Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He is right that there are too many lovely schools out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRayPer posted:

He is right that there are too many lovely schools out there.
That there may be, but even those bad ones will wash out sooner or later. He and RVD have been at this for years and STILL kick people in the face.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perigryn posted:

That there may be, but even those bad ones will wash out sooner or later. He and RVD have been at this for years and STILL kick people in the face.

I don't care much for Low Ki, but he and RVD do/did provide something people want to see which is a part of wrestling, and probably the more important part for keeping your job. A more important part to not being an rear end in a top hat and being a good wrestler is not injuring people (on purpose especially) but it's no surprise he is still in the business and still kicking people in the face.

Too often bad wrestlers get trained (or don't get trained) then start schools and train more bad wrestlers. Look at John Zandig and CZW. Most wash out, but some really do leave a bad stain on the business.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hirams Bitch posted:

Doesn't want to get beat up. Wants to cheap shot people that aren't expecting it.

Really, for someone obsessed with looking like the biggest badass, most of his stories are what amounts to sucker punches.

"So yea, during this scripted, entertainment focused, event I totally kicked a dude in the face for real and hurt him, heh, I think we know who the real tough guy is here!"

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

MassRayPer posted:

Too often bad wrestlers get trained (or don't get trained) then start schools and train more bad wrestlers. Look at John Zandig and CZW. Most wash out, but some really do leave a bad stain on the business.
Speaking of CZW and terrible workers:

quote:

SAVE THE DATE! The CZW Academy will be hosting a seminar with Kevin Nash on Wednesday, April 18th. This seminar is open to all wrestlers, managers, referees, & anyone currently undergoing training; it is not limited to only the CZW Academy. No matter where you work, you are welcome to attend! Nash has had quite the career in professional wrestling; do not miss out on your chance to learn from one of the men who has done it all! More details including a time & location for the seminar will be coming soon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Perigryn posted:

Speaking of CZW and terrible workers:

"Nash has had quite the career", well, yea, I guess we can all agree on that as long as we don't have to say what tone we imagine that in.

Also "The man who has done it all", I was going to write a list of his actual accomplishments they could have used instead of the typical vague wash-up language but I am legit drawing a blank.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Glitterbomber posted:

"Nash has had quite the career", well, yea, I guess we can all agree on that as long as we don't have to say what tone we imagine that in.

Also "The man who has done it all", I was going to write a list of his actual accomplishments they could have used instead of the typical vague wash-up language but I am legit drawing a blank.
He's managed to remain employed within the biggest companies in the business despite limited/deteriorating mobility and promo skills. Even after he blackmailed his way out of a recently signed TNA contract to come back at the Rumble and be involved in derailing Punk's momentum, he's already talking about going back because he has more friends there and the Impact Zone is 50 miles away from home.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

CombineThresher posted:

I see what you mean, but I can understand the divide. Pro wrestling is corny/lovable fake fighting for rednecks and high school dropouts. Sports entertainment is something WWE made up to hoodwink the NY and NJ athletic commissions, and has become synonymous with a hacky sideshow in which clumsy ex-bodybuilders act out Vince's myriad personal issues.

Not just WWE/F. WCW had constant references to it's status as a Sports Entertainment promotion if you watch old episodes of Nitro. TNA used to do it too until they attempted to re-brand themselves.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perigryn posted:

The reason I've figured there are so many bad schools is because there are limited options for income when it comes to wrestlers not in the WWE, TNA or outside of North America. If you want to make some money and you have a wrestling ring, you become a trainer. Also, the best way to keep show costs down is to put your trainees on the show and pay them nothing because they are paying their dues. When due paying stops and getting paid starts? Eh, who knows!

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lone Rogue posted:

The reason I've figured there are so many bad schools is because there are limited options for income when it comes to wrestlers not in the WWE, TNA or outside of North America. If you want to make some money and you have a wrestling ring, you become a trainer. Also, the best way to keep show costs down is to put your trainees on the show and pay them nothing because they are paying their dues. When due paying stops and getting paid starts? Eh, who knows!
Worked for Quackenbush, though I think he does help his students get outside bookings.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Perigryn posted:

Worked for Quackenbush, though I think he does help his students get outside bookings.

That's actually a part of the tradition they keep.

It used to be customary for a veteran wrestler who was training some guys to take them on the road so they can work as volunteers and maybe do a few jobs for experience. When they eventually get better than just job matches, the trainer tends to tell their students to ask about their pay. It used to be a big moment for a trainer and a wrestler because that meant he was now pro.

That's an ideal situation I'm speaking of, but part of being a trainer is teaching your boys how to work outside of the territory and get booked and paid. If you want to demand more money for your training, you gotta train some names.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Perigryn posted:

Not as much as he used to, which might be for the best because most of his his trainees aren't very good in non-Chikara situations.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Perigryn posted:

He's managed to remain employed within the biggest companies in the business despite limited/deteriorating mobility and promo skills. Even after he blackmailed his way out of a recently signed TNA contract to come back at the Rumble and be involved in derailing Punk's momentum, he's already talking about going back because he has more friends there and the Impact Zone is 50 miles away from home.

Kevin Nash: King of the Turds.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Kevin Nash instructions on how to be a wrestler.

Step 1: Be really tall.
Step 2: Have influential friends.
Step 3: Drink and smoke weed every day.

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!
The Punchsport Podcast is back again! And once again we're talking about...

Punchsport Podcast: WrestleMania XXVIII Preview
Starring: The Goog, HulkaMatt

We look back at last year's WrestleMania, run down the card for this year's (complete with predictions), and talk about the other shows that happen on WrestleMania weekend. I also have a very stupid quote about Triple H, which I promise to use as the text should I wind up buying a Shoveltar.

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

I'm playing catch-up on Cabana's podcast and am listening to Compton's story about Power Uti. He hasn't even gotten to Nigeria yet and I love it.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

TUS posted:

I'm playing catch-up on Cabana's podcast and am listening to Compton's story about Power Uti. He hasn't even gotten to Nigeria yet and I love it.
Here's the press conference they beat the hell out of Uti in:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BwtA5vxTeE

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

"Anyone who buys that shirt is mentally deranged anyway."

Have they released figures on how well the Cena Sucks shirt sold?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Arbite posted:

"Anyone who buys that shirt is mentally deranged anyway."

Have they released figures on how well the Cena Sucks shirt sold?

Not that I've seen, but I generally see 1 or 2 of them at each show. I would bet they aren't selling well, but well enough to justify them existing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

during the Joey Ryan interview on Art of Wrestling, there was named that was bleeped out. Anyone know who it was?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Sometimes it's funny listening to the Observer. I didn't mind last night's Raw at all, I thought it did an ok job of building Mania. Then I hear Meltzer rip it apart, and I start thinking "huh that's right, that really didn't make much sense at all. And everything you're saying sounds way more entertaining!"

I guess the difference is that I went into last night expecting the bare minimum. I really didn't expect them to step things up much at all from the last few weeks, and they delivered.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Sometimes it's funny listening to the Observer. I didn't mind last night's Raw at all, I thought it did an ok job of building Mania. Then I hear Meltzer rip it apart, and I start thinking "huh that's right, that really didn't make much sense at all. And everything you're saying sounds way more entertaining!"

I guess the difference is that I went into last night expecting the bare minimum. I really didn't expect them to step things up much at all from the last few weeks, and they delivered.

What was Meltzer saying?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Lone Rogue posted:

What was Meltzer saying?

Basically that the Rock & Cena feud lacked any sort of creativity. There was so much they could have done without laying a finger on each other, and they didn't really do any of it. It seems like creative just went "ok guys go out there and say whatever".

He also didn't like the fact that there wasn't any real hatred between the two. Like, they maybe said they hated each other once or twice, but here they are less than a week before Mania just gabbing at each other, each waiting patiently for the other to finish.

Like he often does, he compared it to UFC. Rashad & Rampage did a huge buyrate and they didn't touch each other before the fight. You just knew they HATED each other, and they could talk and back that up.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

Basically that the Rock & Cena feud lacked any sort of creativity. There was so much they could have done without laying a finger on each other, and they didn't really do any of it. It seems like creative just went "ok guys go out there and say whatever".

He also didn't like the fact that there wasn't any real hatred between the two. Like, they maybe said they hated each other once or twice, but here they are less than a week before Mania just gabbing at each other, each waiting patiently for the other to finish.

Like he often does, he compared it to UFC. Rashad & Rampage did a huge buyrate and they didn't touch each other before the fight. You just knew they HATED each other, and they could talk and back that up.

I don't believe it's impossible to do a feud without the two getting physical prior but that's a benefit of wrestling and something MMA and boxing has to work around.

As for the hate, I think Cena brought it quite a few times with saying that Rock didn't care, was all Hollywood now and wasn't one of the boys. Maybe for the fans that doesn't resonate but when guys like Orton and Punk are doing interviews and repeating the same things, that's shoot hate. I do agree they should have gone farther.

I still think they needed to get physical and it all comes down to Austin/Rock WMX-7 video with Limp Bizkit. I'm a broken record about it but watching, the big moment is when that dipshit Fred Durst goes, "YEAH!" and Rock and Austin start swinging. That gets your adrenaline pumping and makes you want to see them battle to a resolution in the ring.

I think this whole thing missed that. It's hard to get pumped up about two people arguing. It felt like two people at work arguing with each other on who deserved a promotion.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I don't think there's anything wrong with the type of 'hate' being presented here. There's certainly a believable hatred there (peaking, IMO, with Rock saying he was going to rip Cena's throat out) but there's also a begrudging respect, so I can buy that they wouldn't come to blows right away. In a lot of ways the build is about who is going to have the crowd's support and why, and that at least has been established pretty effectively. That said, they should've gone about 10-20% further than they did last night.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

flashy_mcflash posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with the type of 'hate' being presented here. There's certainly a believable hatred there (peaking, IMO, with Rock saying he was going to rip Cena's throat out) but there's also a begrudging respect, so I can buy that they wouldn't come to blows right away. In a lot of ways the build is about who is going to have the crowd's support and why, and that at least has been established pretty effectively. That said, they should've gone about 10-20% further than they did last night.

The respect part is the thing about this I don't believe for a single solitary moment.

Cena has done nothing but disrespect The Rock and says Rock beating him would ruin everything he's built for himself in the business. He can't stand the thought of a former star coming in and proving that everything he fights for each and every night just takes a short vacation from anothers movie job.

Rock has been defending his integrity while also ripping down Cena as a wrestler. Rock has no respect for what Cena has done just as Cena has no respect for who Rock is now.

WHY THE gently caress ARE THESE GUYS BEING TOO RESPECTFUL TO PUNCH EACH OTHER!?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Lone Rogue, I don't know why you keep bringing this video package stuff up when there's plenty of video of these guys doing physical interaction, even with each other. It's a bizarre point.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

jeffersonlives posted:

Lone Rogue, I don't know why you keep bringing this video package stuff up when there's plenty of video of these guys doing physical interaction, even with each other. It's a bizarre point.

They've hit each other twice.

Last year.

Going into a match, they should be so angry at each other that they want to attack each other.

At least Jericho/Punk did it a smart way with Jericho just not showing up live. There's nothing smart about "WE'RE GOING TO CUT ANGRY PROMOS AT EACH OTHER AFTER A YEAR OF FEUDING AND THEN... walk... away... from each other."

That's the problem with the MMA comparison. MMA is a sport where if Rashad and Rampage didn't have jobs to keep, if they did hate each other, they would just loving duke it out. Well, wrestling ain't a sport. They can duke it out, and then still go on to fight an actual match so the match can decide the winner.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Mar 27, 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
In regards to Rock/Cena, I find myself thinking it could be worse. WWE could have gone and pushed Rock as a full-bore heel, complete with stylists and agents and other sycophantic Hollywood hangers-on, and doing narcissistic stuff like turning down autograph requests and just generally making GBS threads on the fans.

It would have been amazing and awesome and worth exactly diddly-poo poo, as the minute Cena came out the fans would still boo the gently caress out of his squeaky-clean HUSTLE LOYALTY RESPECT WORD LIFE Superman-level-pushed rear end. :smith:

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I wish we could conduct this like a science experiment. See what the crowd reaction & buyrate is like for Rock vs Cena with the usual WWE build, and then compare it to what it would be like had WWE just announced Rock vs Cena at Mania and not had the Rock there to build it up live every single week.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

The respect part is the thing about this I don't believe for a single solitary moment.

Cena has done nothing but disrespect The Rock and says Rock beating him would ruin everything he's built for himself in the business. He can't stand the thought of a former star coming in and proving that everything he fights for each and every night just takes a short vacation from anothers movie job.

Rock has been defending his integrity while also ripping down Cena as a wrestler. Rock has no respect for what Cena has done just as Cena has no respect for who Rock is now.

WHY THE gently caress ARE THESE GUYS BEING TOO RESPECTFUL TO PUNCH EACH OTHER!?

I think some of this came through last night with Rock saying he's beaten Austin and Hogan, and now he has to beat Cena to be considered the best. He obviously respects Cena enough as a professional to name him with those two, and even through all of Cena's snark there is an undercurrent of 'I have to beat this guy to become/remain legitimate'. There is professional respect, but they hate each other personally. It's a battle between two guys that are, in both kayfabe and out, considered to be professionals before anything else and that's what's unique about it to me, though there's an aspect of this at play in the HHH/Taker match as well.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think some of this came through last night with Rock saying he's beaten Austin and Hogan, and now he has to beat Cena to be considered the best. He obviously respects Cena enough as a professional to name him with those two, and even through all of Cena's snark there is an undercurrent of 'I have to beat this guy to become/remain legitimate'. There is professional respect, but they hate each other personally. It's a battle between two guys that are, in both kayfabe and out, considered to be professionals before anything else and that's what's unique about it to me, though there's an aspect of this at play in the HHH/Taker match as well.

I don't know, I just don't see it. I should also add I loving hate "professional respect" in wrestling when it's done how you describe it. It just reminds me of those long rear end promos Triple H would do after a PPV on Raw where he'd talk about how he just had a hell of a match and he respected his opponent and they'd say the same to him. If I want to see professional respect I'll watch the Olympics.

That said, that doesn't mean it can't work. It's just like you say, they hate each other personally but respect each other as talents. Okay cool. So did Hart/Michaels. So did Rock/Austin. So did Angle/Lesnar. So did other feuds. But nobody is paying to see Rock and Cena respect each other and what makes a feud special is when men get desperate. Cena talks desperate but then he gives guarantees. Rock talks desperate but what is he really putting on the line?

Rock/Cena is the banking crisis. It doesn't matter how bad it gets, you know it'll be bailed out by the WM buyrate.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 27, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I think Dave made this point, but they could have done something where Rock & Cena want to throw down, but are split up by security. Simple & easy, but it would add some fire to the feud.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

triplexpac posted:

I think Dave made this point, but they could have done something where Rock & Cena want to throw down, but are split up by security. Simple & easy, but it would add some fire to the feud.

He said those exact things, and it works. Just make people believe they want to beat the living poo poo out of each other, but can't because of outside influences. Have them not appear in the ring together until the final week, so it's all becoming more and more tense until the final confrontation. Kinda like they did last year where Cena would do a promo one week, then Rock the next week and they'd take turns doing promos until they appeared in the ring at the same time the final week. gently caress you could have Miz appear dressed as Rock again. gently caress it all, last year was a better build to Rock/Cena than this year. Problem is last year wasn't Rock/Cena. I think they just assume this is going to break their record and weren't putting too much effort in, hence another Funkasaurus squash on the Wrestlemania go-home show.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Seriously, I was expecting some real intensity on their go-home segment and was sorely let down. It didn't feel like a big fight between bitter rivals was happening at all.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I agree that the build for the match has been suboptimal (and I think that's intentional because they're more worried about Cena than the match itself), but they shouldn't have been exchanging holds or running around doing finishers on each other either. A separated pull apart where they don't actually do anything except perhaps one punch or so is the usual way of building this type of program up, and they never did that last year or this year.

I just don't get the "we don't have enough video for the package that nobody will see who hasn't already bought the show" line of thinking. That's like the last thing they need to worry about; the video package will be great because they're good at it, but it won't do a thing for the match anyway.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Who cares about WWE stuff and the Observer?

Konnan is going to talk booking theory and crazy workers on Court Bauer's podcast. :woop:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It is a scientific fact that WWE has only done one good video package. Remember that HBK/UT rematch? That was carried by Undertaker promos and physical interaction.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

coconono posted:

during the Joey Ryan interview on Art of Wrestling, there was named that was bleeped out. Anyone know who it was?

Might have been Super Dragon or Generico's real name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

It is a scientific fact that WWE has only done one good video package. Remember that HBK/UT rematch? That was carried by Undertaker promos and physical interaction.

The UT-HBK rematch video with the Placebo song is the best thing WWE has ever done.

• Locked thread