Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This is probably gonna be a really dumb question, but as someone who mostly only lurks the RC threads, I didn't want to just come in here and poo poo things up: I just attended a local club's airshow over the weekend and was wondering if any of you guys would be interested in seeing shots from the event. It was my first experience ever with RC planes of any type, so all of these planes were new to me, but there were some seriously cool aircraft there. Lots of 3D stunt planes, plus the owner of Redwing RC was there with his team and his new prototype MXS-Bach. It was mostly 2 stroke stuff, though there were a couple nitro rigs and a few electric. Anyways, I just thought I'd ask before dumping a bunch of random images you guys may not even care about :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Alright, i'll go ahead and post a few thumbs and link you guys the entire album. I took something like 700 photos, but I narrowed it down a lot to about 90 that were really good.

The rest of the album, for anyone who's interested. It's a bit hard to tell, but in a lot of those pictures where the planes are vertical, they were pretty much hovering in one spot, just pointing straight up. It was one of the coolest things I've ever seen :v:

vvv Thanks! It was my first attempt at anything like this, I learned they are really hard to track with a telephoto.

T1g4h fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Oct 6, 2014

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Out of curiosity, how hard are drones to fly for someone who has never flown a proper RC aircraft before? I've had mini coax helicopters, and they were pretty fun and simple, but I don't know how much more complex a drone would be. I ask because I've been looking at this cheap model as something to play around and record aerial footage with. I know that it's probably just a goofy toy, in all respects, but I think it'd be something fun to have to tide me over until I can get wealthy enough to afford a proper Octo setup that could lift my T2i. I'm not expecting to do any jawdroppingly amazing movies, just curious if it'd be worth picking up something cheap and fun to mess around with.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

slidebite posted:

It's $55 and the reviews seem pretty positive, I say go for it.
e: You might want to watch this guys vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxRjUH-9pU8

Awesome, i'm gonna check that out! It's currently a tossup between that X5C, or going a bit more spendy and getting this, which seems to have a much better camera. I think i'm gonna start lurking this thread a bit more, because I really do want to get into drones, and your post above is convincing me it's totally worth it. Plus, I think I've convinced my dad to pick up a quadcopter as well, since he used to fly helis and he's been interested in getting back into the hobby :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

Also a co-worker sent this:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome! That's a seriously cool thing to capture.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

slidebite posted:

Last night was our fiscal year end and we all stayed late at the office. It was unseasonably gorgeous outside, 20C and only the very slightest hint of a breeze so I brought the Phantom out for a bit of night flying in the industrial park where my office is located. Night video isn't as crisp as day (I am sure at least partially my fault for not tweaking the camera settings) but I took a still photo by fluke which turned out OK. You can just make out the gang from the shop in the darkness watching near the overhead door at center right near the sodium light.

Got it up to about 400'+ and those nav/status lights are clear & bright as hell. I am sure I could have had it to its max ceiling of 500M (approx 1650') and been able to make it out just fine.

This photo is seriously loving cool. If you get the chance to take more like them in the future, please do :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

My dad is an enabler, but the good kind. We've both been talking about picking up a helicopter to play around with, since they've gotten fairly cheap and easy to fly. Today while I was at work, he went and picked up a pair of $50 coaxials from Wal Mart. They're 16" long, actual radio control instead of IR, and meant to be flown outside. I've been hovering it around the living room and it's a blast. Doesn't handle wind very well, so i'm gonna have to wait for a calmer day. Wind is currently varying between 12 - 17mph so this thing goes wherever the breeze tells it right now.

Overall, it's pretty fun. And hilarious, because now I have to rethink my Christmast gift :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Mom and I were actually looking at the Traxxas LaTrax Alias, since it's somewhat bigger and you can mount a camera to it. Are those worth it, or would an X4 just be better overall? I've heard something about the Aliases going through motors.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

slidebite posted:

I've never flown those but the youtube vids I've seen looks good.

They make an X4 with a camera too if that interests you, but keep in mind cameras while cool will add weight and it is noticed.

If you really want a camera the Helimax 1sq is an option too.

Awesome, I'll look into the Helimax then! I know that drones without cameras are cheaper, but one of the big cool factors dad likes when it comes to drones are the camera setups that you can use to get aerial video. That's part of the reason he's been looking into them, so I'm trying to stick to stuff with cameras already on them or, like the Alias, ones that you can easily get a camera for :v:

Also, i'm really not sure how to feel about that Drone Boning trailer. That's... certainly something.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Dad picked up a Blade 120 SR today, plus a Spektrum DX4e for $80 total. Holy poo poo that little thing is fast. We bound everything and I just did a bit of hovering and testing the controls, it makes my coax look like a little baby toy. I also really, really debated on getting one of these to toy around with in my room, but I can almost guarantee I'd break or lose it within 5 minutes. Still though, I can't help but think the Faze is incredibly rad for what it is. It's so drat tiny :3:

Anyone got any experience with the Faze, in the off chance I feel like I need some ridiculous little palm sized quad sometime in the future?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

The Blade 120 SR I mentioned dad picking up? Turns out he was being a sneaky rear end and actually getting it for me for Christmas. S'okay though, I got him a Syma X6 so he could practice flying Quads with something big, tough, and able to handle a bit of wind :3:

Now I have a coax and a fixed pitch single rotor. The collection is steadily growing :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I'm not sure who came up with the idea for JST connectors, but good lord they are fiddly and hard to grip. Any of you guys have any tips for messing with these tiny little things? I'm worried i'm going to end up yanking the wires out of my batteries for my 120 SR at this point, it's kinda tough to get the battery to disconnect from the heli itself.

Also, is it typical for a fixed pitch style heli to roll hard left if the battery is low? Whenever mine gets close to running out of juice, my Blade will pitch hard left and I can't seem to counteract it. Also, last dumb question, any suggestions for a beefier battery upgrade? Right now I have two 1S 3.7V 500mAh LiPo batteries, just wondering if there's anything out there that's the same size that will last longer and give me a bit more flight time.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The tail rotor can't produce enough thrust to counter-act the torque from the main motor when the battery starts to run low.

Gotcha. Thanks, I was kinda worried that maybe I had screwed something up somehow. I'm trying not to ask too many stupid questions, this Blade is just my first "real" heli, everything else I've owned has been a coax of some form. I'm already looking at getting the Military style MD500E kit from here once I get good enough at flying that i'm not worried about immediately smashing it to bits :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Man, i'm glad spare main rotors for this Blade are cheap. Overcorrected for wind drift and slammed it nosefirst into the grass at high speed, managed to snap off part of one of the main rotor blades and broke one of the tiny plastic bits on the flybar where it connects to the rotor hub. $27 got me a new flybar and 2 sets of main rotors though :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Mister Sinewave posted:

A little late but I love these things: http://www.buddyrc.com/3s-ab-clips-5-sets.html

They snap onto the JST connectors and provide strain relief and a "tab" to safely reef on when inserting/pulling. Cheap, effective, clever :allears:

Oh my god, thank you so much for this link. Seriously, those are going to come in super handy!

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Really digging the BMW art car theme you've got with the Phantom. That's loving rad.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

MMD3 posted:

Went flying with SA forum member Doublethink today... took another photo:

These panos are seriously rad! I'm glad you're posting them, though you are making me wish I had a setup capable of lifting my DSLR :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Did someone say hovering fixed wings?

Still one of the craziest things i've seen.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Every single time you post one of those shots, I want a Phantom + GoPro even more.

I wonder if perhaps you could get around the daylight only rule by putting proper blinking collision lights on your quad?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

http://www.horizonhobby.com/helicopters/blade-helicopters/350-qx2-ap-combo-rtf-with-safe-reg%3B-technology-blh7900

Any of you guys know much about this particular quad? Dad linked it to me, i'm thinking it'd be a decent, cheaper alternative to a Phantom 2 + GoPro. Camera and video quality both seem to be pretty nice, and i'm liking the fact that it's ready to go right out of the box.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

A Yolo Wizard posted:

I feel like the 350qx is a sporty quad they tried to rebrand by nailing a gimbal to the bottom. Its definitely got some issues, as discussed in the vid.

Also don't follow the hand landing advice 16 minutes in unless you have a real drat good reason though (like you're trying to land it in the middle of the desert or a swarm of cute puppies and toddlers suddenly appear below your quad)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMbKNiVomZk

Interesting, the Blade seems way more touchy for sure after watching that. Sadly, the only ones I can seem to find are either out of stock, or come without the camera and run about the same as a Phantom 2 + GoPro if you want the camera included. Damnit, this hobby is way too expensive sometimes :v:

Thanks for the video though! I'm seriously interested in getting into aerial photography, i'm just trying to find the sweet spot of being able to take good photos without going completely broke buying the equipment.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Yeah, that was nothing short of amazing. There were a few times when I seriously expected his tail rotor to touch the ground, that dude has some serious skill :aaa:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

MMD3 posted:

Inspire 1 shot of downtown portland from last week... click for big

That is seriously cool.

Also, I think I may have finally been totally sucked into the hobby. I'm shopping for 450 sized RTF helis. Hoping to pick one up sometime this spring, in fact. The Blade 120 is fun but I need something that can handle a bit of wind, since the 120 is super light and easily pushed around. I knew this would happen, damnit :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

So this is pretty awesome. Guy took a Canon 6D and a Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero 4 and made a really awesome video of Hang Son Doong, a massive cave. It looks gorgeous and the cinematography is pretty great.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Laserface posted:

My god this is gorgeous.

Has vimeo always had such lovely compression though?

To be honest, I didn't even notice any compression issues. But then I'm also used to YouTube which artifacts everything like crazy so I might just not see it :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Well great, guess I've got a 450 scale heli now. If I wasn't addicted before, I'm going to be in the following weeks :v:

This thing is pretty slick. Carbon fiber main rotor blades are pretty trick, and the DX6i it came with is a really nice setup. Can't wait to take it for a test flight tomorrow and (hopefully) not explode it into a bunch of tiny pieces.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

It didn't explode into a million tiny pieces!

It was, however, still an expensive first flight. Shattered the main rotor blades, bent the spindle, ground a few teeth off the main gear, and lost a linkage. Lessons learned: The 450X is much, much faster and twitchier than my 120SR. By a large margin. And you need a lot more room to fly it, because it's way easier for it to accidentally drift into something and break stuff. But, I suppose that's part of the experience and it comes with the territory when you go from a fixed pitch micro to a full on 3D capable 450 scale setup. I'm pissed and frustrated with myself for letting it happen and for loving it up so badly on the first flight, but I learned a few important lessons. Next flight will be in a much larger, more open field and I'm going to see about adjusting the pitch and throttle curves to make it slightly less twitchy. For the very short time I had it hovering and flying, it was a glorious sight to behold and it made one hell of a noise. I'm hooked :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

ImplicitAssembler posted:

See, this is where I think the 'bigger is better' theory when learning to fly helicopters falls apart. Yes, it might harder to learn it on a MCPX, but it's also an awful lot cheaper and quicker to repair :D

I went with bigger mostly because while my 120 SR is fun, it cannot deal with wind unless it's about 3mph or less. This 450X has some weight to it, so I should be able to at least try and fly it most days, rather than having to wait for the rare windless days around here. I can deal with the increased price of the 450X crashes if it means I can get more flight time in :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

DreadLlama posted:

Actually, I want a blimp. Or a zeppelin. Yeah. A loving FPV zeppelin. Do those exist yet? How are we coming along with integrating photovoltaics into aircraft fuselages?

Not gonna lie, now i'm curious too. Are RC blimps a thing? And if not, why the hell aren't they?

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Have you even been to a sporting event? Those goddamn things are in every stadium. Look, they've dropped coupons for pizza!

Never been a huge sports fan, so I've never been to a stadium and can't tell if you're loving with me or not :v:

Like, are they seriously a thing? And if so, how big and expensive are they? Because RC zeppelins / blimps just sound like they'd be neat, I want to know more.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

subx posted:

As mentioned they are pretty common at sporting events. You see them indoors most often as wind is a big factor. Granted I've only talked to one person that flies them, so I don't know all that much, just that they are pretty neat.

I have never seen an fpv setup, I can't imagine it would be that difficult. And flight time should be very high since you are only providing lateral thrust and not using it for lift.

I also have no idea on cost or where you would even begin to go to acquire one.

Edit:
http://www.rcgroups.com/blimps-62/?s=2e617252595ce67f0437b9e100796ba5&

Holy poo poo, first thread I saw after glancing through was "Lous' Hindenburg Build". That's somewhat amazing :allears:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Damnit. I'm dumb. When I was ordering replacement parts for my 450X, I didn't realize there were multiple types of Main Gears and I ended up ordering straight cut instead of Helical. I didn't actually notice or realize my mistake until I took it out for a test flight today. Motor spun up, it got light on the skids, everything was going great... then the main blades slowed down and the motor kept spinning. Shut everything down, took a look at it, noticed that the main gear was stripped out from where the metal gear on the motor ate it up. It's a cheap fix, I just feel like an idiot for not noticing that. Now I have to wait on parts again, that's the worst thing about it :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

One of my friends sent me this earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZTtWnFMc_s

Am I right in guessing this is basically a scale blimp built to look like an airliner? I love how slow and gentle it flies, it looks super cool in motion.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Man, this has not been a good week for flying. One of the little plastic tabs that holds the ball linkage on my 450 X's swashplate snapped off on landing Friday, and today my 120 SR's tail motor gave up the ghost and seized up. I'm starting to think I may be cursed with helis :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Finally got a replacement tail boom on the way after my Blade 120's tail motor died earlier this summer, been putting it off for ages. Now that i'm getting it flying again, that's got me thinking. Any of you guys got any suggestions for good aftermarket canopies / frames?

I'm looking at getting the Military MD500E kit from here eventually, just wondering if any of you guys know of any other high quality aftermarket hop ups that'd be worth looking into.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

Why can't I just build something and be happy with it version 5030:

This thing is INSANE. 3s, 20amp BLHeli ESCs, Emax 1806 2800kv, AfroNaze FC, ~230g without battery

That thing looks rad as hell! Willing to bet it's super quick too :v:

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Snagged this for $40. Complete, ready to fly, with battery and charger and transmitter. Couldn't say no, i've never flown gliders before and considering how cheap it was this'll be a good way to learn :v:

I've also already got someone offering $60, so if I decide to get rid of it I can make money on it too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

Hello, aerial vehicle thread! The RC thread in AI sent me your way so I might crosspost for y'all!

Visited my parents today and decided I'd get some shots of dad's various projects that he's working on:

Cessna... 150, I believe? He's building this for one of his friends in the RC club he's in. It is absolutely bonkers how huge it is in person. I've asked him how the dude plans on transporting it because he's gonna need a trailer and he just laughed and said he's just building it, it's up to the dude to figure that out. Pictured hanging upside down at the top there is the FlightLine OV-10 Bronco, which has a 1400mm / 55" wingspan and this Cessna just utterly dwarfs it.

His various helis. Well, most of them. There's at least one Blade on a shelf elsewhere in the room :v: Pictured at the bottom there, next to the Bath & Body Works bag, is the front half of the fuselage to his other project that he's doing for another friend:

https://i.imgur.com/rciqa53.mp4
Scale Airwolf, with fiberglass body, retractable landing gear, and marker lights that he just wired in today. Apparently the body alone is $500 so he was a bit nervous about working on this one :v: