Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I should have been following this thread months ago.

I got DQ Heroes (and the associated PS4) but got stuck on the install thing because PSN makes you download a 4.43 gig file for the install, and then doesn't tell you the actual game is 22.77 gigs and secretly downloads while you play, unless you go into like three submenus on the home screen. This is the dumbest thing.

I guess there hasn't been any announcement about Theatrhythm DQ in the US?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

JustJeff88 posted:

Partially to break up the argumentative tension, but has anyone played any of the early DQ games on a tablet? I think that they are based off of the faster-paced, less punitive Famicom versions. DQ1 is only $3, so I thought that might be a good starting point, with 2 being $5, 3 is $10 and then it gets pricey. I just wondered how they played and controlled. I am... not a big fan of touch controls in many areas, but this seemed like the kind of game that would adapt well to that type of interface.

I played the mobile version of DQ1-3 and they were wonderful. The graphics are very pretty SNES-style, and in 3's case, directly lifted from the SNES version. The directional controls only allow for 4-way movement, which you think would be bad? But it's actually smooth in practice. I realized how important this was when I played FF6 mobile version afterward, and the 8-way movement was horrible and awkward and unmanageable. As soon as I swapped it to 4-way in the settings, the difference was like night and day.

DQ1 also allows you to stack up to 6 medical herbs in a single inventory slot. You can only carry up to 6 at a time period, but it's still pretty nice. DQ2 and 3 do not have this, largely because it's kind of superfluous in those.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Fancy Hat! posted:

Also, DQ3 drops the 'thees' and 'thous' that they brought back for the first two translations, I guess for nostalgic purposes?

Someone hasn't gotten to Alefgard yet.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Martial Artists are the best all around due to their crit rates, as I recall. If you want to do the postgame content, you'll want to pay attention to personalities and how they relate to stat growth.

That said, I raised my mage and priest to learn all their main class spells before I changed them both to sages to learn the other side's spells.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Japanese DQ players have it so easy. They can refer to the same spells, character names, and items, from game to game, and from remake to remake. I hate having to distinguish Hurt, Firebal, or Frizz.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just want to be able to have a conversation with another DQ fan without having to distinguish Cristo from Kiryl depending on which version of the game each of us played.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Don't get me wrong, I'm not even complaining about the relative merits of one name vs. another. It's just nice being able to say "Mera" and have it be Mera from one game to another instead of having to figure out which game your friend played and look up what it was called in that one.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Could you link it? I can't actually find it on the store website.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Thank you! Agreed on the weapon names.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's a Dynasty Warriors game, so if you don't like those, you won't like Heroes. With that said, the rest of it is extremely well crafted and engaging. The magic system is fun, the weapons all show up individually based on what you equip, and the graphics in general are beautiful. The game is also very fluid and responsive in general, I found.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm mostly wondering about the weapon variety. How does it measure up to, say, Hyrule Warriors?

Sorry, I haven't played Hyrule Warriors so I can't compare, but -

Each character has a defined weapon type. Sword, whip, staff, fist, spear, axe, bow, and boomerang are the main ones I recall offhand. The ones that become available progressively in stores tend to be straight upgrades over the previous episode's weapon selection.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
It's rare that someone can safely claim a remake on another system is strictly superior in every way, but in Dragon Quest's case, it's a legit claim.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

ComposerGuy posted:

So going to go through DQ3 for the first time ever. Is Warrior or Martial Artist generally considered better? I think I'm definitely taking a cleric and wizard-mage-guy...unless I should take a gadabout for the class change? And if so, drop the cleric or the wizard?

Martial Artist is better than Warrior by far in the late game due to high crit rates and high speed, but they are softer targets in general due to lack of high defensive gear for most of the game.

You can always use Words of Wisdom for a class change for your priest or wizard if you don't want to lug around a Gadabout, but if you do want to take one, either the priest or the wizard would be fine. You don't need a priest if you're willing to make your hero a part-time healer, and you can live without a wizard in a game with multi-target hitting weapons like whips and boomerangs.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I can't compare them, having not played Hyrule Warriors, but DQ Heroes is fun and has lots of neat mage spellcasting options. You can play Flora and go around waving your magic wand (staff) to throw magic rainbow bubbles at everything.

In a more up-front answer, I find the original heroes of the game to be particularly fun to play. Their spells have a very satisfying oomph to them, and their attack combos are easy to use.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

DQ Heroes has some sort of quasi-tower defense gimmick, doesn't it?

Oh yes, I forgot about this. Yes, this is one of several mission formats in the game, and some missions make it annoying as hell. You have two basic possibilities - either you're in a dungeon where you can position monsters to guard specific corridors, or you're in an open area where you just kind of throw monsters around the thing being protected, go out, and hope you destroy enough enemy spawn points before they get overwhelmed.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The CEO of S-E Europe says he's looking into the possibility of crowdfunding localisation, so yeah, look forward to that.

I think you mean, PLEASE look forward to that.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Unlucky7 posted:

All you really need to know about the characters are spelled out, like Alena being a princess and a muscle wizard (muscle witch?)

No really this is the extent of her character. These people come from the golden days before RPGs were expected to have actual character development.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

In Training posted:

4 > 6 but I enjoyed both

I agree with this post. I could go into detail about 6's customization being more of a drawback than a merit, but basically, 4 is just a solid game, among the best in the series.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Mr. Trampoline posted:

It's a reference back to his original appearance in Dragon Quest 4. In the NES version, all allies were AI-controlled, and Kiryl's AI tended to use Whack and Thwack more often than not, even when the enemy was immune to it or your team was in danger of dying.

Dragon Quest 4 for NES had this big deal learning AI gimmick that was the big point of distinction for its battle system. Once its AI learned something doesn't work, it wouldn't do it again on the same target. Unfortunately, this learning AI only integrated its learning AFTER fights, which led to Kiryl/Cristo spamming death magic to no effect all the time on boss fights.

When Dragon Quest 5 came out after this, it added a manual control option. :v:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yangus's game is a Mystery Dungeon game. If you've played one (Chocobo, Pokemon, Shiren), you've played them all. There's some stuff specific to DQ mechanics like monster fusion I think? I played it like 9 years ago though, and I never finished it because I got bored.

I mainly remember it for being one of the only games I've ever played to forbid copying its memory card file to a second memory card. I had to use a Codebreaker to bypass this, just to reorganize my memory cards. :argh:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
I had a PS2 that suddenly had problems running the particular type of DVD format that DQ8 and Wild Arms Alter Code F had, after I played through DQ8 just fine months prior. You might be having some hardware problems.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you play the NES version of DQIV skip the Iron Safe in chapter 3. Not only does it permanently take up a slot that is better used by a Sword of Malice (full inventory of them, for money in Chapter 5) but it vanishes in chapter 5 anyways, so if you want it for the main game you need to just wait until chapter 5 to get it.

As I recall, the Iron Safe only works in chapter 3. Am I misremembering?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

John Lee posted:

God forbid somebody do something that's not the most efficient possible action.

Have you played DQ4? It's reasonable advice considering how many times you have to haul weapons and armor back and forth in Chapter 3, not even counting the carryovers of the Swords of Malice. I mean if you really like the Iron Safe in chapter 3, sure, go nuts, we're not gonna bust down your door and turn off the power button without holding reset.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
So, how IS the 3DS version of Dragon Quest 7 compared to the PS1 version? Is it still as long? Does it still have permanently leaving characters?

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
Is anyone familiar with a good web resource in English or Japanese for DQ Heroes? I want to be able to quickly look up how to most optimally do these quests but there are no faqs on Gamefaqs for some reason.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

^^^^
here's the FAQ: just play the game, nerd

I already did that once with the import version. Now I'd like to know some optimal strats to avoid wasting time.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

AriadneThread posted:

now i know how people felt when they localized dqiv

Thank you. That makes me feel better.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Last Celebration posted:

Or 5, or 6, or 1, 2, or 3? Or 8 even?

4 is a particular case because it was one way in English initially, and then a subsequent release just threw all that prior stuff out the window. It's frustrating. Sometimes you envy Japanese DQ fans who get to enjoy the same character names and same spell names every time without having to worry about which spellname to use depending on who you're conversing with: Hurt, Gira, Firebal, or Sizz (all the same spell!).

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Draile posted:

Bring back the original NES names! Spell names, too.

Well, let's not go crazy. It would be kind of silly to have Meena casting wind spells called Infernos and Infermore and Infermost. :v:

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
For the record, I wasn't griping about the current naming conventions. I think they're fine and I don't want to be one of those armchair localizers like in the Fire Emblem thread. I was just kvetching about the first world problem difficulties of discussing a game with someone based on the time period in which they played it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dr.Smasher posted:

Alena's pretty awesome. Jessica's overpowered. Kiryl's Thwack doesn't work. Maya is fanservice. Terry is pretty angsty and I'm certain he would listen to Linkin Park.

These are all accurate statements to their respective games. Terry is like pure edgy 90s anime character and it's great.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Real hurthling! posted:

graduated to rocketslime now. loving amazing.

Rocket Slime is great and everybody in this thread who hasn't played it should really play it.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Ghost of Starman posted:

How did folks like Dragon Quest Heroes (PC version, specifically)? DQ + Dynasty Warriors sounds extremely like my jam, but I'm waiting for it to come down in price a bit.

It's a really solid game that I thoroughly enjoyed. I think the dub is a little too tryhard with the funny accents, but that's pretty much my only complaint.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Dr. Fetus posted:

I've decided to check out the series and maybe go on a marathon of sorts through the games. What would you all say are the best ways to experience each Dragon Quest game?

If you're playing for the first time, I'd suggest playing the mobile ports of 1-3. They're very pretty and well written, and they're much more forgiving in terms of saving than their predecessor versions.

For 4, I still have a soft spot for the NES game but you could probably get away with mobile or DS for that. Probably DS for 5 and 6. There's a version of 7 coming out for 3DS that will be very refined over the original PS1 game. I can't vouch for any non-PS2 ports of 8, and the only version of 9 is for DS.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
The mobile version of 2 is generally fine and way better than previous incarnations due largely to a proper teleportation system and the ability to save anywhere. It's perfectly playable and not bad.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
My DQ7 PS1 story is that I got 30 hours in then got stuck on Glacos and quit in the import version. Then I got the US version when that came out and got 30 hours in and got stuck on Glacos and quit again. :v:

I'm actually pretty excited to play a refined version of the game when the 3DS version comes out in English. I'd like to see it through to the end.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

JustJeff88 posted:

The Fur Cloak actually has 60 defence in the remakes compared to 35 on the Magic Armour and 47 on the Gaia Armour.

The thing is that the Magic Armor reduces all magic damage by half, straight up. It's really good despite the defense difference.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat
RPG Limit Break is doing a charity marathon event and they just started playing the translated SNES rom of DQ3, for anyone interested.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Nemo2342 posted:

I wonder if there is any chance of a Steam port? I'll absolutely buy it for PS4 otherwise.

DQ Heroes came out on Steam within a few months of its PS4 release, with extremely little foreshadowing. Just hold off for a while and see what happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

carrion kit posted:

i've been playing DQ8 this past week and it's been a ton of fun. the world looks so lovingly crafted and detailed, it's a treat to explore. it's gorgeous, and though i never thought i'd say this about a video game - the voice acting is actually good and worth listening to. recipe system is neat, i haven't GameFAQ'd anything, and i don't really want to, so i hope i find some more recipes for weapons and armor. i keep trying out different poo poo and my best item so far is a bunny ears hat...

I felt the exact same way about the world when I played DQ8. It was beautiful to explore, and the random knick-knacks you could find were more like a pleasant optional surprise than anything tedious.