Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Leandro Lo just won a quarterfinal by referees decision 0-0 on points and 1-1 on advantages

:tootzzz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

i'm like 95% sure Romulo just had his ankle broken

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

FreakyMetalKid posted:

That looked very painful. I know you don't wanna tap at the World Championships, but drat. Let yourself walk off the mat.

Didn't he do the same thing to no sell a toe hold in an exhibition against Barnett?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Holy poo poo Meregali beat Lo

e: http://imgur.com/a/3G5b2

ch3cooh fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 5, 2017

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Yeah. He only lost by split referee decision. Some ref thought "the guy who got his foot torn off totally won that match."

Gracie Barra patches on Romulo's gi probably helped

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Decades posted:

Great way to weed out people who consider paying their team's dues punishment though

A gym's best customers are people who pay dues and never show up and consume any resources. So you get people who just start, and might not commit fully, at a lower price because you still have plenty of margin on them. But as people progress to higher belts they are presumably training more in classes that are smaller. It might sound lovely but I could see the argument that they are consuming more of the gym's resources (mat space and instructor time) compared to someone in a larger beginner class, so they pay more

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

welp looks like no jiujitsu for me for a while.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Slipped disc between 4 and 5?

That's what it looks like to my untrained eye. Radiologist is going to review tomorrow morning and send a report to my back doc.

I swear to god if I have to quit bjj due to an injury as a four stripe brown belt I'm going to be a loving wreck

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

I.N.R.I posted:

it depends how severe it is but youll be fine in the long run generally. they can usually heal without surgery, my friend had one that he recovered from with physical rehab and he was doing hard cardio after 2 months or so and doesnt get any back pain or any problems now. you can probably expect a much longer recovery if you do need surgery

One of our other brown belts is a physical therapist so I'll be talking to him about a gameplan.

My general plan is to drop 25-30lbs to get back around 210 and to work in yoga/Pilates to my lifting and bjj routine to build core strength.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Got the official word from the doc yesterday, Herniated L4L5 with inferior migration causing L5 nerve root compression.

He's signed off on my general rehab plan but I'm trying to get some more clarity from him on what the milestones are that I would need to achieve to get back on the mat.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

JaySB posted:

Short rest will likely fatigue your muscles more so the chances of grappling after or the next day are decreased.

I have actually recommended this to guys who are first starting out but are strong and have a tendency to muscle. By pre-fatiguing their muscles it helps take that option away.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Maybe I should've been more clear. I haven't recommended someone on their first day pre-fatigue themselves. It was more guy's who have been training for a few months who in their mind know they shouldn't hulk out but can't yet actively overcome the instinct to rely on strength.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Double legs are illegal in what competition? Judo?

Greco!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Har Har, but it sounded like he was talking about belt whipping (which implies a gi based sport) and then transitioned into double legs being against the rules.

Judo has to be it, because doubles banned in a BJJ comp sounds dumb as hell.

TKD!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Novum posted:

Lol, how long has NAGA been giving out samurai swords as trophies?

My last tournament as a white belt back in 2008 they gave out samurai swords to everyone who won 1st

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

What on earth is body economy

Organ traffickers gotta make money somewhere

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Just got this from my doctor. I'm back bitches.

Also Kyle Snyder beat Sadulaev so the USA is the world freestyle champs.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

ICHIBAHN posted:

Demi Lovato got her blue.

You mean Luke Rockhold's ex?

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Yesterday was my second day back on the mat and it was most definitely ultra heavyweight day at the gym. A purple, 2 browns (including me), and 2 black belts all over 225lbs. Rolled with all of them and woke up this morning with my back feeling fine.

I am a happy happy man

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Dr. Miracle posted:

First things first, I like to get my guard opened. Then, I like to let them pass into side control,. Then I've got them right where I want them.

then i give up my back, and let them start to set up an armbar, then I roll up and land in their guard.

It's a really long complicated sweep that earns them 7 points and me 0 but gets me on top nonetheless

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

CommonShore posted:

Sssh this is my entire game.

I'll do it to blue belts that I'm friendly with just to see the look in their eyes when I come on top and they realize that the entire time they thought were doing really well against a brown belt it was actually a long elaborate plan that they played along with all the way.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

How does an attitude correction work, exactly?

I believe it's called an Attitude Adjustment and it's basically just a death valley driver

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Duh, what do you think sweat is?

A disease vector?

I have two brown belts because when I got promoted my coach gave me an A4. And I mean I could lose a few pounds but an A4? So I bought an A3

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Couple weeks ago my wife decided to clean out the closets while I was out of town and asked if it was ok to donate some of my old gis that I don't use much to the gym.

I said sure.

For the last couple weeks I've also been searching high and low for my favorite black gi that I wore pretty much every day.

One of the white belts walked into the gym today wearing it.

Yup my wife gave away my favorite gi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Drewjitsu posted:

Time to buy your new favourite gi, a shoyoroll. :getin:

It was a black Fuji Sekai and man it fit loving perfectly.