Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

So I kinda want to get into FPV after looking into it recently, but I also want to make some sweet cash to fund this hobby by selling aerial footage. I've got my 107 cert so no worries on the commercial front. It would mostly be real estate shots, but there's lots of forestry in my area so that may be an avenue too.

Is there any crossover between the FPV tech and photography/video drones? It seems like nah-- if I want to do image capture, I should get a Mavic or similar. And then I'd need a separate controller, googles, and platform for FPV fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks, that's kind of what I figured-- limited to no crossover.

I was looking at the Emax offerings and will probably buy one of their prebuilt first. I guess what I was really asking was, could I buy a Hawk 5 and throw a 4K gopro on and call it good :v: But I imagine the footage wouldn't' be stable, and no live feed to be sure I'm capturing usable media.

I can see where the DJI offerings can be boring; I flew a Phantom 4 in training and yup, it just feels like training wheels. The real question is, how do I make money flying FPV drones?

e: If I decide against RTF, are there any recommended kits that come with everything you need to build it? Not including radio and goggles

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm going to apply to be Metallica's PIC

https://youtu.be/HmyJh8qtrXc

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Any of you dudes looking to sell a TX or goggles?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

A friend gifted me a Turnigy 9X that's been modded with FrSky DJT module, backlight, lipo, and er9x firmware. Oh and also a HobbyKing 250 copter in the form of a basket case.

So now I'm gonna order a FatShark Attitude V5 and TinyHawk S!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Net gun imo

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

noo convince your neighbour the ultimate freedom move is to get your own defensive drone with a net hanging underneath to catch the criminal drone

No wait this is better

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:awesomelon:

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

fuuuuck it's already full of cat hair

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Hell yeah it does. I've ran a couple dozen packs at this point, so I'm crashing less at least. Put the Mockingbird tune on there today, although I'm not experienced enough to really tell the difference. Betaflight is a pretty slick interface!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

drat, that sucks. Half the cost of the quad.

Had a hard crash last night, broke a prop and popped out the camera. I need to print the little protector piece, but for now I put it back into it's holder. Also moved the antennas external while I had it apart, maybe that will improve vtx range a tiny bit

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Here's some mostly-raw footage of my Tinyhawk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3B7L6a6sx4 (check description for some highlight timestamps)

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Gotta say I'm real happy with my Attitude v5. $300 and I have nothing to compare it to, but I wanted the slim form-factor and having the slots for diopter lenses means I can enjoy full clarity. No need to buy a module or antennae, either. It's a pain to have to put on my glasses every time I need to recover, but the solution to that is 'crash less' so

e: also budget in some extra batteries. I bought these and they've been fine: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PCP38HT/

CloFan fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jul 29, 2019

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I'm new to the hobby so definitely do some fact checking. The 'flagship' FatSharks, Dominator HD0, don't come with a receiver module or antennae, you'd have to buy those separate aftermarket for $50-150 depending on features. 'Diversity' means that you have more than one antenna connector, so that you can mix and match antenna types to optimize performance-- your module will automatically switch to whichever antenna has the best reception at any given time.

As for types, I don't really know much. The V5 comes with an omni-directional (lollipop style?) and a patch. I've read you definitely want a patch antenna. That's an area I really need to research, but that's why I went with the V5 to start: known quality brand, and comes with everything you need to get started.

There's a lot of helpful videos on YouTube about all aspects of FPV flying, including antennae. If you learn something, post it here!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I guess DJI is announcing some goggles tomorrow?

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I wonder how many Orqa's are getting cancelled

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Fatshark gonna rush to market: https://www.facebook.com/FatSharkRC...89117317882016/

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

And the billions of dollars

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I had some problems with my motors, which I assume had to do with the immense abuse the Tinyhawk has endured. People on the Facebook group said to solder the motors and the problem would go away, but I opted to buy the 'upgrade' 16500kV Emax motors. Problem fixed! But also I only get like 2:20 battery life now with Mockingbird so it's time to revisit tuning

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Played around some more, and I can get a solid 3 minutes of ripping around the back yard. Need to turn 100% down due to jelly at 90+, but otherwise the tune feels really good on 16500kv. I think I probably shouldn't 2S with these motors though?

Lost a battery too, must have dropped it. Luckily the yard was freshly mowed, hopefully I'll find it tomorrow in the sun

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

oops https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifypy0HRzn0

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It sounds like you need to RMA it. It should absolutely start the motor every time out of the box... your vendor may require you to contact Emax directly though. Mine only started doing that after quite a few crashes, turtlemode flips, and getting stuck in grass blades preventing the motor from starting.

I'm in the middle of soldering it now. Had to extend the motor wires a bit to make it work... this is a pretty delicate job

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sheesh.

E: poo poo I'm real dumb. Those jumpers would have been a lot easier to manage if I had soldered them the the inside of the board. Oh well, it's done and it works

CloFan fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 15, 2019

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

It's a pretty common issue on the Tinyhawk where a motor will fail to spin up on Arm. I went ahead and did all of them since I didn't want to do it with one and have to come back a week later and do it to another.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoEhWvaT_2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8Eeu4KHdrI

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

huh, and that issue was chased all the way back to the dumb little connector? I would have gone nuts swapping my motors and assuming a dead ESC board

Yeah I swapped all four motors and it fixed it for a couple dozen packs, then it started happening with the new motors. I fly exclusively outdoors, so when I crash and try to take off again it's in grass. Well, grass will block the props from spinning and these tiny motors don't have enough torque to power through. My theory is when that happens, the energy has to go somewhere and and it ends up going to heat at the motor-side connector. This loosens the connection and causes the intermittent problem seen in the video. I say it weakens the motor-side connector, because the problem went away after a motor swap and only came back after a lot of crashes.

I haven't seen anyone on the facebook group say the issue came back after soldering, but I could have missed it. Every time someone describes the issue or posts a video like mine, there are a few people whose advise is just 'solder it'

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Finally got to fly it again today after it being down all week. Works great! Part of my troubleshooting involved flashing the stock config back... Earlier I said I didn't notice a difference between Mockingbird and stock tune. Now I know the stock tune is garbage, or maybe I'm out of practice, but I'm putting MB back on there immediately because it is vastly superior

It's good to be back in the air!

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I bought a secondhand Tyro79 for $40. Has some major jello I gotta figure out, but otherwise flies ok. It's kind of scary to be honest after the hours I put in being reckless with the Tinyhawk-- this thing has some mass and acceleration, I gotta be a lot more careful.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Tinyhawk works just fine outdoors for what it's worth. Probably don't try to fly if wind is gusting to double digits, but a light breeze is definitely navigable.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I went and added up how much I've spent on this hobby since starting in July. I don't recommend doing that.

Should be getting all my parts in for a 5" build soon... what do you think?

Frame: TBS Source One v0.3
Motors: BrotherHobby Returner R6 2306
Flight Controller: Diatone Mamba F722S
Elec Speed Controller: Diatone Mamba 506
Camera: Caddx Turbo Micro SDR2
VTX: RDQ Mach 1
RX: Frsky XM+
Antenna: Lumineer AXII Stubby
Batteries: Tattu 75C 4S 650mAh
Props (8): Misc
Buzzer: Vifly

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

2450Kv ! And nope, 650 is what I have.. guess I'll add some higher capacity to the list

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I thought I made some progress today....

Click to judge my solder joints. But yeah, the ESC is backwards so I get to re-do them all

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Oh poo poo, unbolting motors is genius. Better to fight the locktite then redo all that. Repinning could work too but yeah I was wanting the power leads out the back.

CloFan fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 19, 2019

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Got the board turned around, ended up desoldering anyways. Didn't take as long as I expected, and it gave me the chance to clean up some of those connections. Even though I'm using the Diatone stack, I still have to re-pin the wire since the motors aren't in the right order after testing today :v:

But, great news! It works and no smoke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mNtRovkmc8

CloFan fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 21, 2019

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

For this same reason, owning a 3D printer is a godsend. You think it's for printing gopro mounts and arm bumpers, but it's really for when you want a custom piece of plastic that connects this random banggood purchase to this other unknown component but also mounts to a 30x30 stack and has little ziptie holes you can connect your VTX antennas to. And it's just one piece, and it fits perfectly and you made it yourself and it didn't even exist an hour ago you're the only person on earth with that part

:yeah:

I am done with my first build! I love it.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Got a ballpark price? I've been eyeing fixed wings for sale in my area

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

lmao jesus

quote:

FrSky have recently started shipping an upgrade module to give ACCESS capabilities to existing, non-EXPRESS X10/X10S radios (which works on X12 too). This module implements an authentication check that has the purpose of allowing the module to only work with genuine FrSky radios and not with 3rd-party ones.
It was expected that the modules would simply not work without valid authentication, but the first owners have reported that they allow binding, give control, but then periodically cause intentional erratic, uncommanded channel movements instead.

This means that anyone turning the upgrade module on with an OpenTX build older than mentioned above (2.3.2) and binding it to a live model risks having broken servos/linkages, or worse erratic electric motor starts.
https://www.open-tx.org/2019/10/25/IXJT-upgrade

what the gently caress

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yikes! This is a lot more hard-line than I expected.

I guess it could be expected, since they've done essential the same thing with ADS-B

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

nevermind!

CloFan fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 15, 2020

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Nice dude! Enjoy your cheap new toy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

gently caress phone controls forever, though