Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

There's testing a guy to see how well he does under pressure and then there's killing careers and squashing money making ideas just because you want to see how someone will react. Vince seems to be taking it to an extreme just for his own amusement.

This reminds me of a quote in James B. Stewart's book DisneyWar (which covered Michael Eisner's career and his tumultuous end at Disney), regarding the way Eisner treated ABC executives after he bought the company. I don't have the book in front of me right now, but a top-level executive was quoted as saying, "Most chief executives try to put the best people in the best roles for them to succeed. Michael likes to lock ten wolves in a room and see which one survives."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CombineThresher posted:

It is still a little weird, though, that these nerdy comedy writers keep getting hired to write for a show where jocks beat each other up. As cool and funny and well-intentioned as a lot of those guys are, I can't help thinking that they're out of sync with what wrestling is.

Well, just because you're a fan of something and really enjoy it, that doesn't mean you're qualified to be in the creative process. John Logan apparently has an encyclopedic knowledge of all things Star Trek, but that didn't keep him from turning Star Trek Nemesis into a festering pile of dog poo poo.

Honestly, in many cases fans are the worst kind of people you can hire for your creative team, as evidenced by 99.9 percent of all fantasy booking seen on Internet forums. The reason that these comedy writers keep getting hired is because they are nerds in love with the product, and their demonstrable lack of talent as evidenced by their failed careers means that they probably work for dirt cheap. And since they're dorks about the product, they probably aren't going to say, "No, Stephanie, this isn't the greatest thing since sliced bread."

Timby fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 7, 2011

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CombineThresher posted:

but what I'm learning is that WWE needs to provide much better leadership and guidance for their writing team, since most of them come from outside the wrestling industry.

They also need to bring in guys who actually know how to write for television, as opposed to hacks who will come in for a paycheck. There's a reason that creative was so good when Chris Kreski, who was actually an accomplished television and book writer, took over for Russo. It didn't matter that Kreski was, by his nature, a comedy writer -- he had actual talent, as opposed to these goobers who write lovely episodes for programs that get canceled after two hours.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

savinhill posted:

The name of the podcast makes them sound like a bad morning zoo team, but other than that this sounds like it could be good.

It's not bad. The host, Josh Groberman, is pretty awful, but Bret has a remarkably good radio personality.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ChampRamp posted:

Oh god, I was listening to the Bret show and the Ric Flair call.

Learning that he actually WOOOs on the phone, during a normal conversation, when he isn't in the ring, makes me understand why he has so many ex-wives. The guy may be insane.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Korak posted:

I do find it funny he got so mad over a prank call, even before the prank. He was riled up already and just mentioning the TNA bus ride that never was sent him over the top. I kind of understand getting mad over the Bruiser Brody comment considering how close they were and how Brody died was the 2nd most hosed up wrestler death in history of the business(#1 is Rikidōzan.)

I'd argue that Benoit has that title sewn up. Anyway, I see your point, although Brody's is arguably more horrible than Rikidōzan, since (allegedly, anyway) thugs went into the OR and told everyone to stop operating on Brody or else there would be consequences.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ghostpilot posted:

When it comes to JR, I am not sure whether his bitterness stems from the way he was treated during his tenure or if it was the bitterness that led him to being treated that way.

Honestly it sounds like JR is still incredibly ticked-off over getting fired because it was apparently his fault that Ric Flair was hammered at the WWE 2K14 press event (and no one bothered to think that putting Flair out to do publicity a few months after his son OD'd wasn't a great idea).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea me either

Bret's bitterness, I think, really got out of his system with his book, which I honestly should buy with how many times I've borrowed it from the library. Pre-beating the poo poo out of Vince with a chair at WrestleMania a few years ago, he was still carrying some stuff with him, but I think that also tied in with his family being batshit crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

triplexpac posted:

In the past Dave said Sinclair would be cool with ROH getting a bigger TV deal. In the big picture, if a big tv station wants to pay for ROH programming and give ROH more spotlight that would be good for Sinclair's wrestling company and bring in more money, so why not?

Right. Sinclair's entire model of doing business is:

1: Buy local television stations
2: Get into disputes with cable / satellite providers over carriage fees and threaten to take said stations off the air
3: Goto 1

I'm sure they'd have no issue whatsoever making a cable deal for ROH to get the programming in better timeslots than 9 a.m. on Sunday mornings.

• Locked thread