I find myself getting stuck somewhere regularly or when the existing moves are hitting consistently. My game has little to do with the things demonstrated in class. My style and preferences are just different than what is shown a lot of the time. I look for moves that relate to the positions that come up during rolling and I ask instructors or watch videos to add to my toolbox.

Are you me?

JaySB posted:

I'm about to get my purple belt and I feel like I probably made a slight mistake (due to injury) on building a complete half guard game because I kinda suck in some other positions that I could have spent my blue belt improving and being competent in.

I might be biased (see above), but having a developed half guard game isn't such a bad thing; depending on how you conceptualize BJJ positions, it's the only one that's one step away from all of the other major ones, so it's relatively easy to wind up there (or have someone put you there). Might as well be useful when that happens.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

JaySB posted:

5x5 is trash. Westside Barbell if you want to get strong. I've been doing a lot of HIIT and functional fitness though. Deadlifts, turkish getups, squats, lunges, jump squats and core are what seem to be the most transferable exercises to jiu jitsu.

^^^ this. 5x5 is a higher-volume knockoff of Starting Strength, a program that explicitly says that you're not supposed to do any other strenuous exercise while you're on it, and also you should drink a gallon of whole milk every day. Pick a different program with saner volume and temper your expectations for gainz if you're going hard at BJJ.

Rows and pull-ups are cool too; they're very relevant to anything involving pulling on gi grips.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mekchu posted:

As everyone else said, roll with guys brand new to the gym and you'll immediately feel how much more technical you are by comparison.

Doesn't even have to be total newbies. Pop in at an open mat at a different gym sometime and see how much better your A-game works against someone your own level who hasn't had months of practice at defending it.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

you guys get injured a lot. i'll ask yall. training partner of mine has knees that are causing him immense pain. sitting on a bench with no weight on them he'll raise them up and you can hear audible crackling and popping but with no pain. when weight is on them he's in agony. ultrasounds, x-rays, mri's have all come up clear. blood tests show no arthritis markers. normal squats cause the most pain, sumo squats cause significantly less pain. has anyone got any loving idea what this might be?

Sounds familiar. I was in a similar boat years ago, and after several X-rays and MRIs , a diagnosis of chondromalacia patellae (read: "you got bad knees"), and a bunch of physical therapy, what ultimately did the trick was... heavy squats. Squat stance is a pretty variable thing based on a person's hip orientation and femur/tibia length, so tell your friend to keep sumo squatting away if that's what works for his knees.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Any Under Armour-type compression shirt will do; I prefer long-sleeve to reduce rugburn on my elbows (ditto leggings). The real draw of rashguards is if you really enjoy looking like an Ed Hardy design. Some gyms or tournaments might also require you to wear one that's color-matched to your belt level, but I haven't really seen that enforced anywhere I've been.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

My edgy BJJ opinion is that slams should be legal (at the very least for any ruleset that allows jumping guard) and incorporated into training as early as possible.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

When I started training, one of my instructors was an 18-year-old brown belt who had been training since he was 5 (relevant to what Yuns suggested, he also did gymnastics as a kid, so he loves to clown on people with ridiculous acrobatic stuff). The other brown belts occasionally wax nostalgic about the good old days when he was small enough that they could dominate him.

To the people opposed to adolescents doing submissions in competition--do you have specific incidents in mind that inform that opinion? Anecdotally, I haven't seen or heard of any of the kids in my extended BJJ social network having injured anything more than their feelings at a competiton, but I know of more than a few adult white belts that have.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Soccer's cool, sure. Really though, American football is uniquely designed to cause as much brain damage as possible. Let kids do literally anything else this side of boxing.

A double leg shot executed to completion results in a takedown and a dominant position, not a broken arm. You can drill good breakfalling into someone before they compete and it becomes muscle memory -- a kid getting a torn rotator cuff because he's trying to ride out a deep kimura until the round ends is something else.

Soccer might not be safe for kids either, actually.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

I "rolled" with AJ during line drills when he stopped in to my old school a while back. Pretty quiet, more or less indistinguishable from any other black belt from my perspective. He had a blue belt with him (younger brother, maybe?) who absolutely wrecked me with his spider guard.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Using your hooks can be useful for a heavy low mount position but isn't necessary if you switch to a high mount (knees in their armpits), and can actually be counterproductive if your goal is to get them to turn on their side and expose their back. More than any One Simple Trick To Hold Mount Forever, though, it's important to develop a sensitivity for proactively shifting your weight in ways that will neutralize whatever escape your partner is *currently* attempting, and that just comes with practice. Which escape(s) is giving you the most trouble? Trap and roll, knee-elbow, bench-pressing the hips?

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

It's also important to distinguish between grapevines (toes turned out and applying pressure laterally, often simultaneously on both sides) and hooks (toe pointed toward the ceiling, hips dropping down heavy on the same side as the hooking foot, generally just on one side). You can still get rolled while grapevining, but it's much tougher to do if you're hooking the correct leg when someone starts to bridge.

Grapevines:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oH6bzXuhcX0

Hooks:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l4hnSP6sZ4&t=269s

The hip pressure is hard to see in this one, but it's very real and very frustrating from someone who knows what they're doing.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

The one sport in the word where you have perfect legal freedom to fight your enemies and they still do Twitter beef

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJ8eTb6xr_k

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

We're talking about it now, aren't we? No such thing as bad publicity, etc.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Did anyone else ever have a period as a white belt where they felt like learning more made them worse? I feel literally like I am doing worse than I was 2 months ago and I feel like its because I now know what I should be doing and I am trying to do it and failing instead of just flailing about and hoping for the best

The Dunning-Kruger reference above is relevant. This is also appropriate, except the part that most people miss with the (un)conscious (in)competence model is that it's more like a neverending spiral through four quadrants instead of a straight line towards perfection.

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Count Roland posted:

How long does it take to get a blue belt?

Back when I started training, the gyms I was at all took their time: 2-3 years was pretty normal, but more wouldn't be unusual. Sometimes it went faster, but that was if say a guy had extensive judo experience.

I ask because back then I'd read online about people fretting over the dilution of belts. That ~back in the day~ it used to take real work, but nowadays (5+ years ago now) gyms were becoming more mcdojo-ized, belts were being handed out like candy, making the belts worth less than they were in the past.

Now that I'm back at training, I'm wondering if this has been borne out. At the gym I train at, it seems like it hasn't. The blues have all been training for years. Whites with several stripes are 2-3 years in. I'm a blue myself, and so far all the blues I've faced have, well, felt like blue belts. Purple belts are consistently better; sometimes a great deal better.

What do you guys think?

It's more useful to think of it in terms of mat hours and not a time duration, though it's also harder to track. Someone who trains 2 hours a week is going to progress much more slowly than someone training 10 hours a week.

As far as ~dilution~, I've only ever rolled with one blue belt who was just objectively bad at BJJ, and every black belt I've ever rolled with might as well have been a wizard compared to me, so the system seems to be working pretty well despite having no universally standardized criteria. If anything, it's probably gone more in the other direction at some schools, where you have coaches holding back their *very* talented lower belts so that they can rack up prestigious tournament wins for their gym.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

Wash your drat gi after every training session.