Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
A reminder of how much things can change in a decade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THFhGoZnf94

Bryan was not alone in his former opinion of Nigel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
For some reason I'll never forget him bitching about Nigel vs. John Walters from Honor Reclaims Boston. He loving HATED it.

e: Also consider that Matt Morgan was also brought up in late 2003. If he was abysmal in 2005...

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Korak posted:

Alvarez is a conspiracy nut?

No not at all, he (like me) just loves all that wacky poo poo. He is generally skeptical but like Bell he doesn't judge anyone on the show, he just lets them say their thing and asks follow-up questions. It's pretty good fun and well worth checking out. All the shows are free on http://www.bryanalvarez.com/

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He probably had a real loser on to debunk conspiracies.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Yeah. That guy really sucked.

You were actually pretty drat good I thought.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

MassRayPer posted:

You should've went on in exchange for information on what's up with Nigel/Desmond Wolfe.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

There's testing a guy to see how well he does under pressure and then there's killing careers and squashing money making ideas just because you want to see how someone will react. Vince seems to be taking it to an extreme just for his own amusement.

This reminds me of a quote in James B. Stewart's book DisneyWar (which covered Michael Eisner's career and his tumultuous end at Disney), regarding the way Eisner treated ABC executives after he bought the company. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but a top-level executive was quoted as saying, "Most chief executives try to put the best people in the best roles for them to succeed. Michael likes to lock ten wolves in a room and see which one survives."

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
I think I'm starting to like the LAW more and more because the hosts' complete hatred of their callers seems to be coming through a bit more every week.

Also Jesus Christ the callers are some of the highest order of aspergers

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
My favorite podcast is the Don Tony and Kevin Castle show, which can be found at https://www.wrestling-news.com. I like it mostly for Kevin Castle, though. Don Tony is for the most part an insufferable prick.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Big Bob Pataki posted:

I think I'm starting to like the LAW more and more because the hosts' complete hatred of their callers seems to be coming through a bit more every week.

Also Jesus Christ the callers are some of the highest order of aspergers
I found all of their old 2009 shows on a web site and I've been listening to them, there was a hilarious episode where during the Title Belt Trivia segment they had to go through about 15 questions for a contestant to get two right and Justin Pollack sounded like he was about to have a break down.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Yeah the guys on LAW are growing on me, I'm listening to their whole show on Wrestlemania 19 right now and it's a pretty excellent listen. I really wish Triple H hadn't gone over Booker on that show, it really sours me on an otherwise pretty incredible card.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
I really think the best thing about "Formerly Creative" are the little things mentioned that give us insight into the weird eccentricity of Vince McMahon. Like him only eating medium rare steak wraps with ketchup or how scared everyone was when Vince learned how to text message.

It makes me really want Meltzer to put out the Vince Bio that he has saved for after his death.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I really think the best thing about "Formerly Creative" are the little things mentioned that give us insight into the weird eccentricity of Vince McMahon. Like him only eating medium rare steak wraps with ketchup or how scared everyone was when Vince learned how to text message.

It makes me really want Meltzer to put out the Vince Bio that he has saved for after his death.

I'd love to read an entire book just comprised of eccentric poo poo that Vince McMahon does and the things he does to torture his employees, honestly. He just sounds really bizarre on a daily basis and its hilarious how much people are frightened of him.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

I really think the best thing about "Formerly Creative" are the little things mentioned that give us insight into the weird eccentricity of Vince McMahon.

Agreed, and it's nice to know that a lot of them do like wrestling and do try to help talent develop. The extent to which they get hamstrung by WWE's bass-ackwards corporate attitude is staggering.

It is still a little weird, though, that these nerdy comedy writers keep getting hired to write for a show where jocks beat each other up. As cool and funny and well-intentioned as a lot of those guys are, I can't help thinking that they're out of sync with what wrestling is.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CombineThresher posted:

It is still a little weird, though, that these nerdy comedy writers keep getting hired to write for a show where jocks beat each other up. As cool and funny and well-intentioned as a lot of those guys are, I can't help thinking that they're out of sync with what wrestling is.

Well, just because you're a fan of something and really enjoy it, that doesn't mean you're qualified to be in the creative process. John Logan apparently has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Star Trek, but that didn't keep him from turning Star Trek Nemesis into a festering pile of dog poo poo.

Honestly, in many cases fans are the worst kind of people you can hire for your creative team, as evidenced by 99.9 percent of all fantasy booking seen on Internet forums. The reason that these comedy writers keep getting hired is because they are nerds in love with the product, and their demonstrable lack of talent as evidenced by their failed careers means that they probably work for dirt cheap. And since they're dorks about the product, they probably aren't going to say, "No, Stephanie, this isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread."

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 7, 2011

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Timby posted:

Well, just because you're a fan of something and really enjoy it, that doesn't mean you're qualified to be in the creative process. John Logan apparently has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Star Trek, but that didn't keep him from turning Star Trek Nemesis into a festering pile of dog poo poo.

Honestly, in many cases fans are the worst kind of people you can hire for your creative team, as evidenced by 99.9 percent of all fantasy booking seen on Internet forums.

Right, but I'm not questioning what they do based on them being fans or not. A lot of those writers are, or become, fans anyway. It's their initial approach to the product that irks me, because their instincts run towards "hey this would be funny" when wrestling isn't primarily a comedy. It doesn't seem like many of them (Court Bauer and Lagana himself being exceptions) really understood the principles of writing angles to build into stories that build to matches and draw money, and there wasn't anyone in WWE willing to lay that out for them.

Bringing in a bunch of sperglords to write the shows would be a disaster too, of course, but what I'm learning is that WWE needs to provide much better leadership and guidance for their writing team, since most of them come from outside the wrestling industry.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CombineThresher posted:

but what I'm learning is that WWE needs to provide much better leadership and guidance for their writing team, since most of them come from outside the wrestling industry.

They also need to bring in guys who actually know how to write for television, as opposed to hacks who will come in for a paycheck. There's a reason that creative was so good when Chris Kreski, who was actually an accomplished television and book writer, took over for Russo. It didn't matter that Kreski was, by his nature, a comedy writer -- he had actual talent, as opposed to these goobers who write lovely episodes for programs that get canceled after two hours.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I love how Mouth and Pollack just poo poo all over Jon of Ark week after week. But yes most of the LAW callers are a bunch of Spergs.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
My favorite LAW memory is all the times when they would poo poo all over a WWE PPV, only for Meltzer to come on like 10 minutes later, who would say "I thought it was pretty good," and they'd immediately change their tune

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I don't know, both times I've tried tuning into LAW they were either whining about Booker T's commentary (which is awesome), or Bret Hart's Twitter (which is also awesome). They're kind of grating to listen to compared to Alvarez and Meltzer.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

100% chance that Bellas cheat in this match.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

oh whoops.

Granny owns. :shobon:?

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

SalTheBard posted:

I love how Mouth and Pollack just poo poo all over Jon of Ark week after week. But yes most of the LAW callers are a bunch of Spergs.
He calls in to this weeks episode with the flu or something and has the most hilarious rape voice.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Gonna burn through all the Formerly Creative podcasts today. You've all convinced me.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah I just burned through them myself and I find them pretty interesting. Lagana doesn't ask a lot of the questions I want answers to, but I guess he plans to have guests on a bunch of times to cover more material, so he's still finding his footing. Either way there is some interesting stuff there.

e: except for "15 Minutes" episodes because who gives a poo poo what fans think of wrestling, if I wanted to hear that I'd have my computer read the WWE Discussion thread out loud to me

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah I just burned through them myself and I find them pretty interesting. Lagana doesn't ask a lot of the questions I want answers to, but I guess he plans to have guests on a bunch of times to cover more material, so he's still finding his footing. Either way there is some interesting stuff there.

e: except for "15 Minutes" episodes because who gives a poo poo what fans think of wrestling, if I wanted to hear that I'd have my computer read the WWE Discussion thread out loud to me

the latest 15 minutes episode contained a fun charlie sheen anecdote, which is nice.

BobbyHeenanTinyHat
Apr 1, 2005

Calling all girls of the opposite sex
I guess the new Bret Hart show, Hitman and Groberman, counts as a wrestling podcast. It's pretty good, production levels aside. Bret speaks about old wrestling stories and answers calls about some of the new guys in the business and it's pretty fun to hear. Plus, they prank Ric Flair and Flair goes crazy and cuts an insane promo down the phone when Bret passes Groberman a note to ask Flair if he ever blew Bruiser Brody.

http://bretandjosh.com/

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
Chris Nowinski is on Bill Simmons' podcast today. It's really excellent. Everyone should listen. They ignored me in the WWE thread.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Sue Denim posted:

He calls in to this weeks episode with the flu or something and has the most hilarious rape voice.

Hahahaha ya I thought he sounded like a rapist too.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

M1TCH3LL posted:

I guess the new Bret Hart show, Hitman and Groberman, counts as a wrestling podcast. It's pretty good, production levels aside. Bret speaks about old wrestling stories and answers calls about some of the new guys in the business and it's pretty fun to hear. Plus, they prank Ric Flair and Flair goes crazy and cuts an insane promo down the phone when Bret passes Groberman a note to ask Flair if he ever blew Bruiser Brody.

http://bretandjosh.com/
The name of the podcast makes them sound like a bad morning zoo team, but other than that this sounds like it could be good.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I'll give bret and josh a go. Not sure if I can commit to 2 hours a day, but it could be fun.

Wonder if they'll get someone to edit up a weekly "best of" or anything.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
If you have an interest in women's wrestling, Women Of Wrestling Podcast is a good listen.

EDIT FOR MORE EFFORT - There's an interview with Kong in episode 7, if that helps.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I'm totally starting to suspect John Pollock hangs around here sometimes, he's mentioned a couple of things that have reminded me of things posted on this forum, like this week he mentioned he was glad he wasn't the only one who noticed the 'Autin' sign.

Not a great example, but it's the only one I can think of right now.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

savinhill posted:

The name of the podcast makes them sound like a bad morning zoo team, but other than that this sounds like it could be good.

It's not bad. The host, Josh Groberman, is pretty awful, but Bret has a remarkably good radio personality.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
Oh god, I was listening to the Bret show and the Ric Flair call.

Oh god :laffo:

Check that out about 1 hour 10 minutes in. First episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ChampRamp posted:

Oh god, I was listening to the Bret show and the Ric Flair call.

Learning that he actually WOOOs on the phone, during a normal conversation, when he isn't in the ring, makes me understand why he has so many ex-wives. The guy may be insane.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
If I could Woo as good as Ric Flair Ide do it a lot too

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Timby posted:

Learning that he actually WOOOs on the phone, during a normal conversation, when he isn't in the ring, makes me understand why he has so many ex-wives. The guy may be insane.
It's not even schtick, he does this a lot in other interviews he has given. He lives the gimmick.

I do find it funny he got so mad over a prank call, even before the prank. He was riled up already and just mentioning the TNA bus ride that never was sent him over the top. I kind of understand getting mad over the Bruiser Brody comment considering how close they were and how Brody died was the 2nd most hosed up wrestler death in history of the business(#1 is Rikidōzan.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Korak posted:

I do find it funny he got so mad over a prank call, even before the prank. He was riled up already and just mentioning the TNA bus ride that never was sent him over the top. I kind of understand getting mad over the Bruiser Brody comment considering how close they were and how Brody died was the 2nd most hosed up wrestler death in history of the business(#1 is Rikidōzan.)

I'd argue that Benoit has that title sewn up. Anyway, I see your point, although Brody's is arguably more horrible than Rikidōzan, since (allegedly, anyway) thugs went into the OR and told everyone to stop operating on Brody or else there would be consequences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Do you guys legitimately believe that was Ric Flair?

HulkaMatt fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Mar 9, 2011

• Locked thread