Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Indeed. It's somewhat refreshing that a JRPG actually makes you do some work in the thinking up of characters in this day 'n age and (at least in the case of 9, I really of want to hope that it'll become a series mainstay, same with the DQ 8/9 Battle Estetics, at least for the mainline titles) Equipment makes a noticeable change to your character above the standard "+10 Defence, Lighting Resist".

I can remember plenty of moments where I could have accounted for exactly what my party would have thought a that moment.

And I've shat on where Final Fantasy has gone so many times that I'm out of utter vitriol to say about that series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

Their one page reviews include some of the laziest writing I've seen, probably written by interns or new editors. I can sum up Deadly Premonition's review.

I was anticipating this game but not really.

Story doesn't make sense.

Bad controls. Bad camera.

PS2 graphics.

Too long.

This game is dumb.

2 out of 10
See also; God Hand

Game is hard, wah.

3 out of 10

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Bought the US version of 6, gently caress Nintendo and their lovely European Localisation team.

On a more areodite note, who's wanting the Nintendo Points?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Feb 22, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

fromagex posted:

I'd love them.

Righto, gimme a sec to figure out the logistics of this and I'll wing them too you.

Edit: and the deed is done.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Feb 22, 2011

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Blaine the Train posted:

I think he's referring to the fact that DQVI is still TBA in Europe.

This.

And their Region nonsense for the 3DS
and their awful uptake of DSIWare
and their laughable handling of Inazuma Eleven in the UK
and a million other crimes against common sense.

But I digress.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd buy this, but if Nintendo insists on pulling another loving Jedward stunt, It can take this and shove it right up their rear end.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Awesomonster posted:

man, I'd put up with whatever stupid poo poo Nintendo wants to do to market it as long as we get it. I'm not gonna hold my breath, though.

Me too, but Jedward more or less murdered DQ 9 over here and to be perfectly blunt, it's all but one more point on the rather weighty doctrine of Nintendo's Crimes against Europe.

Or, to put it in less insane talk; I'd put up with a lot of poo poo, but Jedward crossed the loving line.

Also, is DQ 6 out in the UK? Because if it is, no one's bothered to tell me, that's for sure!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Terpfen posted:

Came out on the 20th per Wikipedia.

I know that. My point is Nintendo Europe did gently caress all to even admit it exists.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Hum, I've got nothing against MMORPGs but I've already had my one with Phantasy Star Online.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Levantine posted:

Well that's bullshit. I was waiting for the other shoe to drop. If I were able to play this like I did IX then I would have been on board from day 1. Shoot, even with the random mooks I created I still had a blast and thought the story was pretty decent in IX. I find myself really bummed out about DQX.

Yeah, that's 'bout the size of it for me. Still, this is the excuse I need to finaly get started on the DS Advance Trilogy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I would have gone for another game using the IX structure with Nintendo WiFi replacing local multiplayer.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Adam Bowen posted:

Are you picturing Reggie sitting in an EVIL tower twirling his mustache and laughing maniacally as he prevents another RPG from being published, or what? As much as I hate this justification sometimes, it's a business and business don't generally set out to lose money. None of those games would have sold well over here, especially not on the Wii, and anyone who knows anything at all about the games industry knows that. Operation Rainfall (I feel lame just typing that, loving nerds) had what, 10k signatures or so? That's significantly less than 1/10th of 1% of total Wii owners. You seem to be casting it as this gigantic uprising of unhappy Nintendo customers when it was clearly an extremely loud minority.
You give Reggie far too much credit, at this point, he is the right hand that doesn't know anything, let alone what the left (NCL) is doing whilst being being kicked sore by the foot (NOE).

You know a good way of losing money? Not selling games (That's you making no Money) and then pissing off the same audience you're trying to get again after short shifting them for a causal audience who, on average, has one game for their Wii Fit/Sports/Dance machine and will probably not follow onto buying the next Wii.
The percentage of project rainfall signatories might be small, but if you take away the One Game Wonders who will not (at this point, for all I know there will be a casual supergame that will pull them in) buy a Wii U and that percentage suddenly gets a lot bigger.

Xenoblade sold perfectly fine (and, more to the point Sold Out, as far as I'm aware. Suggesting an Atlus Low Print Run, the Right strategy for this situation) in Europe and the only loss Nintendo of America are making at this point is in the far more precious commonalty known as PR.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

It sucks that the version we get isn't the improved rerelease that Japan got though. Why wouldn't they just translate and give us that?

Are we really getting Vanilla DQMJ2? I thought we were getting the Professional Re-release just named DQMJ2 for simplicity's sake.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

iastudent posted:

Whoa wait, they did that? What changes did they make from the first version?
100 or so monsters and extra areas, according to Wikipedia.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'd play 7 but I really don't want to sit though the length of a tales game to get to the actual meat of the exercise.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

I agree on your former point. The halcyon days of "let's localize everything that hits DS" are long over. But the latter... U.S. Dragon Quest localizations have been lagging by about a year from their Japanese releases since Square Enix decided to get the ball rolling again. So assuming they keep to that schedule going into the future, there's plenty of time for Terry's Wonderland to come over before DQVII. In fact, there's time for it to come over without it even being announced for localization prior to E3.
Well, knowing how S-E works on these things, there needs to be a release of a Terry's Wonderland DX so S-E can not bring that one out over here.

I don't know if it was Nintendo or S-E who made that wonderful decision with J2 but whoever it is needs a swift and painful kick up the rear.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

YggiDee posted:

But if they shut down the servers, then I can't download the quests or the characters.

If I remember rightly enough if you link with someone with the quests and characters, you get thier stuff.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Avan rules because after saving the world he just goes back to being a giant dork (and training new heroes).

I'm glad they decided to do the updated anime because it's fun to watch and the modern animation work using a bunch of character designs that are very clearly from the 80s is real funny. Hopefully they just run it non-stop until completion since there's a lot of story left to go.

Speaking of, how's the show?

I tried to keep up with it weekly but I put it on the backburner when it was clear it was going to be a slow burn and probably less frustrating to watch for me on a Season / Arc by Arc basis.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

If this mysterious description just meant 30% more boob jokes, I'd be 130% into it

It still ends with the mc not getting an puff puff though. We have a comedy staple to maintain.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Toei is very hit or miss, that said even they aren't stupid enough to piss SE, Shuesha and the DQ fandom off at the same time.