Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Please tell me that we're getting the special edition PS4 with it. I've been thinking about buying one and that would send me over the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Has their been any news about either of the Monsters game remakes on the 3DS getting brought over? I'd buy either of them in a heartbeat but I haven't heard anything about them.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

mikeycp posted:

They basically remade the entire game and also made it much less of a slog, AFAIK.

Which also means that they redid at least parts of the script, so just putting the old translation in isn't going to work.

Even if they hadn't changed the script I think any good translation studio would go over the Japanese script anyways and compare it to the old translation to make sure there weren't errors/new localisation inconsistencies. And at that point you're doing the same amount of work translating either way.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In Training posted:

Who's excited for Dragon Quest Heroes tomorrow!!!

I am!!!

Too bad I'm still playing Disgaea. I don't think I can take all the good PS4 games coming out this month.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

mikeycp posted:

I want the DQM remakes so so bad.

And the 3rd Rocket Slime game that I didn't know existed until this week

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I'm super excited that we're getting these games because I didn't finish 8, and never even touched 7.

Also this gives me a glimmer of hope that we'll get the remakes of DQM 1 and 2.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

They will probably do Joker 3 at this point if sales do well. It's kinda late to be doing dqm 1 or 2, both of which are primarily online games.

What makes them primarily online? Like I remember that a lot of their extra time came from those randomly generated key worlds, but those weren't really restricted by being able to trade with other players or anything in the originals.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Boinks posted:

I might get a PS4 for Black Friday and this'll be the first game I play.

I was at Gamestop a week ago for their 4/$9 last gen sale and heard the DQ8 theme coming from one of their TVs and freaked out a little.

It is also going to be on the PC if you're waffling about getting a PS4

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Well, to be fair, it usually is disappointing when the next itteration of a game in a series has fewer features than the previous one. DQ7 was also the first of the remakes to appear on the 3DS, so it felt like SQEX was setting the standard for the system at that point, which they pretty much did if you factor in the dqm remakes, which all contain most of said features as well.

DQ8 was first put on mobile platforms with no mention of a 3DS release, then came relatively out of no where as a remake. They threw in some nice extras and all to make sure there would be a reason for owners of the other versions to buy the new one as well, but overall, it feels like last generation DS level remake.

I guess a lot of people don't agree with me because they know only DS remakes, whereas I've been playing the 3DS ones and getting spoiled by the level of new content in them, thus expecting it to be a given at this point.

What did you actually want from a 3DS remake of 8? Like, my only complaint would be that it doesn't look as nice as the PS2 version.

But you seem to think that they should have overhauled systems or something and I'd like to know what those would be.

e: oh and I'd like a way to reset skill builds

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

Online content like that which was in all 3 of the other 3DS games.

Includes pseudo DLC for free, as well as streetpass features that add dozens of hours of gameplay to the game, which I stress, is done online via wi-fi. Not sure why so many people seem to keep missing the fact that dqm, dqm2, and dq7 all streetpass over the Internet, meaning you will always have people to pass from your home.

But the online content that you're referring to is what exactly? If it's Monster Arena battles, then you make it sound like they've already got DQM1&2 to cover that.

Like, DQ8's arena is just recruit poo poo, so it doesn't really have the form a party of perfect monsters aspect going for it.

And what was 7's online content? I haven't played the Japanese games, and I haven't really seen any import reviews or anything.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

BabyRyoga posted:

DQ7 has maps (or shard fragments to fit the theme) that work like dq9s maps. They come both in DLC and player generated form.

Oh okay, I see what you're looking for then. I mean, I'm not sure lengthy RPGs like Dragon Quest need padding like that. But now I understand what you wanted at least.

Did the DLC shards in 7 have some story attached to them, or was it just here's a map, kill the boss?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

There are 5 included dlc missions in addition to the costumes and weapons
Arena batle
Psaro
Nokturnus
Bjorn
Zoma

the game takes like 60+ hours to full clear as it is and they went straight into production of the sequel with 4 player co-op.

Co-op sounds amazing even if it's online only.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Prism posted:

Didn't it come out months ago? Like, summer?

Yeah I was looking for trailers a couple weeks ago and found some rando's play through lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Wendell posted:

poo poo, now this game is trash to me until I hear Pankraz is in it.

It's been out for something like half a year in Japan so RIP

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Supremezero posted:

Uh.

All of them.

Except for, ironically, Axes.

Seriously, his other two weapons are crap, and you only do fisticuffs for thin air.

Scythes has Stainless Steal Sickle so that can't be right

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In Training posted:

I know it's not a great answer either but square occasionally does new printings of their older games, I've seen new runs of DQ games on their store during some seasonal sales. So that may happen again in the lead up to XI's release

Yeah I got a copy of V about 2 years ago for $20 new because of this

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

...! posted:

I just started over. I think the contrarian change was caused by me running away from the Aliahan castle at the very start and insisting to my mother that I didn't want to meet the king. I always do that sort of thing in every game that lets me, just to see what happens. So I was punished for having fun. Now I'm saying yes to every drat "but thou must!" question in the game lest it sic the fun police on me again.

The game changing your personality based off stuff 90% of players won't do sounds funny and cool, actually

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

gambling addiction

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Raitzeno posted:

It was also cute how you had maybe 1 or 2 things that could erase enemy tension, and iirc you had to spec into them with skillpoints. If you didn't know they existed and were building a different weapon specialty on those characters, well, sucks for you, enemies can Psyche Up and there's dick-all you can do about it.

if you weren’t giving Angelo Charisma then you were playing wrong :colbert:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Hi i downloaded the pre order code items and installed them but the game still doesnt detect them when I go to claim special rewards. I have re installed them like twice now and still nothing.

if you haven’t found it already you need to press square and go in to one of the sub menus to claim rewards, might be under misc.?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Am I good to sell off old equipment or will there be recipes later on that use old weapons and poo poo? I’ve still got stuff hanging around from 10 hours ago and it’s starting to get annoying when I have to change equipment around

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

It's not the only one though. I personally have serious problems with the non-existant difficulty (which is admittedly self inflicted to some degree but this was not a problem I had in 8). Also Veronica is easily the worst character I've had to put up with in the last couple of years and she gets a lot of lines. So does Serena, who also sucks but at least sucks because she is boring and not because she is an annoying character archetype combined with one of the worst anime tropes. Not even Sylvando really makes up for it and Sylvando fuckin rules.

Game's still good though.

Veronica’s dominant personality traits being strong sense of justice and ANGRY, owns actually

Like yeah, she’s super blustery but she’s also the moral compass of the party, and balances out the extreme amounts of chill Serena has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

In Training posted:

Always funny to think about how dqxi was the first switch game ever announced

lol no way