Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Mister Roboto posted:

Problem with this train of thought: No one cares and still rags on S-E for FF14, even though they fired practically everyone involved with it. Which apparently did them no good anyways...

Not my fault if people don't care about facts. Point remains, the people who made FF11 and FF14 are not making DQ10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest VII is bound for 3DS in February in Japan.

That was somewhat predictable, but I'm glad it's happening if only because it means VIII is next on the remake list. Hopefully it'll be a console title; I don't think it would work on a portable at all.

Maybe it'll be on the Wii U or PS4 using an enhanced version of the Ni no Kuni engine…

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

voltron lion force posted:

You really think 8 is gonna get a remake? Unless you mean an HD remix thing, which I would buy instantly.

Yes, it will eventually get a remake. Just not soon.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Rumour is that Nintendo was tossing up between DQ7 and Bravely Default and picked BD, but that S-E is working on the DQ7 localisation on its own with 8-4.

As long as we get DQ7 somehow. I still haven't played the PS1 version, and I'm hoping the remake eliminates the problems I've heard it has (excessive grind, being stuck at boss fights because you didn't grind out a certain skill).

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

I understand why it's happening, but I'm not a fan of Dragon Quest on phones. The games are too long and too involving to really be comfortable on a super-mobile platform like a cell phone. Tablets will be a little more interesting, since functionality-wise those are more in line with handheld consoles in that they're mainly used in the home. But then you have the issue of touchscreens versus controllers, which might be mooted if the ports support iOS controllers in iOS 7 and up.

This will be Big In Japan™, at least.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

BadAstronaut posted:

I would honestly accept just DQ3 nicely translated. I own 8 and don't see how/why that could be improved.

I do. The environments are fairly sparse when you boil it down, and the story has some pacing issues that could stand to be corrected (it takes the party forever to get the ability to fly, and they just happen to arrive at the same place at the same time as the thing they got the flying ability to chase after, even though it started its trek to that place before the party began its search for the ability to fly—hurray run-on sentences).

I also yearn for anti-aliasing and color correction when I look at DQ8 now.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

BadAstronaut posted:

I don't want this to get :filez:-ey but isn't that sorted by running it on an emulator on your fancy big PC?

It helps a lot, but the scaling causes 2D or static elements (like menus and text) to look pretty bad. It's a trade-off, IMO.

It also doesn't enhance the game so much as put a better spin on what's there. I think DQ8 is ripe for enhancement.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

No complaints about the SNES/SFC DQ3 patch here, either. I played it a couple of years ago and it worked fine from beginning to end. The script was a little rough in spots, but it was much better than grinding through the NES or GBC versions.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Uznare posted:

The GBC version is based entirely on the SFC one down the drop and exp tables, it's just shittier looking, there's even one more bonus dungeon in it.

Sorry, I can't handle the script or the limited resolution.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Wow… that does look lovely, yes. It looks like they're incorrectly scaling the SNES version graphics. That's terrible.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Adam Bowen posted:

The original DQ is remarkably easy for an RPG of that era. It's mostly grinding, but even the amount of grinding necessary in each area is light compared to most 80s or 90s RPGs.

Not just that, but the game tells you when you're crossing into a stronger area by means of forcing you to cross a bridge. Crossing a bridge? Stronger enemies on the other side.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Bigass Moth posted:

Square Enix is really dumb and out of touch so they'll probably focus on FFXIII-3 before they even consider making DQ11.

Lightning Returns is FFXIII-3, and moreover, LR basically ends the sub-series anyway.

Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy isn't a mutually exclusive choice. S-E develops both.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Who wants to hold an iPhone for 100 hours? I don't understand why someone with sufficient decision making authority thought DQ8 on a mobile device would be a good experience.

DQ8 should have gotten an HD remake on a console.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

BadAstronaut posted:

I bought a PS2 just to play DQ8 and still have it (DQ8) sitting on my shelf, so maybe emulation is actually an option to finally check this classic off my list. I've read that it can actually be better to play DQ8 emulated on PC than on the PS2 itself..?

Yes. With the proper graphics settings, it's about as close as we'll get to a true HD version.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Justin_Brett posted:

Well I really doubt an iPhone can fully handle the overworld in 8, so whatever stripped down one they come up with will probably cut the travel time down.

You're greatly underestimating the iPhone, especially more recent iterations of its hardware. The iPhone can run DQ8 just fine. The problem is that holding a 5 inch touchscreen for 100 hours is not a fun or comfortable way to experience the game.

BadAstronaut posted:

Guess that is settled then - does it require a very powerful PC to get this going well?

"Very" powerful? No, especially not by contemporary standards. But the more hardware you can throw at it, the better. Particularly CPU cycles; PCSX2 loves it some CPU cycles.

Let's put it this way; can you play Battlefield 3 with decent graphical settings? Then you'll be OK with PCSX2.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

a_big_dog posted:

Not much would make me happier than an HD version of DQ8.

Except an HD version of Final Fantasy 12. :v:

An HD version of DQ8 would make me happier than an HD version of FF12, but I want both.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Crimson Harvest posted:

If we did get a real remake/upgrade of DQ8, I'd hope they would make a couple tweaks, especially to alchemy. Batch alchemy like in DQ9 would be great.

They'd most likely put batch alchemy in.

What I'd really hope for is a change to the points system to make it a little more flexible and less utterly final. You can only max out one branch, IIRC, and that's if you devote all your points to it. It kills variety.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

voltron lion force posted:

Nah you can definitely max out two branches, or at least nearly. The problem is there is no way to tell when the break points for learning skills is except via a guide or trial and error.

Then my memory fails me. But I know for sure I was very frustrated with the point system, its finality, and the lack of indication as to what you were really getting.

Yangus in particular can be very good or very bad depending on which path you take.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Fenrir posted:

Yeah, especially since "Sexy" (female only) is the best personality in the game, especially for the Hero.

Wait, what? Why is this true?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

JustJeff88 posted:

I paid $19.99 for VI, which isn't great, but I got IV for $14.99 and V, which is rare as gently caress and just as pricey, was $24.99.

I would argue you stole all three games. They're easily worth triple those listed prices in terms of enjoyment and entertainment delivered to the player.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

DuckHuntDog posted:

The GBC versions do look pretty bad vs. the SNES ones on emulators, but I think the GBC games look good on the actual hardware. If you have to get a physical copy, I would stick with the GBC games.

Having played them physically at the time of their actual release, I disagree. Even back then they didn't look very good on the GBC. Then again, I don't think anything looks good on the GBC.

The best way to approach DQ 1-3 right now is with an SNES emulator set to HQ4X filtering, IMO.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Potsticker posted:

Why would you want to make good spritework look like blobby messes I don't even understand. Like, I get those people who use retroarch to make the game look like exaggerated CRTs, but the only time I've seen "rounding the pixels out" look any sort of not completely terrible is when the sprites are still images of 3d models and have that jaggy low-res look in the first place.

The point is to make the games try to look closer to how we thought they looked upon release. Sorry, it's my favorite console and a darling of my childhood, but SNES graphics have NOT aged well. Not even its end of life titles, like Seiken Densetsu 3 and Tales of Phantasia, are particularly good looking these days.

So, a sprite filter works wonders in making things look better. I particularly like the effect HQ4X has on Dragon Quest's SNES art, especially Dragon Quest VI.

The alternative is to use scanlines, but those wind up making the games look much darker.

You guys who emulate at higher resolutions without filtering the graphics are something else. I can't do it, and I grew up with most of these games.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Potsticker posted:

Serious question: Do you use any sort of filtering when emulating NES games?

I haven't used an NES emulator in years and have no idea what filtering options might or might not be available.

Potsticker posted:

… because why would you intentionally make something muddy and harder to see clearly?

Because I disagree with your assertion that filtering leads to "muddy and harder to see clearly" graphics. To me, HQ4X results in an image that looks closer to what my nostalgia tells me the game looked like over the unfiltered original.

I'm not trying to tell you that you're wrong for liking something that I don't, so I'm not sure why you feel like persisting this line of questioning.

Terpfen fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jul 16, 2014

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Absolutely not. I wanted to get on with DQ5 as fast as possible, you see :)

You missed out on some plot stuff and another final boss. It's highly recommended to go back and play the postgame.

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

Crimson Harvest posted:

Well it took nearly two hours but I finally managed to fight a slime in DQ7!

This is gonna be a really long game, isn't it? Is there anything I need to know beforehand, so I can either not gently caress stuff up or make my life easier/more convenient?

I'm currently on a DQ7 playthrough as well. I've never played it before, so this is a brand new experience to me.

So far it doesn't feel longer than any other DQ game, and seems to be about on the same pace as VI. I just got to Mezar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

BadAstronaut posted:

So I'm really close to the end of DQ5 with my hero at level 35 and most other characters around 32. Is this enough to fight the final boss or do I need to grind a few more levels?

Also, I read a guide suggesting one uses Sabre but I've levelled up Mason quite a bit and his stats and HP seem to make him the best for straight up melee combat. Is there any reason I should be using Sabre instead?

That's kind of low. My suggestion is to grind for some money to buy equipment at the final town, and you'll naturally get a helpful level bump. A 2 level cushion should help tremendously.

Also, you should really be using the Slime Knight, IMO. Equipped with a Sword of Miracles and good armor, he's helpful up to the end.