Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
^^^ it doesn't sound like a TLR according to this, but two primes in one package. Nice find.

====================================

So I decided to get in on the point and shoot action too.
Being on a budget ruled out beauties like the Minilux and GR1. I did find this though...

The Fujifilm DL Supermini 28mm f3.5 (Yes, the lens is EBC)

Not as fast as many in the OP, but it's as big a TC-1 and fraction of the price(Mine was $50). Though they don't seem to be common outside of Asia, where they are branded 'TIARA'. There is also a more common zoom model.

Took it out last weekend for some fun.

FH000021 by Mhebble, on Flickr

The date stamp can be switched between time and the three major date display methods.

FH000019 by Mhebble, on Flickr

I need to remmebr to put it into redeye mode when it's dark.

Nothing good happens after 3am by Mhebble, on Flickr

The flash on this is automatically enabled when ever it's turned. Focus can be set manually to 17 pre-set distances from 0.35m to infinity via a button on the back. The timer mode can take up to three photos in a row, it has 'drop in' film loading and there is a 'panorama' switch that masks the film.

As you can tell, I'm sperging pretty hard over this camera. But it's a nice little performer and I like not having to think too hard when I use it.

Edit: Also have a review in Chinese

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Mar 15, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Jahoodie posted:

I sure hope you can turn off the date stamp, I'd say it's killing this otherwise nice photo.

I had it on more for novelty than anything else. I agree that it is irritating.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
The manual is Japanese but pretty straight forward.
Four buttons on the back; date, focus, flash and timer. I've just hit 'date' until rear LCD displayed dashes instead of time/date. I guess I'll see if that did the trick when I get the this roll back.

After recently losing my watch it was nice having a clock on my camera :(

Also mine is the Tiara II, not sure what the difference is compared to a regular Tiara is though.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Trambopaline posted:

Still hunting for a cheap 35mm camera to take into the third world next year. drat hipsters driving prices up. Currently bidding on a ricoh auto 35 which sounds fascinating. Looks quite insane too.

Very sci fi. I've googled a bunch on it and all i know is that it's got a rangefinder mechanism and a selenium meter, which is all the better since i want to take this into africa next year and i don't really want to know about fiddly lithium batteries or mercury ones that don't exist anymore. I don't suppose any of the wise goons out there might be able to tell me more about it?

Wow, that's a pretty stylish camera. Though I hate to tell you that a selenium meter in a 60's rangefinder viewfinder camera (it seems that only the auto 35V has a rangefinder) is bound to meter way off. That is if it isn't already dead.

Honestly I wouldn't worry about having to use batteries too much. Most camera batteries are small and light, so carrying a few with you shouldn't be an issue. If they are only needed for the light meter and no other functions then they will last for months. On top of that, anywhere that sells film is more than likely to sell batteries as well.

So the question becomes, how big is your budget for buying a camera?

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 08:39 on May 23, 2011

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
I just looked NZ Ebay, ouch!

I'd almost suggest stretching your budget and picking up an old Russian RF camera like a Zorki or FED. Then go pretend you are an old timey reporter in Africa :allears:

But that might not be for you. I'll leave this to someone with a better idea about what you should do.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

asteroceras posted:

I'm happy to tell you that (anecdotally), you are wrong.

Yashica Minister III 1963

Now that is a classy camera you have there. Glad to see you are getting good use out of it.

Though from this, it does sound like you need to compensate the light metre reading to get desired exposure?

asteroceras posted:

I've only run three films through this camera, but I put a lot of thought into exposure for every shot and I hit the exposure about 80% of the time.

On a camera like yours, that has manual controls, it isn't too much of an issue; Learn to compensate (as it sounds like you are doing) or buy a hand-held meter. That Ricoh he was looking at was auto exposure only. Sure, he could have dicked around with the ISO setting, but it may have only gotten him so far.

I have nothing against old cameras, it just helps to be aware of the issues you may face when using them.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

asteroceras posted:

I don't mean the meter reading is inaccurate, if anything, it seems very accurate

Okay, my bad.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
There's no reason to pay that much for a TIARA II. I got mine for $50 and I've seen plenty floating around for a similar price since then. Then again, I am in Japan and also finding good information on them in English is a bit of a pain.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.

Lord Rupert posted:

Are there any other suggestions for a wide, like 30mm or less, point and shoots that I should consider. I know about the Vivitar Wide & Slim so I am curious about other options. The cheaper the better I would say!

The Fujifilm DL Super Mini, otherwise know as the 'Tiara' in Asia, is a great 28mm f3.5 that you should be able to find for under $100.

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
Some people cry over not having a full frame DSLR, others lament their lack of Leica. Recently I can't forget the Fuji Tiara II I accindently destroyed about a year ago. I love my FE, but tomorrow I'm getting back in the P&S game.

Daddys hot grill fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 8, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daddys hot grill
Oct 4, 2010

You're crazy man.
I finally went out looking for a Tiara II today and was disheartened to find out they're now going for roughly twice as much as I remember. Oh well :(

• Locked thread