Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Konica Big Mini is kind of a lovely camera in retrospect, but I had some great times with it:

I've since moved on to greener pastures in the form of a Nikon 35ti, which I adore.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57894797@N00/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

i feel stupid for admitting to buying yet another Yashica T4 but this one is the T4 super and it's WEATHERPROOF! it does have this excellent little ground glass type thing on the top tho, makes shooting from the hip really good. The Nikon 35ti has been my go-to point and shoot for most of this year but I've missed a lot of shots with it because it's a bit slower to actually focus and shoot. The good thing about the Yashica T4 is that every single time you press the button, it actually takes a shot. The sharpness of that shot usually isn't so great, but if time is a factor, then I still think it's a respectable camera.

Thinking about selling my Nikon 35ti tho.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

After drooling over a friend's TC-1 I've been keeping my eyes open for a Ti smaller frame 35mm P&S; how much are you looking to get for it?

I bought it for $400 so I wouldn't wanna part with it for less. PM me if you can.

MrBlandAverage posted:

What do you have to do with the T4 if you have the time and want the focus to be right?

Just pop open the shutter and look through. The viewfinder's a bit wack but it works fine for what it's supposed to be. I would be handholding shots with the T4 anyways, though, so this is just a helpful guide. I kind of rely on it too much actually and still try to shoot it within eyesight, you know?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

I've gotten some nice stuff out of Kodak Gold. I can never seem to find the rolls with more than 36 shots on the east coast. Last time I got a non-24 shot roll it was in Seattle.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

With the trusty Yashica T4S:

_25_0368 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

_29_0364 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

__7_0729 by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Got my test roll back from the ISE, pretty happy with it

Just ran through some Fuji C200 to test it out. Think I need to get to grips with the spot-focus a bit better, some of the other shots aren't as sharp as they thought they'd be (or maybe I just scanned them out of focus :ssh:)

Some of these are pretty nice. London is a fun place to have a camera.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

The Nikon 35Ti has a panoramic mode but it's awful (uses a thinner portion of 2-3 frames to emulate a panorama), the only true Man's 35mm Panoramic Camera is the Hasselblad XPAN but it's terrifyingly expensive. But goddamn can Hasselblad put a nice 35mm together when they set their mind to it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Summer's coming up, Spring is almost here. Dust off your point and shoots in preparation!

Here's some stuff from me over the past few months which didn't make the cut to my Flickr or whatever:

All taken on either a Contax T3 or a disposable.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Breadnought posted:

I got an Olympus XA with the A11 Flash for about $50 on Yahoo Auctions earlier this year and finally managed to put some rolls of Neopan 400 Presto and Portra 400 through.

What country were these taken in? That Hitler shirt is pretty, ahem, bold.

The Contaxt T3's flash: It Is Good:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

What's your tumblr dorkasaurus?

http://yoorop.tumblr.com/

We should probably have a thread for this kind of thing.

VomitOnLino posted:

Didn't know you had a tumblr, consider yourself followed.

And that's Japan. The use of Katakana (Says: Pachinko) is a dead giveaway.

Glad to know Japan is exactly as cool as I imagined.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

voodoorootbeer posted:

Lucked out at a trash 'n treasure:

New 2 dolla whip by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

This thing is small -- might be even thinner than my Rollei 35. Front lens cover has some trouble retracting so I'm either going to have to rip it off or just remember to check it every time. PANORAMA MODE should be fun to dick around with.

There's only one true panorama 35mm and it belongs nowhere near this thread:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/haselbla.shtml

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I want to get a $50-or-less p&s. What are some recommended models? I tried the ones in the OP but I guess lots of other people had the same idea because they're looking pretty pricey these days.

I just want a camera to have fun with and not worry about losing it. I have my fancy 5D for formal shots, but I want something to take photos of my friends that I'll actually print and keep rather than store on a harddrive and file away somewhere.

I've never done anything with film before so something somewhat dummyproof would be nice.

Konica Big Mini should be a good option for you. Might be time for a new thread given that even used Yashica T4's go for like $250 and up these days.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Understanding posted:

I got some good results with portra, felt a bit silly using an old p&s around pro photographers.

It's the pictures that matter, not the camera.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

notlodar posted:

What is it like living in the 80s?

These are awesome and I would rather see this in all those nyc indie photo magazines than whatever is currently in there.

some of those are from Morocco so yeah that whole country looks like the 80s

lol, i'd rather see them there too, *believe me*

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Shellman posted:

Picked up a Yashica T4 Super for $25 at the local camera store. Excited to load this baby up with some film and try out the wonderful world of point-and-shoot. (Or worst case sell it online for some good money).

Whoa! That's a great deal.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

I'm kind of confused by why someone would believe manual ISO override to be the deciding factor as to whether a point and shoot was good or not, but to each to their own.

I've had fun with Kodak Gold, it's totally impossible to find now though.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Pukestain Pal posted:

I don't hate 35mm scans nearly as much now.

Riding A Water Buffalo by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

This is awesome.

I recently shot this on my Minolta TC-1:

I think she came out looking pretty adorable in it, especially considering it was a totally random "while-wrapping" kind of shot. I've been toying with the idea of selling my TC-1 and going back to the Yashica T4 for a bit, as the TC-1 lens is a bit wide for my taste. Maybe a Contax G3? Konica Big Mini F? Anyone got any recommendations?

dorkasaurus_rex fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Feb 19, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

unpacked robinhood posted:

welp just bought this particular piece of poo poo

FIxed focus and shutter speed, I don't even know how it's supposed to work

5€ and I got 3 rolls of kodak gold and agfa something so I consider this a clear win

That looks like fun! And just in time for summer, no less!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Holy poo poo. Looks like the word got out about the Yashica T4. They go for about $300 minimum these days.

loving Terry Richardson

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Ethanfr0me posted:

Not just the T4 - the Contax T2, Olympus Stylus Epic (Mju-ii), Ricoh Gr series, Fuji Klasse, etc. are all going for bonkers money on eBay compared to a few years ago...

Time to go for the more obscure (but still amazing) Japanese ones. May be time for a new thread in light of this price boom. It's still crazy to me that a Yashica T4 in good condition will sell for about the same price as my Minolta TC1 which is simply a better made camera in all regards (metal body vs plastic just for starters)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Can anyone actually comment on the GR1? How quickly can it shoot after you turn it on? And what is the lens like? How many flashes do you get per battery?

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

I've been using the Fuji Natura S with 1600 color film lately and loving the gently caress out of it.

Someone is drinking in there somewhere, I'm sure.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Naturas are cool as poo poo but a p+s that costs half the price of a miata. :psyboom:

Nooooo I actually got a decent deal on one ($400 or so) because it's some ugly lavender color that no one wants

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

BANME.sh posted:

I found myself a Yashica Samurai X3.0 locally for cheap :getin:

:eyepop:

Half-frame SLR with 25-75mm power zoom, autofocus, motorized film advance.

how do you even put film in this

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Untitled by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

Been absolutely in love with my Fuji Natura S. Thing is a beast. 1600 at f/1.9 is kind of amazing. And the bizarre-o Natura 1600 film it uses is kind of awesome too, real glad to just know about in general. Really low grain for such a high speed film, and such nice, soft colors.

Plus, she's a looker:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

hi liter posted:

In the flash photos, is that just the on-camera light?

Yes! It's a pretty soft flash because the camera itself has a special mode for 1600 film.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Awkward Davies posted:

Just once could you post about an awesome camera that is not $700 tia

I got a steal on it! The art of the deal!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Still obsessed with this camera:

Untitled by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

Legit think this film produces the best orange tones on earth. Yes, it really looked like that.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

Are the menus in japanese?

Everything on it is in Japanese, haha.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

Did it take a while to figure it out? I'm seriously considering picking one up.

Standard symbols! Lightning bolt for flash, mountain range for infinity. Not too hard at all.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

fun times on deck

Did you ever get anything back from that 1600?? I'm curious to see if it looks different across different cameras!!

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

So I wrote some words and took some 35mm point and shoot pictures at CPAC. Maybe you'll like them? Couldn't find a better home for them than Medium:

https://medium.com/@simonzacharychetrit/a-shadow-is-looming-over-cpac-d84e78133255#.vbl838usa

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Thoogsby posted:

Cool. I would love for someone to do a whole project on just the partying at CPAC.

I'm still trying to get credentialed for the RNC. Won't be much partying there, more like suicidal drunkenness, but hey, they still won't take a tiny pink camera seriously so :shrug:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

i'm being generous in the definition, if the lens is attached or its got a small profile its technically a point and shoot. Just want people to buy cheapish lil cameras and take pictures of their friends drinking

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

you can still snag some great stuff in the sub $90 range, i really like the Konica Big Mini for example

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

I'm going on a 4.5 month backpacking trip in just over a week. I currently don't have a camera except for my phone (Nexus 5X), am I going to really benefit from getting a camera? I used to have a Nikon D80 but found that I just didn't really take it out that much because it was such a hassle.

I guess what I'm asking is it worth using a camera over your phone if you're a lovely photographer?

For what it's worth my phone (Droid Turbo 2) has a pretty decent camera but 98% of the time it's easier for me personally and produces better results to just whip out my point and shoot and take a picture. The great thing about these cameras is that even if you're a braindead monkey you can get a decent shot on them, and they'll be way better than what even the best smart phone images can produce. I'd honestly say yes, because you can pick up a good camera for under $100 and get a shitload of film and come back with some images you'll really like and that won't look bad and outdated in a few months when new phones start coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

nerdrum posted:

Using a half broken Leica Mini at a roller disco was a fun experience. I developed this in my sink and I am not good at developing film please dont yell at me

This actually looks pretty good mane. If you developed this in your sink you should probably keep up with this stuff bc you are already good at the hardest (technical) part

• Locked thread