Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
How on earth did I overlook this thread for so long? I have a ton of these cameras and they are awesome. My favourite at the moment is the Ricoh GR1s because it give you a lot of control and information but at the same time you can use it as a simple point and shoot if you want. The tack-sharp 28mm f/2.8 lens helps too. I find that one of the biggest things is that it actually remembers the settings you set the camera to when you turn it off. Some of the cheaper cameras don't so like on the Stylus Epic, you have to disable the flash every time you turn the camera on if you don't want to use auto flash. The big downside of the GR1s is that it's noisy so you can't use it in very quiet environments.

I have a Contax T2 that I like as well because it has aperture control and the lens is delicious, but it's relatively bulky and heavy. The focal length of 35mm is also a little more universal than the GR1s' 28mm.

I like using the XA as well but I find the focusing control to be a little frustrating sometimes because of the extremely small swing arc of the focus lever. The meter only going to 800 also limits its usefulness in low light. The Stylus Epic is good as well but as mentioned earlier, it doesn't remember settings and the autofocus can be a little guessy as I've had more shots of blurry subjects with sharp backgrounds with the Stylus Epic than any other camera. Another downside is the lack of information for the user so you don't know if it has selected a slow shutter speed or not.

The 35RC is nicer to use than the XA and I like the ability to run in manual mode, but it's bulkier, needs a lens cap unlike the XA and has the same light meter limitation of ISO 800. Also on mine the rangefinder patch is kind of faint.

What I'd really love is a point and shoot with an autofocus 50mm f/1.8 or something similar but most P&S cameras seem to come with 35mm lenses and f/2.8 or slower lenses.

HPL fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Spedman posted:

Cross posted with SAD, some home process Fuji 800z taken with the little Olympus mju-ii. Love the little thing, really nice lens on it, people are often shocked to find no LCD on the back.

That's half of the fun of film cameras.

"Hey, get any good pictures?"

"Damned if I know."

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Awkward Davies posted:

Not all of us are experts in this sort of thing ;)

This thing looks pretty nifty though (albeit it expensive).

For the same price, you could get a Contax T2 which is about the same, spec-wise.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

I HATE CARS posted:

I've been looking at a the Contax's, Yashica's, Ricoh's, Minolta's, etc. but this is my favourite by far. It feels a lot nicer than any of the others I've managed to have in my hand, has a narrower than 35mm lens (albiet not by much), ISO override, and is almost as pocketable as my XA.

You can override the DX ISO code by either scraping the paint off the film cannister to match what you want or using the exposure dial to adjust the ISO by +2/-2 stops.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I'll just put this right here. Any suggestions?

Ricoh GR21 has a 21mm f/3.5 lens. Good luck finding one at a decent price though.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

breathstealer posted:

http://microsites.lomography.com/lc-wide/
Lomography just released this thing with a 17/4.5. It's terrifyingly expensive for what it is, but way more interesting than anything else they make. Let's hope someone takes the idea and does it for cheaper...

It's actually not that bad a price considering that it's a new production, ultra-wide angle aperture-priority 35mm compact camera. If a similar thing came out from someone else, it would probably be near $1000. If the lens turns out to be decent, I'd say $400 is probably on par or potentially under-valued.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

breathstealer posted:

Oops missed this. It's full auto exposure I think, you can't even shift the program.

You can dink around with the ISO setting to compensate for exposure, but that's about it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I really want to clean out the rangefinder in my XA like I've done with a bunch if other rangefinders with good results, but I looked up the instructions and all I can say is: "gently caress it". I'll live with a slightly foggy view.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If you want fast ready times, get an XA. Slide cover open, press button. Leave the camera set to the hyperfocal distance and you won't have to spend time focusing.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

The one button approach can be pretty damned satisfying, good for drunk-shootin' at parties.

I've shot entire concerts with a beer in one hand and either a Contax T2 or Olympus Stylus Epic in the other.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Yeah, the Vancouver area is pretty much a wash for thrift store bargains because it's a double-headed thing with both thrift store junkies that know when all the latest stock comes out and a large population of photography/art school students and other photographers.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If anyone is looking for a sweet camera, I see that camera-traders.com has a Ricoh GR1s for $349. It has a fantastic 28mm f/2.8 lens, good controls and I highly recommend it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The MX is fairly bulletproof. Even if the meter dies, it's still a decent camera.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Ah yes. Love the razor-sharp Zeiss lens on the T2. I'd use mine a lot more if it weren't so heavy and bulky relative to what it is.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Sirkus posted:

Do you want to sell it to someone who will? (me!)

Mine has sentimental value since it was a hand-me-down from my dad.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Dead Alice posted:

I can pick up an Olympus Stylus Epic for $6 if I want it, but it has been dropped and the lens doesn't erect(...?) when you open the sliding cover.
Anyone know if this is an easy fix?

No. Not worth it considering the price of buying another Stylus Epic.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

AIIAZNSK8ER posted:

Went to a dance party on Saturday and for camera safety brought my Stylus, got some decent snaps. For $10 it's a much sharper image than what a digital point and shoot can pull off.

I shot a concert with a Stylus Epic and some Arista Premium:
http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts-2010/NinjaspyEndastWithout/13718217_ZpCRhF

My only grievance is that the camera would focus on the background about a quarter of the time.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Are there any other cameras as sharp and reliable as this guy? With a built in flash, preferably. The T4 is nice but I'm looking for something that's a bit of a step up.

The downside of the T2 is that it's a bit on the big and heavy side, but not show-stoppingly so. The controls aren't as nice as the ones on the Ricohs either.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ReptilePicasso posted:

I see you attend/live near UCSD, nice seeing somebody shooting film here, especially seeing as I found out my stylus pro leaks light :(.

I have one that leaks light a little. I put electrical tape around the edge of it. It's fine. Looks like crap but I mostly use it in low light anyway so it's not that noticeable.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Now we know why Terry treats his models the way he does. He's just furious about people dissing film.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
If they don't have a separate light meter, you'll probably want to get them a camera with a meter in it. I'd recommend looking at 70's/80's Japanese manual focus SLRs like a Pentax ME because they're reasonably priced, look nifty and work great. Plus they usually have automatic exposure and use commonly available batteries. It's also less of a crapshoot, quality-wise.

If you want something more rangefindery, try something like an Olympus XA. Same deal as above.

Lomo stuff is neat for a while but then it sits and collects dust when you get tired of the novelty. Good cameras will keep on trucking for years.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

nemoulette posted:

Yeah I think she'd be more into something compact.

How's the Konica C35? Looks tasty.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Konica_C35

The light meter is very limited as it can only go up to ISO 400. The rangefinder patch is kind of dim, but that's a general problem with old rangefinders. If you can get one in good working order, it'll be okay. Build quality is robust enough. If there's a downside to it, it's that it needs a type of battery that is harder to find these days.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
It's fine to have to order batteries if it's your own camera, but come on, it's a gift. It should be as hassle-free as possible.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

eggsovereasy posted:

XA came out in 1979!

For what it's worth, I hate my XA. Only time I get a photo in focus is luck. The rangefinder patch is so dim I can barely see it, even on a bright sunny day.

Get an XA2. They're much cheaper and all you need is the ability to tell the difference between a human and a mountain.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I have to be honest, I'm not super impressed with the Electro. It has a very loud shutter, it's big and heavy and I haven't found it to be any better to work with than any other fixed lens rangefinder.

The Olympus 35RC on the other hand, that is a sexy beast.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I'm super happy with my NEX 5N as a carry-around camera, but seeing all these T2 photos makes me miss shooting with my old T2.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

tuddy posted:

Are there any good p&s that have the ability to take filters?

If the camera has a flat metal front, there are magnetic filter mounts that'll stick on to the front of the camera.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

FasterThanLight posted:

Be like the RFF nerds and put black tape over all of the logos, which apparently puts you into "stealth mode".

Don't forget to wave your hand in front of your face like John Cena and shout "YOU CAN'T SEE ME!!!"

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Lord Rupert posted:

Are there any other suggestions for a wide, like 30mm or less, point and shoots that I should consider. I know about the Vivitar Wide & Slim so I am curious about other options. The cheaper the better I would say!

There's the Ricoh GR1s with a 28mm f/2.8 lens, but it's not cheap.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Meeper posted:

1) I have a set of new light seals on their way - what's the best thing to use to clean out the old remnants of seals and the gunk in the back? Anything I have to avoid in this process?

Try shooting a roll without replacing the seals. The camera may be fine the way it is.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I shot a concert with a Stylus Epic once:

http://www.mikechow.com/Concerts-2010/NinjaspyEndastWithout/13718217_ZpCRhF#!i=1002842822&k=cWBDdfL

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Man_of_Teflon posted:

I just accidentally bought 3 stylus epics on ebay so I might have an extra one to sell soon (assuming they all work) if anyone else is looking for one.

Mount them on a bar and do Nishika-style photos.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Some of these are pretty nice. London is a fun place to have a camera.
I often wish I lived in Europe. So much to see and do. Guess I'll have to settle for lots of mountains and forests and stuff.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I've got a GR1s. The build and image quality is excellent, but I can't stand how noisy the film winding mechanism is.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
The Olympus 35RC is the best of its type if you ask me. It's super compact and light and can do both manual and automatic. If you don't need manual controls, get an Olympus XA. It's possibly the most compact film camera with an actual rangefinder mechanism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Dude's got a sense of humor. I like that.

• Locked thread