Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The big thing with S-E and Nintendo is that they've fallen into the habit of sitting on their hands until Nintendo offers to localise/promote their games for them, but I don't think the other games Nintendo picked up after DQ9 (DQ6, DQM2, Itadaki Street) did very well, so I guess that'd explain why they haven't bothered with any of the 3DS games. (There was a rumour that it was a tossup between localising DQ7 or BD, but who knows if that was true or not.)

Their recent financial briefing dealio did state that they're thinking about releasing DQX overseas, but I think that was in reference to Asia and not western markets.
I like how I've literally never heard of one of those three (dear god please don't be letting them gauge whether or not I want DQ games by some Monopoly ripoff) and had no idea that DQM2 actually came out in America. Hell, when I thought of DQM2 I thought of Terry's Wonderland or whatever the remake was called, which we didn't get.

I just want to give them my money! They make it so hard :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Vakal posted:

But if you want a team of made of special-boss monsters... then yeah, the amount of redundant breeding and grinding required is excessive to say the least.
It's absolutely absurd. But it scratches that itch for me, so I assume I'm the American version of their Japanese target audience for DQM...

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Deki posted:

Speaking of which, I'm surprised that the DQM series never really caught on that well over here. I've easily put in more than 10 times more hours playing DQM 1 and 2 than I have with Pokemon, but I seem to be in the vast minority.

The DQM2 remake looks so goddamn good and it's a shame that it's probably never getting brought over.
I'd settle for the DQM1 remake. Those games are awesome, although I've probably put more time into Pokemon just because they actually release Pokemon games in America.

Prism posted:

There are also a couple other differences, the most noticable of which is that Debora is only a marriage option on the DS.
Everyone seems to think she's a joke option, but she was my choice by a mile :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Potsticker posted:

Foolishly? You gained ultimate power!
And you rule over half the world!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Crimson Harvest posted:

Well it took nearly two hours but I finally managed to fight a slime in DQ7!

This is gonna be a really long game, isn't it? Is there anything I need to know beforehand, so I can either not gently caress stuff up or make my life easier/more convenient?

Once you get the job system (in another fifteen hours or whatever) you may want to look up how to get to Godhand or whatever it's called, since it takes like... I want to say 750? battles at best, with an optimized path, but it's so powerful that it is definitely worth it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

FFXIV will have the DQ cross-over event next month. I forget what all you can get but it includes the horned helmet sprites like Kandar wore, and a Golem pet?
I hope Golem pet is the next Fat Chocobo, it could be absolutely adorbs :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't have a PS4 and I will want to get one eventually and that is a beautiful one. Are they region free and/or will we get it in America, pretty please Japan?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

iastudent posted:

PS4 is region free but the chance of getting that in America without relying on importers is slim to none.
Then I'll import. That thing is beautiful.

(I want to believe that SE knows some of us like Dragon Quest games. But I know they don't know that.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Alpha Kenny Juan posted:

Because goddamn. :stare: I don't have a PS4 but if that was here that would change my mind in a heartbeat.
I know, right? At least 2015 gives us enough time to find an importer! And all PS4s can change system menu language so that's not an issue. Yes, I checked.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
This is much more hopeful than I expected from the title. The fact that they're aware there is demand to begin with I wouldn't have expected before clicking. I guess I should pester them!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Man. I could not possibly care less. DQM, at least, or don't waste your money and time :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Absolutely, yes :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
DQ7 is either the best or the worst, depending on whether or not you 1) get past the first two hours and 2) make sure to only stop shard hunting at logical points so you don't have to FAQ it up to figure out what you were just doing.

Guess how my first experience with it went? (But now I love it, since the second time I learned my lesson!)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doug Dinsdale posted:

Also, I can't find my DW7 work files (probably on CD and Zip Drives in Mac format somewhere, but I can't be bothered. I did find a bunch of Pokemon text files from the original Ruby and Sapphire onwards, though.), so I can't find more memorable jester lines.
It's probably for the best.
You should make an A/T thread or something, I'd love to get stories behind stuff like this.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Well poo poo. I wanted to buy one of those!

...oh well, I'm sure I can find a Japanese friend.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BadAstronaut posted:

Seriously though, what does that metal slime do and why does it need a USB slot?
I think it's just to make sure it doesn't move. Or, I guess, to protect a USB slot if you are a filthy slob? It just looks so cute :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Oh my god they said "METARU SLAIME EDISHUN" :3:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Doug Dinsdale posted:

They also wouldn't increase the text limit for item names, so I had to have them turn all weapon names into "six letters + icon."
I had to fight George the localization producer like a banshee to get that change pushed through.
That worked out really well IMO. You did good on that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I love both DQ and Theatrhythm. They should localize it. And then release the Metal Slime PS4 here. Or just the latter.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

TurnipFritter posted:

The whole squad follows you in FMS, while BMS are vertical/first person. Munchie is present ontop of 8's head.
I really like that BMS look. That's very DQ.

...and we'll never see it :ssh:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want the loving special edition PS4. Come on, guys, let me give you my money!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Longshot question, and might be too :filez: to post here, but...

Did anyone emulate DQM Joker 2? I'm trying to trade with myself to get more than one Captain Crow, I have a legit copy and an R4, but I can't get the R4 .sav file into a format that the save editor that I found online will read. If anyone either knew what format to use, or if desmume can export in some specific way, or if one of the save converters online will convert it into something usable, or even just had an old save lying around, that'd be super helpful.

e: actually, solved everything except getting it back into R4-readable format!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Mar 31, 2015

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
The WiFi is dead because the Nintendo WFC servers were all taken down, but the player-to-player stuff still works if you explicitly put the game in Tag Mode. Streetpass won't do it. So in practice, entirely dead, unless you go to a large con where you might find one or two DQ9 diehards who will probably share you all that you need: the WiFi quests and, ideally, also the one map that just has a bunch of metal king slimes on one floor.

(solved my issue by going desmume > no$gba format > online converter)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BadAstronaut posted:

So this is them announcing the sequel for the game that is not even out in the west yet?
Isn't that what every DQ game has been for the last, what, five years? :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

That loving Sned posted:

Speaking of Joker 2, didn't that get an expanded re-release in Japan at the same time the base game was released in English?
Yeah, Professional version. We never got it :(

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
3 GBC has the second bonus dungeon, which the SNES version doesn't, but it's a huge grind to get to and not really worth it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Joker 3 better come stateside, that's all I have to say about that.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Caidin posted:

Nah, they just knew there was no need to hang around while Debora was on the scene. :colbert:
Goddamn right.

(If I had a PS4 I'd have bought DQH already. But I don't. But I want DQM remakes.)

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Torneko's not DLC or anything, right?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BabyRyoga posted:

As for puns, DQ in Japanese isn't necessarily a very punny game at all, with regards to how punny the Japanese language tends to be overall to English.
...so they don't have the Zere/Zere Rocks pun?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BabyRyoga posted:

Holy poo poo. It appears that when you use super-fusion in Joker 3, you can give size 2, 3 and 4 monsters size 1 monster bodies. In the previous game, you could only size up smaller monsters, not shrink down big ones. Incoming mini Estarks and Slime Cancers!

The competitive value of this is insane, the customization on monster traits allows for WAY more options this time around. Multiplayer will be a clusterfuck.
That's going to be awesome. Teeny tiny boss monsters all day long :kimchi:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I want to preorder 7 from Amazon but their link for a physical copy isn't working for me. Can someone link me to a working page for it?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Part of the reason I explicitly ask in this thread like a moron is that I also tried yesterday and the Amazon customer support guy said "it works for me" and told me to try another browser or another computer, both of which do not work for me.

So it's heartening to know it's not just me!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Overemotional Robot posted:

I reported the broken link and they gave me $10 in credit. You should report it again and maybe they'll do the same. Still not fixed as of right now, though.

Edit: Weird, under features and details it's clearly talking about Zelda: Twilight Princess.
Eh, I alraedy dealt with their customer service once and it was a pain in the rear end, but for ten bucks I might try it again!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Overemotional Robot posted:

Here's a link to the pre-order page of VII that should work:

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Quest...=dragon+quest+7
That's 8 :(

e: like it even says 8 and "Journey-Cursed" in the URL, it's not just a redirection error

at this point I think people are gaslighting me

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 17, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

The Phlegmatist posted:

I randomly came across my copy of DQIX today and I feel like playing it again and trying to get the light-speed champion accolade (finish the game up in under 12 hours.)

Is doing it solo the best way to go about this? It feels weird not having my three mute comrades ripped straight out of DBZ.
It seems like the best way to go about that would be watching a speedrun and adapting the strats to be less risky, since I think the WR is single-digit hours?

That's not super helpful since I haven't looked at a leaderboard ever, but I know Highspirits over on Twitch runs it every so often (and every other DQ, which is why every so often) so if nothing else you could find an old run of his for inspiration.

e: to the above poster: If you have a flashcart or something you can download a save with all the content unlocked then use the two DSes to have your legitimate copy streetpass (it's not streetpass, I forget the name of the in-game feature that mimics it) the flashcart save and that unlocks the content on the legitimate copy. There may also be a way to trick your DS into connecting to a local wifi network that mimics NFC?

e2 to below: That might be! I was thinking of specifically the quests and not the patrons and the shop items, that's my bad.

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 20, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I know many of you probably don't care about speedruns, but within four hours last night nescardinality broke his own DQ1 NES world record (down to 45 minutes), then broke it again down to 42:21, where it may sit for a while.

Highlights: It uses the RNG manipulation from the TAS in real time to beat the Dragonlord at level 7 (real runs can maybe do it at 17 in ~5:15ish) by attacking for 1 and casting a bunch of Hurts while the Dragonlord stays asleep the entire fight. The entire drat thing is a highlight, honestly. It's marvelous to see the game be so broken.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
DQM Joker series isn't bad - though I definitely prefer the original DWM1/2, there's still a lot of space to get as spergy as you want with breeding and skills and stupid crap if you like to look at guides and if not the main game is mostly reasonably balanced and not unfun to play through. That said, the online multiplayer doesn't exist anymore and the postgame was kinda... lacking, honestly. I think they were really leaning on that because they got rid of all the cool random map generation stuff from the originals in favor of a couple wet farts worth of postgame story. Sure, harder fights, but nothing exceptional.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I don't know why, but the Android version of DQ8 is free through the Amazon App Store today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I hope you're playing the DS version because the "joke" waifu they added is easily the best of the three options.