Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
"watch my friends drunkenly play piggyback pool"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Quantum of Phallus posted:

These are great, what's the stock, Portra 400?
Thanks! Yep, Portra 400 shot at around EI800-1200 and developed with no push. This film is magic.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Nikon F-801s, think the lens was probably a somewhat foggy 35-70mm f/2.8. I realised after posting that this thread is for P&S only but it was TOO LATE.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Anyone have an Olympus Pen EE? They look kinda cool to me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That has a nicer lens but manual aperture/shutter, right? I'm also kinda in love with the idea of a Pen FT mini slr but once you throw in a lens or two they start looking a bit pricey for a drunken photos camera.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Miike posted:

I have an Olympus Pen EE3. I like the half frame because you can use to compose an image across different frames.

Well, I'm convinced. Just bought an EES-2 on eBay! I guess it's not strictly a P&S because it has zone focus and manual frame advance but I think it's close enough for me.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Yeah, those are really cool. I looked at the EE2/EE3 but the EES has a slightly faster lens and I reckon there'll be times when I want that extra half stop.

I also found a Pen Wide on Gumtree, which looks nice but the guy selling will only do cash on collection and London is a bit far for me to go. :unsmigghh:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I got my EES-2 today but it had a bunch of problems. The flag for over/under exposure didn't come up, the film rewind release button didn't seem to do anything and the aperture blades were sticky. I opened the thing up and found two loose screws in the chamber where the meter needle lives, which I removed. I also fixed the exposure flag but don't have the right size screwdriver to remove the front lens element to sort out the aperture blades.

Now I have two screws that I don't know where they came from, it seems like the metering needle is still riding too high and getting caught on the plate above it, and I can't find a repair manual online. Also I guess I probably can't return the camera now having hosed about with it. :(

e: Looks like the screws should have been holding the shutter plate to the lens assembly, one mystery solved at least.

ee: Ooh, another unexplained screw and also a spring!

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 22, 2014

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Dorkasaurus your friends look fun and your photos are cool.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Red_Fred posted:

I guess what I'm asking is it worth using a camera over your phone if you're a lovely photographer?

I dunno, what are you hoping to get out of it? You might get higher quality photos in that they'll be higher resolution, have better dynamic range, you'll get more control over aperture and shutter speed, better lens selection and quality. But you'll also have to carry a lot of extra bulk and weight, learn to use your camera and actually have it with you and accessible - if you don't have it literally in your hand (or at least round your neck), even if it's just in your rucksack, you probably won't use it much. If you want "this is what I'm doing rn" or "I'm here in this place" pictures then just take your phone. If you want something more than that, then maybe look at another camera too, but you'll need to be a bit more specific about what you want to achieve. Biggest benefit of a second camera I can see from what you've said so far is that you won't run down your phone battery taking pictures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
That's a pretty big potato.

• Locked thread