Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

whydirt posted:

Veronica’s cat suit makes every cut scene with her extra great

Veronica in general is just great. She and Sylvando are just the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Stopping the game before the true ending is something only monsters do. The last cutscene is one of the biggest "oh whaaaaaaaaat" moments I've ever had in a game.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Y'all ain't even finishing the story. There's a final boss and resolution and everything.

This is like deciding FF7 is over when Aeris dies.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
The game is a lot more open ended after act 1. Act 1 is more on rails to set the story, but certain events have you in a position where you can kind of go wherever you want.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

anakha posted:

Just finished Act 2 of DQ11. The final dungeon was pretty cool but the final boss was a bit of a letdown. Not in difficulty, but in how goofy as gently caress it looked. I much preferred the first incarnation of that boss.

83 hours in, and a whole post-game left to go. Looking forward to binging this over the holidays.

I'm jealous. DQXI is easily one of my favorite, if not my favorite overall, game of the past few years, and the only game I ever Platinum'd. I wish I could play it again for the first time.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I've started what I feel is a rather daunting task of playing every main Dragon Quest game in order, X aside. I had already played Dragon Quest 1 as a kid and Dragon Quest XI a couple years ago. However, as I haven't played the rest of the series yet to completion, I figured the best way was to just tackle it all, in order-- and my reward for all of this (as if it is not already a reward in and of itself to play through one of the most treasured video game series ever that I have woefully neglected for most of my life) is to play through DQXI-S, which I have had for over a year now but haven't felt like playing just yet since DQXI still feels fresh for me.

On the 24th, I picked up all 3 Switch remakes of DQ I-III, and I proceeded to play through all of the first game in that day as well. It was as simple as I remember it being, but I found myself appreciating some of the QoL upgrades this version of the game had. Part of me wanted to play through each game in its most original form, but I feel like this was good too.

I finished DQII the other day. I don't think I liked it quite as much, but I appreciate it for what it is. I am trying to play through these games as blindly as possible, and I only really looked at a guide to get me through the last big dungeon of the game as I had found the pitfalls and infinite loops to be obnoxious and tedious for my already worn-down nerves on how ridiculously high the encounter rate in the game was, especially in dungeons. I enjoyed being able to return to the familiar world of DQI as well; I thought that was a nice touch.

I'll be starting DQIII soon. I've felt a little intimidated by it as I know it has a class system and party building, and I tend to get a kind of choice paralysis in those kinds of situations. I am the kind of person who will literally agonize at a character creation screen because I don't know what name to give a character, let alone who that character should be. I am aware I am overthinking this, as well. But I look forward to continuing through the series as well.

Progress:
I - Switch - Done
II - Switch - Done
III - Switch
IV - Mobile (I heard it's the only version with complete party chat and I like that kinda thing)
V - DS
VI - DS
VII - 3DS
VIII - PS2? (My PS2 died on me and I do not own the game yet anyway, but I've heard this is the best version_
IX - DS
XI - Switch

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Sea Lily posted:

I've been doing this too! It's interesting to see the games get longer each time you play a new one, even though it feels like you're moving through them faster and doing more things intuitively. I love how different each game feels while still fitting into the same framework.

But on your list, I'd suggest DQ8 be the 3DS version rather than the PS2 one. It's got a lot of QoL stuff, as well as two extra party members and some other unique content. Everything else you've got planned out there is probably the best way to do it. I played them the same kind of way, though I bought 4 for the DS before finding out about the mobile thing so I missed out on party chat- but even without that, it's a great game.

Ah, good point. I'll keep that in mind!

I have 4 for the DS as well-- I actually bought it years ago and regret not picking up V and VI as well, though I just have those on my flashcart instead.

SpaceDrake posted:

It's true that Mobile has party chat restored in English, but I do want to point out that IV and V have some genuine-rear end problems with some of the "accents" ending up descending into outright racist caricature. And I do mean seethingly racist.

(No, I am never going to shut up about what was done to Maya, Meena and Sancho in those games. It was an absolutely shocking misstep in what were otherwise reasonably well-done localizations. Alena and her crew are only very marginally less worse, and it's still Not Great and not what I would want to do.)

So if that factors in at all, well, there you go. That said, the DS/mobile editions of the games are also the most QoL-friendly of the bunch by a lot.

QoL is the biggest thing for me, yeah. I'm aware of the translation stuff being pretty sketchy, as unfortunate as it is.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Veronica is my favorite by orders of magnitudes of magnitudes.

Sylvando's definitely right after her though.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Elephant Ambush posted:

I realize that DQ is not FF but Uematsu only did music for the first 9 games and hasn't been the main composer since then. I know DQ fans are way more traditional than FF fans but I feel like they could get away with it.

On the other hand I feel like Sugiyama being a piece of poo poo doesn't hurt their bottom line much and as long as he's not constantly saying racist nationalist poo poo on social media every day they have no reason to fire him.

FF music hasn't really been all that amazing since FF9, for what it's worth. :v:

X had some good tracks and as much as I dislike FFXIII, its whole series' battle themes were bangers. The rest... eh.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

That's just straight up wrong

It's almost like there was a second part to my comment!

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Shout-out to that poor translator lmao

She really did her best but there's just no way to easily translate constant crosstalk so nothing made sense most of the time since she was trying to keep up.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

lets hang out posted:

finally, dragon quest...for adults

Dragon Quest XII: Hardcore Puff-Puff Edition

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Should I pick up DQ8 on 3DS before the eshop closes down, or should I get it for PS2 instead (though this would require me to get my PS2 fixed)? I've never played it before.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

Also, if you have a hacked 3DS you can patch the orchestrated soundtrack back in IIRC.

So... how does one hack their 3DS, and what benefits does it have? What are the risks? I have a spare (original) 3DS I don't use anymore ever since I transferred everything to my New 3DSXL.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'll play it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'll never understand why people don't like Act 3 and act like it's not part of the game! It's one of the best parts of the game imo

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Tbh above all else, skipping act 3 means skipping the bombshell revelation at the end that took the game from "best RPG I've played in many years" to "one of my favorite games of all time by coming full circle to the first RPG I ever played".

If you don't care about that, that's your right, but I still feel like you're depriving yourself. It is pretty bittersweet in context of the story though because of what you have to do to access act 3, but it's worth it for what I mentioned above (and getting back the second best character in the game).

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
who is this smol friend

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

FeatherFloat posted:

Oh yes, on the subject of Dragon Quest Treasures, codes are out for some special party members!

https://twitter.com/DragonQuest/status/1604673122040516613

Yuji there apparently has Yuji Horii's actual voice? Neat!

These are permanent codes, right? I haven't picked the game up yet and it'd suck to miss stuff. I can't stand limited-time stuff. :|

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

icantfindaname posted:

Also, holy moley the prices for DS/3DS cartiges of these games :stare:

Maybe I will play the super famicom 5 fan translated

I regret not getting V/VI/VIII when I had the chance. I've got V and VI on my DS flashcart, and I ended up buying VIII digitally.

Also, what's the general verdict on DQ Treasures? Been considering picking it up but haven't heard much talk about it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Should I play the Switch version of DQ3 or wait for the remake? Kinda been itching to try it since I haven't played it yet since folks have been talking about it, but I also have other DQ games to play too.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

History Comes Inside! posted:

Act 3 is just The Rest Of The Game

Right! You miss some of the best parts of the game if you skip it.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Considering access to both, which version of DQ7 is the one to play? I've heard a lot of mixed opinions and considering how long the game is I'm unlikely to play through both in any sort of succession.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Sounds good. 3ds it is.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Commander Keene posted:

One thing I do recommend is if you have a softmodded New 3DS, turn on the New 3DS clock speed and L2 cache in the Luma settings because the framerate can be a bit rough in the overworld sections and having those enabled seems to fix it.

I haven't modded my 3DS yet (probably due to unfounded fears of my account getting banned or me loving up the process), but I've been meaning to. Didn't even know you could do stuff like that.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
It's still tied to my Switch account, isn't it?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Last Celebration posted:

I think Sparkling Wide Pressure is still dumber tbh.

You picked that when Star Gentle Uterus was right there?

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like Switch games being choppy is just endemic to games existing on the Switch :v:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
Absolute gutpunch. RIP to a legendary creator.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
https://kotaku.com/dragon-quest-12-producer-delays-1851391503

quote:

Bloomberg reports that a top producer on the series, Yu Miyake, is stepping down from the series as part of Square’s reorganization, and will now be leading development at the company’s mobile games division. Miyake, who has been with the Dragon Quest franchise since 1992, has reportedly been moved there following a number of delays to the upcoming Dragon Quest XII. Announced back in 2021, little else has been heard about Dragon Quest 12 until now, which doesn’t inspire much hope this game will see the light of day anytime soon.

Well that doesn't sound great. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not worried about the game being delayed. I'm worried about it being rushed. I'll wait however long is needed for it! If it even comes close to how much I loved DQXI, I'll love it and consider the wait worth every second.

The article makes it sound like the producer was kicked out because of the slow development and S-E wants them to go faster.