Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Dragon Quest is full of party wipes your first time through.

Then you play it again ten years later and just kind of chump everything and you can't figure out why you had difficulty before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Or you can just not die. If you're prudent enough with grinding and getting gear, you won't die ever.. unless we're talking DQ2.

Yeah what's up, I'm a Silver Devil, I can use Sacrifice and kill all y'all :haw:

Also there's all the unlucky people who got slammed by a certain wrong turn you can take near the end of 4 buuuut :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Fenrir posted:

What wrong turn? This isn't ringing a bell at all.

Some people ended up in a certain fake House of Healing instead of the real one and got sent back to the other side of the very long dungeon :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

It's been an age and was a different version than the one you're probably playing so take this with a grain of salt - some of the late game critters are okay, but you'll be just grand with the humans alone. If you have a free party slot (you will, for a while) have a critter in it at least for providing an extra target for enemies, but in the end use who you want. Game's balanced enough in that regard.

e: Also thanks to some idle posts, I know there was a 10th main game and thanks to Google I know why I had no idea :v:

Shugojin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 4, 2014

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah on the NES version I kept the claw around actually for grinding purposes even if I didn't have anybody in the party to use it. I'd just shove it in the Vault back at Aliahan and pay some money to get it back out when grinding time came around again.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Meanwhile, all us android dorks get is a port of VIII, the playability of which depends heavily on how good your device is

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

If you don't like stupid puns then get the hell out of here.

I really need to get around to finishing IX. The puns were fun.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah 7 is really long and really grindy.

I liked it much more years later on an emulator with the magic power of turbospeed. Also for whatever reason, my inner however old I was when I got a PlayStation felt vindicated as gently caress that a computer's optical drive finally played a PlayStation disc. :v:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

RadicalR posted:

I did see that Dragon Quest 8 got released on Android. Any opinion on that?

It's pretty wonky apparently. I wouldn't.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Arcaeris posted:

I have 7 on the 3DS, the class system is dramatically different. While it's easier to level up, you don't keep most skills between classes so it turns out Monster classes are the best for actually getting skills because they keep between classes.

I don't know if this makes it better or worse than the PS1, as it's still 45 minutes to an hour before you fight anything.

Frankly that turns it into... basically an entirely different game with the same story. drat.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah that's what they do.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think probably the "worst" in the series for me is 6. There's just this long period where it feels really, really aimless.

(If you had asked me like ten years ago I would have said "4" without hesitation but there have been rereleases that aren't subject to the godawful mandatory party AI the original release had.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Costs more money to do poo poo for mobile too though, it's pretty different from 3DS (I assume) and is more effort.

Also doesn't fix the problem that Dragon Quest just doesn't sell well in the US. :smith:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

rvm posted:

So, I'm playing DQ7 now and I've just cleared what I can only describe as JRPG Hell. But payoff was worth it. That was a bold move to introduce the defining feature of the game more than 24 hours in, I must say. But all and all, I'm really enjoying it (it was funny, for instance, how they set up disaster flags for the fishing trip in the beginning, but then everything went smoothly). Also, usual Horii's combination of wacky humor and soul crashing tragedy and I have a feeling I haven't seen anything yet.

So I guess you just got done with Dharma, AKA literally the worst part?

loving game double-loving you out of combat power

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah, Hustle is just a great skill. 0-MP full party heal spell? Don't mind if I do!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I wrote around 70 of those idiotic gags over a weekend for $300 since the original translator made a total mess of them.

Do you remember some of the most mangled ones, or are they lost to time?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The princess is, in fact, just kinda useless yeah. Aside from being able to use healing magic.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Shame the source of the gag took what should've been the best healer by far and made him a huge liability for bosses in the original DQ4. Half the party dead and the other half almost there? Guess I better cast Beast on Necrosaro a few more times! :downs:

It really is a wonder that anyone actually finished that game on the NES.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The most fun I had with 7 was years afterwards when I was emulating it. The game is so very grindy that having a turbo function really makes all the difference in the world.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Eight is real good.

I would say 2 is the worst because holy crap is that absolutely-mandatory one tile island a dick move. I know you get told about it but it's trivially easy to miss.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

DACK FAYDEN posted:

3 GBC has the second bonus dungeon, which the SNES version doesn't, but it's a huge grind to get to and not really worth it.

Lord the monster medal drop rates are just the worst thing :suicide:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

I have no idea what that is and I'm glad I'm not familiar with it if drop rates are involved.

They were a thing in the GBC remake of 3. Sometimes you would find a monster medal for one of the monsters you fought. There was a second bonus dungeon that was entirely about collecting the drat things. It was terrible.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

FinalTitan posted:

A big plus is that you will spend far less gold to equip them than Warriors.

Correct me if I'm misremembering, but aren't these just used as items anyway, meaning anyone can use them for those effects whether equipped or not?

Yeah you don't need to equip them to use them. Just have them in the character's inventory and select "use" in battle.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I think the "hardest" end boss in the series was 6. Stupid hands reviving each other and the main body :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Would it be better to play 8 or 9 after I'm done with Joker 2.

8 is a much more modern game with characters. 9 is much more like 3 in that you create your party out of nowhere. Also it's basically your dad telling you puns. All the time. Nonstop.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Moltrey posted:

Ey what's good, my dudes?

So I've been pretty stoked about the 3DS remake of 7 for a good bit, but I also just learned it had a job system like a week ago. I've never actually played a DQ with a job system tho, only played 1, 2 and 5 and really enjoyed em. I love a good job system, but for some reason Dragon Quest with that system is crazy for me to wrap my head around. I've got people on both sides telling me that 6 or 7 is the better place for to start with that, is there any actual consensus or like, does it really matter, just do whatever?

This is long post for a just "Yo which one of these games" post sorry, thanks though!

Honestly the 6 and 7 job systems are mechanically the same system, 7's is just... bigger.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Draile posted:

The best Dragon Quest bad ending is on the NES when the battery glitches and erases all your saves and the game announces that you are screwed to the cursed item sound effect.

Authentically still there for the GBC remakes!! :smithicide:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Was the single tile island with the absolutely mandatory shrine on it even particularly visible on the pack-in map for 2?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Unmature posted:

It's been a while since I've played a Dragon Quest so I forget. Is this an RPG where when the MC dies, but other party members are still alive, you lose?

I don't think Dragon Quest has had an actual lose condition after the soft-lock in NES DQ1

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I decided to play the DQ1 remake on the phone and holy lol I forgot that there's literally nothing to do after getting the harp but grind until you can handle the poo poo further south

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I really like 7 :shobon:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

... actually being honest, disc 1 is the part of 7 I really like. Just going to all the sealed off parts of the world, solving their problems, and fixing the world.

It does get kinda boring once Orgodemir actually shows up.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

"Cool, you just got to the end of the grueling dungeon! Congratulations! Now, the enemies between you and the next healing/save point just got even stronger!" - Dragon Quest 2

Which is, I suppose, still marginally better than Dragon Quest 4 with the literal fake safe spot that's actually a boss battle in essentially the same situation

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Recycle Bin posted:

Just beat 2. I grinded a few more levels and got in to a good heal/attack routine with the final boss. The iOS version takes away his healAll spell so it's not completely agonizing. Now on to 3! Anyone have some general tips/tricks i should know going in?

I think the GBC did as well. It did not take it away from the third of the castle's mini-bosses though which resulted in it being probably a harder fight than the final boss :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Professor of Cats posted:

[Walks in circles in the mountains for hours in order to grind levels to not die immediately 4 steps over]

*: Beware of bridges!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm probably grabbing XI on 3ds because that's the thing I actually own :v:

I've been replaying through the Monsters games and for some reason decided to go 2 then 1 which let me really break the game over my knee by breeding Literally Anything with my supercritters from 2

And despite this, that loving battlerex managed to last three (!) full rounds from poo poo bred with level 99 boss family monsters that started with 200+ in each stat. It was trivial but what a difficulty spike :catstare:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

an actual dog posted:

I just had a thought about how amazing a Builders game based on Dragon Quest 7 would be and I wanted to share it with people who'd understand.

I'm the crazy person around here who thinks 7 is the best. Last time I brought that up someone brought up the point that it's basically the most Dragon Quest of all the games which can be both good and bad (I love it).

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Does it play the cursed item sound when the save is corrupted?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Got a PS4 for Christmas.

When the hell is Dragon Quest 11 coming out in English? :sigh:

some time this year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

The only one I've played on the phone is Dragon Quest 1 and I learned that I hate virtual d-pad. A lot. Especially how it's movable for some god forsaken reason.