Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

That is rather cool. Also, interestingly enough for me at least, the company that built that contraption is right down the road from my workplace!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

drat that looks fun.

I'm rather excited though, just ordered an AXN with all the extras from HobbyKing. Annoyingly they didn't have it in stock in the European warehouse, but still:
- Plane + motor
- 6 servos (some for spares)
- ESC
- Battery

All for €95 delivered from Hong Kong.

Also excited as there is the big model show in town this weekend (Anyone from Germany here?).

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

Well drat.

Received my AXN from Hobby King last week and finally got it all put together last night, but the motor is screwed.

When I apply a bit of throttle, the motor spins but it sounds really gritty and it's not providing a constant thrust.

Have emailed HK and am awaiting a reply, but is the motor just dead, or can it be fixed?

I have taken it apart and can't see any obvious problems. No scratches or debris on the magnets.

Anyone know of a good retailer for motors in Germany / Europe?

Also, what size motor would be a suitable replacement?

(For reference I am using the pre-installed AXN motor, Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC, Spektrum AR600 and a ZIPPY Flightmax 2200mAh 3S1P 25C battery)

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

A while back I got my AXN, set everything up and then found that there was a problem with something. Posted about it here thinking it was the motor and contacted HobbyKing (still waiting on a resolution there...)

In the meantime I bought a spare motor from HK which arrived today. I fitted the motor this evening and I have the same problem.

What are the chances that I get two DOA motors? Or is there more likely a problem with my soldering somewhere?

For reference this is mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVwzQ7CE5XM

Only used about 50% throttle and kept it steady, no sudden movements.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

So faulty ESC or crappy soldering?

Just tested the RX on my heli and it seems to be working fine.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

I'd imagine it's to have a spare.

Wish I'd ordered a spare when I got my AXN.

Finally got a reply from the support people asking me to send my AXN to them for Warranty repair. Not going to happen as I have assembled the tail section so it won't fit in the box any more, and I can't be arsed to fabricate a sturdy box and pay to ship it back to Singapore.

Looks like I'm going to support local businesses and source parts in town. Ridiculous waiting times on the support emails from HK, nearly a week between responses with a maximum of 12 days!

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

SomeDrunkenMick posted:

Now comes the hard part, waiting. Whats HobbyKings turnaround like from Hong Kong? I made sure nothing was on back order.

Depending on where you are in Europe about 2 weeks. I'm in Germany and I ordered mine on the 21st March, received postage confirmation a week later on the 28th and received the package on the 5th April.

(Then a month of sparodic contact with support to see if they will replace a bit)

Generator posted:

A while back I got my AXN, set everything up and then found that there was a problem with something. Posted about it here thinking it was the motor and contacted HobbyKing (still waiting on a resolution there...)

In the meantime I bought a spare motor from HK which arrived today. I fitted the motor this evening and I have the same problem.

What are the chances that I get two DOA motors? Or is there more likely a problem with my soldering somewhere?

For reference this is mine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVwzQ7CE5XM

Only used about 50% throttle and kept it steady, no sudden movements.

In response to the above:

I went out and bought an ESC from a local model shop and fitted it this evening and ... everything works!

Am so drat happy its rather sad.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

I wouldn't worry about it, I had 1 LiPo in my order with the AXN, then got another one in a second order. No problems with either one.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

This was just posted in the PFY Funny pictures thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nniTcqo_PI
(A Dead Cat has its second life as a flying Quadrocopter)

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

So I've been searching about for a complete FPV kit as I have nothing, except my AXN, at the moment.

Are sets like this good value/quality?

I will only be using it to fly around the park and generally in line of sight. There might be one or two trees between the plane and myself at times.

As I am in Germany, I am only allowed a transmitter of up to 25mWatts at 5.8GHz. What kind of range is possible with that?

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

Generator posted:

So I've been searching about for a complete FPV kit as I have nothing, except my AXN, at the moment.

Are sets like this good value/quality?

I will only be using it to fly around the park and generally in line of sight. There might be one or two trees between the plane and myself at times.

As I am in Germany, I am only allowed a transmitter of up to 25mWatts at 5.8GHz. What kind of range is possible with that?

So anyone have any thoughts on the linked package?

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

JohnSherman posted:

This seems like as good a place as any to post this:
As a final project in my aerospace class, we are working in teams to build balloon-assisted RC airships. Obviously, we chose to fashion ours into a flying squirrel.
The construction is mostly finished, and we skated by at 60 grams less than the 1kg weight limit. Now, I get the fun job of learning how to fly this thing without breaking it. :dance:

I should have some stability test and flight videos soon.

That looks like great fun, can't wait to see pictures of the whole thing.

I managed to do my first proper FPV flights last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Y67_N6n6Wg
(Tacky music from Youtube included! :haw: )

It was windy as heck, but we were visiting the in-laws and they wanted to see it working, so peer pressure!

Recording the stream from my Fatsharks directly to a netbook produced a video of .. er .. sub quality. There is a weird green bar across the bottom and the picture quality is crap. A lot more interference than I had in the goggles, and I guess it couldn't keep up with the live video and so cut some parts of the flight out :(

One great part it cut out was hovering above the train track (pointing into the wind) and filming a train passing underneath. It looked great for me!

How do you guys capture the video?

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

I think that is to do with the speed classification of the card?

I had a C4 in my Keychain camera, and that produced a choppy video. Replaced with a C8 or 10 and was much smoother.

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

I have never tried anything other than full throttle for launch...

Perhaps next time out I should just try hand-launching with only partial throttle. Maybe that's my whole problem.

Full throttle pushes the nose down (because my plane looks like the top image in that picture thrust vector vs. COG wise) and it's doing this before it even really has a chance to actually get properly airborne = noseplant every time?

Definitely try a hand launch with reduced power.

I have a AXN Floater Jet, which is similar to the Bixler, and I was having trouble with the launches.

I was always using full throttle with full up elevator during a hand launch, and the result was the same as you are describing. Immediately pitching nose down (control surfaces were correct!). Most of the time it skimmed the grass for a bit then got properly airborne.

After looking at some videos on-line, I changed my style to engine on but barely ticking over, no elevator and a good chuck level to the ground. Once it is gliding, I gently power up and apply elevator. With this method I've had no troubles at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Generator
Jan 14, 2008

Nerobro posted:

While we're at it. Guess what I'm doing at lunch today?

What's your opinion on the Blade Nano QX FPV? Was thinking about grabbing one myself.