Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

MassRayPer posted:

Before he started the show I asked him if he'd be interested in using some of my friend's music as the theme and that it's too bad my specialty is debunking conspiracies or it'd be fun to do the show. (Since to me it is far less interesting to hear how things are wrong.) He said that actually he'd love to do that kind of a show and asked when I'd like to do it.

I have a MA in Political Science so I sound sort of impressive as a guest too. (Not really.)

I love hearing conspiracy theories being thoroughly debunked by intelligent people. So this is definitely something I'm interested in. Thanks for the heads up, about to listen to it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Deadpool posted:

I love hearing conspiracy theories being thoroughly debunked by intelligent people. So this is definitely something I'm interested in. Thanks for the heads up, about to listen to it now.

It honestly wasn't as thorough as I hoped. It just wasn't a good idea to try and do 4 in one show. Moon Landing and Roswell got time, Face on Mars and JFK didn't get much attention.

Borh
Oct 2, 2005

Disappointment to a noble soul is what cold water is to burning metal; it strengthens, tempers, intensifies, but never destroys it.
If you subscribe to the Observer and you've never listened to Bryan and Vinny reviewing the barbed wire Christmas tree episode of Impact you're doing yourself a great disservice. It's the December 21, 2007 B&V show, so check it out~!

Which reminds me, their Christmas shows, though they have nothing to do with wrestling (and everything to do with alcohol) are pretty funny as well.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Pro Wrestling Report (PWR) - http://www.pwrshow.com/
I'm suprised they haven't been mentioned yet, seeing how its a radio show on ESPN 10 years old and counting.

The do basic news, and get some really good guests, since I've been listening this past year they've had Al Snow, Jim Cornette, Iron Sheik, Kevin Nash, Ken Kennedy, Shane Helms, The Pope and some others I'm forgetting. David Hero, a co-host of the show seemingly has a close relationship with a lot of wrestlers.

The only thing negative I can say is that the quality of some of the episodes drops off once in a while for whatever reason, but the podcast is solid and the hosts have good chemistry.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

MassRayPer posted:

It honestly wasn't as thorough as I hoped. It just wasn't a good idea to try and do 4 in one show. Moon Landing and Roswell got time, Face on Mars and JFK didn't get much attention.

I remeber hearing Bryan talking about his show for that week and wracking my brain trying to remember where I had heard the name before. Then I remembered the name on my box o' Chikara dvds and my mind was blown.

Shadalator
Oct 22, 2005

I hate her so much. Vince could've married some young hot gold digger, bought her everything she ever wanted, and still saved tens of millions of dollars. Instead he married an old dumb zombie woman who kicked JR in the nuts. What a bitch
No love for Between the Ropes yet?

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Borh posted:

If you subscribe to the Observer and you've never listened to Bryan and Vinny reviewing the barbed wire Christmas tree episode of Impact you're doing yourself a great disservice. It's the December 21, 2007 B&V show, so check it out~!

Which reminds me, their Christmas shows, though they have nothing to do with wrestling (and everything to do with alcohol) are pretty funny as well.

I impulse bought a subscription on December 22, 2007 so that was the first show I heard.

Me and a friend DIED at the 10+ minute review of the SILENT NIGHT, BLOODY NIGHT match.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

If you can't get enough Bryan Alvarez, he also does Bryan Alvarez After Dark, a show in the vein of Coast to Coast AM. He's done paranormal Alabama, transhumanism, and in week 3 he interviewed me and I debunked a bunch of Conspiracy Theroies.

https://www.bryanalvarez.com
This sounds fantastic, I'll definitely give it a listen.

Lots of stuff I've never heard of in here, I've only started listening to pod casts this year and I'm burning through a lot at the moment, so I'll have to check most of these out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Bankok posted:

I listen to about half the stuff on F4W/Observer, the Lance Storm every other week is usually good. The Jericho interview a week or so ago was great also.

One of my favorite things is reading the old Observer archives they release. He just released the ones around the time of the Sid/Arn scissors incident. My only complaint with the Observers is the paragraphs are like 2 pages long, for the love of god Meltzer, hit your enter key once and a while, would make reading it much much easier.

I really enjoy the Steve Sims (lucha expert) shows as well, which is kind of surprising given how I've barely ever watched any lucha. I think part of it is that both Steve and Lance have settled into a rapport with Bryan, so they can goof around and joke about some of the sillier stuff but still get back on track and discuss serious parts in depth. The Cornette shows with Bryan and Dave are always great, and I really liked the Foley interview they did a few months ago. Mick was surprisingly open about TNA, agreeing with everyone who thought the finish to that one Flair match was retarded.

The Karl Stern shows on the F4W/Observer site are also interesting sometimes. He focuses mostly on history (although he did do dramatic readings of the WWE Heroes comics, also) but it's easy to get burned out if you listen to too many.

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS
http://www.betweentheropes.com/

Between the Ropes has a weekly podcast usually posted on Wednesday/Thursdays which is quite fun. Not listened in a while but D-Lo Brown co-hosts quite often when not working at TNA.

The Sun in the UK (horrible paper) has a decent but infrequent one called wrestlecast if you search itunes. There's a Cena interview from a while back where he disses the Rock which has become part of the current Rock return angle.

Jenzar El
Aug 16, 2010

by angerbeet
http://georgiawrestlinghistory.com/gwhrn/rsr/home.html

Probably the best podcast I ever heard is Ringside Rap with Rich Tate, Mike Sempervive and wrestling legend Les Thatcher

This show rules simply because of Les Thatcher. If you don't know who Les Thatcher is then you should probably go educate yourself. He is probably has the best mind for the business and makes the most sense of things than other wrestling personalities who do podcasts that are just fans and have no experience in the industry.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I don't care about shows with wrestlers on them, I don't want shows that do analysis. I just listen to podcasts that review the TV shows, so I have something to listen to during my commute.

If they give insight like this:

Then it's just a bonus.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

HulkaMatt posted:

VINCE RUSSO: Part 1 - Part 2

every time he gets to the "He tells his kids to get ready for school and he takes them to the dentist. ITS A SWERVE" part I can't stop laughing uncontrollably.

e: god this has led me to like an hour of youtube'ing and I just wanna find Nancy Grace and rip her head off of her neck. Every time this lady screams about kids buying steroids to emulate their hero Johnny Grunge, I want to punch a wall.

Truther Vandross fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 17, 2011

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The latest Observer Radio contains a great tangent about how TNA should replace Russo with Watson.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

MassRayPer posted:

The latest Observer Radio contains a great tangent about how TNA should replace Russo with Watson.

Percy?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Bald-n-Nekkid posted:

Percy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watson_%28artificial_intelligence_software%29

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
My favorite part of today's Observer Radio is Dave comparing some listeners to the robot from Jeopardy because they don't have a sense of humor and don't realize things him and Bryan say to each other are jokes, and then seconds later Bryan makes a joke and Dave answers it seriously

Worth every single penny

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I let my F4W subscription lapse because I got burned out on Bryan and there's just way too little Rob Naylor action on Dr Keith Presents these days :(

The only show I consistently like on the site now is Adam & Mike, who I love despite not giving a poo poo about hockey and only having a passing acquaintance with Puro.

Oh well I might sign up again at some point. The PPV reports are always worth listening to. But really, there should be Naylor content every week. He's the best.

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.

Big Bob Pataki posted:

My favorite part of today's Observer Radio is Dave comparing some listeners to the robot from Jeopardy because they don't have a sense of humor and don't realize things him and Bryan say to each other are jokes, and then seconds later Bryan makes a joke and Dave answers it seriously

Worth every single penny

I always think back to this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxLZA_VgszU

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I thought Dave's gimmick was long winded super serious answers to clearly joke questions.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

I thought Dave's gimmick was long winded super serious answers to clearly joke questions.
It is. People just don't understand his sense of humor and think he's an ignorant nerd.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

LividLiquid posted:

It is. People just don't understand his sense of humor and think he's an ignorant nerd.

He's like the Lance Storm of wrestling podcasts.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Dave Meltzer is an amazing combination of nerd and luddite. He prints off every article on wrestling for his own personal files, and some claim he prints off every email as well. I don't believe the latter though. Printing off every article is crazy, but good for him. The wrestling business needs people cataloging its history. It also leads to great stories like the House Show Royal Rumble discussion last night and in the new Observer. If someone wasn't archiving everything cool little stuff like that would be lost.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

HulkaMatt posted:

2 of my favorite rants from Alvarez in the last year:

TNA moves to Mondays: Part 1 - Part 2

Best thing about this was Bryan pointing out in incredulity that WADE BARRETT was drawing a better rating than Hogan/Flair. Considering that WWE has legit made Wade Barrett into a star, it's kind of fun to listen back to when he was nobody.

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
Dave Meltzer is hilarious. I still laugh every now and then when I think back to the AWA joke involving a dying dad and his 3 sons.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Graic posted:

Dave Meltzer is hilarious. I still laugh every now and then when I think back to the AWA joke involving a dying dad and his 3 sons.

quote:

There was this rich old man who hadn't been feeling well. He went to his doctor and the doctor told him that he had an incurable case of cancer. The doctor told him he only had a few weeks left to live. Well, the guy (his name was Fred) was incredibly wealthy; certainly wealthier than Ted DiBiase, not quite as wealthy as Donald Trump, and maybe in the same league as Vince McMahon. He went to his accountant to find out about how much he'd have left to provide for his three sons (no, this wasn't Fred MacMurray) and the accountant told him that all his sons would be well taken care of for the rest of their lives.

Fred told his accountant that he also wanted to buy each of his sons a gift that they would always remember him by. Fred called his sons that afternoon and told them to come by the office because he had to talk to each of them individually about something important.

His oldest son, who was 25, entered the room first. Fred told his son that he was dying of cancer and didn't have long to live. He said that the son would be well provided for and would never have to work for a living, but he wanted to buy his son one gift so he would always remember him. The son said he wanted a yacht. Fred called his accountant and told him to call Sam at the yacht harbor and to have him get the biggest and nicest yacht around, and it was his parting gift to his oldest son.

His second son, who was 17, came in next. Fred told him the same story. His son was pretty broken up about it and Fred said that he'd be taken care of, but would like to buy him one frivolous gift so that he'd always remember him by. The second son said he'd like a red Porsche. The father said, "no problem", called his accountant and said to call up Joe at the local Porsche dealership and tell him to get the nicest Porsche in the lot, and he wanted it for his son as a gift.

His third son, who was five, was the net in. Fred told him that he was going away soon and that they probably wouldn't be seeing each other for a while. He said things will always be taken care of for him and to remember that his daddy will always love him, even though they won't be seeing each other. He then told his son that before he left, he'd like to buy him a gift and he could have anything he wanted and price would be no object.

The son said he wanted a Mickey Mouse outfit. Fred called his accountant and said, "Call up Verne and buy him the AWA".

Dave was really vicious towards the AWA in its last half decade.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I legit choked on my tea reading that. Big Dave's posts on the Observer forums are usually p. hilarious too.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Holy poo poo that is absolutely amazing.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

MassRayPer posted:

Ahahaha jesus christ that's great

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Lamuella posted:

Best thing about this was Bryan pointing out in incredulity that WADE BARRETT was drawing a better rating than Hogan/Flair. Considering that WWE has legit made Wade Barrett into a star, it's kind of fun to listen back to when he was nobody.

They might be pushing him but he's by no means a draw. I like him but there's a difference between simply being booked well and being a decent promo/worker, and drawing ratings/money.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

He might not be a draw, but he is a much much bigger name than he was a year ago. He's someone who can be mentioned by name as an attraction in ads for live WWE events without it seeming utterly ludicrous.

If you heard an ad for a house show that said "See stars like John Cena, Edge, Brodus Clay and more!" it would seem incongruous. If it said "See stars like John Cena, Edge, Wade Barrett and more!" it wouldn't.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan Alvarez's dreams of high school gymnastics glory were dashed.

Bryan Alvarez in Today's Daily Update posted:

-- For first time, Iowa girl wins a state wrestling match ... by forfeit. Her opponent, citing family values, said wrestling could get violent and he could not bring himself to take the match. Based on the tournament format, they could conceivable end up in the same bracket later with presumably the same results. A girl was on the wrestling team when I was in high school. I had no problem with that, but I was annoyed that girls could be on the wrestling team but guys could not be on the gymnastics team.

(This isn't a sexist REVERSE DISCRIMINATION thing, he's a gymnast)

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I understand why people who don't "know" Dave have trouble getting him, because he has bizarre syntax both written and verbal. After ~15 years I have a mental Dave to English filter, I guess.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

jeffersonlives posted:

I understand why people who don't "know" Dave have trouble getting him, because he has bizarre syntax both written and verbal. After ~15 years I have a mental Dave to English filter, I guess.

Dave's verbal stammering and repeated "you know"s didn't really bother me until I read the transcript from when they were talking about Fedor/Bigfoot, and "you know" was in a written paragraph 30 times.

Also, I really love Dave's dry sense of humor in the Observer. If wrestling is going to be bad, it should be bad enough to give Dave ample material to entertain.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

I legit choked on my tea reading that. Big Dave's posts on the Observer forums are usually p. hilarious too.

Dave is the best on the board. Really a great troll. I'll always remember his post about biggest draws of all time:

dave posted:

Hogan's the bigger star and drew longer. But Hogan's best year couldn't touch Austin's best year. Hogan made Vince a millionaire. Austin made him a billionaire. HHH & Steph made him a millionaire again.

For podcasts, Alan's shows with Eamo and Justin Shapiro are probably my favorite podcast to listen to, wrestling or otherwise. Even if you don't understand alot of the jokes if you don't regularly read the F4W board.

Captain Kickass
Jan 12, 2007

by angerbeet

El Generico posted:

This podcast is completely, totally, and unabashedly lovely, and I love it. :3:

They don't pretend they're good, either. They know they suck.

dumb_jam
May 8, 2007
Angry Marks (http://www.angrymarks.com/) has a whole load of podcasts, including the one you will hear Ed in San Antonio attempt to plug on Bryan's shows ALL THE TIME. It's called Over The Top radio, and is pretty good - Cutrer often makes songs that appear on B&V and seems to be some sort of redneck sound engineering genius, Craig watches PPVs with Bryan and Ed is apparently tight with ROH's Dave Lagana so they get some quite good guests including a lot of guys you would hear on F4W/WO (eg, last ep was "Dr. Lucha" Steve Sims) and ROH dudes.

I like Tha O Show, based out of Toronto and quite comedy heavy - if you want SERIOUS WRESTLING DISCUSSION this might not be for you but they do get some big name guests as the host helps run an indy in Ontario. Both he and T.I.D. (their MMA correspondent) were the original hosts of the LAW.

The rest of the stuff on there is quite hit and miss. There is a fair spread of MMA amongst the wrestling for those who like both, like me.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I've been enjoying Lagana's Formerly Creative podcasts. It's interesting to hear how the WWE operates creatively, just how much of a bubble they exist in over there, and just how much high-school bullshit goes on. Pro wrestling really is a world of it's own. Crazy stuff.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
On Lagana's new podcast he interview Robert Flores, Sportscenter anchor. I was BLOWN AWAY by the poo poo he knew. The dude is a real wrestling fan.

He's the guy who says Batista Bomb whenever Jose Bautista hits a home run, btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

ChampRamp posted:

On Lagana's new podcast he interview Robert Flores, Sportscenter anchor. I was BLOWN AWAY by the poo poo he knew. The dude is a real wrestling fan.

He's the guy who says Batista Bomb whenever Jose Bautista hits a home run, btw.

Dude drops wrestling references all the time on ESPN. I knew he was a big fan. Definitely going to have to listen to that.

• Locked thread