Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Syrg Sapphire posted:

It's kind of up in the air unless someone has harder facts. I know DQ5 got a tiny run since DQ4 didn't sell so hot, but they changed publishers (from Square to Nintendo) and I don't know if they're operating on "DQ5 didn't sell too hot" logic or "DQ9 was a good job, let's keep pushing the brand".

What's the point of spending a small fortune on translation and other localization issues only to make a small run?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

LooseChanj posted:

So what console am I gonna have to buy to play 10?

Wikipedia claims it will be released on the Wii, but I wouldn't be surprised if Squenix cancel that and do the game for the 3DS.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Terpfen posted:

IGN’s Dragon Quest VI review is up. Summary: "It’s old so it sux lol.”

Actually, the way you phrased it, I expected something horrible typical of IGN. That was in fact pretty tame and mostly honest. Not everyone is going to enjoy DQVI and it's in fact not as good as DQV, which is what the reviewer based its score on.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Volitaire posted:

Why do so many people say this as if FF10 never happened?

Because as linear as 10 is (and it's a lot) it wasn't a loving corridor? You could backtrack occasionally, spend time talking with people on the places you visited, play around with your party and a bunch of other stuff.

13 is head straight, head straight, take a curve, head straight, cutscene. Rinse and repeat.

e: also, the linearity of 10 actually SERVED a purpose. You were on a journey with a final destination. The linearity of 13 was mostly due to bad planning and unfocused development between the different teams at Square.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 15, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

drat, they want me to pay shipping plus import fees that are nearly double the discounted price, oh well. drat you, Americans for getting such a great deal.

I wonder if they started reprinting DQV or if someone found a bunch of them stashed on some warehouse.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Leofish posted:

You haven't been reading the 3DS thread! Some people are considering thinking about looking at maybe getting one!

Blasphemy! We are just waiting for better games.

Please :ohdear:

Barry Convex posted:

Grain of salt: A generally well-connected NeoGAF member claims that SE has completely given up on the DQ series ever being commercially viable in the West, and has no intention of self-publishing even a mainline DQ entry again outside Japan. So basically, Western DQ fans would be completely hosed if the series ever returned to Sony platforms. Again, grain of salt.

A big grain of salt. DQIX sold like mad; DQVI is doing well too. Dragon Quest doesn't sell here like it does in Japan (where it's a national holiday every time there's a new one), but it sells good enough and SE needs the money.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 2, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

So, I can't understand half of what they are saying, just saw a neat trailer for DQX. What system is it on after all?

e: Wii MMO, gotcha. God knows how that's gonna work considering how bad Nintendo is at the Internet thing.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Himuro posted:

Level 5 has nothing to do with designing or writing Dragon Quest, that's pretty much Horii.

And that means it's gonna be good. I'm not holding hope it's coming West, though. Maybe if it was single player, not a MMO.

Also, kind of weird that after FFXI and FFXIV we now get an online main numbered Dragon Quest.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Sep 5, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

What are they saying about the Wii U?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Saito Producer's speech. There's going to be a WiiU version with better graphics as well!

Oh, I see. Neat, but where's my 3DS version with transfarring, uh, S-E? Where is it?

So, basically DQIX with better graphics and online play instead of that wireless stuff. Sounds pretty good to me.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Horii ended with "2012."

Policenaut posted:

I'll just wait for the WiiU version or something but yeah. Good!

Oh yeah, as it is, this is likely to be a U launch title. And then they will localize it in 2013 :woop:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Also, FFXI was and still is huge in Japan to the best of my knowledge. And DQX isn't even that type of MMO, it's a Dragon Quest game with online co-op and some silly stuff about your character's house.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

thetrin posted:

No dude. It is online. Whether that means a full MMO, or a Guild Wars style game with instanced fields isn't known, but it's not just DQ with online co-op. The game requires that you connect to the internet to even play the game beyond the tutorial. From there, yeah, you can just get some AI bros and go kick the poo poo out of golems and slimes, but it's not just DQIX for Wii. You better believe the quest structure, the way the story is told, and the structure of the game are heavily influenced by the fact that it is totally online.

I guess the closest comparison then really is Guild Wars; it's not like the Wii would be able to pull an entire MMO with hundreds of people online. Shame it's just not a better DQIX, though. That was indeed the impression I got from the conferece.

vvvvv that's what we all assumed it was, but guess it turned out different.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 5, 2011

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If they wanted to be cool they'd release a pseudo-NES version of the game for 3DS that let you transfer your character data from the console game.

But they wouldn't be able to charge you monthly fees for that one.

I can imagine how that meeting went:

"Hey, we are in the red. FFXIV was a huge loss and is not going to give us money any time soon."

"Maybe if we made another MMO?"

"FFXVI?"

"No, too soon."

"You guys, I got it! Dragon Quest!"

"Brilliant! Everyone buys that."

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

I'm dismayed by how much time I sank into FFXI years ago and how I still miss it terribly today.

It's still there and even getting the occasional new expansion.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Himuro posted:

I don't understand putting DQX on Wii/Wii U only? Wouldn't they make more money if it were also on pc?

Uh, no. Dragon Quest is gigantic in Japan. They declare it a holiday whenever a new game comes out. One thing that isn't gigantic in Japan, however, is the PC. Barely anyone owns one or considers it a gaming device, especially not to play their precious DQ.

It's just not profitable to make a PC version of it. Final Fantasy at least has/had a brand name popular enough in the West to justify a PC version of the MMOs. DQ doesn't.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Doug Dinsdale posted:

it's not as if the authorities declare a temporary national holiday.

That was hyperbole :).

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Also, "barely anyone owns [a PC]"?

This on the other hand wasn't. I was tired and meant barely anyone owns a PC for gaming. From what I hear the Japanese would rather play terrible games on smartphones than touch a computer for games. I don't know why this is, except for some explanation the PC is (or was) seen as the platform for hentai games and barely anything else. I assume you can offer more insight into this :shobon:.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Here's the entire Nintendo Direct that just happened solely focused on Dragon Quest X. If you are curious at all about this game it's worth watching the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5aoxtxge5M

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

There really isn't any word out about Terry's Wonderland heading West is there? Or the new Rocket Slime? Someone must hate money.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

It's just the Iphone game. If it was being ported anywhere, it would come out first in Japan and we would already know about it before them starting registering trademarks elsewhere. It's Dragon Quest -- Japan is and will always be the main market for this series.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Bloody hell, I've the worst luck. loving auto save in Dragon Quest Heroes 2 froze midway, and after rebooting the game both the autosave and all manual saves were corrupted! Was Lv 38 with the main character, which was probably halfway through the game and I sure as heck don't feel like repeating the whole thing. Thanks auto saves, you really are the best.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

PS4 saves are transferable between users? Or do you mean like the PC version? If it's the former, please do share. Really bummed out, was looking into continuing playing this weekend only for that poo poo to happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Chachi posted:

Petition to name this :slime: