Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I honestly like DQ11's approach. You can actively hunt for the medals and get the prizes as early as possible when they're most useful, but if you missed a few you can still get the last prizes by stealing them from endgame mobs without having to look at a guide or going crazy looking for that last chest in the map Nose for Treasure tells you exists but you've already combed the map 5 times and where's is it?!?! AAAAAA :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I bet Goku would enjoy that kind of wish-granting dragon.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Drashin posted:

So when I was younger I heard the 'fact' that in the japanese version of the first Dragon Quest game the final boss wasn't the Dragonlord transforming but was just his pet dragon that attacked you and the Dragonlord transforming was an invention of the localization. Can anyone provide me with any reliable source for this or was it just an old internet urban myth?

Never heard that one before, but I know the american manual makes up an origin story for the Dragonlord in which he finds out he has the power to command dragons upon accidentally finding a dragon in a cave and discovering it would obey his orders as a pet dog would so I'd bet the origin of the rumour was someone jumping to conclusions after reading that.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

I'll be the killjoy and say that nobody died

Nobody died during THAT tournament because Arachtagon was stopped in time. But Vince has been winning tournaments and feeding the other fighters to Arachtagon for a while.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

I'm probably commiting heresy by saying this but, personally, I don't find party chat all that important. The usual pattern is I keep checking the party chat until there's a part of the game where there's nothing funny or substancial in it for a while so I unconsciously forget about it until several ingame hours later, then I remember it exists and check it again, starting the cycle over.

I don't know, the idea of playing DQ4 with that patch that introduces tons of text errors everywhere just for it sounds crazy to me. It's fine if you're replaying it but for a first run I'd still put the phone version if you tolerate touchscreen controls and the regular DS version without party chat over it.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

I'm having this problem with the first Phantasy Star :lol: Talk to a guy, he says "gently caress you, go away!" Talk to him again, he says "drat you're persistent, :fuckoff: !" So naturally, the third time you talk to him he's like "I'm gonna build you a spaceship!" So naturally, guess who decided to go see if there was something else I needed to go trigger first after #2 and got bodied by a medusa?

Lol yeah. A little advice for the road: there's a NPC in a village that asks you if you know about <device>. If you answer the truth and say "No" expecting more info about it you only get useless flavor text, if you say "Yes" (lies) he'll actually tell you the relevant info to find <device>. At least you can talk to him as many times as you want.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

:sickos:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Yeah I was bracing myself for that too and then it turns out that he's actually the most noble and pure hero character in the entire story and he happens to really like flamboyant showmanship and hell who doesn't?

I noticed DQ11 does the baiting you with a bad anime trope only to do it right several times.

As you said, you expect Sylvando to be a tired gay stereotype but he's actually great.

Veronica is a "little girl who's actually older than she looks" but that's never used to justify skeevy stuff, instead it's mostly used to make jokes for being refused alcohol and because it's funny seeing her bossing her sister, who's 3x times taller, around.

Rab is a dirty old man, but directs his perviness at "literature" and professionals, he's never a creep to his female companions.