Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SlimeSanction posted:

I'm worried about the online aspect of DQX. I don't play MMORPGs, is it possible to play the game without paying a monthly bill? I went ahead and pre-ordered the Slime keyboard made for DQX, because I need various Slime items to live.

Going by Square-Enix's last two attempts at online games (FF11 and 14) I would expect an online DQ game made by them to be a similar trainwreck where the subscription should be the least of your worries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So you start as a human and then after some event you make your non-human character from a handful of races that double as your classes and don't seem to have any relation to any past Dragon Quest stuff?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

How's Joker 2? Played the first one which seemed alright but online play was useless because most fights I found were against creatures with impossible stats.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

voltron lion force posted:

That's cool... but I thought everyone always said 7 sucks?

DQ7 is amazing, but it's long and stuck to the sprite-based design which had people crying because it wasn't 3D like FF7 and others. Getting to the top end classes can be brutal though. I think there was a summoner class that took something like 2300 battles to reach and master, while Godhand was in the 1500 range?

I loved the game but it's easily the longest Dragon Quest out there. The biggest complaint I saw wasn't that it was long, but that finding shards was a massive pain in the rear end at times, since some were only visible when you rotated the camera or were in vague locations. Other people bitched that it took about an hour from start until first battle.

I wouldn't say DQ7 has a lot of difficulty though, but it depends on how you setup your characters and their classes.

Himuro posted:

No way, it totally has bad pacing. If it takes over 30 hours to unlock the class system, that's terrible pacing. It's like how in Final Fantasy XIII you had to play 20 hours to change party leader/pick any paradigm/actually poo poo that's not the story. Except in FFXIII's case, this means it takes half the game.

Pretty sure I unlocked Dharma at around 15-20 hours the first time I played it.

I definitely spent the next 5-10 grinding jobs though. Hard to say no to Marabel as a sage with the Hero as a maxxed Battlemaster working on Paladin (and Gabbo a paladin working on battlemaster). Dual Godhands and 1-2 sages for the end game? :getin:

Plus it doesn't have any sort of brick wall boss like Mudo in DQ6 who was just a giant gently caress You to players since he was right before Dharma, yet was harder than the next boss or two.

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Also yeah the thing was hella grindy. I have still never beat it, technically, because 180 hours in I'm in the endgame and I didn't optimize my jobs enough so I have to go into the final dungeon (the only place in the game where enemies give me job XP anymore) and beat on things for a bit to try and get new skills and every time I do the loading times per battle and pace kill me and that dungeon is so huge and ugh.

I don't think I've even seen the endboss' final form, and the last save point is somewhere around a half hour of gameplay away from him, from memory. Outside the dungeon.

I'm not sure how this is possible. If you were grinding that much you'd have to have at least a handful of the 2nd tier classes unlocked for characters even if you didn't get GodHand/Summoner/Superstar(?) for anyone. At a high level you can beat the final boss using intermediate classes but if you got the advanced ones it does help. I think I beat it using 2 Godhands, a Ranger, and a Sage. I forgot their levels but it wasn't very high as most of my job grinding was done right outside of Dharma.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I think I'd found 3 or 4 hearts during my DQ7 playthrough. I always figured they were more or less nonsense but I guess if someone's lucky on drops they could spend a lot of time on them. I just remember having a friend tell me how they spent a few weeks getting PlatKing for some ungodly reason. I guess it helped with the postgame stuff.

Doing a playthrough using just monster classes seems like it'd make for an interesting challenge but it'd probably be boring as gently caress, too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

A DQ3 remake would almost certainly result in the classes being overhauled. Kind of a shame if that happens because whle they're simple they were fairly balanced* although adding another claw for Fighters would be nice since it started to hurt them late in the game.

A remake will probably give them skills like in DQ6+, if not add tiers and more classes like 6 and 7.

*except merchants, and technically goof-offs since their biggest perk (other than insane luck) was at level 20.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I honestly don't like DQ9's class system that much. Having a system like in 6, but with some more monster classes, setup in a non-retarded way (like DQ7) would be ideal.

The only real benefit of DQ9's system was in keeping you from having a party with every ability in the game at the same time. Adding a few classes would mean turning DQ3's system in to DQ6's system. Using 8 or 9's system drastically changes how the game works. To some extent the people working on DQ6 knew/expected that there would be people doing stuff like leveling 3 sages until they have every spell, then changing some/all of them in to Fighter and Soldier builds because having access to stuff like Boom and Firevolt as well as HealAll and Revive was insane.

Even just having Bikill a Soldier or Fighter shortly after hitting Dharma made a big difference in difficulty. Spells like Defense/Sap were handy too but that's what the Orochi Sword was for.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

3's class system was more breakable than any of its successors'. If I remember correctly, changing classes means you keep all your spells, and revert to level 1 with all your stats halved (not reduced to what they were at level 1!).

stats were halved however they were taken in to account when you started leveling again. Going from Pilgrim to Wizard had you getting a lot less MP/int, if any, compared to a newly created level 1 wizard.

Overall I think you ended up stronger stat-wise, but keep in mind that 6 and 7 had you keep all skills from other classes as well and the only difference was the bonus stats you had when using a maxxed class.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

This one time my newly minted cleric gained 25 HP at level 2.

What version of DW3 is this? Did someone finally translate the SNES version?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Wendell posted:

Yeah, dawg! Almost exactly three years ago, even. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1323/

I didn't realize it'd been so long since I visited that site (among others). Time to see what other games I can finally play. :unsmith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

What was the problem with 7's encounter rate? It wasn't any noticeably different from most other DQ games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The "break all pots" activity in Dragon Quest games was nothing but a warm-up for what they did in Blue Dragon. Not only can you search drat near every single loving thing, but they almost always have a couple gold or some cheap item instead of nothing, while a few here and there will give something useful (not that finding thousands of gold over time isn't handy).

Unoriginal posted:

So I just decided to start playing the Dragon Quest series for the first time despite being a life long RPG fan. I was aware of Dragon Warrior back in the day but never had the opportunity to play it so I was always a Final Fantasy fan. But Final Fantasy sucks now and it looks like Dragon Quest is everything I always wanted Final Fantasy to be. Starting with IV, but looking forward to working my way up through whichever ones I can play on my 3DS. I can't believe it took me this long to try it out.

You should start with 3 but unless you find a ROM your only options would be NES or GBC.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Those are called fyggs!

Having a lot of fun with Dragon Quest IX, finished the story and onto having Metal King Slimes flee from every battle. Any tips for bringing them down?

Give everyone Thunder Thrust and get all the +agility/deftness you can. Faster classes will end up going before them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Dragon Quest 7 is the first game I ever went and looked up in a walk through because of some of those drat shards. The Suikoden games only reinforced the habit because stumbling around to find vague people (Clive :mad:) was just as bad at times. DQ7 giving hints for where the next shard is sounds like a good change.

Himuro posted:

gently caress yes. And you get those nothings to collect!

God, I'd forgotten about those drat things.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Unless you get Gabo and the Hero trained up as battlemasters and Marabel going in to Sage.

Then you just quad hit and explodet the gently caress out of everything while working the first two up as paladins to become Godhands. :hellyeah::black101:
Then you lose her and get Melvin and realize he sucks and oh god why did you have to lose a good caster at that point jesus christ this old guy's awful.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Or Dragon Quest 1-3 for the SNES. :argh:

I don't suppose there's been any sort of word on Dragon Quest XI yet? Like something on 3DS using a beefed up DQ9 engine and containing less British slang and bad puns?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

yeah the post-game and legacy boss stuff seemed cool until I looked up a FAQ and saw how mind-blowingly grindy it was. Hope you like 2-5% drop rates on items you'd need dozens of to create other things. The old pictures of people with 500+ hours of gameplay not being close to 100% completion was not a joke. :psyduck:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That's pretty much what I did. Once I could unlock classes I got metal slash on my characters and got them to level 11-13 in about 5 different classes before continuing on with the game. I only spent what I knew I'd want to use on character (100 in to sword on main character) and when I unlocked gladiator I was able to dump about 90 points in to it from the start. Did sort of the same with Paladin when I eventually got it.

The main game is fun, the end game makes me want to copy my save file to my PC and edit it to have a few dozen of every item so thatI can just go fight the legacy bosses for fun and call it a day.

Not even sure how you'd beat some of them when they're level 99 without relying entirely on luck and a lot of paladin coup de grace usage since high level legacy bosses can do party wide attacks that hit for hundreds of damage and get 2+ attacks (I think some end up with 4?).

Still, was worth buying for the main game and the engine needs to be used more, with multiplayer being extended to wifi. It's a perfect way of doing a multiplayer turn-based RPG.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Did we play the same Xenoblade? It doesn't have a world map.

It does, but you only see it the first time you reach an area since there isn't much use for one other than that.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Doug Dinsdale posted:

What, no. The PS1 version is well nigh unplayable because of frequent freezes and crashes.
It also lets players go on past a place you can't return to which has a shard...meaning one can't finish the game.

The 3DS remake is beautiful with vastly enhanced graphics. It also hasn't crashed once yet, and I'm around 70 hours in.
It's no contest, the PS1 version sucks.

I've done a couple playthroughs of the game and I might've had one system freeze/crash in what was likely 120-140 hours of gameplay. What 'stuck' part are you referring to anyways? I can't recall a shard that was in an area you'd get locked out of.

You should be saving across multiple slots either way though, that's pretty much RPG 101 stuff because and when you forget it for the first time and can't get a boss drop or something you'll start remembering it better.

Wendell posted:

I actually just meant in regard to the non-"cute" graphics. Dragon Quest VII was infamously hideous upon release, and making a game that looks like it today would be bizarre.

Pretty much all the complaints I recall for this game on PS1 were things like "it's 2d sprites and not wonderful 3D models like FF7 had, why does Enix hate fun and pretty graphics please don't pay attention to how good the sprites actually look especially battle animations. :qq:"

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

If you're class changing often then saying nobody's about 25 might not mean much if they've all got 3-4x the points to spend as a result. I mean I maxxed out swords on my main character as soon as class changing opened up and aside from minstrel his highest level at the time was 12.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Getting the Masayuki map IS insane. I can't begin to think of how many dozens if not hundreds of hours that map shaved off my playtime thanks to getting it (3 times) at PAX and then promptly making sure the few people I knew who played it got it from me. It's easily 50-100x faster than Slime Hill or anything else.

Leveling never seemed like an issue in DQ7 to me but anything that gets the hero and Gabo to being mastered Godhands is welcome.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Gloam posted:

Oh man, good times... I remember bringing my DS to Toronto Comicon just for the hell of it. I was beside myself at the end of the day when the map popped up! Maxed out all my little dudes and dudettes; that map alone pushed my playtime past 200 hours.

I just remember flying home from PAX and deciding "hey I'm going to try the map out". By the time I'd gotten home (west to east coast flight) my party went from being something like 48-49 to level 99 in their 'main' classes with a handful of others being level 40+ and characters having hundreds and hundreds of points to spend. Lightning Thrust and Spear usage for everybody.

Robotic Accolade posted:

Someone traded me a crazy map that has a ton of Platinum Kings in it: I think they either got around the low spawn rate by making the main monster the one right before Platinum King in the list and adding Platinum King as one of the secondary registered monsters, but it could just be a hacked map. In either case it made leveling to 99 fairly trivial.

Of course, someone ELSE linked a most-likely hacked map with some weird metal puppet monster at level 54 and a message along of the lines of "See if you can clear it!". drat things have several hundred HP, maxed metal resistances, and unlike slimes they hit hard! Oh, and the drat dungeon also spans death-spell spamming Pandora Boxes.

If the Plat Kings were the only enemy showing up on one of the floors further down (10? It's been awhile) then you got the map we're talking about. It's a wonderful, wonderful map.

Unmature posted:

Is there a chance that it won't come out? DQ9 did great, right? And the DS remakes went to second printings on at least one or two of them.

It sold something like a million copies in the US and Europe. While that's still only a fraction of the number sold in Japan, which had over 2 million preorders.

However DQ7's remake coming to the US would depend more on how the other remakes have done I'd imagine. DQ7 and DQ9 are pretty hugely different games.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DQ3 was amazing both in the amount of poo poo that was in the game and how it ended. Even if the game had ended with Baramos it would've been as long as some other RPGs can get to be. By the time DQ6 came out they had their design down to a science but then they tried to stretch it a bit too much in DQ7, which a lot of people didn't like (I liked it personally) and DQ8 was very much a Square influenced game. I never finished it because the fights just felt like they dragged on and it all felt rather boring after awhile.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yes, get DQIX. If you have friends that play DQ games and own a DS they should get it too and you guys can just play through the game together.

I hope you like awful British humor/puns though, because the guys who translated tried to make almost everything in to a pun. That's pretty much the only downside to the game. If you decide to start farming grotto bosses for gear in the late/post game look up the Hoimi Table and save yourself a lot of time on drop rates.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

While this is true, for whatever reason, I just never cared about IX. I don't know why. I can go back and play pretty much any other DQ game and love it still, but I try to play IX and I just lose all interest for some reason. I haven't figured out what it is about that game that just makes me not enjoy it.

The godawful translation was the worst part for me. I liked the gameplay and the co-op mechanic was what I'd been praying for in RPGs since I was 9 or 10 so seeing someone finally make it happen was nice.

I'm also not sure how anyone could say DQIX is the biggest departure when DQX is an MMO. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Arcaeris posted:

Is anyone else playing in the DQX PC beta? I just started, I'd like to get in with some goons.

Is there an English patch of some king?

Also why do I have a horrible feeling your title has something to do with some weird game like Idolmaster? :ohdear:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Calaveron posted:

I'm not gonna sperg that hard but I can still access the treasure maps and some of the legacy bosses, right?

The good boss drops are a 2% drop. Gaming the system via the Hoimi table takes 1-2 minutes.

As much as the shop closing down sucks, the important thing is that if you go to a convention and find people doing the visit stuff that you make sure to get the locker maps, or the power leveling one at the least. Having a map where one floor's nothing but Metal King spawns (they can have non-metal king allies in fights) is huge. It can save dozens (if not hundreds) of hours of grinding if you're looking to max out classes on your characters.

Leofish posted:

Yeah, it's a bit odd. It kind of reminds me of the trick in Pokemon Platinum to guarantee a shiny egg that involves tapping the touch screen a certain insane number of times and hopping on your bike or something.

:aaaaa: I never did get around to beating Platinum, and now if I play it again I'll be doing this too much (if it actually works) to do so.

e: quick google search doesn't give much but some vague posts and a dead link to some other site?

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 17, 2013

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

If you can share this over wi-fi I'll give it to everyone. It's a lot of fun and really does cut down on the grind. (Then you decide you need to max out every skill and keep the grind alive, but that's better than being forced to.)

It's only shared by being physically near someone while in the share mode, which makes a lot of sense for the target market of Japan but not so much for everywhere else. PAX Prime having an area for DQ9 a few years back was handy though. You could walk around and have your max tags after a few minutes, re-enter the tag mode, and repeat. After awhile you'd risk getting the same people again because the game's memory of past meetings is finite.

I think my counter for players met is in the 150-200 range. Outside of a convention I imagine tags will be pretty rare even if you're passing by fairly active areas.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SereneCrimson posted:

You guys REALLY wanted to play Dragon Quest 8 on your phone... right?

:negative:
Of course this gets to happen, but we can't get a drat localization of 7 on 3DS.

Can't wait to pay :20bux: or more for each of these games! Maybe we'll be double lucky and they'll also use recolored FFD sprites like they did in FF5 and are likely to do in FF6's iOS port this winter. :shepface:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SereneCrimson posted:

Dragon Quest 1 & 2 for Mobile has received ESRB rating
Link has some screens (I think it looks pretty lovely to be honest)

Guess we'll be getting at least a few in NA. Maybe not all 8.

It's truly amazing just how bad Square is at releasing mobile ports of their past games without making them look like complete poo poo.

Draile posted:

Dragon Quest II is a much better game structurally. The original's big weakness is that it is brutally and unfairly hard, which is something that's easy to fix in a port.

In Dragon Quest once you have sleep you can beat the Green Dragon to rescue the princess and you can kill the Axe Knight to get Edrick's Armor.

When you hit the level cap (not too terribly hard since it was like 25 or something?) instead of telling you your next level the king tells you you should already be strong enough to beat the Dragonlord. You then proceed to walk through his castle, using Healmore every now and then, and then beating him to death with the occasional Healmore once you're fighting the Rainbow Dragon. I'm pretty sure I was 7 or 8 when I beat Dragon Quest. Sure Dragon Quest 2 was easier, but the first one was not a difficult game unless you're comparing it to today's hand-holding maybe. It was harder than some FF1 team compositions, but compared to other games like Bard's Tale and Wizardry it's a joke of a challenge.

Now if you want to talk about a hard game, try Ninja Gaiden when you're 6 years old. Or 16, or 26, it doesn't matter because the Hall of Brahm is harder than some of the poo poo in Battletoads and if you die to a boss you go back to the beginning of the entire level so I hope you enjoyed playing long enough to memorize things like those loving birds coming down from the top of the screen like a comet when you're jumping over pits. :suicide:

Bongo Bill posted:

Dragon Quest II isn't too hard, but it's damned inconvenient. To bring it up to speed with the rest of the series, it would need some means of fast travel.

Like the Return spell, or Wings of the Wyvern?

The addition of the Bag in later games (DQ5 and onward?) was a wonderful thing though. Especially in DQ4 because now Taloon could take over 99 Swords of Malice in to Chapter 5 instead of 8 or so, ensuring you will never want for money again. :retrogames:

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Wait people think Dragon Quest 2 isn't too hard?
Cave to Rhodes was one of the most frustrating experiences in an RPG I ever had.

I don't remember it being that bad. I think Necrogond in DQ3 was worse the first time I went through, since I didn't have DQ3's in-box-walkthrough (which didn't mention secrets like Goof-offs become sages without a book of Satori, but hinted at them having a really good thing) but thankfully a friend had one so I didn't have to trial and error Baramos's castle too much as a kid.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The skeletons that attacked twice and cast defense were my bane. I usually had hero/soldier(ex-fighter)/Sage(ex pilgrim)/Sage(ex goof-off) as a party so they destroyed the ghosts before they could act, but if you ran in to some skeletons and the first one fired off defense then they took a few swings at a sage, dead sage.

If/when they release DQ3 for mobile they just need to do the following:
- Use the SNES version
- Don't stretch the game like they look to have done to 1/2. Add an artsy border or something instead
- Sell the game for $5-10
- Upgrade the casinos (add slots and/or poker, let the arena do double or nothing on winnings)

For their additional cash-grab monitizaion they could just sell a couple unlocks like:
- Create sages in Allahan
- The gold ticket for the board game mini game. (lets you play the game an infinite amount, I think it's the grand prize in the final game's location?)
- Soldiers get Metal Masher/Slash from DQ6, meaning you can shred metal slimes/babbles instead of relying on crits or BeDragon (assuming it still bypassed defense in the SNES version)
- Class changing doesn't cut stats in half
- Hero can class change (only they can CC back to hero, icon never changes)

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^ I hope it comes over here, but the DQM games don't seem to catch on anywhere close to the degree Pokemon does. It's a shame because DQM Joker was fun on the DS and really only lost its luster with the usual horrifically tedious post game grinding. DQ9's really bad for it too but I managed to snag the map with the metal king floor in it, and I imagine that saved me dozens if not hundreds of hours of potential grinding.

Bongo Bill posted:

1&2 was made with the same quality assets as 5, whereas 3 was made from the sort of things 6 was. 5 is not a pretty game, but 6 is gorgeous.

Going to second this. DQ6's style is amazing and the DQ3 remake for the Super Famicom is the version to play if you want to replay the game. It adds a few things to the game, including a mini game you can play and if lucky/patient/use save states), you can get some nice bonuses for your character on the attribute squares. You need a ticket to play but I think there's an infinite use ticket you can get at the end of the game.

Also the music for the 16 bit version is fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKRSrCP7SeE

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Lots of people could not stand the way the DS Dragon Quest localizations used accents all over the place. They are wrong, but I fear they outnumber us, so we've got to stick together.

DQ4's accents were horrific and anyone who thought that was a good translation is a bad person, I'll take some thou and thee usage over that mess any day. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Potsticker posted:

DQ9 is DQ3 with modern graphics, almost straight up. I feel like I got lost somewhere along the way in the numbered series because 5-8 were just not my thing, then 9 comes out and it's the sort of classic DQ that I felt the series had drifted away from.

You really need to go play DQ6. If there's a successor to DQ3's layout (and class system) it's DQ6. DQ7 goes a bit too far with class complexities but its still is also pretty nice.

Alternately, play the SFamicom DQ3 remake because it's DQ3 with solid graphics, animation, and music.

Mister Roboto posted:

A game where all of your teammates are actually alternate versions of you is actually an interesting concept.

DQ9 missed a great chance.

Play it with 3 other people. Your party is actually just other celestials who aren't stupid or Tien from Dragonball Z. When I played it with friends it basically ended up as Gohan, Bulma, pseudo-Krillin, and some generic NPC saving the world. :angel:

BabyRyoga posted:

Let's talk order of best to worst

III - The classic, series-off-the-ground quintessential Dragon Quest
IX - Good fusion of classic Dragon Quest job system with poor DQ8 system fixed it's problems, modernized w/ download content and loads of endgame stuff (for now)
VII - Better version of DQ6, 3DS remake gets rid of kinks w/ pieces and adds more content
VI - Most grindy DQ, turning point between old DQ and modern DQ
IV - More story driven DQ, low due to losing out the nostalgia battle (NES 4 had crippling AI problems, so it loses out to NES 3)
VIII - Modernized DQ aesthetically, but job system was kicked back several pegs and felt too much like old DQ
V - A combination of DQ3 and 4, didn't really add much to the series
I - Dated classic
II - Taking the first game and making it more complex, difficulty issues, etc

Disagreements? All versions are considered to be their respective remakes, which are all better than the originals.

Edit: I should list reasons

I see you left out DQX. That was probably for the best. I'm not sure how you consider DQ6 grindy and DQ7 improved upon. DQ7 was long as gently caress and you fought all along the way. I'd probably put 7 below 4. The NES AI problems were bad but they were fixed up in remakes and you could also just go with manual control if you wanted.

DQ8's job system was a new layout, which DQ9 combined with the DQ3 job system more or less. It's interesting but I'd take DQ 6 or 7's systems over 9's given the choice.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Vakal posted:

I wish DQ8 also would have had a better item crafting system.

Even if you knew all the item recipes and went out of your way to start making things as soon as you could get the required components, usually you'd just end up with gear only slightly better than what you'd have through normal play at that point.

The Zombie Slasher(?) you can make using some store-bought weapon and a gold rosary(?) was a nice upgrade, and throwing herbs together for those souped-up healing items was handy early on at least.

There was also the tension-building item that I think you could make multiples of? It was still an awful system though. DQ9's was better for when you wanted to go and use it a few times at least.

BabyRyoga posted:

7 on the 3DS is too fresh in my head to remember how the original was. Basic jobs level up like 3 times as fast in the remake, which makes the grinding much more tolerable. Also, it means you can do all your basic jobs first then just do 3 or 4 advanced ones in a row.

I think getting to God Hand took around 1500 fights in the original while some other class was closer to 2500, so if it's 3x faster just for the basic classes that's welcome since if you didn't grind you'd be hard-pressed to get very far on advanced classes. And the sooner you have a fully developed sage, the better. :hellyeah:

Wendell posted:

If you make a list of "best Dragon Quests" and don't have V at least near the top you should be banned from making lists.

DQ5 had some neat stuff, like with your main character and your kids, but it was really just a stepping stone to DQ6. It introduced some new and cool stuff like the monster taming, but stuck to DQ$'s dead-set class setup. I will say that the first time I played DQ5 on an emulator it seemed like the AI for your party was simply too good. Like there were times where I'd get in to a boss fight, a freak critical would kill someone and then another person would immediately revive them, while in DQ4 all that would happen is Cristo would cast Defeat for the 39084934745th time and watch it fail like it did every previous round against the boss. :sigh:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Potsticker posted:

You're going to have to explain this one a bit more, because looking at it, 6 seems to be pretty endemic of the types of things that put me off of DQ until 9.
The short version is:

DQ3's class system was a basic "generics can switch classes at lvl 20, keeping skills/spells but taking a hit to stats. One class gets a special upgrade." (goofoff-->sage without needing the book) There were basic classes and 1 advanced class, sage.

DQ6 took the groundwork of generic classes and added a second layer to it, while letting them detach a bit from your actual level/stats which reduced the grind-back-to-useful factor if nothing else. You could now level classes and unlock advanced ones through different combinations, rather than the unique goof-off to sage setup in DQ3. You now had your core of basic classes, plus several advanced ones. Also the standalone monster class types.

DQ7, being the complex beast it was, added yet another layer to all the classes. You had 3 tiers for the player clases now instead of two, plus the clusterfuck of monster class types, which were still rare and a pain to deal with getting.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I thought he was just really confused about who Alena and Cristo were. :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

We got DQ9 and I don't think we're really losing out by not getting DQ10. Lack of the DQ7 DS remake is annoying though.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

The only reason you should play a game on a phone is if you're in a situation where having a table simply isn't an option. And even then you should just buy a 3DS(or 2DS) and play games on that. Especially a game that is a remake/port of something that wouldn't be played fine almost entirely with a mouse (FTL, Xcom..etc).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Crimson Harvest posted:

If you can't hear Yangus' oath "Cor blimey" what's the point.

It means you can't hear Annoyed Scullery Maid Jessica either so it's a fair trade.