Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

mashed_penguin posted:

you can fry the transmitter as they will often overheat if the antenna isn't making proper contact.

Also, you can cook it just enough that it will just output at a very low power, so be sure to range test it before you fly it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I tried a guys headplay goggles last week, and decided I needed to do something about my goggles. I just got the Quantum V2 goggles from Hobbyking. And they just lowered the price again. If you leave the page open they'll offer you them for 55 something from the USA west warehouse.

Compared to my old fatshark aviators the are awesome. For $65 shipped you can not go wrong with these.

ease posted:

Quantum v2's are pretty rad. I only paid 62.55 for them since I left the window open. Shipping was 9.85 for a total of 71.44 to my door from the westcoast warehouse, ordered Wed, got here yest. Assembly was pretty easy. I glued the foam and neoprene up with shoe goo which seems to do pretty well binding to the EPP. I scored most of my glue areas first. I do have some doubts about how comfortable they are going to be for long periods. They include neoprene strips for where it touches your face, but I think ski goggle foam is probably more appropriate.

The screen is awesome. I have decent vision, so I have no problems with lens spacing. Some people said they wish they could move the screen further from the lens, but it seems ok to me. It's basically like looking at a computer monitor. You can move your eyes around to read an OSD rather than kinda doing a squinty thing to read them in my old fat sharks. I'm not sure I can ever go back to regular goggles. I said when I looked through Joe's headplays that I wish I hadn't for that reason.

The neoprene head rig is nice. The straps are a bit weird. I have a huge head, and it almost fits at the smallest settings. The plastic adjustment buckles are right over my ears which is kind of annoying. It'll take some tweaking to get everything comfortable. But otherwise it seems well made and you have tons of options for routing cables and what not. I think I'm going to keep my very simple with a 5.8ghz rx and battery and continue to use my 1.3->5.8ghz relay to keep the goggles wireless.

It came with a video switch so you can mount a camera on the goggles to look around. I'm not sure I'll wire that up, but maybe.

Also, I just opened up the USA West page for them again, the are for sale for 63.50 and leaving the page open, they offered them for 55.57. If anyone has been looking, they just dropped the price.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
You have a phantom 3?

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh nice, that's awesome! Especially the part leaving the building, flying over the roof and back in, that's the sort of stuff I'm hoping for. I guess I'll settle for 5.8GHz after all.

The newer 5.8ghz stuff is pretty impressive. And the frsky 2.4 control stuff is also great. You are going to get better penetration (better reception really) than you could previously. But you aren't going to be able to go miles through a forest or do a low neighborhood patrol style flight like you can on 433 and 1.2.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Combat Pretzel posted:

FPV racers, do they use unmixed controlling, or do they usually have their custom setups? My Taranis arrived and I was dicking around with it in FPV Freerider, and I noticed a bunch of behaviors that you could mitigate by mixing various channels. Do they the same, or do they race "pure"?

Are you talking like mixing rudder into aileron inputs to get coordinated turns? The general consensus on this is don't, learn how to do it all manually.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Thats also the dude who got assaulted by a random lady when he was flyin his stuff at the beach.

Too bad his whole family turned out to be nuts!

I saw my father in law today who is from the same town. I forgot to ask him if he's heard of him. Kid seems like one of those people who just attracts trouble, even if he has good intentions.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE

Mister Sinewave posted:

Hah, good point. It's certainly worth checking and besides no one's piped up saying "oh yeah that's what it looks like when X goes south" to my original description either.

I'd love for it to be ESC calibration, then I don't need to pull anything out of this pretty but not very serviceable frame.

I've had ESC's reset themselves, or go out of whack at least 3 times. Always thought it was a bad motor or wiring, and was always fixed with a re-calibration. It's weird that it's happened so many times. I think it's always been plush ESCs.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2015/August/19/Racing-like-Superman

#NEFPV!

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
^ - Because when you apply forward pitch, you need to add thrust at a ratio?

Throttle curves are certainly a thing, but depending on your FC it might be more of a FC tuning thing than a transmitter thing. Ideally you want your throttle to be linear so that you have more range to play with (I'm putting this poorly, but you should get it). With a curve you are slow slow slow FAST FAST FAST and that makes minute adjustments along your stick harder.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Being active on the throttle is a huge part of rate/acro if you want more fly by wire/autolevel then you are either underpowered/overpowered and or your FC needs work.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
printed a new gopro mount for the mini

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
I don't post here much but Crossfire sucks. Go openLRS.

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
repowering a Y6... trying to go from amateur to pro

ease
Jul 19, 2004

HUGE
Nano goblin yard bombin https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEdVJwJ2fZc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ease
Jul 19, 2004